PDA

View Full Version : crime increase

07-17-2007, 03:47 AM
I JUST WANT TO SET THE RECORD STRAIGHT THAT I'M NOT INITIATING THIS TOPIC, TO WHINE OR COMPLAIN, BUT TO BRAIN STORM ON SOMETHING THAT I THINK MOST OF US WOULD LIKE TO KNOW.

SINCE OUR TACTICAL/CP UNITS HAVE BEEN REASSIGNED BACK TO PATROL I HAVE NOTICED AN INCREASE IN RESIDENTIAL, BUSINESS AND VEHICLE BURGLARIES THE PAST COUPLE OF WEEKS.

FOR EXAMPLE THIS PAST WEEKEND ZONE 11 GOT HIT HARD WITH SEVERAL BURGLARIES TYING UP 3111,3112 AND 5148 FOR ALMOST THEIR ENTIRE SHIFT.

WITH THE 12 HOURS COMING AND BUDGET CUTS I CAN FORSEE THIS TYPE OF TREND BLOSSOMING INTO A HUGE COUNTY WIDE PROBLEM. IF OUR TACTICAL UNITS CAN BE PUT BACK INTO PLACE, SPEND MORE TIME IN THESE AREAS ENFORCING AND CONTACTING SUSPECTS I'M SURE IT WELL HELP SUPPRESS SOME OF THIS CRIMINAL ACTIVITY AND HELP REDUCE THE WORK LOAD.

ALMOST LIKE THE OLD TAC UNIT I KEEP HEARING ABOUT THAT WAS COUNTY WIDE AND WOULD GO INTO AREAS OF INTEREST, HITTING IT HARD WHICH DEPLEATED ALOT OF BURGLARIES.

ANY THOUGHTS?

07-17-2007, 05:29 AM
Bring Back CSU!!!!!

07-17-2007, 01:24 PM
SINCE OUR TACTICAL/CP UNITS HAVE BEEN REASSIGNED BACK TO PATROL I HAVE NOTICED AN INCREASE IN RESIDENTIAL, BUSINESS AND VEHICLE BURGLARIES THE PAST COUPLE OF WEEKS.
The increase in violent crimes and home invasions has been increasing long before CSU was disbanded.

WITH THE 12 HOURS COMING AND BUDGET CUTS I CAN FORSEE THIS TYPE OF TREND BLOSSOMING INTO A HUGE COUNTY WIDE PROBLEM. IF OUR TACTICAL UNITS CAN BE PUT BACK INTO PLACE, SPEND MORE TIME IN THESE AREAS ENFORCING AND CONTACTING SUSPECTS I'M SURE IT WELL HELP SUPPRESS SOME OF THIS CRIMINAL ACTIVITY AND HELP REDUCE THE WORK LOAD.
In my opinion we should have one (1) countwide tactical unit of about 5 or 6 deputies to address this problem. However, whenever we get such an "elite" unit, strange strange things always seem to happen. Look at MSO's problems with their elite Delta (aka CSU) unit. I dunno...

ALMOST LIKE THE OLD TAC UNIT I KEEP HEARING ABOUT THAT WAS COUNTY WIDE AND WOULD GO INTO AREAS OF INTEREST, HITTING IT HARD WHICH DEPLEATED ALOT OF BURGLARIES.

ANY THOUGHTS?
Yeaaaa I think that having a "countywide" CSU unit is definately better than having 3 seperate CSU units for each district. SIB isn't split up for the same kinds of reasons. But again: whenever an agency creates such an elite unit, strange strange things begin to happen. It becomes the envy of the department and most people would give up their left nut to join that kind of a unit. Then we have problems with moral turpitude (an FDLE term) and corruption and, well, you get the idea. That kind of a unit would require a he11uva lot of supervision to "keep it in check." It sounds good in theory, but in reality... :?

07-17-2007, 01:53 PM
Yeaaaa I think that having a "countywide" CSU unit is definately better than having 3 seperate CSU units for each district. SIB isn't split up for the same kinds of reasons. But again: whenever an agency creates such an elite unit, strange strange things begin to happen. It becomes the envy of the department and most people would give up their left nut to join that kind of a unit. Then we have problems with moral turpitude (an FDLE term) and corruption and, well, you get the idea. That kind of a unit would require a he11uva lot of supervision to "keep it in check." It sounds good in theory, but in reality... :?

How about putting that unit back together with the guys that use to work it. I wasn't here when that unit existed and only heard nothing but positive things about the guys that worked in it. No corruption or things of that nature.

07-20-2007, 02:32 AM
Over the past year things have been getting crazy. You can't blame it on CSU departure but it would certainly help if we had the staffing to refill the spots.

07-20-2007, 06:03 PM
The old tac unit had 4 or 5 deputies assigned to it along with the k-9 guys...We used to kick ass in this county

07-20-2007, 06:06 PM
Crime still isnt as bad as it was in the late 80's and early 90's the height of the crack cocaine epidemic. Today its far from crazy. Its gotten busier in last two years im not saying it hasnt but we are far from crazy busy with violent crimes like it used to be.

07-20-2007, 06:18 PM
What's up with the sudden increase in home invasion robberies??? People with shotguns and pistols kicking in doors and whatnot. I've never seen this many home invasions since I was hired. The last few months has been the worst ever. At least it's not innocent citizens getting their doors kicked in ----- it's bad guys kicking in the doors of other bad guys. :shock:

07-21-2007, 12:43 AM
what would be the line up? please provide me with 6 to 8 deputies and i may take this into consideration.

07-21-2007, 12:48 AM
IT IS ALL ABOUT SELECTION. IF YOU GATHER UP X8 DEPS IN A SPECIAL UNIT THAT ARE SMART AND SHARP YOU WONT HAVE THE DELTA UNIT / BPD TYPE ISSUES. IF YOU SELECT FOLKS THAT ARE QUESTIONABLE AND PUT THEM IN A SPECIAL STREET TYP UNIT ITS TROUBLE. I THINK OUR AGENCY COULD GET SOME GOOD DEPS FOR THIS TYPE OF UNIT.

07-21-2007, 12:54 AM
what would be the line up? please provide me with 6 to 8 deputies and i may take this into consideration.

Sasse,Nichols,Vleck, Daubert, Barrett, J Allen, D Doyle, J Manning

07-21-2007, 03:19 AM
Dont forget Lane

07-21-2007, 12:00 PM
oh i wont :wink:

07-21-2007, 12:19 PM
Night train LANE woooooooooooooo wooooooooooooooo

07-22-2007, 11:50 AM
did this unit get speciality pay and how long was it on the streets for? what did they do that was different then the tac unit.

07-24-2007, 11:04 PM
no , they worked under cib but did street crime operations and sg75's etc. they would do followup on cib cases as well as work any cib case. i think its time for another unit like csu or similiar.

07-26-2007, 11:00 PM
either way sounds like a x8 unit count me in :D

07-26-2007, 11:22 PM
Count me in too. I think that would be a great unit to be in and i hope they seriously consider it

07-27-2007, 01:46 AM
Ok, which SGT to run it? Dont care about LT or even CPT, give me the SGT who could run it, stand up for his guys, stand up to Majors/Car 1 if a job NEEDS doing.

07-27-2007, 11:49 PM
Ok, which SGT to run it? Dont care about LT or even CPT, give me the SGT who could run it, stand up for his guys, stand up to Majors/Car 1 if a job NEEDS doing.

Pezzella!

07-28-2007, 01:53 AM
Bauer is my choice.

07-28-2007, 11:09 AM
S Lally, B Pollack, R Vleck, B Barrett, D Daubert, J Allen, D Doyle, J Manning, and ( ME ) with Sgt Pezzella would be my choice.

08-02-2007, 12:16 AM
I ALSO AGREE I THINK WE NEED ONE UNIT FOR THE ENTIRE COUNTY. A 8 MAN TEAM WITH ONE SGT UNDER A CAPT. WHY DO I THINK THIS WILL WORK WELL LETS JUST SAY ITS BEEN DONE BEFORE AND DONE WELL IN THE LATE 1980'S 8)

08-02-2007, 12:43 AM
The first C.S.U. will be tuff to match

08-02-2007, 01:02 AM
I think B. Pollack, Sasse, B. Barret, R. Nichols, Lally, Coleman, Ward, Eve and SGT. Pezzella. Make it countywide and outside of individual district politics.

08-02-2007, 09:32 AM
I think B. Pollack, Sasse, B. Barret, R. Nichols, Lally, Coleman, Ward, Eve and SGT. Pezzella. Make it countywide and outside of individual district politics.
Yeaa those are good candidates because they are "go getters" and they are constantly making quality arrests all the time. Regardless of who gets selected, we need a unit for special projects, survellence, addressing hot spots in the county, etc...

08-04-2007, 02:40 PM
i have noticed prior to retiring that violent crime had increased. sso needs a unit that will address this type of crime. our counities to the north and south both have a unit that works on this type of crime. i remember when we had the first tac unit 1982 (berger,dellaccio,carney,barber,brongel,and snell)and they were effective. i left around when this last tac unit was formed. i hope sso developes another unit and places it under special investigation bureau just as it was back in 1985.

WITH THE INCREASE IN CRIME OUR SHERIFF OFFICE NEEDS A UNIT DIRECTED TOWARDS PROACTIVE ENFORCEMENT JUST AS WE DID IN THE EARLY 80'S.

08-09-2007, 10:27 AM
Yes our county needs a tactical unit and it has no excuse not to have one. the increase in crime in sarasota county demands it. one unit with approx 6 max deputies with one sgt would work.

08-09-2007, 12:39 PM
A major problem with tactical squads is over time they can transform into elite units and become prima donnas who can do no wrong. They become independent to the rest of the department and take on an aire of superiority that promotes the theory that they are too important to respond to a “routine” call, write a report for a “routine” call, and if they do respond, transport a prisoner. The regular grunt officers become their lackeys and taxi service for them because they don’t want their state of the art vehicles contaminated with the smell of a dirt bag. If their officer in charge is given the authority to only report to the highest command level rank, they will use it to foster their own agenda and the agenda of the interest of their squad and not the entire agency. In short unless they are required to go by the same rules and follow the same chain of command as all others, over time they become loose cannons who accomplish nothing except to get a few headline arrest every once in a while to so their unit wont be dissolved. On the positive side, if they don’t take on any of the negatives mentioned and never forget they are part of the entire team of an agency, they can be a great asset.

08-09-2007, 12:48 PM
A major problem with tactical squads is over time they can transform into elite units and become prima donnas who can do no wrong. They become independent to the rest of the department and take on an aire of superiority that promotes the theory that they are too important to respond to a “routine” call, write a report for a “routine” call, and if they do respond, transport a prisoner. The regular grunt officers become their lackeys and taxi service for them because they don’t want their state of the art vehicles contaminated with the smell of a dirt bag. If their officer in charge is given the authority to only report to the highest command level rank, they will use it to foster their own agenda and the agenda of the interest of their squad and not the entire agency. In short unless they are required to go by the same rules and follow the same chain of command as all others, over time they become loose cannons who accomplish nothing except to get a few headline arrest every once in a while to so their unit wont be dissolved. On the positive side, if they don’t take on any of the negatives mentioned and never forget they are part of the entire team of an agency, they can be a great asset.
Very well written and I agree 100% because I've seen it with my own eyes!!!! In our old elite TAC unit from several years ago (not the current guys), I had a rape case with a viable suspect and TAC was x8, so I called them on-scene to have them "take over" the investigation because, wellll uhhhhh they were detectives, right? (Back then, they WERE detectives). Well they both started scratching their heads and it was clear that they didn't want the case because it would involved WORK. I dunno. It was just a weird experience for me. Where was the team effort in getting the BG??? They we had that one guy who was a homo (I won't say his name, but he was forced to leave and he eventually got AIDS and...).... anyways, I can't even begin to tell you the things that HE was doing on-duty!!!! Yep, a unit like that MUST play by the same rules as everyone else and MUST fall under the SAME chain-of-command and must be closely monitored. Otherwise, they become prima donnas who are too important to work "ordinary" cases. Close supervision is needed if we form another TAC unit??? How about forcing them to rotate out of TAC every six months with the bid cycle? ;)

08-09-2007, 07:05 PM
Im not sure I agree with a lot of the names from the south end. Some of those guys are not whom I would categorize as go getters (nice guys) however rotating every six months is Bad idea. Whats the point of having senority and time in grade and getting to a specialty unit if you have to rotate every six months.

Barrett,Eve,Pollock,Shirley,Wilson,Lally are all go getters and they would serve it well as they have always humped calls

08-11-2007, 03:32 PM
SEU SELECTIVE ENFORCEMENT UNIT 8 MAN UNIT ONE SGT UNDER A CAPT.

08-12-2007, 07:20 AM
How about some guys who want to work. Several of the guys mentioned in the above post just want to be in a special unit b/c they think they can do less work and their #@@@ dont stink. Time to go to dayshift permanently 3102. Lets get some guys who are still motivated. As far as answering routine patrol call while we are out. Yes we will come back u up, but don't expect us to take the call as primary. We have other responsibilities (and x44 from a call doesnt count at starcrap time). Just cause u see them logged on for 256 minutes without going out on something doesn't mean they aren't working hard. What they are working on may save u a lot of x44 down the road. So before you knock what you know nothing about ask us in person, if we can tell you what is going on, we will, if not we will let you know when the assignment is over. But without a doubt we need a special project unit (no matter what politically correct name it is given).

08-12-2007, 07:27 AM
Its about time we kept up with the times an current crime trends and got a gang unit. At least a two man(or woman) team to keep track of current gang crime trends. One of the guys up north can tell you about the stuff going on but, there aren't only gangs in newtown. Of course how many home invasion sg 41's have we had so far this year. Can u say, lets try Rico. It worked for hillsbourgh and manatee. TIme to keep up with the compatition.

08-12-2007, 10:52 AM
Its about time we kept up with the times an current crime trends and got a gang unit. At least a two man(or woman) team to keep track of current gang crime trends. One of the guys up north can tell you about the stuff going on but, there aren't only gangs in newtown. Of course how many home invasion sg 41's have we had so far this year. Can u say, lets try Rico. It worked for hillsbourgh and manatee. TIme to keep up with the compatition.
The RICO statute started off as a federal law and it's used by the feds all the time because it's very effective. Florida then created a state version of the RICO statute. In the Monge era, the brass in CIB wouldn't allow us to use the Florida RICO statute, I'm not sure why. Anyways, ever since then, nobody from our department has ever tried to use the RICO statute. Is it time we started trying to apply a few "test cases" with the RICO statute with some of the gangbangers? Yep, probably. But now you know why we (the SSO) haven't been using RICO.

08-12-2007, 06:03 PM
i also agree our agency needs a special unit to work street thugs, tampa pd has the quad squad and they have been around for years. why cant our agency keep a special crime fighting unit?

08-22-2007, 11:56 AM
COULTER IS HOT :D AND HAS MY VOTE ALSO

08-22-2007, 10:43 PM
Its a great idea but as always. It will be disbanded and someone will re-invent the wheel.

The former Tac unit was never really allowed to do actual Tac stuff anyway. I asked them several times why they didnt have plain clothes and actual undercover cars. I was told it wasnt that they didnt want to it was they were not allowed.

08-23-2007, 12:19 AM
Its a great idea but as always. It will be disbanded and someone will re-invent the wheel.

The former Tac unit was never really allowed to do actual Tac stuff anyway. I asked them several times why they didnt have plain clothes and actual undercover cars. I was told it wasnt that they didnt want to it was they were not allowed.
Because having totally unmarked cars and being totally plain clothed frequently leads to corruption IF THERE IS A LACK OF SUPERVISION.

08-23-2007, 01:33 AM
I agree with you but our agency has been fortunate with good supervision. You give officers the power of arrest, the trust of them should be agiven unless proven otherwise. I dont think it should be the entire structure of that you to be totally UC but it needs to be a factor within it defeats the mission of the Tactical unit itself.

08-23-2007, 01:34 AM
I agree with you but our agency has been fortunate with good supervision. You give officers the power of arrest, the trust of them should be agiven unless proven otherwise. I dont think it should be the entire structure of that you to be totally UC but it needs to be a factor within it defeats the mission of the Tactical unit itself.