PDA

View Full Version : Why Are We Arresting Our Own?

08-08-2007, 08:13 PM
I read an article in the paper today that we arrested a Polk County firefighter for DUI. What ever happened to the days where we parked the car and called the wife to drive him home. Instead we arrest and ruin a guys career for a mistake.

Regardless of it being a firefighter or a LEO, we need to go back to our roots and take care of each other. People make mistakes, we have discretion!

http://www.abcactionnews.com/news/local ... b430391f95 (http://www.abcactionnews.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=4beff10c-6de9-4dfd-b2f0-4cb430391f95)

08-08-2007, 08:57 PM
He probably MF'd the cop and showed is butt....some of the worst offenders of "you have to give me a break cause I have a badge" were fireighters.

08-08-2007, 09:50 PM
Along the same lines, I guess TPD should not have arrested the Tampa firefighter who was caught committing a commercial burglary? Seriously, firefighting is not like LE. A DUI is not going to end a firefighter's career.

Where does this "professional courtesy" end? LEOs is accepted. I've heard many also extend it to nurses. Some doctors. Some give it to teachers. And many give it to firefighters. Oh, but how about the EMTs who work on the BLS ambulances? Some think they deserve it too. Yet others extend it to the military, even though any of us who have been in the military know that the militay is full of morons.

Personally, I do not make it a practice to ask people what they do for a living after I stop them. Aside from a few exceptions, I don't believe there should be a "laundry list" of occupations who should be exempt from tickets and other enforcement action.

08-08-2007, 10:00 PM
There is a difference between a .08 and a .21, he was sloppy drunk. his but deserved to go to jail. How many cops have been hurt by dui's. I know i don't want to be hit by one.

08-08-2007, 10:44 PM
This is the "ME" era, the only time a break should happen is when its for "ME"

08-08-2007, 11:01 PM
These cases have a lot to do with a person's level of intoxication, their attitude, and their cooperation during the investigation. This driver was over 2 1/2 times the limit. Remember, these drivers create their own problems, not us.

08-09-2007, 01:22 AM
I am actually surprised by most of these comments. I was sure it would take a nasty turn immediately because he is a firefighter.

I pose this question...how many of you have the "balls" to call the guys family or a cab? Lets just say it's just you and him. No supervisors, no S54. You come across a guy who was not an "ass" but just made a mistake.

Who would do the right thing? I know I would.

08-09-2007, 01:57 AM
Me too. I am also old school and we are a dying breed. This new generation seems to have no family values and no sense of brotherhood. Up north the Police and the Fireman are tight and they support each other like brothers should. Tampa and Florida in general is such a melting pot of different ethnicities from all over the country and nobody seems to support one another. What is the relationship like between Tampa PD and Hillsborough SO for example? I bet most of this new breed would drop the hammer on one another if given the chance and then brag about it. Police Officers and firefighters need to support each other because the public loves to criticize any public figures and hates that their taxes pay your job. Look at the recent tax cuts...the public could care less that it may result in less services like new firehouses and more officers on the street, but let something happen to them and they will be crying foul and trying to sue someone. Bottom line is, if you don't support each other, nobody will!

08-09-2007, 03:18 AM
So answer this question then.....where does professional courtesy end?

Cops?
Firefighters?
Nurses?
Doctors?
Assistant State Attorneys?
EMTs?
Paramedics?
Active Duty Military?
Reserve Military?
Teachers?
Ministers?
TSA Security Screeners?
Politicians?
Dispatchers?
Civilian Department Employees?
Civilian Employees of Other Agencies?
Code Inspectors?
Animal Control Officers?
Parking Enforcement?
Security Guards?
Parks and Rec Workers?
Sanitation Workers?
ANY Government Employee in general?

...AND

The families of all of the above?

SO, where does professional courtesy end? Maybe the better thing to do would be to create a list of people who SHOULD be allowed to have tickets written to them rather than those who should not.

08-09-2007, 03:47 AM
I pose this question...how many of you have the "balls" to call the guys family or a cab?

Let's talk about balls here for a second.

If YOU had any balls, you would go find the officer who made the arrest and ask him about it point-blank instead of posting a message slamming him and his decision making on a PUBLIC internet forum. I personally know of the situation in question, and will not comment on it because it would be improper to do so since it is an active case. But rest assured that the arrest WAS justified. Period. That's it. The end.

Were YOU at the scene? I think not. So why is someone who is spouting "brotherhood" posting a message on the internet slamming a BROTHER officer who was doing his JOB when you don't know all the FACTS?

Post YOUR name and YOUR contact information and I will make sure the officer who made the arrest makes contact with YOU and explains everything. That is, unless your whole purpose here is just to stir the pot.

08-09-2007, 04:12 AM
As a matter of fact I don't write fire fighters, nurses, doctors, teachers, military, cops, state attorneys, priests, other city employee's and generally nice people. I let more people go than I write tickets. Why? Because it does nothing but make the city money. We talk all this crap about how traffic enforcement serves the purpose of educating drivers with the purpose of reducing traffic crashes. Well it does not do that at all. Pull the stats on the last five years. Citations have increased several hundred percent, and traffic crashes continue to increase. This only leaves one option. The city pushes it and promotes people who write citations for their own agenda - more tax money. By the same token I have stopped fire fighters from other agencies loitering in the area of Nebraska and Annie at 0200. I dropped the hammer on them as it was clear what they were up to. It has nothing to do with being old school. The times have changed. Society has changed. But that is a different argument for a different day.

08-09-2007, 02:38 PM
Citations have increased several hundred percent, and traffic crashes continue to increase

You should go pull the stats, crashes are down citywide.

Here is another fact the city spent almost as much on overtime for traffic court last year than it made on tickets. Its a wash for the city, not a money maker. If the city wanted to make money they would push parking tickets not UTC.

Strong traffic enforcement has resulted in fewer crashes and plays a big roll in crime reduction in general. Squads tend to make more narcotic and felony arrest off traffic stops than any other citizen encounter. Furthermore if you look at the number of traffic stops conducted citywide you will find only 1/3 of those stops result in traffic citations.

Now back to the topic at hand,I will cut almost everyone listed above a break on a traffic stop if they have a good attitude. In fact I think I have given everyone you listed a break on a traffic stop at one time or another. I have also given breaks to people who work at Burger King.

when it comes to minor criminal violations I like to consider is this worth ruining someones career and having them shamed on every news channel? The garbage man is not going to make the news for DUI. Its not going to end his career. He is not going to be seeked out by the media.

Cops and firefighters will get the tripple wammy.

1. They will be arrested and because of thier position the SAO will play hardball instead of giving them the typical pleadeal of reckless driving.

2. The media will shame you for 48 hours on every news channel and news paper with the worse mug shot of your life. Something the General public will not get

3. You will be discplined up to termination from you employer. something that the general public does not get.

So ask yourself does the punishment fit the crime. Because cops and firefighters will be treated differently. You can count on that.

08-09-2007, 06:19 PM
Cops? NO NEVER
Firefighters? No Never
Nurses? Rarely
Doctors? Yes
Assistant State Attorneys? ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!
EMTs? NO
Paramedics? No
Active Duty Military? No
Reserve Military? Rarely
Teachers? Yes
Ministers? Yes
TSA Security Screeners? Yes
Politicians? AS MUCH AS WE CAN
Dispatchers? No
Civilian Department Employees? Depends
Civilian Employees of Other Agencies? Depends
Code Inspectors? Yes
Animal Control Officers? Yes
Parking Enforcement? Yes
Security Guards? Yes
Parks and Rec Workers? Yes
Sanitation Workers? Yes
ANY Government Employee in general? Yes

I am amazed that you needed us to tell you these answers. You wont find them on the Sgt's exam. You should have learned these answers before you pinned on a badge!

08-09-2007, 06:26 PM
So it is okay to break the law as long as you are a cop? You guys are stuck on yourselves.

08-09-2007, 06:40 PM
Unfortunatly our society has become lawsuit happy! All it would take is for him to get picked up by someone and then after you leave, returns and drives off. Who do you think they are going to sue, if he hits someone. Not only will they sue the city, they will sue you also. It has happened, not only did the injuried party sue, so did the drunks family for not arresting him. I have given breaks to everyone listed. I did arrest a captain from MacDill AFB in the 80's because, he was passed out behind the wheel on Adamo Dr in a traffic lane. I found out that it was his 2nd DUI and he was forced to retire at a lesser rank. You have to remember that its your career and don't jepordize it by giving someone a break. It just may come back and bite you in the a$$.

08-09-2007, 07:39 PM
Ok, first off: How in the hell is he "one of our own"? Not only is he NOT a cop, but he's a POLK Co. firefighter.

Also, did you think the Tampa Firefighter should have been given a break when he was caught burglarizing a cell phone store 2 months ago?

08-09-2007, 09:27 PM
Also, did you think the Tampa Firefighter should have been given a break when he was caught burglarizing a cell phone store 2 months ago?

I asked the same question, but it seems as those who are blasting the officer for making the arrest are puposely ignoring it.

Which is all complete BS, because everyone who has any knowledge of fire/EMS/military knows that a DUI will not cost one of them their career. The arrest that actually WILL cost someone their career is being ignored.

I guess they don't want to admit that professional courtesy should only go so far.

08-10-2007, 12:55 AM
I think everyone on the department knows atleast one other person on this department who has been arrested for DUI because there are several of them. They have kept their jobs and I believe a DUI would cost a police officer their job before it would cost a firefighter theirs. For one, we are held to a higher standard than they are and also how many of them are actually responsible for driving vehicles while at work?

08-10-2007, 01:41 AM
Now this is the way the string was gonna go, I wondered how long it would take.

I can't address all these comments at once because we all hate to read long posts.

1. I am NOT stirring the pot. Calling the wife or a cab was our practice. Society and political pressure has made some officers call their supervisors for all the answers. When you call your boss, well guess what he's gonna say.

2. Comparing DUI to Burglary. My lord brother, how can you make that analogy? They are two very separate things and the burglar needs to go to jail.

3. Lastly, regarding the traffic stop and not posting my name. This post was GENERIC in tone. This traffic stop and arrest is just something we all can relate to. If the guy was an a$$hole during the traffic stop then by all means make the arrest. Not all of them are like that.

I have been a cop for 15 years. I have seen alot in my career and I have been some stupid decisions. Our job is 95% common sense and good judgement. Some of us could do a better job.

God forbid, we are not all perfect.

08-10-2007, 04:01 AM
Firefighter drinks to excess gets in vehicle and drives. Driving under the influence to the point that his impairment is observed by a LEO and he is stopped. He made the decision to drive impaired and the LEO made the decision to make a lawful arrest.
If the firefighter would have crashed into your family while he was impaired and injured or killed a love one I am sure your views of the brotherhood of public safety would be different.
He would have probably would have survived the crash due to his intoxicated state. He thumbed his nose at all of us when he decided to drive drunk. He could have slept it off he could have called a cab or a fellow member of the " brotherhood" for a ride. I know I would offer to drive a brother or sister in blue home no questions asked.
Hopefully if this guy has a drinking problem he has learned a lesson and will get help. I have been drunk and I have been sober and I enjoy being sober better as I don't lose control and do something stupid and I speak from experience my friend and I am not throwing stones.

08-10-2007, 04:32 AM
As you can see, no matter what decision you make these days in this job somebody will second guess you. This is why this job has gotten so difficult and stressful. The best solution to any scenario is to do what feels right in your heart and screw what everyone thinks. This is a hopelessly declining profession due to the evergrowing lack of support by the public and your Agency. Just use common sense and hope that nobody sues you, because if you make this your career, somebody undoubtably will at one point or another. Great job huh.... :roll:

08-10-2007, 01:44 PM
I probably wouldnt write a code inspector. I guess it depends on who and what is going on. Some of them guys can fu@k your day up. I would find another way to handle the situation.
Ministers? Come on
Discretion is the better part of valor.
Everyone fu*ks up.

08-10-2007, 04:50 PM
I would be very careful in arresting an LEO for DUI because law enforcement is a life not just a job and as LEO's we go through a lot. If an LEO is DUI and really gives the officer a hard time, then thats another story. If the LEO's attitude is good and you feel you have to do something call his agency and release him to a fellow officer. I've been in law enforcement a long time and have stopped a few LEO's and never had a problem calling someone to help them. If you are one of those officers who lets your emotions take over and you do make an arrest that you could have maybe helped the officer then you have to live with it. What goes around comes around. We do have a few that just don't care or have a conscience. I think of what that officer had to go through to be a cop and the service he has given to the community and also his family. I remember an LEO that I helped and I contacted him a few weeks later to see how he was doing, we became friends. It really was a good feeling and his career turned out great. Please give it some thought. Thanks, be safe.

08-10-2007, 05:17 PM
[quote="old school !"]Now this is the way the string was gonna go, I wondered how long it would take.

I can't address all these comments at once because we all hate to read long posts.

1. I am NOT stirring the pot. Calling the wife or a cab was our practice. Society and political pressure has made some officers call their supervisors for all the answers. When you call your boss, well guess what he's gonna say.

2. Comparing DUI to Burglary. My lord brother, how can you make that analogy? They are two very separate things and the burglar needs to go to jail

3. Lastly, regarding the traffic stop and not posting my name. This post was GENERIC in tone. This traffic stop and arrest is just something we all can relate to. If the guy was an a$$hole during the traffic stop then by all means make the arrest. Not all of them are like that.

I have been a cop for 15 years. I have seen alot in my career and I have been some stupid decisions. Our job is 95% common sense and good judgement. Some of us could do a better job.

God forbid, we are not all perfect.[/qu I agree with your post. Common sense is needed. We need to have more compassion for our fellow officers and the public in general. I cannot imagine anyone at TPD arresting a fellow officer unless the officer really gave him a very hard time, there are other ways to handle these issues. It would be hard to think one of our own would arrest an officer just to make a dui, thats sick.

08-11-2007, 11:07 AM
I got NOTHING for firemen. They mean nothing to me. never will.

The fact they think they deserve something extra is laughable. This day in age you cannot give breaks that involve ANY criminal behavior to cops, let alone some dork with a fire hose.

In the end I will not lose my career and my future because some idiot can"t decide when not to drive after he drank alcohol.

I didn't do it to you , you did.

I would like to add I view it as an insult to be regarded in the same group as fire personnel. Refrain from such name calling in the future.

08-11-2007, 12:27 PM
"Screw Fire" Lets be professionals. I am a cop and respect fire for the lives they save. My family lived because of what they do.

My father was burned in a house fire and lived because of what they did for him. My marked unit was in the driveway!

Have some respect, we all have a job to do.

08-11-2007, 02:55 PM
Anyone that don't help fellow officers, fire and citizens should not be LEO's. If they don't give you a hard time, try and help them. Everyone makes mistakes. If you really need to make dui arrest just go to a bucs football game or the fop. Some exceptions do exist. If a fellow officer needs help and don't give you a hard time, then help. We have a few at TPD that don't care and would arest their own, We know who they are and they will never change and they are not respected.

08-11-2007, 09:22 PM
The above post is no LEO but most likely a fireman. Typical

08-11-2007, 11:19 PM
The above post is no LEO but most likely a fireman. Typical Dream on, You're the one thats not a LEO. You might work at tpd but you're not a LEO. You are one of the ones who arrest you're own, you're time is near. I know who you are.

08-11-2007, 11:43 PM
You know who I am but I'd like to know who your english teacher is. If you were TPD you'd know its capitalized and its you not you're..... moron imposter wannabe dipstick. I know who you are too, a friggin moron!!!!.

08-12-2007, 12:37 AM
I got NOTHING for firemen. They mean nothing to me. never will.

The fact they think they deserve something extra is laughable. This day in age you cannot give breaks that involve ANY criminal behavior to cops, let alone some dork with a fire hose.

In the end I will not lose my career and my future because some idiot can"t decide when not to drive after he drank alcohol.

I didn't do it to you , you did.

I would like to add I view it as an insult to be regarded in the same group as fire personnel. Refrain from such name calling in the future.

Your a frickin idiot. I consider Fire personnel part of the brotherhood of public safety personnel. You obviously have some bone to pick with them..................whats a matter you get turned down for a fireman job? Im my 17 years in Law Enforcement I have never had a problem with a Fireman and respect the job they do.

08-12-2007, 12:51 AM
Then you're an azzwipe like the fire guy is. In the end he breaks the law and you want to protect him and risk your carrer for an idiot with no self control or common sense. 17 years huh? your daddy must be chief cuz you're too stupid to have lasted that long on your own.

08-12-2007, 01:42 AM
F.uck those lazy, Video game playing Slab savers!!!! Part of the Brotherhood my a$$

08-12-2007, 11:48 AM
You guys realize that you young officers have to stand up and make a change. Stop the divide between fire and HCSO. We all do the same job "Serve the Public". These guys will be the only ones to save our asses if we get knee deep in it.

Look at New Orleans for example. Do we want to become what they are or have been? I think not.

Stand up and accept change. Visit a firehouse and backup a deputy.

08-13-2007, 12:11 PM
Anyone that don't help fellow officers, fire and citizens should not be LEO's. If they don't give you a hard time, try and help them. Everyone makes mistakes. If you really need to make dui arrest just go to a bucs football game or the fop. Some exceptions do exist. If a fellow officer needs help and don't give you a hard time, then help. We have a few at TPD that don't care and would arest their own, We know who they are and they will never change and they are not respected.Senior LEO, I'm sorry to inform you that the job is dead. Law enforcement used to be the family business. The generational cop days are over. I come from a long blood line of cops and it makes me sick to my stomach what the job has turned into. Look around you, the two year detective, the sergeant with the felony conviction that can't spell his or her name, the captain that has been hired and fired five times, the rats that run around the station, and the rookie teaching the new hire how to be a cop. Senior LEO, I know where you're coming from but we are extinct. The way I avoid jamming up another civil servant is I Do Nothing but collect a paycheck. The day I jam another civil servant will never come. The garbage running around in uniform is a disgrace. You hire people walking out of custody from the main jail and what do you expect. Close your eyes and just race into retirement. They just don't get it!!! DO NOTHING, THEY ONLY REJOICE IN OUR SUFFERING!!!

08-13-2007, 04:28 PM
[quote="senior LEO":2raz8w63]Anyone that don't help fellow officers, fire and citizens should not be LEO's. If they don't give you a hard time, try and help them. Everyone makes mistakes. If you really need to make dui arrest just go to a bucs football game or the fop. Some exceptions do exist. If a fellow officer needs help and don't give you a hard time, then help. We have a few at TPD that don't care and would arest their own, We know who they are and they will never change and they are not respected.Senior LEO, I'm sorry to inform you that the job is dead. Law enforcement used to be the family business. The generational cop days are over. I come from a long blood line of cops and it makes me sick to my stomach what the job has turned into. Look around you, the two year detective, the sergeant with the felony conviction that can't spell his or her name, the captain that has been hired and fired five times, the rats that run around the station, and the rookie teaching the new hire how to be a cop. Senior LEO, I know where you're coming from but we are extinct. The way I avoid jamming up another civil servant is I Do Nothing but collect a paycheck. The day I jam another civil servant will never come. The garbage running around in uniform is a disgrace. You hire people walking out of custody from the main jail and what do you expect. Close your eyes and just race into retirement. They just don't get it!!! DO NOTHING, THEY ONLY REJOICE IN OUR SUFFERING!!![/quote:2raz8w63] I agree with you it's sad. The golden rule no longer exist. I would like to really check the background of some of these officers who really don't care about their fellow officers. Yes, it makes me sick, too.

08-14-2007, 02:15 AM
You guys are right.............Fellow Leo's and especially Dept heads absolutely have no meaning of the word brotherhood anymore. I have learned from the heat of military battle what a true brother will do for his fellow brother, and what I see now in this profession makes me too want to barf. It is bad enough that the lowlife people we deal with in society every day hate us and would kill a Leo at the drop of a hat rather than go to jail. Nowadays we have to also deal with all the activist groups, politicians, whacko parents and their kids and everybody looking to sue you for something. We should not have to also deal with head hunting leaders who would throw you to he wolves if it makes them look good and fellow cops that stab you in the back just to get ahead. In the old days these idiots would get a nice blanket party to explain things to them.

08-14-2007, 04:45 AM
You guys are right.............Fellow Leo's and especially Dept heads absolutely have no meaning of the word brotherhood anymore. I have learned from the heat of military battle what a true brother will do for his fellow brother, and what I see now in this profession makes me too want to barf. It is bad enough that the lowlife people we deal with in society every day hate us and would kill a Leo at the drop of a hat rather than go to jail. Nowadays we have to also deal with all the activist groups, politicians, whacko parents and their kids and everybody looking to sue you for something. We should not have to also deal with head hunting leaders who would throw you to he wolves if it makes them look good and fellow cops that stab you in the back just to get ahead. In the old days these idiots would get a nice blanket party to explain things to them.Dear Guest, just like Senior LEO, I agree with everything you have to say, but the biggest disappointment to me is that law enforcement is not the military. They say law enforcement is like a para military organization. YEAH RIGHT!! I have been a cop for twenty years and became one right out of the Marine Corps. Just remember, this job is a JOKE, just don't let them catch you LAUGHING. Get a little click together and stick by each other. You don't need a million cops to make life as a police officer better. Believe it or not five cops will do!! If you leave this earth with two loyal friends you had worked with on the job and they show to your funeral, your twenty years were very succesful!!!! GOD SPEED

08-14-2007, 04:50 AM
You guys are right.............Fellow Leo's and especially Dept heads absolutely have no meaning of the word brotherhood anymore. I have learned from the heat of military battle what a true brother will do for his fellow brother, and what I see now in this profession makes me too want to barf. It is bad enough that the lowlife people we deal with in society every day hate us and would kill a Leo at the drop of a hat rather than go to jail. Nowadays we have to also deal with all the activist groups, politicians, whacko parents and their kids and everybody looking to sue you for something. We should not have to also deal with head hunting leaders who would throw you to he wolves if it makes them look good and fellow cops that stab you in the back just to get ahead. In the old days these idiots would get a nice blanket party to explain things to them.AND REMEMBER OFFICER GUEST, DO NOTHING, THEY ONLY REJOICE IN OUR SUFFERING!!!! NO CAR STOPS, NO ARREST, NO STOP AND INTERVIEWS, JUST COLLECT THAT PAYCHECK!!! DON'T FORGET TO DO SOME OVERTIME!!!

09-16-2007, 08:22 AM
In The Big Scheme of things your only connections are usually within the borders of your own jurisdiction. The best thing is to Police Each Other Up when partying with friends and don't put yourself in comprising situations where you are are the one that the Duty Cop is 1012 with, and he is in a very uncomfortable situation ALONG with you ...while ...the cameras of the passerbys....are just rolling along.........

CPD

10-20-2007, 04:24 AM
Yeah, there is hardly NO professional courtesy anymore. And I say "hardly" because I know there are still some cops that would do anything to help out there brother. It just puts a bad taste in my mouth. I would never arrest anoher fellow officer, unless I had to. Or if they had an attitude towards you, then you have do what you gotta do. But, I read a few months ago a TPD officer arrested another officer for DUI, and it makes me shake my head!

10-22-2007, 05:57 PM
Yeah, there is hardly NO professional courtesy anymore. And I say "hardly" because I know there are still some cops that would do anything to help out there brother. It just puts a bad taste in my mouth. I would never arrest anoher fellow officer, unless I had to. Or if they had an attitude towards you, then you have do what you gotta do. But, I read a few months ago a TPD officer arrested another officer for DUI, and it makes me shake my head! I agree with your compassion toward your fellow officers. If an officer is totally drunk gets behind the wheel of his car and gives the officer a hard time he needs to take the trip to jail, However, if the officer is driving OK, but has had a few too many and does not give the officer a hard time then the officer needs to call his department or a fellow officer to pick him up, no big deal. This is how we have always done it. Then there are one or two officers that will put a brother officer in jail and lie about why they did it to justify their means. We know who they are and it's sad. Anyway, most of us have compassion.

10-26-2007, 06:59 PM
I'm going to lose my job and future because some moron can't get a designated driver, think again. if it's close and he's a cop ok, firemen hell no 10-15 screw them they are not one of "us" so quit thinking they are.

I'll lose a profession and any decent future because you cannot know better than to drink and drive? you're in the profession!!! do it and take your chances. If you get caught you should have never been one anyway.

To actually think you stupidasses would risk the future of your children because someone else breaks the law is betond all logical thinking.

Speeding, go on your way
DUI you're taking the trip.

10-26-2007, 08:15 PM
ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME, Thats all that people care about these days. I have news for everyone, it's not just young officers. I know most of the people posting on here saying they won't take care of their brothers are veteran officers. Remeber, unless someone gets hurt or there is damage to someone elses property, NOBODY HAS TO KNOW. That means keep your mouth shut, keep any witnesses away, and get the fellow officer/brother a ride. If we can't take care of each other, who will?

10-27-2007, 02:20 AM
Yeah the people "cops" on here that the would arrest there Brother or Sister for some misdemeanor that could possibly ruin their career, is shallow! YES, that office made the decision to get behind the wheel, and YES he should know better. But, no one on here is perfect and we all make mistakes. What is so bad about helping a fellow officer out, or maybe taking the time to talk to that individual and remind him/her of what could happen! And there might be a very few Saints on here that don't have a DROP of alcohol and drive, but I bet that they know someone in there close circle that does, so don't throw stones!

And another thing, let one of these ball busters on here make a mistake or there wife, there children, or one of there parents and I bet they would want that officer to cut them a BREAK!!!!

11-08-2007, 05:17 PM
I'm going to lose my job and future because some moron can't get a designated driver, think again. if it's close and he's a cop ok, firemen hell no 10-15 screw them they are not one of "us" so quit thinking they are.

I'll lose a profession and any decent future because you cannot know better than to drink and drive? you're in the profession!!! do it and take your chances. If you get caught you should have never been one anyway.

To actually think you stupidasses would risk the future of your children because someone else breaks the law is betond all logical thinking.

Speeding, go on your way
DUI you're taking the trip. YOU HAVE DISCRETION. IT'S YOUR CALL DON'T HIDE BEHIND THE FACT THAT YOU WILL LOSE YOUR JOB IF YOU GIVE YOUR FELLOW OFFICER A BREAK. YOU HAVE THE AUTHORITY TO DECIDE, BUT MAYBE YOU CAN'T MAKE A MORAL DECISION. POLICE ARE GRANTED DISCRETION BECAUSE NO SET OF LAWS AND REGULATIONS CAN PRESCRIBE WHAT TO DO IN EVERY SITUATION. THE POSSIBILITIESARE TO NUMEROUS FOR US TO HAVE RULES FOR EVERTHING THAT HAPPENS. OK, now I'm calmed down. I can tell by your post that you are a little up set, but we are dealing with peoples lives and careers. There are guidelines for discretion set in some circumstances, but very few. If we see a fellow officer abuse his authority, like push someone or say a racial slur or use profanity and make threats to someone , do we use discretion? Some of officers that abuse their authority just to make an arrest and lie to justify their means do we use discretion and turn them in? Don't tell me you haven't seen this, if you've been a cop long enough you see this, fact. Anyway, we should use discretion to help when we can. When I see a post that an officer doesn't care about a fellow officer or fireman or citizen it upsets me and many others. Like I said in my last post, we have a very few that would put their own mother in jail, it makes me wonder what kind of life they had growing up. It's a shame they get hired, but a few get through the cracks. It all catches up with them if enough people complain maybe they will loose their job. Some have a long internal affairs record already,but they are still here, wonder, why.

11-09-2007, 01:31 PM
If you take an oath stating that you will up hold the laws of a country, state, county or city and you do not do it when the time come, no matter who the subject is, then you have no integrity and a Police officer who will lie or look away when a law is being broken is like tits on a boar hog, useless. As a police officer you are to set the example for the citizen to follow, your badge does not give you any special authority to violate the law. Your duty is to arrest law breaker and let the courts decide what will happen to the law breaker.

11-10-2007, 03:17 AM
and LOWLIFE fire punks are not "one of us" they deserve nothing and wil get nothing if it's me.. officers? different story

11-10-2007, 11:46 AM
Hey Mr. Fire Plug,

Take it easy my friend. What ever happened between you and the Fire Department needs to stay between you guys.

Remember what they do, they save lives for a living. I have been a cop for 15 years and have been run over by a drunk, hurt real bad on a traffic stop. Those guys cut me out and saved my life. I have been shot at and have had partners that were shot. I am not the only police officer that Fire has saved.

If it weren't for the fast actions of an EMT and Fire both Kevin Howell and Mike Vigil would have died in 1995.

I know LEO Affairs is a place to ***** but I think you need to rethink your position. Some of us need those guys even if you don't.

To any fire fighters who may read these threads, thank you for saving my life. I will always remember 9-11 and all of those who died at the World Trade Center. You will get a have a nice day from me.

11-10-2007, 03:50 PM
If you take an oath stating that you will up hold the laws of a country, state, county or city and you do not do it when the time come, no matter who the subject is, then you have no integrity and a Police officer who will lie or look away when a law is being broken is like tits on a boar hog, useless. As a police officer you are to set the example for the citizen to follow, your badge does not give you any special authority to violate the law. Your duty is to arrest law breaker and let the courts decide what will happen to the law breaker.

I respect your point of view, but The Code of Ethics (oath) specifies a perfect behavior which is irrelevant to the realities of a police officer. There's a big difference between the code and actual behavior. Those who can be trusted to excerise discretion are of compassion and integrity and are intellgent about human nature. Common sense and decency need to be learned. The challenge of discretion is to achieve respect. Most departments have policies of descrition and ethical decisions. We must keep in mind, what alternative is best for the circumstance. I post this based on my experience. Every day we make decisions and use discretion, it is a necessary element in law enforcement. Like I said i respect your post, this is mine. Enjoy your retirement.

11-11-2007, 03:37 AM
hey fire plug / i hope im the one called when you get shot /

11-11-2007, 12:07 PM
I'd hate to be the guy who cites or arrests a fireman. Especially when you've been shot or hurt in a crash and he's the guy who responds. Don't you think he's gonna remeber who you are? I'd hate to think of what he may or may not do for you. As far as I'm concerned they are part of our brotherhood, and are afforded the same discretion in enforcement as police officers. :wink:

11-11-2007, 02:20 PM
Fire dude,

Thanks for your service. Please don't let this guy lead you to believe we are all that way. We work together no matter what happens.

You will always get "Have a nice day from me".

Stay safe Fire guys

TO THE POSTER WHO IS SLAMMING FIRE: You are an A.S.S. nice going! What we DON'T NEED is a tift with TFD. Lets remember who brings us to the HOSPITAL. I am so disgusted I could spit.

11-11-2007, 07:26 PM
i hope you get shot and i don't get called :) :)

11-11-2007, 08:38 PM
This childish behavior on this thread needs to stop. Here's a guy who may be a police officer (?) wishes a fire fighter gets shot!

What has this world come too when people who hold an oath wish harm on someone.

Sad!

11-11-2007, 10:25 PM
the fireman is saying he hopes he is called when a officer gets shot intimating he won't do a lot to help. If you look I see smiley faces at the end of the sentence, I take that to mean sarcasm or a joke. Sometimes you may take things a bit seriously.

P.S. i am not fond of firemen either. They're always looking for a handout.

11-12-2007, 12:23 AM
This childish behavior on this thread needs to stop. Here's a guy who may be a police officer (?) wishes a fire fighter gets shot!

What has this world come too when people who hold an oath wish harm on someone.

Sad!

Quoting Fire dude" hey fire plug / i hope im the one called when you get shot /"

So since you didnt mention it this is ok with you? he won't help a shot officer because you gave him a ticket?

I believe you are the sad one

11-12-2007, 02:24 AM
Whatever man, this is just too stupid to entertain anymore.

11-13-2007, 03:08 AM
I read an article in the paper today that we arrested a Polk County firefighter for DUI. What ever happened to the days where we parked the car and called the wife to drive him home. Instead we arrest and ruin a guys career for a mistake.

Regardless of it being a firefighter or a LEO, we need to go back to our roots and take care of each other. People make mistakes, we have discretion!

http://www.abcactionnews.com/news/local ... b430391f95 (http://www.abcactionnews.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=4beff10c-6de9-4dfd-b2f0-4cb430391f95)

Why not, he did wrong just like any other CITIZEN! You don't mind ruining anyone elses lives or careers unless they have a badge to hide behind?

11-13-2007, 03:50 AM
[quote="Old School !":2ij1q6am]I read an article in the paper today that we arrested a Polk County firefighter for DUI. What ever happened to the days where we parked the car and called the wife to drive him home. Instead we arrest and ruin a guys career for a mistake.

http://www.abcactionnews.com/news/local ... b430391f95 (http://www.abcactionnews.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=4beff10c-6de9-4dfd-b2f0-4cb430391f95)[/quote:2ij1q6am]

Why not, he did wrong just like any other CITIZEN! You don't mind ruining anyone elses lives or careers unless they have a badge to hide behind?[/ Are you trying to justify what you did. Next time use some discretion. If you did what we think you did that was wrong.........

11-13-2007, 06:36 PM
Hey dudes,

Chill out, cant you tell by the way these posters, write that they can not be real COPS or Real FIREFIGHTERS.

Real firefighters put water on a fire, not add fuel to the fire, so these guys are im-posters.

Also Real Cops have brains, and would not be pulled down into a childish game of i wont be there for you if you get hurt, no b---s, no badge.

So these are no-bodies, causing trouble between two fine agencies.!!!

11-17-2007, 08:18 PM
Oh we are real cops, thats how we know the dipsticks that are firemen.

I cannot stand most of them little arrogant p*icks.

I wouldn't help them one bit they are not in the same class os Leo's

11-18-2007, 06:40 PM
I'd hate to be the guy who cites or arrests a fireman. Especially when you've been shot or hurt in a crash and he's the guy who responds. Don't you think he's gonna remeber who you are? I'd hate to think of what he may or may not do for you. As far as I'm concerned they are part of our brotherhood, and are afforded the same discretion in enforcement as police officers. :wink:

I have stopped a few firemen over the years and normally they are pleasant to deal with and I send them on their way. Then the ones who shove that ID in your face get a little timeout while I run them in my car. Let them sweat a little before they see I dont have a ticket book in my hand when I return, then they can brag to their date about the power they possess.

If a fireman got a ticket from a cop I would find it hard to belive that he would think about that in a life and death situation. A ticket is hardly enough to let someone die over. And besides, we dont find anyone guilty of ANYTHING, thats the judges part in all of this.

Would I write one?? Not sure...I don't retire for sometime yet....

11-18-2007, 11:31 PM
Having had a better relationship with the firefighters in my zone, then many of the peckerheads I worked with on the street, I would say that the FF would not do something stupid should he come upon the cop, that needed his help, who gave him a ticket.
The FF'ers are a much more closer bunch of guys and gals then any squad of TPD officers. They work closer together and rely on each other more then cops who try to get out of calls and slough them off on other cops. It's pretty hard to milk a call when you're a FF. You're always there, all together, helping each other in everything you do. You don't find any 'Give me the S54' or put me 'T6 on a S14' or staying out S70 forever guys in a fire station.
Treat them right. Like it or not, they are part of the US in the "us against them". They deserve whatever courtesy you can extend them.

11-19-2007, 01:11 AM
NO they do not, they deserve every courtesy THEY EARN. that im a firefighter crap when you stop them irks me and gets the lecture also and they get embarassed in front of whomever they were trying to impress.

I don't give the citations 99% of the time but they have a sense of entitlement I do not like at all. push a little and you get the citation.

11-19-2007, 01:43 AM
NO they do not, they deserve every courtesy THEY EARN. that im a firefighter crap when you stop them irks me and gets the lecture also and they get embarassed in front of whomever they were trying to impress.

I don't give the citations 99% of the time but they have a sense of entitlement I do not like at all. push a little and you get the citation.

That's no worse then the 'hey, I'm a cop crap'.

11-19-2007, 03:35 AM
I have been reading this string off and on for sometime now. I think there are differences in our jobs.

1- (PD) When does a fireman make have to do something that might tear a family apart if not handled properly? IE; we MUST contact DCF of a domestic if a child is present.
(FD) They have to decide whether or not to put that last 1,000 gallons of water into little Johney's room and destory his toys.

2- (PD) We are constanly in the positon of acusing people of commiting crimes and do our best to build a case against them.
(FD) Only in arson cases, and those guys are LEO'S

Yea they do ride the truck together and they cook for eachother at the station. The jobs are different but a mutual employer, the citzen's of Tampa. I guess the bottom line is, dont put the police in a position that we have to do what we have to do. There are cases that POLICE OFFICERS get arrested by POLICE OFFICERS

11-19-2007, 11:37 AM
I have been reading this string off and on for sometime now. I think there are differences in our jobs.

1- (PD) When does a fireman make have to do something that might tear a family apart if not handled properly? IE; we MUST contact DCF of a domestic if a child is present.
(FD) They have to decide whether or not to put that last 1,000 gallons of water into little Johney's room and destory his toys.

2- (PD) We are constanly in the positon of acusing people of commiting crimes and do our best to build a case against them.
(FD) Only in arson cases, and those guys are LEO'S

Yea they do ride the truck together and they cook for eachother at the station. The jobs are different but a mutual employer, the citzen's of Tampa. I guess the bottom line is, dont put the police in a position that we have to do what we have to do. There are cases that POLICE OFFICERS get arrested by POLICE OFFICERS

And the point of all this jibberish is what?

11-19-2007, 02:53 PM
Jesus, this thread saddens me. You guys are a disgrace to our profession. I hope I'm the one that pulls over the hypothetical firefighter so he gets the break he deserves.
SAD

11-19-2007, 04:47 PM
Yes it's sad, bottom line there is discretion, ANYONE that that would arrest or cited a fellow officer or firefighter for a misd. violation that he could have used discretion is not one of the 99%. There is one or two, these guys are the worst officers with garbage in their closet. One day they won't be here. I hate to see a post like this get started because it makes me sick to think there are officers who can't make a moral decesion to help people.

11-19-2007, 06:36 PM
I think it's just the 'new' breed of cop. It goes along with their ME,ME,ME attitude. And they're very SAD.

11-19-2007, 08:19 PM
I think it's just the 'new' breed of cop. It goes along with their ME,ME,ME attitude. And they're very SAD.

Did it ever occur to you that anyone in the entire world can come on this site and make a post?? So your so called new breed of cop porbably isn't a cop at all. moron!

11-19-2007, 08:52 PM
You're porbably right.

11-20-2007, 02:50 AM
firemen deserve NOTHING thats the end result

12-01-2007, 02:10 AM
This was from another forum but I thought you may like it
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

During the course of our lives, each and every one of us will eventually get pulled over for doing something stupid. Not paying attention, speeding, rolling stops....... we are all guilty from time to time. We are not perfect and do not claim to be. Even cops, troopers, deputies can have bad days, domestic arguments, job stress..... just like the average joe blow we pull over. Joe Blow gets pulled over and depending on his attitude or excuse you can cut him a break if you want to, it's your choice.

So why should you not write another cop if we are no better than the Joe Blow you just wrote ? Here is how I like to look at it. I may never have met you before, don't know your personality, don't know how your co-workers feel about you, your ethics..... But I do know you are a fellow cop. I know that no matter what, when you are screaming for help, I am balls to the wall to help you. When you are getting shot at, I am the first to come running to your aid and take the risk of losing my life to help save yours. I know when I see you getting your ass kicked on the side of the road, I am the one who will skid to a stop and help you not mater what. I know when you run into a burning building (when rescue is staging) I will go in with you because I will not leave you alone. I know when everyone else is running away from danger leaving you alone, I will run to you and stand with you till the end.

We do the things that others are scared to do. We are the only profession where just simply doing your job will cost you your life. We are the only profession that asks us to put our lives on the line every day for people we don't even know. So I ask you this. If you can give a complete stranger a break from time to time, don't you think always giving a break to someone who is willing to risk his life to save yours a small favor to give ? I can not imagine the look on my face one day if I were getting my butt kicked and the person who just saved my life was the same guy I thought deserved a ticket so much just a short time ago. A moving/non moving citation is discretionary

12-02-2007, 12:15 AM
That my friends is the true meaning of Professional Courtesy! Well done.

12-03-2007, 03:07 PM
wow....that post was a mouth shutter... no more should be said...

12-24-2007, 07:10 AM
So it is okay to break the law as long as you are a cop? You guys are stuck on yourselves.
you have no idea what this job is like

12-24-2007, 07:28 AM
I do. It sucks and wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. It eats you alive slooooooooowly.........

12-24-2007, 12:03 PM
I do. It sucks and wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. It eats you alive slooooooooowly.........

Then quit, and that's assuming you are actually on the job.