PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone heard anything about the contract negotiations?

07-09-2007, 12:06 AM
It seems that this topic has fallen out of the sync, I hope the proposed tax cuts won't affect our department or contract negotiations.

J Rastrelli
07-09-2007, 02:04 PM
From what Ive read the school board is a special taxing authority. The school boards are not affected by property taxes. Give these guys time the contract negotiations have just started. I beleive once again the FOP will get a good one.

From what Ive also read deaprtments across Florida are cutting SRO programs to put the officers back on the road. What a great time for Miami-Dade school board to create new pacs and increase the depatment. A continued commitment to protecting our future. HInt HInt this would make the people at the top look good also.

07-10-2007, 03:40 AM
From what Ive read the school board is a special taxing authority. The school boards are not affected by property taxes. Give these guys time the contract negotiations have just started. I beleive once again the FOP will get a good one.

From what Ive also read deaprtments across Florida are cutting SRO programs to put the officers back on the road. What a great time for Miami-Dade school board to create new pacs and increase the depatment. A continued commitment to protecting our future. HInt HInt this would make the people at the top look good also.

Go to your property tax bill and read the portion of school board taxes, and you will notice that school board is one of biggest bills in there. If you reduce those numbers on the property tax bill then your school board will get less in return from the capitol. It's not just municipal police and fire who will suffer, everyone in public service will take a hit.

07-12-2007, 01:15 PM
School Districts are exempt from the rollbacks that were mandated by the State legislature. They are not exempt from the Constitutional Amendment, if it passes on 01/29/08. That is why public employees and public employers are rallying against it. In order to pass it must garner 60% of the votes. While not a scientific poll, the poll that the Sun-Sentinel ran on line initially had 58% in favor of it, but as more and more fallicies of the ammendment came to light, approval had dropped to 46%.

07-12-2007, 06:12 PM
thanks.