PDA

View Full Version : Time to GO !!!

08-11-2007, 02:21 AM
Well the PBA meeting went so well. It is nice to see how much the Univeristy cares. To put is plain and simple folks....it is time for ALL of us to move on. TPD is hiring, HCSO is hiring, geez for that matter so is 7-11. I cannot survive not knowing what my family can count on over the next few years.....a bonus will not cut it...

It is time to go.....they dont care and why should we !!!!!

ITS OVER

08-11-2007, 07:00 PM
I have to agree. I have sat back and waited just to see where this would go and I can say I am really not surprised. The University does not care that we most likely loose quite a few people after this waste of time meeting. They seem not to care that the revolving door of officers will be spinning like a fan shortly. Even new officers are disappointed, the 3 year contracts will not hold people here. The morale of the members is the lowest I have ever seen from The senior people

What was offered, which in reality was not an offer, was an embarassment to the members of this Department. Officers in this Department work hard and are dedicated, but being kicked to the curb like we were today was the last straw.

There are many Departments who will hire officers from this agency in a second. Go to an agency were you will be fairly compensated for your work. This is NOT the place anymore. Its time to move on .............

08-11-2007, 10:55 PM
Does R Warnell still work there?

08-12-2007, 12:59 AM

Who the *&%%* cares? Call FDLE and find out.

08-12-2007, 01:02 AM

Yes.

08-12-2007, 02:59 AM
All the University Police depts should come together and make alot of noise to the state Legislature. Because we will always continue to get nothing until they change some of the negotiation rules... the way it is now we have no power at all.

08-12-2007, 01:21 PM
Well the PBA meeting went so well. It is nice to see how much the Univeristy cares. To put is plain and simple folks....it is time for ALL of us to move on. TPD is hiring, HCSO is hiring, geez for that matter so is 7-11. I cannot survive not knowing what my family can count on over the next few years.....a bonus will not cut it...

It is time to go.....they dont care and why should we !!!!!

ITS OVER

Are you requesting take home cars during the negotiations as well as a step plan?

08-13-2007, 03:19 AM
Cars???? with the current IQ of the morons that inhabit the Collins Blvd think tank, we're not on golf carts.

right now a decent pay check is the reality. I think the take home care issue has faded away

08-13-2007, 01:16 PM
Lets be real. Unless USF provides us with a decent budget, the pay raise issue will only attract and retain officers. We will just be better paid officers in an underbudgeted department, squeaking by. Plus I do not anticipate ANYTHING SIGNIFICANT offered by USF, especially a step plan.

08-13-2007, 04:04 PM
Cars???? with the current IQ of the morons that inhabit the Collins Blvd think tank, we're not on golf carts.

right now a decent pay check is the reality. I think the take home care issue has faded away

I am currently on a police dept in central Florida and have been reading your message board. Even with the state of your pay scale, I have been considering applying to your dept. One of the reasons I haven't is lack of take home cars. This adds approx $4,000.00 to your benefits through savings in gas and insurance. From my understanding, you pay to park your vehicles at the University. You would save money by not having to pay this. My dept allows us to use the patrol car off duty within our jurisdiction to go to the store, etc. We are not required to wear a uniform, but we must have our windbreaker with POLICE on it and our firearm.
I hope you get your pay raise, you certainly deserve it. You should fight for this benefit as well, you may have a better chance of getting it given the current atmosphere of budget cuts and the fact you already have a number of patrol cars sitting in your parking lot.

08-13-2007, 08:25 PM
We must currently pay for a parking permit to park in our police parking lot. With the exception of the reserved spots for the patrol cars and unmarked units it is an open employees lot open to any employee with a tag. The lot is not a secure POLICE ONLY lot. The University plans increases over the next few years which will bring the price up to over $400 a year. The issue of take home vehicles has been shot down by USF Admin quite a few times and continues to be a dead issue just like the step plan.

So your starting salary will be your top salary. Thats just how things go here. Don't waste your time.

08-14-2007, 09:26 PM
Why don't you quit complaining and leave? HCSO, TPD, and TTPD are all hiring. Leaving USF was the best decision I ever made. It was a great place to start and some good people work there, but these same issues have been plaguing the department for years and there is no real end in sight. Plus, I got tired of the whole UP thing. Trust me, being a LEO outside of a university setting is more rewarding (both monetarily and personally) and more fun.

08-15-2007, 12:33 AM
ExLeo,
Sounds great, so what dont you move on and leave us the hell alone then. I am sure you are so busy responding to calls and counting all the money your making, you really shouldnt have time to make comments on our message board. Get it OUR message board....go away.

08-15-2007, 01:04 AM
He was just making a post. I read all of the surrounding agency leoaffairs posts, and it's true, and will always be for the University Police Department here in Tampa, If you want the high action, go to the bigger agencies. If you want the higher pay, go to the bigger agencies, USf will never have the action the other police departments have and will never have the pay..period. It is a shame though that USF Police starting salary is about it...no good raises compared to the other police departments. You should get some kind of raises there. I feel sorry for the new people that sign that 3 yr contract not knowing that the pay is crap, it's really not fair. With your pay, you could pay your rent and thats about it unless you have another income or spend all your time working overtime. The take home car helps a lot, which most agencies have. The cost of living has really caught up with the pay at USF I guess.

08-15-2007, 01:13 AM
Ex LEo has a very good point. I don't know how anyone, after that last meeting with the University, can post here with any sort seriousness that the UP is a great place to make a living. Sure if you are single, and your wife works and you have no kids, its ok.

Things are NOT all right here and it will only get worse. Any officer who wants a decent living USFPD is not the place. Sorry to state the facts.

08-15-2007, 03:01 AM
Listen, no one forced the new hires to sign a three year contract. They saw what the starting pay was, and should have known the type of policing involved out here.

For those of you that are *****ing, here is an idea..........LEAVE...we do not need you here and do not want you here. Go to the other agencies, and live a happy life. Other wise do your job that you get paid for and be quiet...you too came here willingly at one time!!!!

08-15-2007, 04:04 AM
There are happy people that have gotten raises during this dry periold of pay raises. The same ones that were *****ing doing the same *****ing and ready to leave had they not gotten raises.

No new hire is forced to sign a contract, but they do it out of inexperience and don't realize coming into this job that there are no pay raises, I garuntee you. They will be making about the same as someone that has been working here 5 years, and that as a patrolman they will always be the bottom of the bucket for the rest of their career in this agency. The only way to get a raise is to get promoted, and thats if you're liked at the time.

On top of the crappy pay, the place is paper happy and IA happy. The paper comes easy and IA's are initiated over minor things that should never make it to an IA. These are major moral killers, especially to new people. 99% of these situations could be handled in other ways, which you will find it is in most other departments, especially ones with career patrolmen.

At USF, there are no career patrolmen, you either get promoted or move on after 10 yrs. USF PD lacks a lot of experience and common in it's administration, and this is another reason why people sign on here and can't wait to leave after a year.

08-15-2007, 05:14 AM
ExLeo,
Sounds great, so what dont you move on and leave us the hell alone then. I am sure you are so busy responding to calls and counting all the money your making, you really shouldnt have time to make comments on our message board. Get it OUR message board....go away.

Who took a piss in your Wheaties? It looks like I struck a nerve. I don't really know why, as everything I stated was a cold, hard fact. Why are you so mad at someone for speaking the truth? Is it because you know it too but can't leave because either you can't get hired anywhere else or are too scared to do real police work? I think so.

If you want to defend how great a place this is, post your name. That way the admin can see who to promote next and we can see who out there is actually happy as UP. I think that if I saw your name, I could probably figure out which one of the two reasons above fits your reason for staying.

08-20-2007, 03:30 AM
I was looking into USF, but I was told not to apply there because of low pay and moral. After reading these posts about about no pay raises and poor supervision, whats up? I'm not to worried about the pay, I just want to finish a masters degree. Is the supervison that bad there as I've been told? and read on these forums?

Ive got a job now that has horrible supervison and want to get out of. I thought it would be better at a University, with more educated people, not what I have read on these forums. I am in great physical shape, and I have been through the police academy. I am certified as an LEO. Does USF still offer the the free college credits?

08-20-2007, 07:11 AM
Listen dont come here just to pad your college career......See ya !!!!

08-20-2007, 03:34 PM
Hey..dont listen to that crap. We need good officers even if you are only here for the 4 years it will take you to complete your masters. Yes USF offers free tuition for employees but only 6 credits per semester. We have openings and plenty of overtime events to work so come on!

By the way we have great supervisors and the chief is behind us 100%. It is the university that doesnt support us like it should but if pay is not an problem for you then this is a great place to work. Apply!