PDA

View Full Version : LOOKING FOR INFO?

08-05-2007, 05:53 PM
Whats the rumor regarding uniforms and marked vehicles, Im retiring soon and looking around for a second career. Thanks in advance.

08-05-2007, 08:58 PM
That's a tough one. I don't know if you can get a good answer. I would say the expense alone will put an end to both the marked cars and the uniform.
Let's add up the extra $$$$ spent on the cars -
cage - 300
state of the art blue/red led lights/side lights/smart siren and amber arrow stick - 2,000+
fancy 3M striping and logo - 500
you are looking at 2,800 more spent on the car alone.
Now add the cost of the police undercover package and you have a huge waste of money.

Now lets talk about the uniform - I don't know of anyone outside of Tallahassee that has even worn it -
5.11 long sleeve - 50
5.11 short sleeve - 50
5.11 pants - 50
tie - 10
fancy fhp style shiny shoes - 50
fancy fhp style gun belt set - 200
fancy fhp style hat - 50
fancy hat box to protect the fancy hat - 50
new badge, hat badge, collar brass, name plate, etc - 125

Of course all costs are only estimates but you are looking at alot of money for something that is unecessary. Everyone has a budget issue now, and I don't know how the agency could justify the costs, but who knows?

When I came on we had a department head that wanted to save money so we were driving Pintos and Chevettes. There is nothing that can match the look on a perps face when you pull up in a Pinto with a bubble gum light stuck to the top. So I guess things are not that bad. The new police package Impala does have a dynomite CD system, but the cage does interfere with the bass from the rear speakers. I ain't complainin!!!!!

08-08-2007, 10:55 PM
I think every administration has had to deal with the aftermath of decisions made by others. Police package cars are relatively new to ABT. I think the "central office" has gone out of their way to keep us in police type vehicles, when it would be very easy to say we don't need "police cars." I have worn my "fancy go to meetin'" uniform and I must admit I looked good. I posed for many pictures and may even use one for my Christmas card this year. I see some advantages to the uniform.
I can recall many folks in this agency saying they wanted a special use uniform, and now we have one. The cars have their purpose too, but I agree it may be more and more difficult to do because of the money crunch. I would not be sad if we had to give up the cars and or the uniforms, but it would be sad to loose people, and I think that could always happen. The cars have opened the door for some off duty work we would not have normally had. The fact that we even have take home cars still amazes me, and I certainly appreciate it. There is a whole generation of agents that never experienced the embarassment of driving a Pinto, Fairmont, Citation, Chevette or K car, but they certainly complained about their police package Impala not having carpet. There were times when we shared cars. I remember borrowing a clunker u/c car from a S.O. Yea I know Uncle Buck is living in the past, but sometimes I think we don't really appreciate the benefit of looking back. I for one don't want to go there again.

08-12-2007, 05:11 PM
Does it seem as though we are getting a new administration yet again? I hear someone high up is leaving - any truth to the rumor the Director is going soon?

08-12-2007, 05:42 PM
No need to panic. The helm will be passed to a new crew on or about October 1.

08-12-2007, 10:43 PM
WOW - they lasted less than 2 years - wonder who is next...maybe some much needed change is upon us - all we can do is hope!

08-12-2007, 11:37 PM
Yep, less then 2 years they last. Tally staff was suppose to have been notified last friday that the director and chief will be leaving October 1, 2007. Maybe this new team will come in and move the agency forward, the way it should be. All other supervisors seem to move along with what the director and chief wants, I guess they must since they would be gone if they did not. Can we say: Castro gone for not following orders, Garzon gone for not following directions and the director and chief wanted someone from Orange county to get the position, Lanza and Sauls gone becasue the director and chief didnt like them, Cave moved because he pissed off the director and chief, Herrera pushed out, Myers gone because the director wanted someone else. Need I go on with the names of casulties????? Yea, only two years, but so much damage. How long will it take us to recover form the mismanagement from the Hougland/Beckley run?????

guestabt
08-13-2007, 08:09 PM
Let's hope that things change for the better. This mass exit of good people is getting silly. Except for the ones that need to go, for them it isn't soon enough.

08-29-2007, 10:13 PM
Let's hope that things change for the better. This mass exit of good people is getting silly. Except for the ones that need to go, for them it isn't soon enough.

Are you referring to our lazy agents?

08-30-2007, 01:07 AM
I applied with your agency several years ago, I took a test and was interviewed in Margate and was printed in the Miami office. My background check was completed I believe. I never heard anything else. Could someone please direct me on how to find out what happened. Never got a call or letter , my background in clean and I have 26 yrs of L/E experience and currently is working. Thanks in advance.

08-30-2007, 01:56 AM
I am not the administration of ABT, nor do I represent any administrative authority within ABT - However -
If you applied several years ago and did not hear anything, there really isn't any way to go back and check the status now - you will have to start over. We have never had a entry test that I am aware of. Applicants are given a psych test in Tampa once a conditional offer is made. If you are interested in any state law enforcement employment, you need to start with www.myflorida.com (http://www.myflorida.com). There is a section on the home page to direct your application process. Look for open positions and apply online.
Good Luck.

09-05-2007, 04:26 AM

Are you referring to our lazy agents?

My understanding is there have been around 42 agents come and go in a one year period. What the hell? That says a lot when individuals come from good agencies and beg to go back, get here and just quit all together or as soon as they get here start applying elsewhere. It seems we have a lot more chiefs these days and too few Indians. You have to go through three bosses just to go to the head. We are so top heavy we are teetering on falling over. It is time for some reorg. I have seen more misappropriated funds and mismanagement then I can stand. Don't forget, you may be an employee but you are also a tax payer. All I wanted was a raise and instead I get a hefty bag uniform, over lit marked cars and a taxable bonus. This is sick!

09-09-2007, 11:59 PM
I think we can thank Charlie and the PBA!!
What a marriage!!!

09-14-2007, 11:08 PM
What a marriage!!!

The PBA did everything they could from what I understand. Only 2 ABT agents atteded the session, others did volunteer, did you? Of course not, it's so easy to place blame. The govennor, Rubio, and Pruitt are the names you need to place in your blame game. Did you write these three gentlemen and express your anger for not getting a raise? I didn't think so!

09-15-2007, 04:28 PM
I retired 6 months ago and I am looking for a sworn position in Florida. Being retired and returning to the work force is a difficult because I do enjoy the freedom of retired life. I do not like being told what to do, how to do it or when to do it. I do not like being told when to come to work or what days to work. I do not like working after 2:00 pm or before 11:30 am and I do not like working weekend days, Mondays, Tuesdays or Wednesdays. After talking to various sources I was referred to your agency. It is my understnading that you are allowed to work when you chose and most of you work partime 5 to 12 hours per week, usually on Thursdays. This is the type of position that interest me and would like to know if you have any openings near Ocala?

09-15-2007, 04:36 PM
What a marriage!!!

The PBA did everything they could from what I understand. Only 2 ABT agents atteded the session, others did volunteer, did you? Of course not, it's so easy to place blame. The govennor, Rubio, and Pruitt are the names you need to place in your blame game. Did you write these three gentlemen and express your anger for not getting a raise? I didn't think so!

Call who? Why? That is why we pay PBA our "bargaining unit" to bargain for us.

Unregistered
01-09-2019, 03:32 AM
I think every administration has had to deal with the aftermath of decisions made by others. Police package cars are relatively new to ABT. I think the "central office" has gone out of their way to keep us in police type vehicles, when it would be very easy to say we don't need "police cars." I have worn my "fancy go to meetin'" uniform and I must admit I looked good. I posed for many pictures and may even use one for my Christmas card this year. I see some advantages to the uniform.
I can recall many folks in this agency saying they wanted a special use uniform, and now we have one. The cars have their purpose too, but I agree it may be more and more difficult to do because of the money crunch. I would not be sad if we had to give up the cars and or the uniforms, but it would be sad to loose people, and I think that could always happen. The cars have opened the door for some off duty work we would not have normally had. The fact that we even have take home cars still amazes me, and I certainly appreciate it. There is a whole generation of agents that never experienced the embarassment of driving a Pinto, Fairmont, Citation, Chevette or K car, but they certainly complained about their police package Impala not having carpet. There were times when we shared cars. I remember borrowing a clunker u/c car from a S.O. Yea I know Uncle Buck is living in the past, but sometimes I think we don't really appreciate the benefit of looking back. I for one don't want to go there again.

This was one of the first posts. A good refresher.

Unregistered
01-11-2019, 02:19 PM
My understanding is there have been around 42 agents come and go in a one year period. What the hell? That says a lot when individuals come from good agencies and beg to go back, get here and just quit all together or as soon as they get here start applying elsewhere. It seems we have a lot more chiefs these days and too few Indians. You have to go through three bosses just to go to the head. We are so top heavy we are teetering on falling over. It is time for some reorg. I have seen more misappropriated funds and mismanagement then I can stand. This is sick!

this is interesting

Unregistered
04-15-2019, 05:59 PM
Question?

Just curious, do you guys work rotating weekends? or is it like every other state agency. M-F Holidays/weekends off?

Thank you, and I will try to ignore all the very, very, smart veterans who will surely have something smart to say...

Unregistered
04-15-2019, 07:20 PM
Question?

Just curious, do you guys work rotating weekends? or is it like every other state agency. M-F Holidays/weekends off?

Thank you, and I will try to ignore all the very, very, smart veterans who will surely have something smart to say...

There is no set hours. You work based on type of case you have. Off most holidays.

Unregistered
04-15-2019, 09:00 PM
Off the major holidays. Work the cheesy ones like cinco de mayo and st Patrick’s day but you’ll be working an op of some sort targeting events that day so it may not even be the whole day.

Other than the schedule is 160 hours every /8 days. If you get a case that requires you to work late work late. But most cases can be handled during a typical 9-5. When you hit 160 hours your off until the new pay period kicks in

Unregistered
04-16-2019, 10:33 AM
Thanks guys... Kinda what I figured...

Unregistered
04-18-2019, 12:02 AM
160 hours in 8 days? How are you working 20 hours a day?

Unregistered
04-18-2019, 12:25 AM
160 hours in 8 days? How are you working 20 hours a day?

No one is working 20 hours a day. The "2" on the laptop is 1007 because of the wing bone fragment wedged in the keyboard.

Unregistered
04-18-2019, 09:30 PM
Can anyone tell me what raises are like? Do they even exist or are they few and far in between?

Unregistered
04-18-2019, 10:11 PM
Can anyone tell me what raises are like? Do they even exist or are they few and far in between?

Raises are infrequent and at the whim of the legislature. Cost of living raises don't exist and merit raises are nothing but a dream. Don't work in state government with the expectation that you are appreciated to the point that raises are part of your future. There has been one really nice raise (10%) in the last decade.

Unregistered
04-19-2019, 06:38 PM
Issued equipment? Firearms, badges, phones, handcuffs, vehicles, 5.11s anything at all? Any perks to working with AB&T only making $39,400?

Unregistered
04-19-2019, 09:23 PM
Our cars are pretty awesome and you can’t beat the schedule.

Unregistered
04-19-2019, 11:32 PM
We have been referred to as "Law Enforcement Lite" and "The Best Kept Secret In Law Enforcement". If you can deal with the fact we aren't "real cops" then it's easier to enjoy. It's the "Tackleberry" types with egos that have problems working here.

I love working here. If I wanted to still run with 75+ open cases I would do that. So I deal with the backstabbing, unloyal coworkers (all of them!), crap supervision, and pi$$ poor senior leadership. I make this place work for me!

Unregistered
04-19-2019, 11:55 PM
Issued equipment? Firearms, badges, phones, handcuffs, vehicles, 5.11s anything at all? Any perks to working with AB&T only making $39,400?

I don't know if your questions are real or nothing more than internet trolling. You get everything you need to do this job issued to you. You don't have to supply a single thing. For most agents that 39K salary works out to be 35.00 an hour. The best part time job in the state. I don't punch a clock, I don't wait for the next shift, I don't work midnights, weekends or holidays. I don't answer radio calls, work traffic or domestics. I don't get hassled by my LT to write two tickets an hour and I can go a month without ever sitting foot in the office. LE lite? You bet. I won't have it any other way.

Unregistered
04-20-2019, 04:07 PM
Legitimate questions I assure you. Just trying to rationalize a huge, life changing decision for such little pay.

Unregistered
04-20-2019, 06:05 PM
Legitimate questions I assure you. Just trying to rationalize a huge, life changing decision for such little pay.

The only way to get meaningful raises is to promote every chance you get. Agent to LT in less than Two years. LT to captain in a couple more. 65K in less than four is a realistic possibility. But you have to be really sharp, a political player and willing to move around the state. At least five senior supervisors will be leaving this year alone. If you are after the money, state LE is not a good gamble.

Unregistered
04-21-2019, 02:04 AM
Who in their right mind would promote to captain?? They can dismiss you with no reason

Unregistered
04-21-2019, 02:18 AM
Who in their right mind would promote to captain?? They can dismiss you with no reason

They have had that ability for two years and no summary dismissal yet. Look at the sad bunch with captains bars now. If they can keep their jobs I bet you could too.