PDA

View Full Version : 10 hour vs. 12 hour shifts

07-08-2007, 07:43 PM
If BSO every gave the deputies the chance to work a 4/10 work week it would be a very nice idea. The sick time useage would go way down and it would improve morale. The 12 hour day is very long, just remember the hurricane shifts, all you do is work and sleep.
Hopefully the powers that be may let us go to the 10 hour shifts since we will probably not see a decent payraise this time around. Perks can have their advantages too.

07-08-2007, 08:31 PM
Buddy, I have a hard time staying in polyester for eight hours and you want to stay longer? I for one, after working several years with crappy days off don't care if new guys get rotating weekends off. I paid my dues and now want to work a straight eight with weekends off until I retire. Then, when you get to this point you can be this way. Seniority is never an issue until you have none.

Be safe dogs!

07-08-2007, 08:56 PM
Buddy, I have a hard time staying in polyester for eight hours and you want to stay longer? I for one, after working several years with crappy days off don't care if new guys get rotating weekends off. I paid my dues and now want to work a straight eight with weekends off until I retire. Then, when you get to this point you can be this way. Seniority is never an issue until you have none.

Be safe dogs!

With regards to your post, what is two more hours of working time. I suppose you don't work Alpha shift so you are probably hot on Bravo. As for days off, if you have senority you could have perm. 3 day weekend, Friday, Sat, & Sun, Sunrise PD has this type of schedule. I have been here for over 25 years and would like to see 3 day weekends so my senority is not an issue.

07-10-2007, 12:34 AM

Be safe dogs!

Think about it dude. Two more hours a day of downgrading a few crimes and slugging off a few calls to get an extra day off. I've worked four on (11.5 hours) and 4 off and loved it. Yes, I was a rookie at the time and it was nice to rotate into weekends. Now that I have some seniority its nice to have decent days off. All that will change for me is that I get a Mon or Fri to go with my Sat or Sun. Change is not always bad. Trust me.

07-10-2007, 04:08 AM
How about twelve 4 hours days. :lol:

LEOtheLion
07-10-2007, 01:21 PM

Be safe dogs!

I guess you like being a self serving *******- GET SOME BABY POWDER OR RETIRE

07-11-2007, 12:36 AM
How about taking a vote for 3 districts in the agency to work a different shift for a 3 month trial. One 12 hr, one 10 hr and one 8 hr with rotating days? Then get the feedback on all three and see if change is really better.

07-26-2007, 05:05 PM
4 - 12 hours day followed by 4 days off. Think about it.... You will have a mini-vacation for 4 days off before the next work rotation.

VOTE FOR IT.........

07-26-2007, 06:54 PM
How about taking a vote for 3 districts in the agency to work a different shift for a 3 month trial. One 12 hr, one 10 hr and one 8 hr with rotating days? Then get the feedback on all three and see if change is really better.

This has already been done with North Lauderdale and Deerfield Beach. The schedules were drawn up and everything was ready to go...untill...good ol' KJ kicked it back, I guess he changed his mind.

07-27-2007, 08:25 AM
I see alot wrong with what you posted. first we are one of the only agencies who work 8 hr shift, that tells you something. Most importantly is the fact that you said "I had to do it, so let the new guys do it", or something to that affect. Since you are a senior guy and you did have to suffer through wed and thur off, you should not want your new brothers to have to suffer the way you did. It's called looking out for the new guy and not stepping on him.
Just my opinion.

07-27-2007, 09:53 PM
I see alot wrong with what you posted. first we are one of the only agencies who work 8 hr shift, that tells you something. Most importantly is the fact that you said "I had to do it, so let the new guys do it", or something to that affect. Since you are a senior guy and you did have to suffer through wed and thur off, you should not want your new brothers to have to suffer the way you did. It's called looking out for the new guy and not stepping on him.
Just my opinion.

:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

07-29-2007, 05:17 AM
4 - 12 hours day followed by 4 days off. Think about it.... You will have a mini-vacation for 4 days off before the next work rotation.

VOTE FOR IT.........Yeah, you will need that mini vacation to sleep so that you can catch up on the beating your body will take from the 4 12 hour days.

08-04-2007, 10:41 PM

VOTE FOR IT.........Yeah, you will need that mini vacation to sleep so that you can catch up on the beating your body will take from the 4 12 hour days.Good point, never thought of it that way.

08-05-2007, 03:18 PM

VOTE FOR IT.........Yeah, you will need that mini vacation to sleep so that you can catch up on the beating your body will take from the 4 12 hour days.Good point, never thought of it that way.

I am sorry that you are so physically out of shape that all you can do is work and then go home and complain about it. Maybe it is time for you to get a job as a toll collector. That is an easy job.

08-09-2007, 01:23 PM
[quote=Anonymous]4 - 12 hours day followed by 4 days off. Think about it.... You will have a mini-vacation for 4 days off before the next work rotation.

I am sorry that you are so physically out of shape that all you can do is work and then go home and complain about it. Maybe it is time for you to get a job as a toll collector. That is an easy job.[/quote:13ab8cg4]Listen you grunt POS, I have a personal life, that means 3 kids and a wife that I have to give time and attention to also, thats what it physically stressful you smack off, but you would'nt know anything about that cause you only have to be there for your boy toys when they give you that midnight calling. You could'nt possibly know anything about a wife and a family. :twisted:

08-13-2012, 02:29 AM
Did you two ever work out your differences ? Built up anger is no good for anyone.