PDA

View Full Version : Cut the fat

06-28-2007, 09:23 PM
Nice to see mayor pam cut some of the dead weight from the department.

06-28-2007, 09:30 PM
To all the support people that got laid off today best of luck, I know a lot of you work hard, and I hate to see u go. We lucked out on the sworn side with the Admin Major being the only one getting a pink slip.

06-28-2007, 09:31 PM

So where did the two assistant Chief's, four of the Major's, sixteen of the Lt's and most of 411 go ?

06-28-2007, 09:33 PM

So where did the two assistant Chief's, four of the Major's, sixteen of the Lt's and most of 411 go ?

I was wrong to post this. Some good people lost their jobs today. I feel for them. I still think that this department is very top heavy and some things need change.

06-28-2007, 11:02 PM
As for giving up a part of her $15000 raise , the mayor said ," That's not being considered." Tampa Tribune 6/28/2007 page 3 Metro section.

06-28-2007, 11:23 PM
The mayor's staff was unaffected { of course). Ok we layoff some top waste but also lay off a heck of alot of people who really work for a living.. Par timer's,, they cost the city nothing in benifits... dah !!! Were is the logic there?

06-28-2007, 11:26 PM
All the Depts except police and Fire lost their Deputy Directors, I'm sure they were being paid well.

06-28-2007, 11:49 PM
If you were going to cut one of the senior major's position, why not the other two. Let the District Majors have their own Special Ops and CID, that way, they can control who's playing in their backyard, they wouldn't have to be briefed about operations going on in their districts because they will be the ones overseeing them as the district chiefs.

06-29-2007, 01:41 AM
That doesn't make any sense. Spec Ops in the district? Ok, Gasparilla, Guavaween, all special events, extra duty, vehicle coordination, UASI (Homeland Security), TRT, HNT, Bomb Squad, Mutual Aid, Emergency Management in the district - not possible. DUI and Traffic squads - sure, that will work.

They already de-centralized part of DD with auto theft, and it has not worked. Can't spot patterns, etc.

06-29-2007, 03:20 AM
I can see all of CID being eliminated and put in the districts. Quad, SAC, SRO, Autotheft and DCIU. Which area will be next?

This way each district will act as their own departments and ultimately responsible for everything in their district. Look on the bright side. We can start writing Assist OJ reports for things that occur outside your district. Another creative way to hide the numbers.

06-29-2007, 12:33 PM
I think all the broom closets at the districts have already been turned into offices, if they send anymore people there we are going to need some portables from the school district.

06-29-2007, 10:21 PM
How bout we cut 1/3 of all the Lieutenants

10 Lieutenenants cut would equal between 1 - 1.5 million bananas/clams/smakeroos

Tell me why we need so many of them?

06-30-2007, 03:24 AM
They won't cut the Lts because they are the Chief's babies. He created the mass amount of them and he is not going to cut them. He would rather cut officers first, because he needs a Lt to oversee two squads.

They should have eliminated an Assistant Chief before they eliminated the Admin Major. That could have easily saved four civilian jobs. I believe that the civilians are in more need of a job than any of those in staff. When has a civilian (other than the PIO) received a bonus for low crime numbers?

And then the Mayor says that her $15,000 dollar raise will not be cut because it is miniscule in comparison to what needs to be cut. Come on, $15,000 is probably the salary of some of the civilians.

06-30-2007, 04:43 AM
I know we have all heard this lately.

"The officer positions eliminated were ADMINISTRATIVE positions."

What the heck is that? Someone please tell the truth here. They were Police Officers and somewhere up the line someone decided to give those officers duties which do not involve fighting crime on the street.

Don't let anyone be fooled. These were SWORN positions that were eliminated, NOT civilians.

Bottom line, we now have less cops.

The tide has turned.

06-30-2007, 07:16 AM
They weren't eliminated- their positions were!

The sworn just got bumped back into patrol.

06-30-2007, 12:41 PM
They weren't eliminated- their positions were!

The sworn just got bumped back into patrol.

2 sgt positions, 1 Cpl and 9 officers positions eliminated means a smaller police force was the point he was making.

Naturally those Sgt and Cpl have to fill vacant positions on the street now, which only 1 exist right now and I guess the next one that opens will be Contendo in September. This is not over yet either, if the super exemption passes in January another 13 million will be cut, 14 million chopped off 300 city positions how many spots will another 13 million take and will they come from police? The promotional picture was grim for this next test, now its looking pretty much frozen.

06-30-2007, 06:43 PM
I don't understand why people who were sworn in to be police officers are so upset about having to actually go out and do police work again. Sure it's not as air-conditioned as 411, uniforms are involved, and report-writing, but it's still a paycheck, and it was your original chosen profession. Some of those civilians would be grateful for that option.

06-30-2007, 11:23 PM
I've been trying to get one of those "do nothing" jobs at 411 for years, but did not know the right people. Now I'm not so concerned about it. I'm glad to see some of you guys having to help us out in the summer heat and humidity going call to call!
Be Safe :D