PDA

View Full Version : sso sheriff

08-10-2007, 12:15 PM
Sheriff Balkwill retiring in 2009

Posted on Thursday August 09, 2007

SARASOTA COUNTY -After 32 years of service with Sarasota County Sheriff's Office, Sheriff Bill Balkwill is retiring.

With his wife Gail at his side, Balkwill said concern for his elderly parents. Both are 83 and his mother has Alzheimer’s. Balkwill says wants time now to help care for them.

Other family reasons include spending more time with his wife, his two children.

He noted the murder of Carlie Brucia was both a dark chapter and a bright spot in his 31 years to date as sheriff. The bright spot being the work he commended his officers for that solved the case and led to the conviction of Joseph Smith.

Balkwill also thanked his staff and his officers and said he had notified them only this morning of his decision.

Fighting back tears, here's how Sheriff Balkwill announced his resignation. "After…after 32 years of service, many discussions and prayers with my wife and family. I've decided I'm going to retire from the Sarasota County Sheriff's Office."

Sheriff Balkwill's retirement takes effect January 5th 2009.

We will hear more from Balkwill and his reason for announcing his decision on ABC 7 News at 5.