PDA

View Full Version : cages

07-22-2007, 02:53 PM
Is it true that the new vehicles hitting the field will not have cages in them?
Whose brilliant idea is that?

Did'nt we just have an incident with a police vehicle that had a cage in it?

How do they expect these officers to transport people to jail without a cages?

How are their rifles and shotguns going to be safe from the people they are transporting?

So much for officer safety.

07-23-2007, 10:03 AM
We were told thatthe new Dodge Durangos that are being issued have side curtain air bags. This in turn will not allow the installation of cages or shotgun racks.

I think if we tried hard enough, Chrysler would allow us to disconnect the side curtain airbags for installation. But that would make sense and make it better for all involved.

07-23-2007, 11:49 PM
What are all of the other agencies doing that have cages in their SUV's ? Those have side curtain airbags as well.

It sounds like this reasoning is an "airbag" issue in its self.

It also sounds like a liability suit waiting to happen.

If I were getting one of these vehicles, I would already be on the phone with PBA.

07-25-2007, 03:57 PM
The guys that are in my area transport some definite dirtbags to jail.

Do they expect you to transport without a cage?

The last time I back one of you guys up he was out in BFE at the edge of the county and it took a little bit to get to him. HOw are you going to secure these people while you wait for backup or have to search?

No disrespect intended, I think ya'll are good police officers, but it sounds like your agency brass, or whoever made the final decision, doesn't think alot of you.

That is a pretty dangerous situation for them to put you in.

I know for a fact that cages can be put in SUV's with side curtain airbags.

07-26-2007, 03:27 AM
Well, I can say that I was up at GHQ the week the new director took over, and there was several of these vehicles there, already being outfitted, so it's safe to say that these vehicles were purchased by the previous administration. Based on the budget shortfall, the new administration will probably have quite some time before they can buy new cars, and hopefully they will put more research into the cars to find out what would be the best for us. Keep your fingers crossed. For the meantime, if you get one of the vehicles without a cage, be careful.

07-27-2007, 02:41 PM
That sounds about right..

Sorry we did not do any research and think about the fact that ya'll are police officers and these are police vehicles . Guess you will just have to do your job and try not to get killed. We will go to your funeral and tell your wives and children that this is the year 2007 and there is not enough technology available to solve the problem. Tell them that you were a good officer and that we did the best we could.

I find it hard to believe that there is nothing that can be done.

Nobody exists that knows how to do this ?

More like, there is nothing that WILL be done.

So you guys have to be unsafe and they point fingers at the old administration and say that their sorry and there is nothing they can do.