PDA

View Full Version : We should be given the option to carry firearms

06-21-2007, 08:42 PM
I believe that dispatchers should be given the option to be trained and certified to carry handguns, at least while working. This is a major concern for most dispatchers and as a dispatcher for over 7 years, I think I can safely speak for most of us. Allowing us to work armed would not only empower us as women but would allow us to assist if our police stations were ever attacked by terrorists. Further the Dispatch Supervisors could be issued long-guns and we could check our firearms in and out before each shift. IT ONLY MAKES SENSE.

06-21-2007, 10:47 PM
I believe that dispatchers should be given the option to be trained and certified to carry handguns, at least while working. This is a major concern for most dispatchers and as a dispatcher for over 7 years, I think I can safely speak for most of us. Allowing us to work armed would not only empower us as women but would allow us to assist if our police stations were ever attacked by terrorists. Further the Dispatch Supervisors could be issued long-guns and we could check our firearms in and out before each shift. IT ONLY MAKES SENSE.

While your at it, could you handle that calls so I can eat and gossip?

06-22-2007, 12:30 AM
I believe that dispatchers should be given the option to be trained and certified to carry handguns, at least while working. This is a major concern for most dispatchers and as a dispatcher for over 7 years, I think I can safely speak for most of us. Allowing us to work armed would not only empower us as women but would allow us to assist if our police stations were ever attacked by terrorists. Further the Dispatch Supervisors could be issued long-guns and we could check our firearms in and out before each shift. IT ONLY MAKES SENSE. :wink: You have lost it!!! Why not just be an officer or deputy then????........LMAO!!!!!!.......No really I am LAUGHING!!!! :lol:

06-22-2007, 12:27 PM
Dont speak for any of us. Anyone have an I love me jacket I can borrow for this nut?

Commo Dispatch
06-22-2007, 10:44 PM
I swear, you guys are just plain dumb! These "people" if you want to call them that, keep posting these post's trying to act like Dispatchers, but you take off the Badge and gun belt, and take a seat in the "hot seat" and tell me how you feel after 8, 10 or 12 hours of having to deal with your peers. You have no idea what we go through on a daily basis, and have no respect for the people that support you in the job you do each and every day. If you were, god forbid, hurt or even killed, the first person your family would want to blame is the dispatcher... everytime something is messed up on the radio, blame the dispatcher... each time you write down the address wrong, or its given to a dispatcher wrong, you blame the dispatcher... I think its about time you take some responsiblity for your self, and take some initiave and look at what is done on the other side of the radio. Think about this, what would you do if the dispatch center closed? Could you handle taking the calls and dispatching them? Probably not!

06-23-2007, 05:44 PM
I swear, you guys are just plain dumb! These "people" if you want to call them that, keep posting these post's trying to act like Dispatchers, but you take off the Badge and gun belt, and take a seat in the "hot seat" and tell me how you feel after 8, 10 or 12 hours of having to deal with your peers. You have no idea what we go through on a daily basis, and have no respect for the people that support you in the job you do each and every day. If you were, god forbid, hurt or even killed, the first person your family would want to blame is the dispatcher... everytime something is messed up on the radio, blame the dispatcher... each time you write down the address wrong, or its given to a dispatcher wrong, you blame the dispatcher... I think its about time you take some responsiblity for your self, and take some initiave and look at what is done on the other side of the radio. Think about this, what would you do if the dispatch center closed? Could you handle taking the calls and dispatching them? Probably not!

I'd go eat if dispatch center closed! It must be stressful because you guys cant even take a joke. You should just come back and make fun of cops. I could use a good laugh. I think you need one too.

Commo Dispatch
06-23-2007, 07:35 PM
10-40,
No I can take a joke, and I actually have a wonderful sense of humor, normally I am the one making everyone in my center laught. I just see all this stuff negative about Dispatchers, and it just upset me. It wasn't directed at everyone, just those who seem to be using dispatch as the bus of their jokes!

06-23-2007, 10:22 PM
10-40,
No I can take a joke, and I actually have a wonderful sense of humor, normally I am the one making everyone in my center laught. I just see all this stuff negative about Dispatchers, and it just upset me. It wasn't directed at everyone, just those who seem to be using dispatch as the bus of their jokes!

Ya you must be a real barrel of laughs. How could I not tell. I think using dispatchers as a "bus" of their jokes was fruedian slip. ya? rattle rattle...here come the cattle.

06-24-2007, 12:44 PM
Wtf reason does a dispatcher need to carry a firearm?? Either go to school and become LEO or apply for a concealed carry permit.. Unreal

06-24-2007, 07:01 PM
Wtf reason does a dispatcher need to carry a firearm?? Either go to school and become LEO or apply for a concealed carry permit.. UnrealI agree with you totally!!!! That is what I :wink: had posted!!!!! I mean between the fat jokes, the hook-ups and now let's get a gun??!!! I don't know what next?!!!?!!!? :wink:

06-26-2007, 08:18 AM

Are you kiddin' me? Your username says it all ! You girls/guys don't get along with each other, that's all we need....HEADLINES... dispatcher kills another and injures 3 while unable to take a break for dinner.....now, who's going to dispatch that call to fire rescue? :roll: :roll: :roll:

superlw8
06-27-2007, 04:30 AM
I'm not sure we need guns, but it would be nice if we could electrify the radios....

06-27-2007, 11:52 PM
Unbelievable...some of you just don't get it. I never said that we would be police officers or SWAT members. I love being a dispatcher. But I still think, like many fellow Dispatchers who have come forward in support, that we should be issued firearms, IN CASE we are called upon to act. We would only use are guns in extreme emergencies such as attacks on the department by terrorist groups or as extra firepower during natural disasters / riot situations. I would be happy if I never needed to fire my handgun or shoot a terrorist but if it comes to that, I will be ready, along with other smart minded Dispatchers. And please stop with the hate comments. I am just giving my comman sence suggestions on behalf of concerned proffesionals.

06-28-2007, 01:16 AM
Unbelievable...some of you just don't get it. I never said that we would be police officers or SWAT members. I love being a dispatcher. But I still think, like many fellow Dispatchers who have come forward in support, that we should be issued firearms, IN CASE we are called upon to act. We would only use are guns in extreme emergencies such as attacks on the department by terrorist groups or as extra firepower during natural disasters / riot situations. I would be happy if I never needed to fire my handgun or shoot a terrorist but if it comes to that, I will be ready, along with other smart minded Dispatchers. And please stop with the hate comments. I am just giving my comman sence suggestions on behalf of concerned proffesionals.

I love your last sentence. Talking about common sense and professionals, but not being able to spell them.

Where in your "Department Issued Pajamas" would you carry?

06-28-2007, 01:39 AM

I love your last sentence. Talking about common sense and professionals, but not being able to spell them.

I think someones on to you OPPD.

06-28-2007, 04:30 AM

I think someones on to you OPPD.

That really spears me.

superlw8
06-28-2007, 06:26 AM

LOL!!! :lol:

06-29-2007, 05:45 PM

Super, why are you posting here while on duty and on agency computer? Don't you have anything better to do like maybe your JOB???????

06-30-2007, 07:29 PM

Super, why are you posting here while on duty and on agency computer? Don't you have anything better to do like maybe your JOB??????? :wink: Was that on duty or a deputy?! :wink:

superlw8
07-01-2007, 04:21 AM
Super, why are you posting here while on duty and on agency computer? Don't you have anything better to do like maybe your JOB???????

Listen, you obviously have a huge problem with me, you are following me around this forum posting crazy stuff everywhere I write.

If you have that big of a problem with me, PM with your personal info and we can talk about it like grown-ups?

Unfortunately for you, everywhere you try and burn me you are wrong. There are plenty of people on this forum who know exactly who I am and everytime you try and "catch me" with something you look ridiculous, stop now, or grow a pair and talk to me in person.

07-01-2007, 02:43 PM
I have to agree with Superlw8!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Arming dispatchers is NOT the answer to a response to terroists attacks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have seen many people come and go in my career, and the thought of some of them carrying a gun is quite SCARY!!!!!! :shock: :shock: Can you honestly say "I could shoot that person coming into the center?"..........I doubt it. If you want a gun, get a concealed weapon permit or go through the academy. But keep the guns OUT of my Communications Center :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

07-01-2007, 05:04 PM
Oh yea thats a great idea let a dispatcher carry a firearm, right along with arming a two year old. Awesome, with no training, no real world experience your going to back me up. Or run like hell in the opposite direction. Or maybe you'll be a renegade vigilant type who thinks their a police officer like that female in Palm Beach County did. Listen to all the dispatchers your not mature enough, you don't have the training, experience or fortitude to handle a situation which would call for real world solutions. God be with you Mister, Miss, or if you prefer Mrs, and I catch you with a firearm in your possession without a concealed weapon permit. Or better yet if I catch you playing Police person, I will arrest you!! Bottom line, no courtesy, no reasoning, no crying, no who you no BS. You are going to jail.

07-01-2007, 08:20 PM

This is alot more sad than it is laughable. Do you even have any idea how to shoot? Have you taken gun safety courses? Do you already own a firearm and practice with it often? Dispatchers sit in the haven of an office and do not SEE or HEAR or FEEL what any road dog does. They sympathize, but can't empathize. If they did , they would suck at their jobs. I know, because I am a dispatcher. Half the radio twits I know would shoot their own effing toes off "if called upon to act". We aren't called upon to do anything but talk on the radio. You sound like you need some serious issues worked out. You are "support staff" not the firing squad. Christ.
I won't even address the poor grammar.
But armed and dangerous is an appropriate call sign for you, that's certain.

07-02-2007, 09:39 PM
OK, am I reading this correctly? Arm the Comm. Centers? OMG! Now that is just plain funny-scary!

I can see my fellow co-workers totin' gun belts! Heck, I have hard enough time find a regular belt big enough now, how the heck would I find a gun belt big enough?

Plus the fact that we are all a little 'SG20' (crazy) to begin with, or we wouldn't be working in dispatch and the ones I know for a fact who would go postal if given the chance to have a weapon at their position....

I can also envision all the equipment we would have to replace because someone would get mad at a caller and shoot their computer!

OHHHH, and how about complaints that we need different chairs because the gun pokes us on our sides making it difficult to dispatch, etc, etc....

I bet if you ask Joe Citizen where their local dispatch center is, they wouldn't have a clue. So why would we need to worry about terrorists? Yes, I know, Osama bin Laden is just waiting around the corner to take out your Comm.Center!

I really think that the original poster meant well, but that they are not thinking clearly, really, if you want to carry, become a law officer, then you can protect the Comm. Center from terrorists! :roll:

07-07-2007, 10:40 PM
Sorry, but this idea is stupid. I am a dispatcher and would be afraid of being shot by some of my less than stable co-workers. Everybody here is right, if you wanna have a gun outside of work that's great. Wanna work with guns go to the academy but otherwise keep 'em away from dispatch. And if you're really that scared of "terrorist activity" or "riots" then lock the door and get on the radio and do your job to protect your self!!!

07-08-2007, 12:55 PM
:lol:

ANYONE HAVE A FRIEND BUTTON!!! HAHAHAHA!!!! GUNS IN THE CENTER, THAT IS A JOKE!!!!

07-11-2007, 12:53 AM
This poster (Armed and Dangerous) reeks of a wanna be officer that is stuck as a dispatcher...Second of all, whats with the "Empower us as women"..You need a gun to feel empowered?...Then suck it up and go to the police academy

07-11-2007, 01:16 AM
I was thinking we could arm them with water guns, but then I realized that some of them would probably fill the with bleach or something and shoot the other dispatchers.

07-12-2007, 12:47 AM
I believe that dispatchers should be given the option to be trained and certified to carry handguns, at least while working. This is a major concern for most dispatchers and as a dispatcher for over 7 years, I think I can safely speak for most of us. Allowing us to work armed would not only empower us as women but would allow us to assist if our police stations were ever attacked by terrorists. Further the Dispatch Supervisors could be issued long-guns and we could check our firearms in and out before each shift. IT ONLY MAKES SENSE.[i]Change your name to DIS-armed and dangerous 'cause the idea is just plain stupid and will never happen.

10-04-2007, 03:26 AM

This is hilarious. I am a dispatcher and by no means should we be armed. First of all, I highly doubt they will call dispatcher/calltaker to defend the station in case that "terrorists" or an invasion of killer bees would attack.

It sounds like you are a gung-ho cop wanna be that possibly got rejected, let me rephrase, excluded from the hiring process and still need to find an excuse to carry a weapon. (this scares me and it should scare your co-workers), because you are a bomb waiting to explode.

PS: im sure you will be fired if you desert your post to fight the martians coming to take over the station.

10-06-2007, 05:26 PM
When has a terrorist EVER targeted a police department dispatch center? BWA HA HA HA!! Give me a break! There are enough cops to deal with it, if it ever were to happen.

Last thing you paranoid types need is a gun.

11-19-2007, 01:46 PM
Can't they just call the hood and their thug drug dealing friends to respond?

11-19-2007, 02:00 PM
i am a dispatcher and have been for awhile, probably could shoot better than some of the units i know, but THIS IS ONE OF WORST IDEAS I HAVE EVER HEARD OF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME??????????? THERE IS NO WAY I WOULD WANT TO SIT IN A ROOM FULL OF SOME OF MY CO WORKERS KNOWING THEY ARE CARRYING WEAPONS!!!!!!!!!!!! there is no psych test anymore, no freaking way! especially without getting hazard pay!

12-03-2007, 08:25 AM
Are you freaking kidding me

12-03-2007, 08:27 AM
[quote="Armed and Dangerous"]Unbelievable...some of you just don't get it. I never said that we would be police officers or SWAT members. I love being a dispatcher. But I still think, like many fellow Dispatchers who have come forward in support, that we should be issued firearms, IN CASE we are called upon to act. We would only use are guns in extreme emergencies such as attacks on the department by terrorist groups or as extra firepower during natural disasters / riot situations. I would be happy if I never needed to fire my handgun or shoot a terrorist but if it comes to that, I will be ready, along with other smart minded Dispatchers. And please stop with the hate comments. I am just giving my comman sence suggestions on behalf of concerned proffesionals.[/quote
go ahead bring it in the building. its only a 3rd degree felony

12-03-2007, 08:29 AM
Oh yea thats a great idea let a dispatcher carry a firearm, right along with arming a two year old. Awesome, with no training, no real world experience your going to back me up. Or run like hell in the opposite direction. Or maybe you'll be a renegade vigilant type who thinks their a police officer like that female in Palm Beach County did. Listen to all the dispatchers your not mature enough, you don't have the training, experience or fortitude to handle a situation which would call for real world solutions. God be with you Mister, Miss, or if you prefer Mrs, and I catch you with a firearm in your possession without a concealed weapon permit. Or better yet if I catch you playing Police person, I will arrest you!! Bottom line, no courtesy, no reasoning, no crying, no who you no BS. You are going to jail.

Even if you have a permit it is still a felony. law enforcements are not allowed

12-19-2007, 04:05 AM
Are you freaking kidding me

They should all immediately be issued thos caulking guns that are sold at Home Depot. Fill them with Boston Creme, that way if an active shooter should breach the comm center, the on duty radio operators could smother them with their cellulite! :lol:

05-04-2008, 03:49 PM

Some of us have permits, more training than you, have the fortitude (proven under fire), and have NO desire to be police officers.

I carry every day, and practice regularly unlike to majority of LEO's I know. Do I want to be an LEO? Nope, too old to play those games, but I don't want to arm my fellow dispatchers either, at least not at work.

I also don't think terrorists are going to attack my communications center.

I don't pretend to be an LEO. I don't flash my badge at people in traffic. I don't get free meals at Perkins, either. But, should I be driving along and see you on a traffic stop, and fighting with a socially disadvantaged or misguided soul, I would back you up.....would that upset you?

05-13-2008, 04:02 PM

Are you kidding me? WHy do you feel like you need to shoot a threat over the phone, if you want to carry a gun so bad, join the reserves or get a conceal weapon permit.

05-23-2008, 02:25 AM

I'm not signing in on purpose so I can speak freely here.

Hell, the agency I worked at wouldn't even let me bring my own weapon on premise (in my purse WITH my concealed permit). Why would I want it with me you joke? Well let's see...

There was the night my squad arrested an armed dirtbag doing a burglary on an occupied residence, and of course he had outstanding warrants. (When don't they?) I was working 18:00-06:00 alone (typical), and the arresting officer put dirtbag in a freaking interview room instead of the holding cells!

So, I'm pretty used to the late night noises of an old station. I start hearing noises that are just not right. Dirtbad had stacked chairs then torn the ceiling tiles out of the interview room and was proceeding to crawl through the overhead crawlspace that goes right over dispatch.

Now isn't that special!? (Said in my best Dana Carvey Church Lady voice)

He could have easily landed in my lap deciding on where he was going to choose to punch through. In that situation I'd rather be armed with something a little heftier than the freaking coffee maker...ya think?

I grabbed the phone and intercommed back to the squad room..signal 6! (Escapee) Yes it happened. I still have the photos I took of what was left of that interview room. I forgot to shoot a pic of the egg on you know who's face.

All I'm saying is...not all dispatch positions are as streamlined and advanced as some of you have. Not all agencies have modern buildings and all the toys. In some places you freakin' fend for yourself.

05-23-2008, 01:42 PM
Those fend for yourself places should have atleast one armed P.O.
in the command center at all times. Most places do now a days. That is good common since. Also takes out a lot of liability and some stress off the dispatcher. Dispatching is no doubt a very stressful job. I was one and moved on to P.O. and worked k-9 and now retired and happy. Your dept. needs a change if you all feel unsafe in your own building. Look into it! Fraternally

06-08-2008, 12:23 AM
Throw twinkies at them...

06-09-2008, 03:23 AM
I will play devil's advocate on this one. You say that dispatcher's should be armed with guns. What is the reason behind that ? I don't know where you are dispatching from but we are supposed to be in a secure area of the Police Department. Away from the general public. Who do you think is going to get at us ? Arming dispatcher's would be nothing less than stupid. I don't know where you work but I would feel terrified knowing that one or more of my co-workers were armed. God forbid I have to ask the questions that they should have asked and they cop an attitude at me and fire off a couple of rounds at me. Not that I am worried about if any of them could hit me but just think about what a bullet could do to a CAD system. How would you explain that one to IAD ! With that being said, I do think that there should be somebody in the building armed at all times. Take a look at the recent events in Plantation. An armed person chasing his girlfriend and shoots her in the parking lot of the Police Department. I doubt having an armed dispatch center would have made any difference to it, but still the days of a Police Department being a safe haven are gone. We are more like an Outpost in the wild. Surrounded by hordes of people that are willing to kill. Arm the dispatchers HELL NO ! Keep the guns in the hands of those that are trained to use them, the officers. We keep them safe and they will keep us safe.

07-06-2008, 02:43 AM
Those fend for yourself places should have atleast one armed P.O. in the command center at all times.

Well they don't, and knowing the place I left they never will. They could care less about the safety of their non-sworn. It's a moot point now anyhow, as the gal that filled my slot sleeps on duty most of the time. Ay carumba mi hermana! (People do talk...)

Unregistered
11-03-2016, 03:55 PM
1st off... I've read a lot of the replies to this subject and could not agree with thinking that this is not a good idea.... There are a lot of dispatchers that are qualified to carry and are trained to shoot... I'm with the Massachusetts State Police and I'm a dispatcher. I see nothing wrong with carrying at work and I carrying outside the work place, anyhow. Whats the difference? My feelings are you have a LTC/Concealed Weapon Carry Permit, then I see nothing wrong with the Dispatchers carrying, lawfully. However, if you can not qualify for a gun permit then you should not be in the position of being a dispatcher.
The notion of a dispatcher going "postal" is not different than that same person going "postal" anywhere!

Unregistered
08-25-2020, 01:50 AM
Dispatchers work in an enclosed office with lots of stress. I have seen a lot of quarrels between dispatchers some get really hot and we have to separate them. Imagine having them carry guns? OMG there will be a shoot out. Bang bang bang shots fired! Where? Inside communications center!

Unregistered
08-25-2020, 01:53 AM
This makes as much sense as teachers carrying guns. But if you want this to happen, tell one of them dumb ass politicians who voted fo pass that armed teacher law maybe they will make it a law.