PDA

View Full Version : Sunpass for marked units

07-18-2007, 08:14 PM
I was one of the Deputies that went out a couple of years ago and bought a sunpass for my marked unit with unlimited free tolls. The Govenor stated that he did not want marked police cars paying to travel on toll roads for visibility reasons. He stated that we could purchase a $25 unlimited sunpass and not pay for tolls while driving our marked units. I have friends that work for several other police departments down here that purchased them too. Our sheriff stated that he did not like the idea and made sunpass turn ours (BSO) off??? It does not make sense to travel all the way out to I95 and waste gas & time to avoid the turnpike!!!
Anyone else in the same boat?

07-18-2007, 09:10 PM
I definately agree!!! Again, this is another example of the sheriff not giving a d*** about his people. I bet he has one in his car.

07-18-2007, 11:19 PM
I definately agree!!! Again, this is another example of the sheriff not giving a d*** about his people. I bet he has one in his car.

You chose to live where you would have to pay tolls to get back and forth. Pay the toll tight wad. Youre lucky you have a take home car. Oh yeah....rookies like you thinkl that its OWED to you and isnt a privelege....

07-19-2007, 02:54 AM
Guest 11 missed the point. I also purchased one of the "free use LEO" Sunpasses. I live in Broward County.

The gov and the FDOT started the program because they wanted more cop cars on the turnpike and the sawgrass xway.

Unfortunately, some of our fellow deputies bragged too much about it and some of the have-nots started whining about it, so the colonel pulled the plug on all of us.

07-19-2007, 01:18 PM
I thought it was one deputy buying a dozen or more and handing them out to his friends....????????????

07-19-2007, 05:32 PM
Yes guest 11 missed the point!! Sorry but I am not a rookie so good try. I just believe that people should have the protection of marked units on toll roads just the same as non toll roads. It's just another thing that BSO did that does not make sense. Try going into one of those yahoo chat rooms if you want to be so negative. Have a sage day:oo)

09-02-2007, 11:22 AM
I was one of the Deputies that went out a couple of years ago and bought a sunpass for my marked unit with unlimited free tolls. The Govenor stated that he did not want marked police cars paying to travel on toll roads for visibility reasons. He stated that we could purchase a $25 unlimited sunpass and not pay for tolls while driving our marked units. I have friends that work for several other police departments down here that purchased them too. Our sheriff stated that he did not like the idea and made sunpass turn ours (BSO) off??? It does not make sense to travel all the way out to I95 and waste gas & time to avoid the turnpike!!!

pay the tolls like the hundreds of jailers do,, you should pay for your own gas too,, we do...

09-02-2007, 11:59 AM

pay the tolls like the hundreds of jailers do,, you should pay for your own gas too,, we do...Yo C.O, who's fault is that?

09-02-2007, 01:01 PM

pay the tolls like the hundreds of jailers do,, you should pay for your own gas too,, we do... Hey jailer then become a real cop! Stay off the LEO website and go to turnkey.com!

09-02-2007, 02:24 PM

pay the tolls like the hundreds of jailers do,, you should pay for your own gas too,, we do...

Ok Captain Keyring, I don't disparage you guys, but you've thrown the first stone now. You want a car? You want gas? Then you come out here and walk the walk and talk the talk. I know you have a tough job "inside" but don't even try to think that we have it better that you. The people we deal with still have their freedoms "out here". There is a much greater degree of uncertainty with our job. When was the last time a DOD Deputy was killed "inside"? If an inmate dosen't do what you tell them to, there are consequences. On the outside, we have much more legal guidelines to follow before someone faces consequences.

Then as we're on the tollroads, travelling the speed limit, we get a car tailgating us or even passing us like we're not even there. Then when we stop you, we get MAJOR attitude and smart arse comments like, "What, I wasn't driving fast enough for you?". How's that for respect? And I don't even want to get started on the parity issue, THAT YOU GUYS DON"T DESERVE.

If you want what we have, come out and get it, otherwise keep your little pie holes shut.

09-02-2007, 03:00 PM

Never had a problem with you guys, but since you came on the feild to play ball, stop worrying about us using sun pass and worry about your fellow jailer whos now a resident of Main jail!!!!!!

09-02-2007, 06:37 PM

Never had a problem with you guys, but since you came on the feild to play ball, stop worrying about us using sun pass and worry about your fellow jailer whos now a resident of Main jail!!!!!! My fellow deputies, listen and listen good. I have been using the turnpike for 5-years and have never paid for a toll. Why is this, simple, law enforcement dont pay, period. If you are challenged on it you will win every time. The administration has no say in reference to the tolls and they know it. The state officialy allows us to use the turnpike for free. Let me inform you how the laws are enforced in this country. Federal, state and local, in that order. The Broward Sheriffes office is not part of the law making body. Good luck and have fun saving money.

09-02-2007, 07:30 PM
[quote=FellowDeppp]I was one of the Deputies that went out a couple of years ago and bought a sunpass for my marked unit with unlimited free tolls. The Govenor stated that he did not want marked police cars paying to travel on toll roads for visibility reasons. He stated that we could purchase a $25 unlimited sunpass and not pay for tolls while driving our marked units. I have friends that work for several other police departments down here that purchased them too. Our sheriff stated that he did not like the idea and made sunpass turn ours (BSO) off??? It does not make sense to travel all the way out to I95 and waste gas & time to avoid the turnpike!!!

Never had a problem with you guys, but since you came on the feild to play ball, stop worrying about us using sun pass and worry about your fellow jailer whos now a resident of Main jail!!!!!! My fellow deputies, listen and listen good. I have been using the turnpike for 5-years and have never paid for a toll. Why is this, simple, law enforcement dont pay, period. If you are challenged on it you will win every time. The administration has no say in reference to the tolls and they know it. The state officialy allows us to use the turnpike for free. Let me inform you how the laws are enforced in this country. Federal, state and local, in that order. The Broward Sheriffes office is not part of the law making body. Good luck and have fun saving money.[/quote:19ww3mrw]

I too have been riding for free for at least 5 years. I spoke to a neighbor in DOT who advised that they do not even look at the video from the toll plazas on any of the roads (turnpike, sawgrass or tpk ext.) He did tell me that in Miami Dade the MDX (Dade Hwy Authority) does send violations via mail, but only to civilian cars. I travel everyday on two toll roads and like I said before I have not paid for a single toll. It saves me about $800 a year. I do stop for FHP, 10-60 at times (elderly or mom with little kids) and even have written a ticket or two so I am performing my job while traveling these roads. Screw Jenne and the admin if they think I am wrong. I will continue to do so I know some in Admin do it as well.

Free Ride

09-02-2007, 08:41 PM
It's not just for the poeple in Palm Beach. My district gets calls on the turnpike from time to time. Now that I am on the Tpike, I have to pay to get off. There should be a free toll card in the cars for this.

09-02-2007, 08:59 PM
I feel that is great to not charge tolls and offer the sunpass to the many law enforcement ofcrs throughout the state. Now on the flip side I see many marked units driving the turnpike, I95 and I595 and they pass by the many motorist broke down on the side of the road. Now my question is why? You want to avoid paying tolls but refuse to help the stranded motorist needing your help. Hmmm sounds hypacritical?????

09-02-2007, 09:05 PM
Fellow deputies, why do we berate one another. Whether we work on the "inside" or on the road, we all mourn when a fellow deputy goes down.
"One Love."

09-02-2007, 09:13 PM
The truth is many Deputies bought the non-revenue sunpass, and paid the $25. When BSO cancelled them we should have been allowed to turn them back in for a refund. But that a side, Florida State Law allows for marked Law Enf Vehicles to use the turnpike free, I think the statute is under Section 355. We do enforcement, stop for accidents, assist motorists and back up FHP so why should we have to pay. Hey I appreicat the take home car, and blah blah blah.

I do not stop for every broken down motorist, 1 because I would never get home, 2 EVERYONE has a cell phone and can call for help, and on the Turnpk there is a phone every 1 mile for stranded motorists. I stop when there is a female alone especially at night, because I would not want my wife or daughter alone. The Sheriff should give us a pass and not sweat the small stuff. After all we are the COPS and we are ALLOWED. It is a perc and we need to save money for our property taxes and homeowners insur

09-03-2007, 01:39 AM
I feel that is great to not charge tolls and offer the sunpass to the many law enforcement ofcrs throughout the state. Now on the flip side I see many marked units driving the turnpike, I95 and I595 and they pass by the many motorist broke down on the side of the road. Now my question is why? You want to avoid paying tolls but refuse to help the stranded motorist needing your help. Hmmm sounds hypacritical?????
Because 9 out of 10 are stupid idiots who refuse to put gas in their cars and pretend to be broken down. Mechanical problems yes. Dumb ass to cheap to put gas in the car deserves to walk 3 miles each way. They will learn their lesson.

09-03-2007, 08:22 AM
The truth is many Deputies bought the non-revenue sunpass, and paid the $25. When BSO cancelled them we should have been allowed to turn them back in for a refund. But that a side, Florida State Law allows for marked Law Enf Vehicles to use the turnpike free, I think the statute is under Section 355. We do enforcement, stop for accidents, assist motorists and back up FHP so why should we have to pay. Hey I appreicat the take home car, and blah blah blah.

I do not stop for every broken down motorist, 1 because I would never get home, 2 EVERYONE has a cell phone and can call for help, and on the Turnpk there is a phone every 1 mile for stranded motorists. I stop when there is a female alone especially at night, because I would not want my wife or daughter alone. The Sheriff should give us a pass and not sweat the small stuff. After all we are the COPS and we are ALLOWED. It is a perc and we need to save money for our property taxes and homeowners insur

Put the blame where it belongs. We did have Sunpasses and the few deputies who decided to take advantage and buy them at the reduced rate for their neighborhood spoiled it for all. We are our own worst enemies. Same as when we used to get breaks for anything. There are the arrogant few who take advantage and again spoil it for all. I lost my pass too so Im not blowing smoke up anyones arse. I dont blame BSO.....I blame the deputies who had to try and pull a fast one. Now we all suffer for it.

09-03-2007, 09:57 AM
Wait, Sunpasses?..We had Sunpasses?..When?...And like the guy said before, marked units are exempt, but the toll collectors will take your money if you give it to them

09-03-2007, 12:44 PM
No reason to be such an a**hole " Realcop" if you had to pay for the tolls and gas you'd probably be on welfare. Oh and you may want to use spellcheck when replying, you only make yourself look foolish not knowing how to spell.

09-03-2007, 12:57 PM
First Pat is only doing his job, leave him alone. Second, the road guys, most not ALL think they are better than the jail people. Any one of you who has come from the jail always turns your back on the jailers. We see it everytime we have to train with you. Why? It is what it is..
Being cross certified we actually have more training than a lot of the road patrol.
And as far as the turnpike, What gives the road people the right to speed past everyone doing about 85 mph on their way home,, and if you follow them at that speed they get angry and say you are disrespecting them by driving the same speed they are. Get over yourselves, you are people with a job just like the jailers.

09-03-2007, 03:42 PM
OK, I HEARD THAT A DEPUTY ABUSED THE FREE SUN PASS DEAL SO WE LOST IT. TYPICAL. THE REASON WE HAVE TAKE HOME CARS IS AN INCREASED PRESENCE ON THE ROADS. THE CARS ARE ALSO BETTER CARED FOR WHEN ASSIGNED TO ONE PERSON. TOLL ROADS ARE ROADS. WE SHOULD RIDE FREE FOR FREE PATROL. AS FOR THE JAILER, LOOK WE DON’T CARE WHAT YOU THINK. STAY OFF OUR SITE OR YOU WILL BE LOOKED UPON AS A WANNABE. WHAT’S THE MATTER COULDN’T PASS THE PSYCHE. P.S. I’VE NEVER WRITTEN A JAILER EVEN THOUGH I’VE MET SOME THAT WERE JERKS. DON’T START SOMETHING.

09-03-2007, 05:47 PM
who said it was YOUR website,, do you really believe you are better than the people in the jail. ?? more than half of us have more training than you.. let me guess you have a ccn about 14000-15000?? Believe it or not moron LEO includes correction officers too.. anyway jack*** a lot of us here in the pits make over 80000 a year.
You must be one of the ones who lives out of county, what are you gonna do when they stop the take home cars?? you'll finally have to pay for gas,, oh and tolls..........

quote="WEIGHINGIN"]OK, I HEARD THAT A DEPUTY ABUSED THE FREE SUN PASS DEAL SO WE LOST IT. TYPICAL. THE REASON WE HAVE TAKE HOME CARS IS AN INCREASED PRESENCE ON THE ROADS. THE CARS ARE ALSO BETTER CARED FOR WHEN ASSIGNED TO ONE PERSON. TOLL ROADS ARE ROADS. WE SHOULD RIDE FREE FOR FREE PATROL. AS FOR THE JAILER, LOOK WE DON’T CARE WHAT YOU THINK. STAY OFF OUR SITE OR YOU WILL BE LOOKED UPON AS A WANNABE. WHAT’S THE MATTER COULDN’T PASS THE PSYCHE. P.S. I’VE NEVER WRITTEN A JAILER EVEN THOUGH I’VE MET SOME THAT WERE JERKS. DON’T START SOMETHING.[/quote]

09-03-2007, 06:38 PM
What is the procedure or what was the procedure to get these sunpasses anyway. I never got one, but in the off chance we are allowed again, I would like to know.

Thanks.....

09-04-2007, 04:52 AM
I thought it was one deputy buying a dozen or more and handing them out to his friends....????????????
Yes it was. It was the same Deputy that shot the unarmed Mexican in the head in Pompano Beach. He no longer works for the Agency.

09-04-2007, 05:19 AM
its not that we get angry when you jail guys fly by us on the road, is that most of the time we don't see you inside the car because your tints are illegal and your seats are to low. Oh and by the way your lime green car with 22's wheel makes you look like a thug. So don't get upset if we give you dirty looks at first.

09-04-2007, 05:23 AM
glad to know i dont have to waste my money on tolls like an ...hole again.

09-04-2007, 11:17 AM
sounds a little racist

quote="roadone"]its not that we get angry when you jail guys fly by us on the road, is that most of the time we don't see you inside the car because your tints are illegal and your seats are to low. Oh and by the way your lime green car with 22's wheel makes you look like a thug. So don't get upset if we give you dirty looks at first.[/quote]

09-08-2007, 08:47 PM

Ok "Jailer1", Florida State Statute 338.155(1) states, "...Any law enforcement officer operating a marked official vehicle is exempt from toll payment when on official law enforcement business." We always told we are on duty 24/7. See for yourself from the link below.
I understand the former Sheriff's stance on this issue, but I do not agree with it. Not to sound like a broken record, but if you want what we have, then come out and get it. :wink:

http://www.flsenate.gov/Statutes/index. ... Sec155.HTM (http://www.flsenate.gov/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=Ch0338/Sec155.HTM)

09-08-2007, 09:18 PM
Yes it was. It was the same Deputy that shot the unarmed Mexican in the head in Pompano Beach. He no longer works for the Agency.

i thought it was the guy the went and bought the raincoats.

09-09-2007, 11:54 AM
OUCH!! JAILER1 THATS GOTTA STING.

09-11-2007, 03:52 PM

Ok "Jailer1", Florida State Statute 338.155(1) states, "...Any law enforcement officer operating a marked official vehicle is exempt from toll payment when on official law enforcement business." We always told we are on duty 24/7. See for yourself from the link below.
I understand the former Sheriff's stance on this issue, but I do not agree with it. Not to sound like a broken record, but if you want what we have, then come out and get it. :wink:

http://www.flsenate.gov/Statutes/index. ... Sec155.HTM (http://www.flsenate.gov/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=Ch0338/Sec155.HTM)

Hey "Jailer1"
So much for your (and I quote), "Being cross certified we actually have more training than a lot of the road patrol.". Guess you need to study a little more? :wink:

09-11-2007, 06:56 PM
can't we all just get along

09-11-2007, 08:37 PM
can't we all just get along

Apparently not.

I apologize for my own behavior but, Let he who is without sin, cast the first stone.

09-14-2007, 11:30 PM
:shock:

09-15-2007, 05:59 PM

You chose to live where you would have to pay tolls to get back and forth. Pay the toll tight wad. Youre lucky you have a take home car. Oh yeah....rookies like you thinkl that its OWED to you and isnt a privelege....

It's not a privilege, it's State Law. Marked Police vehicles being used for official business are exempt from paying toll. Read the books a little more..SS 338.155 (1)

09-15-2007, 06:12 PM
What is the procedure or what was the procedure to get these sunpasses anyway. I never got one, but in the off chance we are allowed again, I would like to know.

Thanks.....

Go to the Turnpike Operations Center at Glades/Turnpike (I think) and they have a form that you have to complete. It lists the vin, tag and unit number of your car. Once that is filed, the Sunpass can be purchased.

09-22-2007, 05:59 PM
The Honorable sheriff Ken Jenne said it was a gratuity.. He didn't want the public to think we get free bees.. NOW WHO IS THE FELON...

09-22-2007, 11:11 PM
How did this turn into a jailor bashing blog, I thought it was about Sunpasses. Maybe we should start a new blog about ***hole jailor wannabes to post our stories.