PDA

View Full Version : Traffic Court Meltdown!

08-09-2007, 08:21 PM
I heard that we no longer have to refrain from offering input on cases after a meeting with the Chief and a Judge in Court today?
True?
Is the General Order still in effect and will this reduce the backlog of cases?

08-09-2007, 09:22 PM
I'll believe it when they post a new GO.

08-09-2007, 09:26 PM
The order never said you can not give input. What it did say was that you can not argue with the judge about the ruling. For some reason everyone took that to mean you cant give input.

08-10-2007, 08:16 AM
Effective immediately and per the order of Chief Hogue, all personnel are prohibited from signing any plea agreement in traffic court. The only exception to this rule will be cases where the officer has received specific advance permission from a sergeant (or above) to agree to case dismissal when subsequently obtained information proves that the original citation should not have been issued.

Otherwise, officers must not be a party to any written plea agreement or orally state in court an opinion as to the appropriate disposition of a traffic case to include withholding adjudication, recommending court costs, or any other sanctions. <------INPUT

That responsibility rests solely with the presiding judge.

Also, once the court announces a decision in a case, all argument should cease. There must be no attempt by officers to restate facts, point out things possibly overlooked by the court, or otherwise attempt to continue the discussion.

08-14-2007, 05:00 AM
Effective immediately and per the order of Chief Hogue, all personnel are prohibited from signing any plea agreement in traffic court. The only exception to this rule will be cases where the officer has received specific advance permission from a sergeant (or above) to agree to case dismissal when subsequently obtained information proves that the original citation should not have been issued.

Otherwise, officers must not be a party to any written plea agreement or orally state in court an opinion as to the appropriate disposition of a traffic case to include withholding adjudication, recommending court costs, or any other sanctions. <------INPUT

That responsibility rests solely with the presiding judge.

Also, once the court announces a decision in a case, all argument should cease. There must be no attempt by officers to restate facts, point out things possibly overlooked by the court, or otherwise attempt to continue the discussion.YOUR DEPARTMENT SOUNDS LIKE IT'S GONE INTO TO THE SEWER LIKE MINE!! Please, brother and siters in law enforcement (If you are a team player that is), Who cares what the out come is!!!! as long as your traffic court session is on overtime, YOU ARE THE WINNER!!! SOLVE NO CRIME UNLESS ITS ON OVERTIME!!!

08-14-2007, 03:19 PM
Solve no crime unless its on overtime?

Not sure what department you are from but I do not think any Tampa officers fall into a thought process like that. We are paid well for the work we do and I can't think of any TPD officer that would want an actual tax paying citizen to think that we work under those conditions.

If that is your attitude please keep it to yourself and don't infect us with a cancer like that.

***steps down from soap box***

08-14-2007, 08:46 PM
Solve no crime unless its on overtime?

Not sure what department you are from but I do not think any Tampa officers fall into a thought process like that. We are paid well for the work we do and I can't think of any TPD officer that would want an actual tax paying citizen to think that we work under those conditions.

If that is your attitude please keep it to yourself and don't infect us with a cancer like that.

***steps down from soap box***Yeah, the job is on the level D3. That guy should "steps down from soap box". Life is just so wonderful here in TPD. Tax payers are without a doubt on the top of my list of concerns. We need more cops like you.