PDA

View Full Version : Negotiations

06-20-2007, 01:49 AM
How did it go today?

06-20-2007, 09:51 PM
Explain to me why certain non PBA members are at the meeting. Listen, if you ain't gonna pay your dues, dont show up to the meetings and act like you are interested. We dont need your input !!! So either join or go about your business.

06-21-2007, 12:26 AM
How did it go? Crap, that how! Why did PBA propose a step plan that nobody saw? Because it SUCKED, thats why! Why does it lowball our salary so much? $36000 to start? Come on!

I guess the TPD PBA leadership thinks we are second rate. No, make that third rate.

Anyone for FOP?

06-21-2007, 12:28 AM
Explain to me why certain non PBA members are at the meeting. Listen, if you ain't gonna pay your dues, dont show up to the meetings and act like you are interested. We dont need your input !!! So either join or go about your business.

Look at who the people were. That will answer your your question right there.

06-21-2007, 03:43 AM

Look at who the people were. That will answer your your question right there.

As a dues paying PBA member who was there, I have no problem with the "show of force" that appeared in the seats behind and around our team. People were asked to show up and support the cause and people did. What kind of message would it show the University if it was an empty room with just our Reps and the PBA team.

Also, I did not at anytime hear, the University people ask how many non PBA members were in the room. It was a good turnout from the Department. If there were any non members there they should be asked to join ...if not , then I as a member, at least thank them for showing up and caring.

06-21-2007, 07:13 PM
How did it go? Crap, that how! Why did PBA propose a step plan that nobody saw? Because it SUCKED, thats why! Why does it lowball our salary so much? $36000 to start? Come on!

I guess the TPD PBA leadership thinks we are second rate. No, make that third rate.

Anyone for FOP?

very sad proposal on PBA part. should have had us view it first. sad.

06-21-2007, 07:46 PM

You don't have to be a member to show your support. I applaud everyone who was there, member or not.

06-22-2007, 03:27 AM
In the past the PBA never did anything for USF police. Johnson fought everything tooth and nail against the officers and was for the USF admin to save his yearly contract and save the Universtiy any money. Longo has fought tooth and nail for the officers, but still the PBA can't do anything for officers. Police is just not an important issue to the USF admin. , it is a back seat issue to research and sports. It never has been a priority and won't be in the future.

06-22-2007, 07:16 PM

WHY DONT YOU ASK THEM. AT LEAST THEY WERE THERE. MAYBE YOU SHOULD BE CONCERNED ABOUT THE PBA MEMBERS WHO WERE NOT THERE.

SOME PEOPLE CARE ABOUT THE PROCESS AND THEY HAD THE RIGHT TO SHOW UP IN THAT FORUM.

CRYBABIES LIKE YOU ARE ONE OF THE MAIN REASONS WE SPIN OUR WHEELS HERE MOST OF THE TIME. GROW UP!!!

06-23-2007, 03:35 AM
If you were at the last meeting and expected USF to walk in and say "OH yeah that pay raise looks great..here you go" you are sorely mistaken. This is why it's called a negotiation. This last meeting was just one of many that will take place, and we need to keep showing our support. I was at the meeting and watched Sandy (the head of the USF negotiation team) walk in, see the amount of officers, leave, and then send in a replacement. She can't hide forever so we need to keep up the support. By the way I am a PBA member and was happy to see non-memebers at the meeting. It was also quite interesting that USF wants to communicate with PBA through email or phone and were afraid to set the next meeting date. I mean PBA even offered to meet later that night if necessary.

USF needs to realize that UF has 90 sworn officers and FSU has 62 sworn officer and we only have 41 sworn officers (this week). And our on campus population is the same or more than either one of those campuses. They also need to know that we have had a 50% turnover in the past 4 years. No disrespect to the new officers (because I was there once) but I don't think the parents of this university want to hear this type of information. I heard that recently a reporter from a tv station was asking alot of questions and attempting to obtain emails between the chief , Dr. Meningall, and Geneshaft. I hope the reporter gets those emails and there is some damaging information against USF. I guess we will see, if it is ever put on the air.

Remember we need to stick together and make an even stronger showing at the next meeting. Also remember contract negotiations are done over a period of time, not overnight so please do not get discourage over one meeting.

06-23-2007, 09:20 AM
Well said senior officer.

I too was there and agree with all you said. Lets stay strong, not get discouraged. The main goal is at least being the first University police dept to get a step plan...we can negotiate a better percentage each negotiation. Lets at least get one first !!!

Stay strong,

06-23-2007, 03:24 PM
We've had a step plan in the past, and it was taken away due to budget restraints from Tallahassee. With all of the cutbacks taking place across Florida due to the property tax issues, its hard to stay optimistic. Agencies across Florida are having to cut services and personnel and reduce their operating budgets by millions of dollars. I'm not sure if these cutbacks will affect us, but the elderlly lady sitting at the PBA table did mention it. I hope we get a step plan, but I think the timing of these cutbacks is going to make pay raises difficult.

06-23-2007, 08:52 PM
I suggest that we wait for the response from USF on this pay plan. Remember it is only a three year deal if that is what we agree to. I think getting a step plan reinstated is important.

I too am disappointed in the low starting salary and the top end.

I am committed to this process. I've only spoken to Steph briefly since the negotiation. Email Steph your suggestions and support not just complaints.

Keep showing up to the negotiations!!!

flacop09
06-23-2007, 10:20 PM
Don?t let the university use the property tax issue. The tax cut should only affect the local and county government. Most of the state budget is from sale tax. What is the top end of the proposed step plan & how many steps to max out? I am at FIU trying to see where other universities are with negotiations. We start negotiations in July.

06-24-2007, 03:04 AM
The TPD - PBA pulled the wool over our eyes and screwed us all. We should have never agreed to such a low ball step plan !!! Actually we never did , they just presented it for us.

We need to agree on what we want to present before THEY decide to present it for us. BEWARE OF A WOLF IN SHEEPS CLOTHING !!!

06-25-2007, 01:15 PM
So true! TPD screwed us good.

Yes a step plan is important, but with numbers so low what do we do about people leaving for the next 3 years? By then the entire patrol division will be rookies! Thats right all 2 of them on each platoon! 3 years is a LONG time and we cant afford to lose our experienced officers for thousands more $$$ and take home cars!

Wake up PBA! Wake up USFPD!!!! Get active in YOUR union and PBA needs to realize that putting BS on the table isnt any more likley to get approved than something real. Leave TPD out of it and put a real plan on the table for Gods sake!

If we screw this up now we will lose for years and with all the vacant positions we will have WE will get drafted to work events all the time. We will have only ourselvs to blame!

06-26-2007, 04:48 AM
The show of LEO's present whether PBA members or not was a good sign to show the university how much these "negotiations" mean to them. The meeting was just step one.

The university's spokesperson couldn't even be a used car salesman. What a kiss @$$ he is for the university. He has only been with USF a few months. He was not in any position to make a deal.

Everything takes time.

Swope needs a shot of caffein or something if he is going to be there next time.

I think going in with only the pay package was a great tactic. It forces USF to have to look at salaries. Im sure thing will get taken care of or at least be brought out in the open.

The property tax comment was great. What an idiot.

Sorry, just rambling.

Be safe all.

06-28-2007, 12:25 AM
The purpose of paying monthly pba dues is to send a represenative into the negotiations for you, so they can do the negotiating. The show of support from non pba members is great, but look at the big picture. If usf approves a step plan, the entire department benefits from it, including non pba members. So they keep the cash every month, and watch everyone else pay. Meanwhile, they cheer on at the negotioations. PAY UP!

06-28-2007, 02:55 AM
Non PBA members:

so send them an e mail ....

06-28-2007, 04:41 AM
Past= PBA didn't do anything for USF PD
Now= Not doing much of anything

06-28-2007, 02:53 PM
You need to read the TPD Blogs and see what is happerning at the PBA you dues will now help pay for Kevin Durkin to retire as president and be hired by the same board that he ran, as the new exc. director or dictator.

thanks for your donation, keep your dues coming, and bring in some more sheep.

07-08-2007, 03:41 AM
We need to stay determined and hopeful to the very end. We all know USF will reject the step plan, and then it will go to aribitration and we can only hope that they see what a dump USF has dropped on us over the years. I have to at least give props to the Chief for taking on the fight unlike the two before him, Also props to Crookston for her hard work and effort. For those of you riding her ass, feel free to put your name in the ring for PBA rep. I am sure you also would love the thankless job she has taken on.

07-08-2007, 12:19 PM
The purpose of paying monthly pba dues is to send a represenative into the negotiations for you, so they can do the negotiating. The show of support from non pba members is great, but look at the big picture. If usf approves a step plan, the entire department benefits from it, including non pba members. So they keep the cash every month, and watch everyone else pay. Meanwhile, they cheer on at the negotioations. PAY UP!

Thats not the only purpose of being a member. As a member, you also receive a PBA appointed attorney free of charge in the event someone sues you for your actions or non actions as a police officer. You also receive PBA representation when your disciplined, or when the agency is looking to fire you. Trust me, you will want an attorney when your job is on the line. Also, as a member, your beneficiary will receive your pay for an entire year in the event you are killed on duty. This is a cheap life insurance policy when you think about it. Non members don't receive any of these benefits. Being a member is not just about negotiations for better pay. Thats just a small part of it. In case your wondering, I don't work for the PBA. I'm a member who pays his dues every two weeks.

07-16-2007, 11:16 AM
The property tax comment was great. What an idiot.

Sorry, just rambling.

Be safe all.[/quote]

The Legislature and Governor have instructed every state agency to reduce their budget by a minimum of 4% for 2007-08. Chancellor Mark Rosenberg has asked each university to prepare a plan for a 10% recurring reduction for 2007-08 and 2008-09. The Board of Governors has called an emergency meeting for July 10 to further discuss and identify system-wide options.

Tax cuts statewide are going to affect everybody, local and state. Many state agency's already have implemented hiring freezes. Next time get your facts straight before you come on this post and start rambling like an idiot.

07-17-2007, 01:40 AM
Thanks for the name-calling but I guess I participated in that also. I made a statement way before your posting and am willing to admit I was wrong. No big deal. I am not a lawmaker and or budget analyst. At the time I made my comment I didn?t see how ?property taxes? could affect a university?s budget. I still don?t see the correlation as property taxes are generally set aside for county stuff aren?t they? I find the whole state tax cut idea and then the fallout being educational cuts and community service industry cuts a reoccurring governmental plan to raise taxes in the long run. Who do the tax cuts really help in the grand scheme of things? Just my opinion.

However, I am really concerned about your anger about this situation and towards my comment. Is your anger really directed in an appropriate direction?

?Next time get your facts straight before you come on this post and start rambling like an idiot.?

That?s pretty harsh. There were no direct facts at the time I posted my comments and I did apologize for just rambling. I never claimed to have any fact. Your anonymity is similar to beer muscles I guess.

Wow! You seem pretty pissed off I guess. Sorry I made you feel this way.

07-17-2007, 02:51 AM
We hear lots of talk about what these tax cuts are going to do to State and County budgets. But I really question the lack of money thing they seem to be crying about when.....

The University President just got a raise. (and I'm sure that she's not the only administrator who is happy with her new pay scale)

They are building another multi million dollar garage (you would thing that with all the cries of global warming the "University Tree hugger" types would encourage public transportation and not ripping up more "greenspace" for another concrete blob).

The University finds the cash to put 15 foot high brick USF signs at each entrance complete with new electrical lighting. I would love to know how much all of that cost.

The money is there. We're just not a priority

07-17-2007, 06:09 AM
In an attempt to help cut $10 million from its budget, the University of South Florida has put a hiring freeze in place.

The university was ordered to slice at least four percent from its budget.

Sixty percent of the cuts must come from the school's academic programs and school administrators will spend the next three months trying to decide what stays and what goes.

Last month, Governor Charlie Crist imposed four percent cuts on all state agencies and has warned that cuts could reach as high as 10 percent. Cuts that high would force USF to do away with an additional $24 million.

In August, state leaders will examine the cuts when they review revenues.

In addition to a hiring freeze, USF ordered staff to reduce travel and has asked financial officers to find alternative ways to collect additional funds.

07-17-2007, 04:55 PM
Thanks for the name-calling but I guess I participated in that also. I made a statement way before your posting and am willing to admit I was wrong. No big deal. I am not a lawmaker and or budget analyst. At the time I made my comment I didn?t see how ?property taxes? could affect a university?s budget. I still don?t see the correlation as property taxes are generally set aside for county stuff aren?t they? I find the whole state tax cut idea and then the fallout being educational cuts and community service industry cuts a reoccurring governmental plan to raise taxes in the long run. Who do the tax cuts really help in the grand scheme of things? Just my opinion.

However, I am really concerned about your anger about this situation and towards my comment. Is your anger really directed in an appropriate direction?

?Next time get your facts straight before you come on this post and start rambling like an idiot.?

That?s pretty harsh. There were no direct facts at the time I posted my comments and I did apologize for just rambling. I never claimed to have any fact. Your anonymity is similar to beer muscles I guess.

Wow! You seem pretty pissed off I guess. Sorry I made you feel this way.

You anonymously call someone an idiot when you don't have any facts? Sounds like your anonymity is similiar to beer muscles as well.

07-18-2007, 05:12 AM
I give up. And there Percocet mucles, thank you very much!

07-18-2007, 11:01 PM

Hmmm, Percocet, a narcotic pain reliever. Did you recently have surgery? Are you on the LDRT by any chance?

07-18-2007, 11:48 PM
a narcotic pain reliever for pain..gggg...You should thank the Lord you're not on the LDRT, and if you do happen to get on the squad with a blown out knee, back, or something else, you better only take aspirin and drink your 12 pack beer!

07-19-2007, 02:02 AM
Eww... a "Narcotic", like you have never taken a prescribed pain pill. This isnt a DUI investigation! The guy was using percoset muscles instead of beer muscles, like most people that post on here! blah!

07-19-2007, 12:42 PM
Prescribed pain pills work better with beer than aspirins do!

07-19-2007, 12:49 PM

Hmmm, Percocet, a narcotic pain reliever. Did you recently have surgery? Are you on the LDRT by any chance?

Maybe a non ee mous isn't so anonymous anymore. Time for a new username.