PDA

View Full Version : Officer's Bill of Rights (Garrity & Others)

07-20-2007, 10:04 PM
What I write I am writing because we in HPD have too many new Officers that do not fully understand their rights as Police Officers. Yes, this is a subject most cops never think about and this is very natural. After all most law abiding citizens never think about their Miranda rights and other constitutional rights that are afforded to them. That is why most average citizens after being involved in a crime are so easily interrogated by the police. If most citizens knew that all they have to say is that “I want a lawyer” and the interrogation would stop at that time, most citizens would. Yes they are read Miranda, but one thing is being read Miranda and another is being represented by counsel! And for all you cynics yes I know in many places the interrogation would not stop anyway, but even a good system can be derailed by evil men.

Here then leis the problem. Most officers are good men and women that would never see themselves on the wrong side of the law. However, many good officers have thought the same thing and ended up on the wrong side, even with just public perception which these days will convict you before you get into a courtroom. Unlike Miranda most of the rights afforded to officers, the officer Must Invoke! Yes if the officer does not invoke the right it does not apply. This leads up to Garrity.

Garrity came about because we all, including police officers, have the Fifth Amendment right not to self incriminate ourselves. Cases in the past put officers, who had committed a possible criminal act, in a hard position. The officers had to choose whether to tell what occurred and face possible criminal prosecution or refuse to make any statement and face termination for insubordination. Well the US (Not the Hialeah City Council) Supreme Court stated in Garrity that an officer’s compelled statement could not be used against them for criminal purposes because it would violate their Fifth Amendment right. Sounds simple enough, but here is the catch the statement must be compelled! If there is any doubt the statement was not compelled, the statement has a chance of being used against the officer in proceeding criminal charges. Yes our Use of Force policy states that every member of the department must complete such after being involved in a “Use of Force” or they will be discipline up to termination. Sounds great, it sounds like a compelled statement to me. However, the State Attorney would disagree.

Just ask Ex-Officer G. Castillo. In his case the State tried, unsuccessfully, to bring in the Use of Force statements. The State said the written statements were not compelled because the officer could have asked to consult with an attorney. For example in shootings even without any injuries the Subject officer was not compelled to write a subject statement. Our Use of Force policy does not address why in a shooting even a non-contact shooting the subject officer does not have to fill out a Use of Force Statement. The State said that if the supervisor on the scene would have given Officer Castillo a direct order then Garrity would have attached. Then there was a dispute of whether the supervisor on the scene had actually told Officer Castillo to write the statement or if Officer Castillo had written the statement on his own will following departmental policy.

Moral of the story is that even though the statements were not used criminally our policies left the door open for the State to try and trample on a fundamental right of being a Police Officer. This door can easily be shut by the individual officer writing Garrity or the supervisor writing on his or her statement that he or she issued a direct order for the officer to write the subject statement. This way there are no unanswered questions. Remember that when these issues come up, just like a law abiding citizen, something questionable has happened and the last thing on your mind should be whether your compelled statements will be used criminally against you. As of right now, HPD officers have been ordered not to write Garrity and supervisors not to write that they gave the officer a direct order to write such a statement. Therefore it is up to the Individual officer to ask his supervisor if he or she must write a Use of Force and then have the supervisor give them a direct order to write such. The Officer will then document that they were given such an order and if not ask for Legal Counsel. Once you are denied legal counsel then it is automatically a compelled statement. However, these rights must be exercised by individuals and can not be exercised as a group. If you are not willing to stand up for your rights then you do not deserve them. Remember that men and women have bleed so we could all have these rights. Do not allow people who have political thoughts from other Countries with totalitarian types of political systems water down your rights. We have come from many different places, but are united in being Americans. Other than on a much smaller scale, this is no different than what Washington, Lincoln, or Martin Luther King, JR fought for. Justice for all!!!!

Why the department would fight us on this I do not know. How this can this hurt the City I do not know! I have spoken to the PBA representatives, who in my opinion are not doing enough to stand up for us, but then again neither are we. I had never thought of running for PBA rep before, but the things I have seen in the last few months have made me sick.

07-21-2007, 12:38 AM
http://www.njlawman.com/Garrity.htm

http://www.flsenate.gov/Statutes/index. ... TM&Title=- (http://www.flsenate.gov/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=Ch0112/SEC532.HTM&Title=-)>2006->Ch0112->Section%20532#0112.532

Know Your Rights!

07-22-2007, 02:03 PM
Here is the actual facts behind Garrity. As you can see there is some grayness. However, the one thing that is clear is that the officer MUST INVOKE Garrity in order for it to apply. Just doing paperwork that is required is not compelled. Remember the officer can always ask if he or she does not have to do it. A question has never gotten someone terminated (Well Hialeah does not count!).

"By invoking the Garrity rule, the officer is invoking his or her right against self incrimination. Any statements made after invoking Garrity, may only be used for department investigation purposes and not for criminal prosecution purposes. The Garrity Rule stems from the court case Garrity v. New Jersey, 385 U.S. 493 (1967), which was decided in 1966 by the United States Supreme Court. It was a traffic ticket fixing case of all things.

Officers were advised that they had to answer questions subjecting them to criminal prosecution or lose their jobs. The Court held that this was Unconstitutional.

Technically, there are two prongs under the Garrity rights. First, if an officer is compelled to answer questions as a condition of employment, the officer's answers and the fruits of those answers may not be used against the officer in a subsequent criminal prosecution. Second, the department becomes limited as to what they may ask. Such questions must be specifically, narrowly, and directly tailored to the officer's job.

Thus, the basic thrust of the Garrity Rights or Garrity Rule is that a department member may be compelled to give statements under threat of discipline or discharge but those statements may not be used in the criminal prosecution of the individual officer. This means that the Garrity Rule only protects a department member from criminal prosecution based upon statements he or she might make under threat of discipline or discharge.

Also, the Garrity Rule is not automatically triggered simply because questioning is taking place. The officer must announce that he or she wants the protections under Garrity. The above statement should be prepared in writing, and the officer should obtain a copy of it. If a written statement is being taken from an officer, the officer should insist that the Garrity Warning actually be typed in the statement. Consult your attorney and union delegate for the laws regarding Garrity in your state before providing any statement. "

:wink:

07-23-2007, 07:07 PM
I read the previous postings and had to add something else.

DO NOT MISTAKE MIRANDA WITH GARRITY.

The US Constitution applies to every citizen and police officers are not exempted. If you commit a crime, you may be punish. In the progress of an investigation, an investigator (IA or homicide) might want to ask you for some questions.

The rights of a LEO are described by Florida Laws and the department must adhere to them, if not they are committing a felony. Become familiar with them. Anyways, Miranda rights or the 5th Amend. does apply to LEOs. If an officer is going to be interview, a letter is sent at least two weeks ahead (unless relating to safety and urgent). They do this to give you ample of time to get an attorney, just like if you were a civilian.

At the meeting, your attorney will imply that you are envoking your rights from self-incrimination (Miranda) just like any other smart civilian would. Here is the catch, the investigator is acting on behalf of your employer and therefore can recommend termination for insubordination for failure to answer. That is why Garrity exist. If Garrity is granted, after your request in fear of losing your job, the information cannot be use in a criminal trial agaisnt you but it could be use against other officers.

Your employer cannot, if not giving you Garrity, continue with the interview. It must cease just like a civilian.

Here are the steps of a criminal interview:

-Show up with an attorney.
-Interview.
-5th Amendment invoked (Miranda), do not answer questions leading to a criminal case.
-demand Garrity if they want you to answer since you do not want to be out of employment.
-if Garrity is granted, then talk.
-if Garrity is denied, they really want to arrest you since they do not care about administrative actions; DO NOT TALK. Just fight in court.
-of utmost importance, ONLY 1 INVESTIGATOR CAN ASK YOU QUESTIONS, so do not let Nazario be in it, tell him to fuc* of*.

Now if you are half smart, you would always add on the first sentence of any reports relating to an use of force (including A forms) the following:

I was ordered by Sgt. Pablo Picasso to complete this report. This order is listed on departmental SOP number *** , which orders me to write this report and failure of it would result in disciplinary actions including termination.

Garrity is given, since you are showing that our departmental SOPs violates your right from self-incrimination and Garrity is implied by the department. It does not have to be verbal, the department is implying it since you have no choice to be protected under the 5th Amendment.

The reports will never be use in a criminal court against you. Remember, it does not stop investigators and prosecutors from seeing the reports. Which would help them to make their minds up anyway and find other ways to incriminate you if they really want.

By the way, there is only one charge that it is not protected from Garrity. Guess which one: yes, correct, that is PERJURY.

Be smart and get an attorney always, specially when IA has one.

07-23-2007, 09:32 PM
except one of our deputy chiefs (OA) just recently put out an order that the practice of wirting "I was ordered by Sgt. @#$%^" to complete this report "shall cease immmediately"........
so, if we do write it are we disobeying a direct order?

07-23-2007, 10:30 PM
That is very simple. When you are involved in a use of force simple ask your Sergeant if you must do one because you feel you might have done something wrong. Remember Officers involved in shooting do not write anything! There is nothing wrong with asking. When the Sergeant tells you yes you do have to do one. Then you write that you were told to write the use of force by Sgt. Ronin. That is simple. Do not think you will get by the State Attorney with the fact that you were so afraid you could not ask a simple question.

On the other hand if the Sergeant tells you not to write one then you ask for a lawyer, simple. Just remember you MUST invoke Garrity or it can be challenged. It does not mean the challenge will be successful like on Officer Castillo's case, but during a hard time like that do you want to go through and extra hoop? You have the same rights as any scumbag walking down Palm Ave. Don't ever forget that. Stand up for once in your lives. You are all honorable men and women and must do what is just.

07-23-2007, 10:40 PM
Please remember that our departmental (Non-CALEA Certified) policies are very Gray to say the least. Simple question everytime an officer with the Hialeah police Department is involved in using force against a civilian does he or she have to write a use of force narrative?

I bet most of you said yes. Do they fill one out in a shooting scenario? NO! Yet this is not addressed in our departmental policies. So the State Attorney will say that you do have a choice when writing a use of force. You just have to ask. An officer in a shooting will ask if he or she has to write one and if they are ordered then they have Garrity if not they have the choice not to write one and ask for a lawyer. Simple, but true. If you want to bet your career on HPD's great policies then go for it. You will be asking if there is In-House time next?!!!!!

07-25-2007, 06:44 PM
Do you guys know why in the military the sworn oath differs from military officers and enlisted officers?

After enlistment in the army and college, I noticed that both administered oaths differs. Here they are:

Enlisted

I, _____, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God." (Title 10, US Code; Act of 5 May 1960 replacing the wording first adopted in 1789, with amendment effective 5 October 1962).

Officers

"I, _____ (SSAN), having been appointed an officer in the Army of the United States, as indicated above in the grade of _____ do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign or domestic, that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservations or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office upon which I am about to enter; So help me God." (DA Form 71, 1 August 1959, for officers.)

Is very simple, enlisted will follow all orders given by superior officers. Commissioned officers have the common sense to deviate from orders for the good of the military.

For some reason, members of the City of Hialeah Police Department command staff believe that they can bend the rules or interpret SOP's different. They believe they can make their own rules as they go along. The bottom line is that it is illegal under administrative rules to follow or issue an illegal order, illegal meaning agaisnt SOPs, federal, and state laws.

Under Florida laws, officers shall (will) documents all relevant information pertaining to any case while carrying out their duties. It is also incuded in departmental SOPs. Failure to document all of the information pertaining to a case, whether pro-prosecution or pro-defense, can result in a criminal prosecution since you are hindering an investigation.

Is very simple, in the course of your duties, you are required at times to use force to prevent harm to you or others. Failure to document pertaining information can be criminally liable on your behalf. If you are ordered, whether implied by SOPs, verbal or e-mail, to not document information on a use of force, arrest forms, or reports, advise the SAO public corruption unit.

For example, do you write use of force because you want to or because you are told to do it. Failure leads to disciplinary actions up to termination. But writing in a piece of paper that you slapped someone in self-defense still incriminating if the investigation heads that way after. Remember, hitting someone is a crime (battery) and self-defense is just another defense to be proven in court.

If a defendant is arrested and handcuffed, then an officer hits him, that officer just committed battery. If the officer claims self-defense as a defense, then a jury will decide. Is it worth the hassle by failure to write a stupid sentence?

It seems that they are looking for a loophole to stop automatically implied Garrity rights granted when compel statements are been requested.