PDA

View Full Version : Rants and Raves

DevilDogg
06-18-2007, 05:20 PM
I've been gone for a little while and returned to see the "same old thing" being posted on here.

Retnuh wants change, Curios and Paradise are brothers, and guests still try to stir the pot.

Holy CRAP people! This is the second agency I've worked for and have to tell you, it is head and shoulders above the other one. Training, schools, equipment, (Except for vehicles) and basic support are far and above what is received at other agencies. Don has done quite a good job at keeping his people happy.

Now understand this, I am NOT a company man and hate the fact there is Cdr's and Capt's supervising no-one, getting a vehicle to carry their friends around in, and basically filling some made up void of supervision that requires none. Plus, all the "arm-band" up-and-comers are questionable in their leadership ability. Some of these guys look great on paper, but couldn't function if they were actually "in the mix". I will admit that there are one or two that are 10-08.

I have numerous friends at other agencies that are very jealous of what we have and what we do. However, at every agency where my freinds work, there is this type of in-fighting and perceived problems with the upper echelon. Same story, different agency.

The grass may not be green all the time, but this is the best damn pasture to be in right now. Just watch out for the "droppings" while you are here. I'm referring to the poison that tries to make it's way through our bloodstream even though most working here are trying to make it the best damn agency we can.

Whew! Stepping off my soap-box.

Paparazzi LEO
06-18-2007, 05:41 PM
I agree Dogg.

(Welcome Back)

DevilDogg
06-18-2007, 07:00 PM
Thanks Papa. I guess it all goes back to the old adage, you get out what you put in. As is the case with some of the anonymous guests on here. Poison in = Poison out!

We've all eaten the "shite" sammich, but it is up to you how much gets put on your plate.

I am waiting for another couple of responses, namely Curios, Paradise, VetRook, and Retnuh. I don't always agree with them, however, I welcome and respect their opinions.

BRING IT ON MAGGOTS! (JK!) :twisted:

Seriously, lets get some positive healthy debate started!

veteranrookie
06-18-2007, 07:59 PM
Well devildogg, I'll chime in since you invited it.

I couldn't agree more with your statement. In my last job, I was getting paid peanuts, and hoping not to get blown away by a fanatical muslim, so I'm da-mn sure not complaining about this "pasture."

This is my first civilian job and it's done nothing but keep me happy. Looking forward to many years spent right here.

I'm also glad to have found another "brotherhood" which has many similarities to what we had in the service.

Hope you all enjoyed your Father's Day, I know I did.

06-18-2007, 09:44 PM
sounds like a good middle ground...no stirring here.

06-18-2007, 11:43 PM
hi devildog. you make good points and you say themm well. i enjoy your comments and might agree ewith them more than you konow. this is not my only agency but i havebeen here the lonngest. yes i want change. i am not afraid ofchange and not afraid to help bring it about. that does not meen i want change just for the sake of change. this admin has run out of ideas its gripe on reality and time. as you said and as i have saed many times Hunter has done much good. time for change though, so long as it is change for the beter. cany anyone gauanetee this? nope. is it risky? hell yes. the benefits in my opinion if a good man can run for office fara outweigh the risks however.

when the dust settles and the voicees fall silent there is and hopefully always will be our brotherhood. we can disagree even with great passssion, but we must keep our faith. shurely, the admin is not keeping it.

06-19-2007, 12:18 AM
you guys should be laid off hahahahaha.

06-19-2007, 05:55 AM
I agree devil. Although there is always greener grass somewhere, CCSO has quite the playing field. I have worked in different agencies, different states, and there is no question CCSO has a solid spot within law enforcement. There are always issues everywhere you go, including CCSO, but overall this agency is great. Too bad the shop is not on board with the troops. I have a real issue with the way things are run there. Too bad the uppers don't put a stop to the civilian with the over sized head that has no idea what cops really need because he won't listen.

DevilDogg
06-19-2007, 03:08 PM
Thanks for the feedback.

VetRook, you said a mouthful about watching your arse while across the pond. Thankfully, the first one I was in was way less violent. Some people will never know how little we got paid for the HUGE sacrafice that was made. My hats off to ALL veterans.

1010, your da man brother, Given the experience you have in other states, I'm glad you appreciate what we have here.

Retnuh, I really don't agree we need a new Sheriff. We just need some of the "head-shed" political butt kissers to keep him in the loop. I think if these arse kissin' brown nosers would worry more about the goings on amongst the troops instead of trying to protect their position, and tell the Sheriff what the he!! was going on, you might notice a change in his "attention span" regarding the troops. BUT, since the "higher ups" want to hold onto their pristine decision/policy making cushy job, they seem to be afraid to tell the Sheriff anything except how great they are running things. I'm afraid they think if the Sheriff knew that the troops were not happy with the way things were being run, he would can them. (Figuratively speaking)

Curios and Paradise, I'm waiting brothers!

Paradise
06-19-2007, 06:50 PM
I have always respected your opinion. For the most part we are about 95% on the same page except I am told that I wear Rose Colored glasses.

This is also not my first agency to work for. I know for a fact how good it is here because I have experienced the very bad somewhere else! Don Hunter is a great Sheriff. Unfortunately, most will not realize this until after he retires.

The problem I often see is when the agency reaches a certain size; the Sheriff is unable to stay in touch with his troops. By this I mean meet and greet and hear what they are really saying. Because he is so busy he often relies on his Command Staff to make decisions and advise him of the important things, after all that is what they get paid to do.

Unfortunately, the Command Staff spends hours trying to second-guess how the Sheriff will feel about a particular subject or situation. In return they over react and err on the side of caution. Generally the little guys will do without and are left wondering why the Sheriff is the way that he is when in fact it was not him that made the decision.

If you read the Sheriff emails you will get a strong sense of his personality and the kind of person he is. This is why I say that for each person that is in your chain-of-command that is an additional Sheriff you work for. They all have their interpretation of who the Sheriff is and what he wants. Everyone then governs based on their personal belief and second guessing What Would Don Do (WWDD).

But this is how ALL Sheriff Offices operate in Florida. The first Sheriff I ever worked for knew this about the chain-of-command structure and would compensate for the human inadequacies of the structure. He would attend every roll call twice a year and would ask questions and listen to what we had to say. We were not afraid to speak because we knew he cared. In return, the little things that made our life better were taken care of by the Sheriff and our moral was not affected by the chain-of-command.

No need to blame or fault anyone because we would all react the same way if we wanted, in our hearts, to do a great job. It is only natural to over-react when making important decisions, especially when you do not want to let your boss down or fear getting a butt-chewing. On the other side of the coin we must also realize that sometimes we may want something but it just is not going to happen for whatever the reason… such is life.

As you say, you get out of it what you put into it so accept the facts and if a matter really bothers you, send the Sheriff or your chain-of-command an email or use their open door policy. Be a part of the solution and not part of the problem.

For the record: We do not need a new Sheriff or Command staff. We just need to communicate better.

06-20-2007, 02:09 AM
Paridise that was articulate and well spoken (ur not related to baracks obama are you? j/k).

it seems to me you do wear roze olored glasses. you cheerlead even in the face of the problematic. while this might bee considerred admirable in some circles (like the current administration) failuing to recognize or discuss possibilities and potentialities is a significant ommiission of your duty -- as a LEO and as a citizen.

the problems cited by me and others have veen here a long time, despite the size of the CCSO. it was the sheriff who dirirectly apppointed his command staff and so it is musch to his (dis)credit that that same stafff does what it does and does things how it does. captains and chirefs with some courage, persaonal and professional, and much less ambition, personal and professionall are needed, and now.

the sheriff has the image and reputation he has because it is hiss choiece. i know sheriff Hunter and his persona is well planned, dont be afooled to thinking otherwize. again, his fault.

your assssumpiontion thaqt this is how ALL s/o's in florida operate is just plain wrong adn ignorant -- no offense please, its not an inusult, check your websters for the deffinitions.

you illlustratte my point that Hunter is out of touchh wiht the CCSO. this is his fault and he has shown no regret or inclinnnation to change that reelationship. we need a sheriff who will.

i have used the open door and the chain of acommand. i know lots of others who hafe aslo. i can only remember serious ass chwewings and cover ups. open door and c o c --- haaaaaaaaaaa!

the sherifff and hithis admin have had a chance in fact have hasd planety of chances. it ist ime for them to GO. they have shown a lack of ability or desiere to do what needs to be done or to be creative on innovative in aqpproachinng our issuse as a angency or a community. they do not care they do not want to know they only know from the schoool books. they tooo are ignerant and too egotixtical to admit it and do right.

FOR the record: i will say agin that Hunter has (paste tense) done much good. imho we shure as hell do need a new sheriff and a command staff. this neeeds to be commmuicated to them soon, but a viable and capable candisate. god help us if we have to sufffer furtehr under Hunter and his crownies.

bye the way, all my bulletss know wheire they came from. now for a nitecapp and of to bde.

06-20-2007, 02:19 AM
i almost forgot. why did any of you give that idiot from whatever county it was any responxe? the one wheree he caleed us all a bucnh of rookies. you shoulld have just let his postt sit there unanswered and given alll of the attention it metrits. sommmmetimes its best to just not say anyting.

HA. i bet that last commment from me getas a few rewponses from some or the irregular regulars. :lol:

06-20-2007, 11:30 AM
I requested to use the open door policy with the Sheriff for a one-on-one meeting one time. I was suprised to discover the meeting was me, the Sheriff and his attorney - that's the last time I requested a personal meeting - too political!

Curios George
06-20-2007, 05:59 PM
Well I have also used the Sheriff’s Open Door Policy. It was just he and I and no attorney. I guess maybe he felt threatened by you for some reason? I had no problems, in fact, I was very surprised how much he cared about my situation and offered sound advice and support. It worked for me and I would use it again if needed.

As for retnuh, I am no longer reading anything with his name on it. It is taking me too long to decipher what he is writing or attempting to communicate. It is not worth my time anymore. His illiterate spelling serves no purpose, is embarrassing and a disgrace as an adult. I am glad he is supporting someone else because his lack of professionalism goes a long way to discredit his belief while strengthening mine.

06-20-2007, 07:09 PM
I like retnuh's writing, it is like a word jumble out of the Naples Daily Gnaws.

06-20-2007, 11:32 PM
gotcha georgie boy.

for the record, I support the sheriff - i am a deputy - but i think we need a new one. so far no one going for his job has shown me they can do any better.

a smart reader will avoid reading into anyones post something that is not there. read, analyze, think, compare... as in independent mind and conclude on your own.

permit me to ask a question: was your mono e mono with Hunter about a personal matter or something that in some way involved the agency or policy?

itme for a knew shriff.
:lol:

Curios George
06-21-2007, 11:56 PM
retnuh, the answer to your question:

It was both. No appointment, just a knock on the door. He stopped what he was doing and gave me as much time as I needed. Furthermore, he was genuinely interested in my situation. In conclusion he offered excellent advice and told me that he would support my decision. I could not have asked for more! He stood behind his word on all accounts.

For you it may appear as though I look through rose colored glasses but for me it is my personal experience that solidifies my beliefs.

06-22-2007, 02:03 AM
George i am reaally genuinely glad that your times and ixperiences with mr. Hunter have been good. many of my experiencess have also been good or at the leastunderstanddable and asatisfactory. then agian i have seen my own situations and those of others end up not so nice. too many times esspecially latly. it is too bada that this forum does not alllow mee to go into detail ----- no t only would my own identitty be showed but others woulld also be comprimised.

glad also to see that you still read my oposts :P .

and once agine as to my spelings and such as the way thesee posts are constructed... a few posts aggo in unuther thread i explainned and discussed why it is done thesse ways. donnt judbge a book by its cover as tehy say...

i geuess anohter reason is that it takes more time and efort to interepit for the command when "u know whoo " igves his daily briefing to the sheriff.

you are a spirited debator Mr. George, rose-colored glasses and all.

i borrowwed the ... and the ... form some of Hunters big blue emails...

06-22-2007, 01:01 PM
oh retnuh we know who you are

06-22-2007, 04:24 PM
I know Retnuh. I know one other person who knows Retnuh. You don't know Retnuh. :wink:

DevilDogg
06-23-2007, 02:16 AM
Great response from all of you. I like the fact I can "see" into your opinions and get a feel of where you are all coming from.

You were dead on ba!!s accurate about the head shed wondering WWDD. That's funny, I think I'll have a bracelet made up! However, I still feel that the head sheds need to cowboy up and tell the Sheriff that there is some things going on that need to be addressed.

I've used the open door policy once, and I got my arse chewed for showing up un-announced. Of course that was "back in the day" and the head shed was made up of a couple of great bumbleheads. Maybe I'll try it again...

Thanks again for the responses, it does me good to know that there are other people around that have the same beliefs I do.

06-23-2007, 08:12 PM
Great response from all of you. I like the fact I can "see" into your opinions and get a feel of where you are all coming from.

You were dead on ba!!s accurate about the head shed wondering WWDD. That's funny, I think I'll have a bracelet made up! However, I still feel that the head sheds need to cowboy up and tell the Sheriff that there is some things going on that need to be addressed.

I've used the open door policy once, and I got my arse chewed for showing up un-announced. Of course that was "back in the day" and the head shed was made up of a couple of great bumbleheads. Maybe I'll try it again...

Thanks again for the responses, it does me good to know that there are other people around that have the same beliefs I do.

Forget the bracelet idea, let's all go get a tattoo that says WWDD....oh darn...that idea has already been taken....nevermind.

06-24-2007, 01:36 AM
You don't know retnuh????.......You don't know Benjamin.....and that's all I have to say about that.