PDA

View Full Version : Recruitors do it again

06-19-2007, 01:28 PM
I would just like to say Nice job SSO. We had two Michigan cops who came in experienced on the job and hold BS and MS degrees but our agencies directed them to St.Pete to get their Florida LEO certification first then come back and apply. Both these guys rode with SSO and VPD while they were here for a week. SSO basically told them hey great good for you call us when you get your certification (Florida) Well VPD fast tracked them after their ride along and they are now getting hired. Both of these guys were great prominent aspects as they both stated they wanted to be deputies but also like Venice city. Wayy to go as we lost to good possible employees because we were not intrested in fast tracking them or helping them with thier Florida Certs. We need to overhaul recuiting and have some sworn guys doing it modern ideas and the backing and support of staff. This is the first thing a new person sees and it is outdated and offers no real bite in there. Sorry but we gotta do something along with pay...

06-19-2007, 01:37 PM
Part of the problem is that the Sarasota police academy no longer does the two-week "Equivalency of Training Academy" (http://www.spjc.edu/ac/SEPSI/EOT.htm) for out-of-state officers. If the Sarasota police academy still had this special program to certify out-of-state officers, then we could hire them and have them certified locally in less than two weeks. This is a SSO departmental issue, as well as an academy issue. I think that "Equivalency Training" was dropped by the Sarasota academy because it's complicated e.g. it's hard to schedule just those needed classes in a two-week period.

Even if the Sarasota academy doesn't offer "Equivalency Training," we could still hire out-of-state officers and WE could send them up to St. Pete College for their certification. St. Pete College still offers it.

06-19-2007, 05:55 PM
I recenty talked to a recruiter. The person did not know anything about the position that I wanted to apply for (LEO), and could also not tell me who to talk to about getting a ride along. I have put in my application, but have not been able to get any informantion about a ride along still. Who should I talk to?

06-19-2007, 06:21 PM
Maybe we should have three different recruiters:

- One for civilians. Connie McElya will do fine for this position since she's already our SSO recruiter.

- One for law enforcement. Connie McElya is our "recruiting officer," but she isn't an officer. Never has been and never will be. She isn't able to answer hard hitting questions from applicants about what police work is like at SSO. We need a certified LEO in this position. How about one of our background investigators???? Or Steve Boone or John Cox??? Or someone who looks good and is knowledgable and motivated? Pay them an extra $1200 per year for the responsibility and as an incentive to represent us and to recruit others. They will be able to answer questions and return phone calls.

- One for corrections. Same thing here.

06-20-2007, 03:03 PM
I recenty talked to a recruiter. The person did not know anything about the position that I wanted to apply for (LEO), and could also not tell me who to talk to about getting a ride along. I have put in my application, but have not been able to get any informantion about a ride along still. Who should I talk to?

Hey call the District One LE Captain and ask for his secretary (941)861-5800. Theyu can hook you up. Or wherever you want to ride. district 1 is the North Sarasota . Its usually the most active if your young if your older try District 2 or 3. District 2 Siesta Key is nicer side of Sarasota. Good luck

06-20-2007, 03:11 PM
Maybe we should have three different recruiters:

- One for civilians. Connie McElya will do fine for this position since she's already our SSO recruiter.

- One for law enforcement. Connie McElya is our "recruiting officer," but she isn't an officer. Never has been and never will be. She isn't able to answer hard hitting questions from applicants about what police work is like at SSO. We need a certified LEO in this position. How about one of our background investigators???? Or Steve Boone or John Cox??? Or someone who looks good and is knowledgable and motivated? Pay them an extra $1200 per year for the responsibility and as an incentive to represent us and to recruit others. They will be able to answer questions and return phone calls.
Yeah we dont have welcome packets or anything,book bags, coffee cups,dvds with videos like swat,tac,ert,cp, moptors,surf,mounted,traffic,corrections, cert etc with music in there. Yeah Ive seen our website. It needs updating, Appllying online

Its just like the military thats new guys wants to see stuff to get them intrested and what we have just doesnt do it. Our recruitors dont hit Universities,military bases,community colleges, high school seniors or state fairs. They should be in Class A uniform with Campaign hats and DVD presentations on a flat screen 32 inch with music. with a welcome packet and etc

Give sign on bonuses for new hires and bonus for employees who refer people. Its not rocket science it just takes some fresh ideas

06-20-2007, 04:06 PM
"Or Steve Boone or John Cox??? Or someone who looks good and is knowledgable and motivated?"

Now that's funny the are both /// edited out by mod 418 \\\ when it comes to work

06-21-2007, 10:58 AM
The Sheriff sez he isn't hiring anymore , so we don't need either one of them to recruit!

06-21-2007, 03:14 PM
The Sheriff sez he isn't hiring anymore , so we don't need either one of them to recruit!

He said no such of thing. Quit stirring lies. We got enough issues

06-21-2007, 03:46 PM
WHAT?!?!?!?!!?