PDA

View Full Version : Diversity training

eiger
06-21-2007, 07:26 PM
I recently had the "opportunity" to attend diversity training. To be honest, I would really rather have a tooth pulled. There was nothing diverse about it. Unless of course you like to learn black street slang. Which fell in smoothly with the corriculum of the day. Many discussions and videos later convinced me that the white man is evil, and needs to apologize. It was eight plus hours of the black man pitted against the world, or so it eemed. Yes, this country has made mistakes..hello. But it is dis-heartening when a few still have the mentality of this country still owing minorities something. One individual was asked if he was an American, or an African. He replied with he was an African with American heritage, when challenged on the reply, he became upset, and was fervent about his social status. I mean, thats fine. So, sports fans, political correctness is alive and well. If he, being a government recognized, minority, is entitled to "entitlements", then where are mine? (not that I would take them) Afterall, I am a minority from Europe..... ohhhhhhh, izzit the skin color that entitles you? Gee, i thought that piece of paper said we are all equal...hmmm.. LBJ's great society of 1964 is pretty much moot. Send me back to my Homeland, cuz my great grandfather came into Ellis Island. I'll be glad to go.

06-21-2007, 08:17 PM
Actually diversity training should go under the joke section, don't ya think? Your right, that is all it is, learing the black street slang, I personally get offended with it all. What happened to them was many years ago, they need to GET OVER IT. :lol: White people are the minority these days, where is our class?????? Sorry but I don't owe anyone anything!

06-26-2007, 03:09 AM
I am a black deputy with the sheriff's office, and of course i believe that no one owe me or us as a race anything. But I don't agree with someone saying that everything that has happened to my ancesters should be forgotten.

If we can continue to celebrate, for example Thanksgiving, or the fourth of July, we should not just forget about another part of history in this country which is black history.

I think human diversity should be tweaked a little, but for the most part from what i've witnessed in this agency, its a few deputies that don't particularly feel comfortable around someone of another decent, for the fear of saying something out of line.

I think that we should as an agency have more DIVERSITY training. Its needed because we all can stand to know a little more about each other and our surroundings.

06-26-2007, 03:18 PM
What would you say if we had White History month? Or had colleges for whites only? Or had details that only whites were asked to work?
Everyone is racist to an extent, whether we admit it or not.

06-26-2007, 04:41 PM
I dont honestly care what race you are. I dont care if your black, white, hispanic, or whatever. All I care about is the job that you do in helping your sector partners and the community. All I want is you to do your job as best as you can and be my backup if I need you to be.

As for 6070, no one has said that we should erase youre ethnic reasoning for being in this country. What we ALL should learn is from history's mistakes and move on to correct it in the future. And yes, as for diversity training, they make it sound as if the white people owe the black race something. I have been to quite a few and its never change. I dont think you have been around here long enough to take a human diversity training class yet so until you take the class, please, dont tell us how the class is taught.

However, for some nationalities, they will use race as a way to get something for nothing. They think they should be paid for what their ancestors went through, not them. Interest doesnt work that way. We havent had slavery in many years and when the slaves were freed in this country, many stayed with their owners on their own free will.

If we all remember, the white people, pushed the true native americans away from their lands but you never hear much about that rift in the people . The white people went to Africa because they needed work done in this new country they took over and needed help so they traveled to Africa in search for help.

The overpowering black tribes captured the less powerful black tribes and sold them to the white people who then slaved them in this country for work that needed to be done. For the slaves in Africa that couldnt be sold to the white people, were killed. That is in every history book but unfortunately it is not taught in our school system because it would upset many people.

I am very proud of my heritage as anyone else should be. I'm proud of my ancestors for coming to this country, a melting pot, and starting over. They learned English, learned a new culture on top of keeping their own. And no, I am not white, I'm hispanic.

I do not get mad at anyone coming to this wonderful country and trying to make a better life for themselves and their families. All I ask is that they learn english and pay taxes. Anyone illegal needs to go back or register with this country. I have visited many countries, this country is too busy trying to be politically correct for everyone. It doesnt work that way. Anyone been to a different country outside of U.S. customs, will tell you, you adapt to their ways and cultures or youll get in trouble, arrested, or taken advantage of.

As for 6070 again, I'm glad youre a deputy and if you dont use the race card to better favor you, thats more respect I have for you. HOWEVER< there are quite a few number of your counter parts that do use the race card for this job. please inform them, we all wear green, this job has NOTHING to do with nationality or race. It has to do with serving the community we took an oath to protect.

eiger
06-26-2007, 06:44 PM
I very deeply agree that political correctness maybe the death of us all. I have the opportunity to visit the land of my ancestors and let me tell you I felt very much at home. I tried my best to learn the language only to find they speak better english then alot of people i know. Perhaps I am being overcritical here, but the program presented to us made the 'white man' look evil. I dunno, maybe i am wrong.

06-26-2007, 07:50 PM
AS FOR THE THE PEOPLE WHO WOULD HIDE BEHIND "GUEST" AND JUST SAY WHAT THEY WILL. FOR ONE I HAVE BEEN AROUND THE LAW ENFORCEMENT ARENA FOR ABOUT 10 YEARS. I WORKED AT TWO PRIOR SHERIFF OFFICES (LEON & GADSDEN COUNTY), SO I HAVE SEEN MY SHARE OF HUMAN DIVERISITY CLASSES.

2ND'LY I SAID THAT THE DIVERSITY TRAINING NEEDED TO BE TWEAKED. I AGREE THAT NOT ALL DIVESITY CLASSES ARE EQUAL TO ALL RACES OR GENDERS FOR THAT MATTER, BUT IT STILL DOES NOT ERASE THE FACT THAT WHAT SOME OF YOU ARE SIMPLY SAYING IS THAT BLACK HISTORY IN THIS COUNTRY DON'T MATTER.

MAYBE YOU ARE NOT DOING IT AND IS NOT SEEING IT BUT, THERE IS A LOT OF RACISM GOING ON IN THIS COUNTRY. THE DIVERSITY CLASS IS IN PLACE TO TEACH EACH ONE OF US HOW TO INTERACT WITH ONE ANOTHER, THIS SAD BECAUSE WE SHOULD ALREADY KNOW HOW TO INTERACT AND TREAT ONE ANOTHER.

I AGREE THAT THERE IS A LOT OF REVERSE RACISM AND I BELIEVE THAT IT SHOULD ALL STOP. IF YOU ASK ANYONE THAT HAS SPOKEN TO ME, KNOW ME OR HAVE WORKED WITH ME IN THE PAST, NO ONE CAN SAY THAT I TREAT ANYONE ANY DIFFERENT BECAUSE OF THEIR SKIN COLOR, RELIGION, OR GENDER; BECAUSE I BELIEVE THAT WE ARE ALL IN THIS THING TOGETHER AND WE SHOULD HAVE ONE COMMON GOAL AS A TEAM, AND THAT IS TO LOVE ONE ANOTHER.

LETS STOP BEING SEPARATE, EVEN IN THIS DEPARTMENT. THE ATTITUDE OF SOME ROAD DEPUTIES IS THAT THEY ARE BETTER THAN THE DETENTION DEPUTIES, THAT IS DIVISION THERE!! I BELIEVE WE ALL CAN STAND TO CHANGE A LITTLE, SO LETS NOT KNOCK A CLASS OR ANY PROGRAM THAT WAS PUT IN TO PLAY TO BRING SOME KIND OF EQUALITY AND/OR INTERACTION

NOW I KNOW I PROBABLY WILL GET ALOT OF CRITICISM FOR THIS REPLY BUT, LET ME ASK ONE THING OF YOU... THAT IF YOU REPLY WITH ANY KIND OF RACIST REMARK OR ANY KIND OF NEGATIVE STATEMENT, PLEASE BE A MAN IF YOU'RE POSTING, OR A WOMEN IF YOU WILL, AND TELL US WHO YOU ARE.

06-27-2007, 08:20 AM
6070 ... I respect you and all races, no problem. I judge a man by his merits and his actions regardless of the color of his skin ... period.

But I'm curious ... would you care to learn of my four ancestors that fought in the Confederate infantry during the civil war? Two of them never made it home. They were simple farmers in northwest Georgia ... NOT slave owners! They simply fought to protect their homes from an invader.

People need to realize that only the very rich even had slaves. Just like today only the rich have all the perks. The vast majority of southerners, 95%, (and Delaware was a slave state, too) were NOT slave owners and were only working people themselves.

God bless and stay safe!

06-27-2007, 02:54 PM
6070 ... I respect you and all races, no problem. I judge a man by his merits and his actions regardless of the color of his skin ... period.

But I'm curious ... would you care to learn of my four ancestors that fought in the Confederate infantry during the civil war? Two of them never made it home. They were simple farmers in northwest Georgia ... NOT slave owners! They simply fought to protect their homes from an invader.

People need to realize that only the very rich even had slaves. Just like today only the rich have all the perks. The vast majority of southerners, 95%, (and Delaware was a slave state, too) were NOT slave owners and were only working people themselves.

God bless and stay safe!

YOU KNOW, I USE TO BE BLIND TO THE FACT AND THOUGHT THAT PEOPLE WHO FOUGHT IN THE CIVIL WAR WAS EITHER AGAINST SLAVERY OR FOR SLAVERY. I LATER DID MY RESEARCH AND FOUND THAT ALOT OF PEOPLE IN THE SOUTH WERE ONLY TRYING TO PROTECT THEIR LAND, PROPERTY AND WAY OF LIFE FROM THE GOVERNMENT.

THEN I SAW THE MOVIE "GOD'S AND GENERALS" AND UNDERSTOOD THE SITUATION EVEN MORE. I NOW UNDERSTAND WHY SOME PEOPLE WEAR THEIR CONFERDERATE APPEARAL AND I UNDERSTAND WHY OTHERS WERE THEIR CONFERDERATE APPEARAL ALSO.

IT DOESN'T BOTHER ME TO SEE IT, BUT IT DOES BOTHER ME WHEN SOMEONE USE IT FOR HATE FOR ANOTHER RACE, RELIGION, ETC. THATS THE REASON WHY I STATED THAT THEIR NEEDS TO BE MORE DIVERSITY TRAINING BECAUSE, NOT EVERY WILL DO RESEARCH TO LEARN ABOUT OTHER RACES OR CULTURES, AND LEARN WHAT IS OFFENSIVE AND WHAT IS NOT.

ME, I'M OPEN TO DISCUSS MY DISLIKES ABOUT ANYTHING AND MY IGNORACE ABOUT OTHER THINGS, THATS WHY I ASK QUESTIONS. I KNOW THAT THEIR IS A GREAT DIVIDE HERE, BUT WHO'S TO SAY THAT WE CAN'T BRIDGE THAT GAP.... I BELIEVE UNTIL WE ALL BEGAN TO UNDERSTAND ONE ANOTHER, THEIR WILL ALWAYS BE DIVISION IN THIS DEPARTMENT AND IN THE U.S.A.

WE ALSO NEED TO LOSE THE MIND SET THAT ONE RACE OF PEOPLE IS BETTER THAN THE OTHER, WE ALL NEED ONE ANOTHER. WE CAN CONQUER OTHER NATIONS, WE CAN BUILD NATIONS, BUT WE CAN'T RID RACISM, SIMPLY BECAUSE WE REFUSE TO LEARN ABOUT ONE ANOTHER. ITS VERY SAD!!

06-27-2007, 07:27 PM
6070, you're an impressive fellow. I'm a white southerner and grew up in a time and place when everybody used the N word. So did I. I still say it now and then but am trying to quit, but I at least use it equally whether the subject is white or black or purple.

If everybody had your attitude the world would be a much better place. I urge you to keep it up and try and spread your attitude. It takes a long time for things to evolve, but look how far we've come in the past 40 years or so. It may take a few more decades, but I think we're truly on our way to a color-blind society. I hope we're still alive to see it.

06-28-2007, 08:15 AM
6070 .... I appreciate what you said. And I assure you that when I see the Confederate battle flag used by stupid ignorant hate groups I too get very offended. My ancestors left their homes and families and fought and died for that flag, not to preserve slavery but to defend their homes, and when it is improperly used by idiots it angers me very much. There is so much people need to learn about their history, all people, and then maybe we'd get along a little better these days. I know black history and it equally angers me today when I see worthless black people wasting the opportunities their ancestors struggled and fought to give them today. But I can easily say that I have no use for the worthless filthy white people as well. Like I said I judge a man by his merits and actions and not by the color of his skin.

You mentioned watching the movie Gods and Generals. Have you seen "Glory"? If not go rent it right away!

06-28-2007, 03:28 PM
TO POLKSTER AND GUEST, THANKS FOR YOUR HONESTY AND YOUR COMPLIMENTS. YES, I HAVE SEEN "GLORY", YES IT IS A GREAT MOVIE ALSO. ONE THING ABOUT ME IS THAT I LOVE HISTORY, AND WHEN I RESEARCH HISTORY, I DO IT WITH AN OPEN MIND, NOT TO POINT FINGERS AT ANYONE, BUT TO UNDERSTAND THE REASONING BEHIND THEIR ACTIONS.

EVERYONE HAS A REASON WHETHER ITS GOOD OR BAD, EVIL OR RIGHTEOUS...EVERYONE HAS A REASON. BELIEVE IT OR NOT I HAVE A CONFEDERATE HERO AND HIS NAME WAS THOMAS "STONEWALL" JACKSON. HIS TREATMENT OF SLAVES WERE FAIR, HE TAUGHT SOME SLAVES TO READ REGARDLESS OF THE LAW AT THAT TIME, AND MOST OF ALL HE WAS A MAN OF GOD. HE WAS VERY, VERY POPULAR AMONG THE SLAVES AND THEY LOVED HIM

06-29-2007, 11:13 AM
6070 ... that is outstanding! I am impressed. Thomas J "Stonewall" Jackson taught a black sunday school class in Lexington, Virginia, years BEFORE the civil war ever started while he was a professor at VMI. He was a man of God, indeed! He never owned slaves. He grew up an orphan on his uncle's (West) Virginia farm ... a poor southerner ... who struggled and excelled in school to get to where he was. Likewise, Robert E Lee never owned a slave. He was a career military man. He inherited the Arlington slaves from his father in law after he died and promptly set out to free them as soon as possible. Many, many of the south's military leaders during the civil war never owned a slave and many of them thought the practice an evil one NOT beneficial to the southern cause (which, of course, is very true).

I applaud your efforts to learn REAL history, sir!

06-29-2007, 02:43 PM

God bless and stay safe!

YOU KNOW, I USE TO BE BLIND TO THE FACT AND THOUGHT THAT PEOPLE WHO FOUGHT IN THE CIVIL WAR WAS EITHER AGAINST SLAVERY OR FOR SLAVERY. I LATER DID MY RESEARCH AND FOUND THAT ALOT OF PEOPLE IN THE SOUTH WERE ONLY TRYING TO PROTECT THEIR LAND, PROPERTY AND WAY OF LIFE FROM THE GOVERNMENT.

THEN I SAW THE MOVIE "GOD'S AND GENERALS" AND UNDERSTOOD THE SITUATION EVEN MORE. I NOW UNDERSTAND WHY SOME PEOPLE WEAR THEIR CONFERDERATE APPEARAL AND I UNDERSTAND WHY OTHERS WERE THEIR CONFERDERATE APPEARAL ALSO.

IT DOESN'T BOTHER ME TO SEE IT, BUT IT DOES BOTHER ME WHEN SOMEONE USE IT FOR HATE FOR ANOTHER RACE, RELIGION, ETC. THATS THE REASON WHY I STATED THAT THEIR NEEDS TO BE MORE DIVERSITY TRAINING BECAUSE, NOT EVERY WILL DO RESEARCH TO LEARN ABOUT OTHER RACES OR CULTURES, AND LEARN WHAT IS OFFENSIVE AND WHAT IS NOT.

ME, I'M OPEN TO DISCUSS MY DISLIKES ABOUT ANYTHING AND MY IGNORACE ABOUT OTHER THINGS, THATS WHY I ASK QUESTIONS. I KNOW THAT THEIR IS A GREAT DIVIDE HERE, BUT WHO'S TO SAY THAT WE CAN'T BRIDGE THAT GAP.... I BELIEVE UNTIL WE ALL BEGAN TO UNDERSTAND ONE ANOTHER, THEIR WILL ALWAYS BE DIVISION IN THIS DEPARTMENT AND IN THE U.S.A.

WE ALSO NEED TO LOSE THE MIND SET THAT ONE RACE OF PEOPLE IS BETTER THAN THE OTHER, WE ALL NEED ONE ANOTHER. WE CAN CONQUER OTHER NATIONS, WE CAN BUILD NATIONS, BUT WE CAN'T RID RACISM, SIMPLY BECAUSE WE REFUSE TO LEARN ABOUT ONE ANOTHER. ITS VERY SAD!!

I am also a afro american male currently employed with Tampa police department. I have been in law enforcement for approx. 16 years. I worked for two other agencies as well. But let me share this with you, no matter how you feel about it, racism is here and will be here until the day we die. It was here before us and will be here well after we are gone. No matter how you try to justify it, racism in law enforcement still exist. The diversity classes is nothing more then the state covering themselves, so when that white deputy goes out and call that black criminal a ****** the agency is covered by the class. We can't change what a person feels in there heart or how they was raised. Because as you should know, some of your own race will back stab you quicker then anybody else. My years in law enforcement taught me some valuable lessons. I don't have friends on the job, I wont hangout with no officer off duty. I also keep away from the clicks in the department and the negative stuff. I love being a cop always have however, until a person quickly learns to come to work and do what is asked of them and keep there mouth shut he won't last in this field.

:D

06-29-2007, 04:10 PM
TO THE TAMPA P.D. OFFICER, SIR I AGREE THAT RACISM IS IN LAW ENFORCEMENT, BUT I DON'T AGREE WITH YOU WHEN YOU SAY IT WILL NEVER CEASE. IF MLK HAD THAT ATTITUDE, WE WILL STILL BE USING SEPARATE RESTROOMS AND DRINKING FOUNTAINS.

MAYBE THE STATE IS USING THE DIVERSITY CLASS FOR PROTECTION AGAINST A LAW SUIT. BUT LET ME ASK YOU THIS; DOES IT HAS TO BE? I STAND BEHIND THE DIVERSITY CLASS EVEN IF PEOPLE FEEL LIKE IT IS A JOKE. I BELIEVE THAT IF WE PUT THE PRESSURE BACK ON THE AGENCIES AND THE ONE THATS TEACHING THE CLASS TO MAKE IT MORE SERIOUS AND NOT MAKE IT LOP SIDE, THEN I BELIEVE THAT THERE WILL BE CHANGE AND IT WILL BECOME EFFECTIVE IN DOING WHAT IT WAS PUT IN PLACE TO DO.

IF EVERYONE WILL HOLD EVERYONE RESPONSIBLE FOR SAYING THE N-WORD, THERE WILL BE CHANGE. IF A WHITE OFFICER HEAR ANOTHER WHITE OFFICER OR A BLACK OFFICER HEAR ANOTHER BLACK OFFICER, VICE VERSA CALL ANYONE THE N-WORD, WHEATHER THE PERSON THATS BEING CALLED THE N-WORD IS WHITE, BLACK, HISPANIC, ETC., IF THEY WILL CHECK THEM ON IT AND EVERYONE STICKS TO THAT CODE, I BELIEVE THAT WITHOUT A SHADOW OF A DOUBT IT WILL BE CHANGE, EVEN IN OUR TIME.

YOU ARE RIGHT, WE CAN NOT CHANGE THE WAY A PERSON WAS RAISED OR WHAT THEY BELIEVE IN THEIR HEART, BUT WE CAN LET THEM KNOW THAT "HATE" IS UNACCEPTABLE!! EVERYONE ON THE JOB IS NOT TRUSTWORTHY, BUT CHANGE FIRST START AT HOME.

BEFORE ANYONE THINK THAT I LIVE IN A FAIRYTALE WORLD WHERE I BELIEVE THAT THERE WILL BE CHANGE, LET ME ASK YOU THIS, WHY DO YOU PRAY AND/OR WHY DO YOU GO TO CHURCH OR TO YOUR TEMPLE?

06-29-2007, 06:50 PM
I AGREE THAT THERE IS A LOT OF REVERSE RACISM AND I BELIEVE THAT IT SHOULD ALL STOP.

there's no such thing as REVERSE RACISM. It's racism period, no matter what race is being targeted.

06-29-2007, 07:09 PM
6070, you're a level-headed, wise dude. You'll go far. I hope we keep seeing you here.

06-30-2007, 06:29 AM
are you kidding me?

6070, racism is constant an unending. it will always be present, whether it is white\black,black\haitian,white\hispanic,haitian\j amaican,etc. people hate other people. it is what we do. we are raised up to dislike some group,somewhere and it stays with you. eight hours of handholding every four years won't change that. its like forcing someone into rehab,unless you really want to change its a waste of time. look over to europe and it gets really complicated. most everyone is "white" over there and they still hate each other. they just find other reasons. hate is natural, it binds us against a common foe. even if the reason is poor.

we all associate with our own. whether its our shift partners at training,our own little specialty groups, or just by sex. its normal.

our agency operates on race,not equality. as for your ten years elsewhere, i can't comment. i assume those were in detention because you don't operate like seasoned road deputy. you point out the divison between detention\patrol as well. further evidence that its human nature to assume your group,whatever it may be,is superior.

i get fustrated by this topic. if you are black and your family was here for slavery,then you're an american. after 5 generations you are not an african anymore. if your family wasn't a part of it,then don't bring it up.

i am from immigrant grandparents. they were not alive in slave times and no ancestor of mine owned a slave in america or abroad. i owe blacks nothing. depending how far back you go, most groups were slaves to another at some point(feudal europe,china,ancient egypt). they made their way and struggled for a better life. that's what we all should do. its been 150 years, let's move on.

all groups hate. 6070, i'm sure there's a group you don't moving in next to you. MLK had a dream, but that's all it will ever be. there will always be a minority(looks to be whites soon) and they will suffer at the hands of the majority. what good is being the majority if you don't flex it.

i'm an american,plain and simple, no hyphens needed.

06-30-2007, 08:11 AM
are you kidding me?

6070, racism is constant an unending. it will always be present, whether it is white\black,black\haitian,white\hispanic,haitian\j amaican,etc. people hate other people. it is what we do. we are raised up to dislike some group,somewhere and it stays with you. eight hours of handholding every four years won't change that. its like forcing someone into rehab,unless you really want to change its a waste of time. look over to europe and it gets really complicated. most everyone is "white" over there and they still hate each other. they just find other reasons. hate is natural, it binds us against a common foe. even if the reason is poor.

we all associate with our own. whether its our shift partners at training,our own little specialty groups, or just by sex. its normal.

our agency operates on race,not equality. as for your ten years elsewhere, i can't comment. i assume those were in detention because you don't operate like seasoned road deputy. you point out the divison between detention\patrol as well. further evidence that its human nature to assume your group,whatever it may be,is superior.

i get fustrated by this topic. if you are black and your family was here for slavery,then you're an american. after 5 generations you are not an african anymore. if your family wasn't a part of it,then don't bring it up.

i am from immigrant grandparents. they were not alive in slave times and no ancestor of mine owned a slave in america or abroad. i owe blacks nothing. depending how far back you go, most groups were slaves to another at some point(feudal europe,china,ancient egypt). they made their way and struggled for a better life. that's what we all should do. its been 150 years, let's move on.

all groups hate. 6070, i'm sure there's a group you don't moving in next to you. MLK had a dream, but that's all it will ever be. there will always be a minority(looks to be whites soon) and they will suffer at the hands of the majority. what good is being the majority if you don't flex it.

i'm an american,plain and simple, no hyphens needed.

THIS IS PEPPERED WITH HATE, DISRESPECT, UNBELIEF, AND IGNORANCE.

I WOULD RESPOND BUT I DON'T HAVE TO, AND I TOLD YOU IF YOU HAD ANYTHING NEGATIVE TO SAY WHY NOT BE A MAN OR A WOMAN AND IDENTIFY YOURSELF. IS IT THAT YOU ARE AFRAID OTHERS MAY DISAGREE WITH YOU AND YOU WON'T KNOW HOW TO RESPOND?