PDA

View Full Version : possible layoffs

06-15-2007, 12:20 PM
over 160 might lose their jobs. hmmmm. i wonder how manywould be civillian. i wonder how many would be toop brass like so many of the not neeeded lts and commanders and capatains and yes even a chief of two. maybe just maybe a cut back on some funds is not that bad an idea to clean this top heavy place up. maybe a better sheriff too.

okay, i typed sloooooowwwwwlllllllllyyyyyyyyyyy. and i am now ready for the attacks from the rose colored glassess wearing regulars...

06-15-2007, 01:11 PM
there is fat to trim.

06-15-2007, 01:19 PM
Yeah I saw the sheriff on t.v. talking about that. Is he kidding or what? So far he's the only one in southwest florida that wants layoff people.

06-15-2007, 02:02 PM
Guaranteed that the layoffs will be among the troops. The sheriff knew that this situation was looming, yet he did not hold back from making numerous new promotions of his loyalists to positions of commanders and a new chief, a person who has retired a couple times and is allowed to take several months a year off to travel. This chief commands one other person, a newly promoted commander, who commands no one else. These promotions were solely to provide these loyalists raises that amounted to approximately $10,000 each. And be assured that the sheriff is not going to do away with his new toys, like the multi-thousand dollar unused situation room that caused many employees to lose space and be crammed into less favorable working conditions. And let's not forget the thousands of dollars being spent on high cost Ford Explorers for the all the captains and chiefs who don't need them. Of course the idea is that these vehicles will be used in the event of hurricanes, but do you really believe that the brass is going to give up their vehicle during a storm? Nope, they'll use the vehicles themselves to get to and from the office. Mobile observation towers and all the other toys for the favored units will not be victims of cost cutting. It will be manpower. Watch and see troops from less favored specialty units such as crime prevention and youth relations are not reallocated to the road to fill in for laid off road patrol deputies. These are units popular with the public and will be the sheriff's way of punishing the public for cutting his funding. "If you want these services, then increase my funds". Retnuh is very correct in his assertion that it is time for a new sheriff. And time for a reduction in the top heavy command staff.

06-15-2007, 05:59 PM
I am starting to believe the hype. Hunter seems to do whatever he wants, with little regard for us.

06-15-2007, 06:43 PM
the worst thing is that Don actually thinks he is fooling all of us, and that we are dumb enough to believe him. He has no credibility anymore. He is not a cop, not a good leader and is shucking and jiving to save a failing political career.

06-16-2007, 01:13 PM
all he has to do is get rid of the administators that have no span of control and we'll all be fine - i guess all those raises and promotions they gave themselves is coming back to bite em.

Paradise
06-17-2007, 02:35 AM
It is obvious that after two days no one feels the same as you retnuh. It is even more obvious that although there are 7 posts to this thread, only one or two actually did the postings. When you do this you are referred to as a “Poser”.

Definition of a Poser: (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=poser)

1. One who pretends to be someone whose not.

2. Who tries to fit in but with exaggeration.

3. Any one who does not follow his/her own ideas of what he/she likes. Following no one set norm makes you real and following no one set norm makes you poser. Poser is governed not by the clothes, music, or makeup you wear, but rather by the state of your mind and the conformity to your own beliefs.

4. A person who attempts to blend into a specific social group

That sends a strong message in Message Board Etiquette: If you post a thread you should not have to post additional information under a pseudo name in an effort to make your point or validate your thoughts and beliefs.

There have been no responses by any of the registered users and yet there have been over 170 views of this thread (At the time of this writing).

Based on the following information it is clear that this is a dead issue. The real issue is not the Sheriff but the proposed tax cuts and how they will affect ALL of public service.

If anything you should be glad that Sheriff Hunter is in office and represents our county. He is one of the few political figures in this state that carries enough weight to even be heard in Tallahassee.

When you are ready to discuss the real issues then post something intelligent about that issue and not as a Poser trying to slam our Sheriff.

veteranrookie
06-17-2007, 03:23 AM
It is obvious that after two days no one feels the same as you retnuh. It is even more obvious that although there are 7 posts to this thread, only one or two actually did the postings. When you do this you are referred to as a “Poser”.

Definition of a Poser: (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=poser)

1. One who pretends to be someone whose not.

2. Who tries to fit in but with exaggeration.

3. Any one who does not follow his/her own ideas of what he/she likes. Following no one set norm makes you real and following no one set norm makes you poser. Poser is governed not by the clothes, music, or makeup you wear, but rather by the state of your mind and the conformity to your own beliefs.

4. A person who attempts to blend into a specific social group

That sends a strong message in Message Board Etiquette: If you post a thread you should not have to post additional information under a pseudo name in an effort to make your point or validate your thoughts and beliefs.

There have been no responses by any of the registered users and yet there have been over 170 views of this thread (At the time of this writing).

Based on the following information it is clear that this is a dead issue. The real issue is not the Sheriff but the proposed tax cuts and how they will affect ALL of public service.

If anything you should be glad that Sheriff Hunter is in office and represents our county. He is one of the few political figures in this state that carries enough weight to even be heard in Tallahassee.

When you are ready to discuss the real issues then post something intelligent about that issue and not as a Poser trying to slam our Sheriff.

I read this thread and must say that more important things came to mind, like getting drunk and making sweet love to my wife....

itz just natural....

Paparazzi LEO
06-17-2007, 03:42 AM
What is natural? Getting drunk or your wife - Inquiring minds want to know :)

06-17-2007, 04:10 AM
more like paradope making love to the don in hopes of favor

06-17-2007, 11:13 AM
Drunk??...who's getting drunk.....I'll get drunk...hoo ahh

06-17-2007, 11:39 AM
Paradise, I can guarantee you that I am not retnuh, even if I do agree with him that it is indeed time for a new sheriff, one who will be on the job full time and watching out for the line troops.
My question to you is this, Why are you such an ardent apologist for the administration? Are you possibly, in fact, an administration "plant" on this board? Are you one of the beneficiaries of the numerous promotions that have been made to command staff?
You are very quick to attack anyone who may be opposed to the way business is being conducted, or rather misconducted, at the CCSO. You have attacked retnuh in this string as being a poser. I wonder if the real poser is you. You have said in prior posts that you are one of the regular troops, but are you indeed that? Or are you just posing as one when you are, in fact, an administration "hack"? Tell us Paradise, who are you REALLY?
Instead of attacking retnuh, why didn't you address the issues that were presented in my last post? The exorbitant spending on unnecessary "toys" such as observation towers and situation rooms. The unnecessary spending on large 4 wheel drive vehicles for command staff. The huge costs involved with promotions that are not supported by span of control needs. All of this at a time when budget constraints may necessitate layoffs that, if needed, will occur among line troops. Why do you deem it necessary to deflect the content of this string from a true discussion of what is happening, and try instead to steer this discussion into an attack on retnuh because he, like many others, believe that the current administration is not functioning in the best interest of the agency or the community?

06-17-2007, 01:26 PM
guest07 rocks...paradise is a fraud...i'm on the fence about retnuh

06-17-2007, 01:35 PM
ihavent had my first cup of coffee yet and look what i get to read. maybe so few posts on theis thread because the ususalls are too scared or to ignorant or too unwilling to chime im. sometimes it is hard to face the truth. i do not post under any name but retnuh. i am no a poser. as far as blending in... (just like 252) hahahaha dats funny stuff theree. seems more people found mongo and depalma more interesting thatn the dnagers facing the CCSO and its mismanagementt. Hunter and his amdmin got too big for their britches and now should be held toa ccount. they need replaced. nohting personal against them but they had theyre shot time for a new sherifff.

Paradise
06-17-2007, 01:57 PM
Guest07,

I said that one or TWO have posted on this string and that after 48 hours no one else posted. The 6 posts prior to mine were made by two people at best posing to be more than two. None of the REGISTERED members even took time to comment on this thread. This means that the majority does not feel the way you two feel.

I do not apologize for the administration; I support the administration! Nor am I a part of the administration or have benefited by the administration except to receive what every other member has received. I am only a Cpl who drives a green and white and responds to calls.

I have not “Attacked” retnuh; I only oppose his beliefs as he opposes mine. There has been no name calling or slanderous statements by either of us. We know each others position statements and respectfully argue our differences.

The term Poser was used to describe how two people posted 6 responses; ALL under different screen names in an attempt to make it seem like more than 2 people believe the way you two feel. At least I am registered and you know when I make a statement it is from me. There is no guess work. I will be glad to post my real name as soon as others start posting theirs. But hey, half the fun on this forum is trying to figure out whom each of us really are. Not knowing identities allows one to concentrate on what is being said and not who said it.

Addressing the real issues? Well I do not see them as “Toys” but as tools. There is a difference. The observation tower was purchased with grant monies and not with budget monies. There is a huge difference. The first time you have to respond and participate in a real riot or other critical call, you will appreciate the advantage point. The situation room is not a toy and is a part of the Critical Incident Command Structure. Every government body has one and operates from it during a disaster. As for the 4-wheel drive vehicles, that decision was made after hurricane Wilma. Unlike other agencies who command staff leaves the affected area only to return after the storm. Our leaders were right here in the middle of it. Prior to making the decision to deploy after the storm, the staff went out first. Most were affected by not having the proper vehicle and were criticized. Now they do and they are still criticized…go figure. As for the promotions, ALL large Florida Sheriff’s offices have the same type of structure so get over it.

Our agency is growing and we have to prepare now for our future. Layoffs will not occur among the troops. Specialty Units will cease to operate (YRB, Special Ops, etc) the man power will be redistributed among the districts and specialty call outs will occur from individuals within the district and not from Special Ops. No new positions will be hired. Attrition rates will go unfilled until the 163 are met and yes this would include some civilian positions.

I defend this agency because I have worked at another and personally know how it is to work for someone in which you claim our Sheriff to be. You have NO CLUE what it could be like. Try working for an agency like Dade, Orange, Broward, Palm Beach, Hillsborough or Duval. Then you will know what it is like to work in a HELL HOLE!!!!! Until then, count your blessings because this place is Paradise compared to what it could be.

Stop crying for a new Sheriff and start supporting this one. You do not know how good you have it here!! Just look at the message boards from larger agencies and see the difference or listen to someone like me who has worked in the conditions you think you have here!

To say our Sheriff is not functioning in the best interest of our agency or community is a hallow statement of ignorance and not from personal experience…been there done that!

Curios George
06-17-2007, 02:12 PM
Well said Paradise but do not waste a lot of your time trying to explain. They will never get it. You could give them $100.00 and they would still complain that it was not $101.00.

On a second note, Happy Fathers Day, including you retnuh :)

06-17-2007, 03:10 PM
Paradise and George, Just wondering if that barbed wire tattoo hurt when you had it applied? It will never cease to amaze me that if a person disagrees with this current administration that he/she must have no experience and is clueless to the operations in other agencies. Sorry, but you are sadly mistaken. If you want to continue as an apologist for this administration, then do so, but to attack others and call them posers or whatever other monikers you wish to pin on them is juvenile. It is apparent that you are unwilling or unable to have a civil adult discussion of the issues at hand.

06-17-2007, 04:11 PM
The issue at hand with the CCSO is that we have a sheriff who is largely absent from the day to day administration of this agency. He is preoccupied with his position as a CALEA commissioner which, while it brings him personal accolades and numerous travel opportunities, does little for the betterment of the CCSO. He is narrowly focused on homeland security and immigration issues which are indeed important but not to the exclusion of proper operation of this agency. He has, therefore, relegated much of the day to day operations and personnel decisions to an operations chief who is a prime example of the Peter Principal at work. He does not have the maturity, experience, or temperament for that level of administration and as a result, troops who are not in his personal preference circle suffer. Many of the deputies who have lost their jobs in the past few months would have been deemed salvageable in the past under Sheriff Hunter, but are now summarily dismissed because Hunter is absent and simply signs off on the decisions made by this intolerant chief. I bring this up, because personnel affected by layoffs will largely be decided by this chief and that should cause all of us concern

06-17-2007, 04:24 PM
here, here...guest07 for sheriff!

Paparazzi LEO
06-17-2007, 04:25 PM
Hey Paradise - George was right - it was not enough. You should have offered $101.00 and a box Midol with your explination.

06-17-2007, 05:48 PM
Guest07... I wonder if you realy know just how accurate youre statements are because you are dead on balls accurate.

as i said when i first opined on this website it is my opinion based on many years, decades, of service to thiss agency and commmunitey that we have as an agency gotteon so far distracted and torn away from what really matters. Hunter has had many succcesses and recently far too many failures. he has lost his perspective and objectivity, he is too willing to let those who have fooled him inot putting them into poasitions of power to support their decisions. Hunter is a puppet to cop wann-bee's and power mongers who car only for their own survival not tht of the agency of its members, let alone for the benefit of our communitty.

byt he way what proof is there that one or two peopel are postnig under diffrent names to make it look like more poeple post? is there real empirical evidence, or just the musing of some self proclaimed experts? or some palm reading phsycheics? or is it just an easy way to distract readers from the issues presented .

in large part Hunter has been lucky over the years. our times and siutaions now require true leadership. our chiefs do not have it they pretend to do what they think chiefs should do after watching a televisssion show. they are to busyy fighting and buiulind their litle kingdoms. i have been here longer than most i would bet, and i tell you it is time for a new sheriff. and new chiefs. chiefs who are cops and leaders not college boys and retirees.

yaeah, i know. i have to go now. read the posts with sincerity and weigh what is said. think independently about what it said in all of them. forget the attacks or the hype. consider what is said and what is going on. do it without the rose colored galasses. remember the past, and the double standars and the do as i say not asi do mentality. in the end we may stilll not agreee but we should at the leestt better understaned each ohter.

06-17-2007, 09:23 PM
i agree :)

DevilDogg
06-18-2007, 07:08 PM
In a word - POLITICS. There is so much shite going on in the head-shed that it would make us "commoners" heads spin.

No one is doubting the double standards that have been set for the ones that are liked. How many actually have first hand knowlege of things that have been "swept" because it's OK for some, but not for others? I myself have no exacts, but, as people say.... a million chinese people can't be wrong!

By the way, has anyone seen DeathandDoom? I never did get an answer from him/her!

06-18-2007, 09:50 PM
facts are tough, but i have been in a position to hear firsthand about some things being handled in a quiet manner for some while others face the wrath. many of those conversations, and "inquiries" would be difficult to bring to light. many of the players have no problem shading the truth to cover such political gamesmanship, and those "inquiries" will go to the grave with others...i find much of the politics distasteful, and try not to dwell on it too much.

06-19-2007, 01:54 AM
Just look at some recent "new" assignments and reassignments. Anybody remember the little animal books and character first campaign? What a crock. One of the sergeants involved in that mess, who was doing his job trying to sell it to his troops, told me when the campaign was abandonded that this is not an agency of character first, it is an agency of character when convenient. In the years since I was told that, I hate to admit it but my experiences and observations support it. There are only rules when it is comfortable for the administration, especially certain elements, to have them. Otherwise, whatever or however something can be "fixed" is the course taken. What a shame that we are governed by a bunch of hypocrites. This is my first and last post to this site. It makes me sick, and yes I am looking to relocate and move away from here.

06-19-2007, 02:20 AM
Drunk??...who's getting drunk.....I'll get drunk...hoo ahh

Zone, we should start a Sig-2 thread where you can only post if you’ve been hitting the sauce. We can have a disclaimer like “The posts on this thread don’t reflect the opinions of LEO AFFAIRS or CCSO” How great would that be??? Now when you read another Sig-2 post it will make perfect sense and the sober people will be like… uhhh what the hell? <--- (Hank voice from King of the Hill or George Welch)… you choose.

06-19-2007, 09:50 AM
Damn it Bobby...that's a capital idea.

06-27-2007, 03:45 AM
retnuh,

I don't normally agree with you, at all, but you're dead on regarding the top heavy nature of the admin. Every time I walk out of a CCSO building, it seems to be raining Commanders. Seriously, I walked out of Horseshoe a couple of weeks ago, and a new Dom. Sec. Captain and Commander fell from the sky and splattered like bird shiite on the sidewalk right next to me.
I think they were flying in from a recent vacation because they are never at work, a month off here, two weeks off there. Where can I get a job where I
never have to actually come to work and I have no actual responsibilities? :roll:

06-27-2007, 05:18 AM
Try walking through the PDC....there is 1cmdr, 1Lt., 3sgt.'s and something like 4- 5 civilians. Let's look at span of control. There are road patrol Sgt.'s that supervise 8-9 people now. I'm at a loss for words sometime when it comes to this type of crap. George or Paradise please reply to this and see if it makes any sense to you two at all.

06-28-2007, 02:33 PM
Right on Zone. I can't keep track of all the new Commander positions created to help the administration do less with more. They keep asking Patrol deputies to do more and more with less resources, but they don't follow the same idea. They regularly criticize Patrol Sergeants for "poor" decisions but don't realize that more is being asked of overworked Patrol Sergeants then at any time in the agencies history.

Budget Cuts:
HQ Captain that doesn't supervise anyone 180K
Race Relations Captain that doesn't supervise anyone 180K
Admin. Asst. Lt. that doesn't supervise anyone 150K
Dom. Security Captain 180K
Com. Security Commander 160K
Training Commander 160K
YRB Commander 160K
One Patrol Commander too many 160K
Needlessly added Field Sup. positions x3 450K
CID Commander 160K

Total for easy budget cuts that no one would miss 1.9 million dollars

Paparazzi LEO
06-28-2007, 07:21 PM
Guest,

150k to 180k ? That is not their salary so what are you talking about? I do not dispute their functions or lack there-of BUT where do you get that dollar figure?

06-29-2007, 01:43 AM
wile i am certainly no mindr eader i would guess that that the previous guest meant no t the brass'es salary's but the cost in tottal to the agency such ass in surance and all. the cited figurs might be a bit more acrate when looked at in that light. it is truly hard to fathom (goood word huh?) why such excesss brass is needed. maybe devil dogg had it right when he said "politics".

Browning and Young = good .. no, grate men. i have known them both for many yearss and respectt them immensley. with due respect to them both and to the wonderrfl parting words in the eemail i must disagree wit there asssessment of mr. Hunter. It is time for a new sherrif and an new admin. don is NOT the only one who can see us through the comming crisises. hopefuly some one will run for the job who can.

veteranrookie
06-29-2007, 02:29 PM
retnuh, I'm not going to disagree with you (but I can't agree with you totally) when it comes to the point of too much brass sucking up excess monies that could go in our pocket. I tend to believe that these paychecks that go to what you seem to describe as unneeded positions is only a drop in the bucket compared to what this agency spends on it's specialty units.

We seem to have a specialty unit for any and every describable specialty. I would think that if our agency was going to make some fiscally sound decisions it could start with our "money pits" (which would also probably include the unneeded admin positions as you describe). When it comes down to it, this county(the civilians) needs a patrol car with a well trained deputy in it working the streets. Anything more than that is just too much gravy on the taters. To validate my point: what the hell is that sky tower thingy going to do to help me do my job? I'm not seeing it.

Hope that point made sense?

06-29-2007, 06:37 PM
I heard that they are now looking at dissmising people incurent prb cases more to be able to to meet the new bugdet.

06-29-2007, 11:37 PM
VeteranRookie has a point. Then again pay and salary and benefits are the single largest part of the agency budget by far. All other parts of the budget combined do not come close to what we spend on people.

Still I do not see the need for all the new LTs and Commanders and even a few Captains and a Chief or two. I am not stupid, have a college degree, (4-yr), and have been a cop more than 12 yrs. To me there is just no way to justify all these promotions of people who really do not supervise anyone.
To me and forgive me if I sound like Retnuh, the promos were made to pay certain people for their political support past and future. Meanwhile, patrol, where I work, once again takes it in the butt. Especially the Sergeants who have 8-10 or more deputies to supervise on a shift, and who have more and more (and more and more) responsibility heaped on them almost every day.

I was told once that if all the LTs and above left for six months no one would miss them and the agency would get along fine. But, take all the Sergeants away for more than a few days and the place would fall apart, especially patrol. I have been here just a few years but long enough to agree with a lot of that statement. There is way too much brass here. Look at the list posted by the Guest on 28 June. Damn! The minority affairs captian, the prb/training commander, the cid commander, the rest.

I am open minded. Someone convince me these were needed and in the best interests of the agency. I am willing to consider it all. I am listening.

ReelsouthernLeo
07-02-2007, 06:14 AM
This discussion is missing the point. The command staff will pad/surround themselves with loyal people to shift responsibility and accountability down the chain.

The blame for all of these things does not necessarily lie with the sheriff. The Sheriff is the elected political figurehead of this agency. He has a goal for the agency but it is left to the chiefs and below to implement these goals. I guarantee that he is told what the chiefs want him to hear and not always the actual facts. The command staff will tell him what they want, create the positions that they want, and buy the equipment that they want.

I may be wrong but I don't think that taking on Magnum P.I. as the new Sheriff is going to change things for the better.

07-02-2007, 08:07 AM
This discussion is missing the point. The command staff will pad/surround themselves with loyal people to shift responsibility and accountability down the chain.

The blame for all of these things does not necessarily lie with the sheriff. The Sheriff is the elected political figurehead of this agency.

The point is that these things ARE directly attributable to the sheriff and it is his responsibility and blame. Because he is the elected sheriff, it is he who is directly responsible for the appointments he makes and the decisions they make. As the saying goes "The buck stops here".

The gross ineptness of the command staff, in particular the chief of operations, is of concern to all in the agency and the community at large. The bad decisions and poor management of staff are sanctioned by the sheriff. He has consciously granted power to the chief of operations while the sheriff tends to matters more suited to ego. Yes, it is time for a new sheriff. One that is the choice of the community, rather than one who is missing in action while trying to groom his hand picked replacement.

Curios George
07-02-2007, 10:58 AM
ReelsouthernLeo is correct. If you think that the Magnum PI would not deligate the same authority to his chiefs then you are sadly mistaken!!

All this constant talk about time for a new Sheriff...I say HOG WASH! The real point is that the magnum pi is not even close to having what it takes. There is NO ONE running against the Sheriff that will even make this election close and rightfully so!!

Stop belly aching and support the man who signs your checks and gives you the opportunity to work for the best agency in the state!! If you think he has a problem with his chiefs then quit hiding behind your phony screen names, grab your sack and tell the Sheriff how you feel. Only then will you be part of the solution and not part of the problem.

He is a fair man and has always done what is best for the agency and not himself. If you think differently then start reading some of the other boards.

I can't wait till election time just so I can post a big fat thread that says "I TOLD YOU SO PER THE CITIZENS OF THIS COUNTY.

I think it is time for a big group hug,

Love George

07-02-2007, 11:20 AM
Oh dear George......... ever the apologist for Donny Boy.

I did not endorse "Magnum PI" or anyone else for sheriff in my post. I merely said it is time for a new sheriff and I hope a qualified candidate will come forth. Do I think a new sheriff would also delegate authority to his command staff? Yes indeed and I would hope he would rather than being a micromanager that the current sheriff was until he anointed his current chief of operations. That's why we need a new sheriff...... one who will delegate authority to COMPETENT commanders rather than muscle buddies who are more concerned with their biceps than the troops they are supposed to be leading.

Curios George
07-02-2007, 12:01 PM
Oh dear Guest07,

No one can step up to the plate because the time to announce your intentions to run for Sheriff is over. The dead line came and went. Only one person, Magnum PI (Pretty Insignificant) was the only one that placed their name in the hat.

I guess you will have to wait 5 more years for your chance at a contender. Just think, 5 years will allow 5 more inches on the biceps and another 25% in raises at a minimum.

See ya in 2012 :lol:

07-02-2007, 01:08 PM
Sorry George, but the filing date to run for sheriff is not over until this time next year. Plenty of time for a qualified candidate to come forward. Since we're still on the subject of elections, should Mr. Hunter be reelected, would anyone like to take bets on whether he completes his full next term, or will he conveniently resign at mid term and have Gov. Crist appoint a new handpicked successor? Keep this in mind when voting next year because if you vote for Hunter, you may also be voting for his choice of who will be the incumbent in 2012.

07-02-2007, 03:08 PM
we certainly are top heavy at the commander's level and we waste money too many captains and lieutenants that don't actually supervise anyone but all -in-all the sheriff has done a pretty good job running the agency and bringing new technology. as someone posted earlier the ccso is one of the better agencies in the state. i dont think the commanders promotions are politcal payoffs as suggested earlier. i think they are direct recommendations from the chiefs. the record of these chiefs has been to promote someone to commander and have them try and fix a broken lieutenant instead of dealing with the problem lieutenant.

07-02-2007, 03:22 PM
Sgt AO in D2 wears red womens panties to work.

Paparazzi LEO
07-02-2007, 05:00 PM
If that is what it takes to be a Cops Cop who is an effective leader then I will throw a pair on myself :)

After all, it is not what you wear to work that counts but how work wears on you that counts. That is one guy who is level headed and always relaxed.

Curios George
07-02-2007, 06:15 PM
Guest07,

I stand corrected. You are right. The last day to qualify to run for Sheriff is 06/20/08 at 12pm.

We will see if anyone else steps forward but for the record my vote is for Don Hunter. (Not arse kissing, just a statement of being happy at where I work and who I work for.)

07-04-2007, 04:10 AM
Remember this my fellow brothers in Arms, Commanders and above have gotten 49% in raises since the end of 2004. Yes 49%

And Corrections Deputy of the Quarter have you gotten anything extra now that You have no purpose at work?

ReelsouthernLeo
07-04-2007, 07:05 AM
Does anyone here think that Magnum P.I. or anyone else who runs for sheriff wouldn't surround themselves with their own hand selected staff?

You are sadly mistaken if you believe that anyone from outside the agency wouldn't bring their own loyal suckups to run the show alongside him. You have no clue what yahoo's you could get stuck with. I am willing to bet that they will keep the 40 something percent worth of raises that our command staff has gotten and continue to raise it further while the troops in the field continue to get five to ten percent a year as always. It is just a fact of life. Big businesses are the same way. If you are at the top of the food chain you are going to get the perks that go along with that.

I say if you want to go up the chain, then you need to take the sgt's test and start your trip to the puzzle palace with puckered lips. If not, then stay down here at the bottom and know the even though you don't make as much money as the command staff does, you also won't get chapped lips and sore feet from the old comstat two-step.

Paradise
07-04-2007, 08:00 AM
Remember this my fellow brothers in Arms, Commanders and above have gotten 49% in raises since the end of 2004. Yes 49%

And Corrections Deputy of the Quarter have you gotten anything extra now that You have no purpose at work?

Ticked Off - you are a troll trying to stir the pot. You have no clue what you are talking about. I bet you do not even work here. If you did you would know that everyone is on the STEP plan. That means if the starting deputy gets a 3.5% raise then everyone gets a 3.5% raise. How much that raise means in actual dollars is determined by how many dollars you made to begin with. So stop trying to stir the pot and start educating yourself about the agency you work for IF you even work for us.

On a second note, nice avatar Reelsouthernleo :)

07-05-2007, 03:30 PM
Paradise-you are mistaken because lieutenants, commanders, and captains did get an additional "adjustment" in 2005-i believe the year is correct. I dont begrudge them the money, if there werent so many of them.
the organizational chart is starting to look like an upside down pyramid. but i am an optimist, atleast those of us with no rank will have strong backs from carrying all of the new admin positions.

Paradise
07-05-2007, 04:32 PM
Guest,

I am NOT “Mistaken”. The “Bump” you refer to was given to everyone to implement the pay plan. If 49% was given to the command staff since 2004 then EVERYONE has received the same amount. Finance has the exact amount that we ALL have had since 2004. The point being is that we have all had a large increase since 2004 AND the Sheriff made it happen!!

07-05-2007, 07:29 PM
I would venture to say turnover and problems with retention made it happen. It was reactive.

Curios George
07-05-2007, 08:01 PM
I would venture to say turnover and problems with retention made it happen. It was reactive.

You are correct. He saw that there was a problem and he did everything in his power to correct it.

To be reactive means that you are listening and care what is being said.

Does not get better than that when you work for someone. :wink:

07-05-2007, 08:16 PM
maay i suggest that you go to hr and or finace and ask to see the ajustments to the pay of lt.s and above for thepast three years. if you ara givern the info you will be shocked at the ajustments made. more deptuies and non salaryed deps are leavin so why has not that pay increesed?

07-05-2007, 09:56 PM
The pay for lieutenants and captains has exceeded the pay given to non-exempt ranks. In approximately 2000 a pay study was done that said all ranks were approximately 19% underpaid EXCEPT for sergeants and captains who were approximately 29% underpaid. An across the board increase of 24% was given to all ranks to give them 5% above pay parity. Sergeants and captains were supposed to get more, however, sergeants were forgotten about. At about this time, a new captain was hired from outside the agency and he negotiated his salary which proved to be approximately $2.00 per hour more than existing captains. So, along with their 24% pay increase, all captains were given the additional $2.00 per hour which meant that their base for all future increases would be greater. So, therefore, they have exceeded the pay increase percentages of the non exempt ranks, and the gap keeps getting wider. When subsequent pay adjustments were made by rank, it was decided that there needed to be a greater percentage difference between ranks above sergeant, so lieutenant and commanders and captains and chiefs, etc, all got an additional bump. Last year a newly promoted lieutenant was given a salary that was larger than deserved, but instead of reducing his pay, it was decided to give a large bump to all lieutenants, after there was much complaining in supervisors meetings by certain lieutenants. So, the statement that everyone has gotten the same percentage increases over the years is just flat out false. These huge salary increases are what has kept several lieutenants and captains from leaving the agency. One of these was referred to in a different thread. But it doesn't matter who stays. Don't count on a promotion to the gravy train ranks unless you are one of the favored few and if you are, don't worry about a slot opening up because one will be made for you, regardless of the span of control discrepancies.

07-05-2007, 11:23 PM
Paradise,

I do work here, I am just well.... Ticked Off. How top heavy do we need to be before we tumble? And the step plan that was implemented was for Sgt's and below. Would drink Cool-Aid if Command Staff asked you?

And yes I do work here and have been here long enough to see us go from the Top paying agency in the area to one of the worst.

07-06-2007, 12:01 AM
guesst07 for sherff. :lol:

07-06-2007, 02:19 AM
Guest07, thank you, you said what I was trying to say and did very well, as was stated, any political aspirations?

07-06-2007, 06:07 PM
Let me see:

Hunter in 1988:

Barely made it thru college-
No military experience-
Was hired as a budget officer-manager-
Never worked road patrol or CID or anything to do with LEO-
Appointed as Chief Deputy (no one knows why)

Magnum PI:

Unknown amount of College-
Was an FHP Officer for a few years and did work the road-
Former Air Force Officer-
Ran his own business for 25 years and has been successful-

hmmmmm,,,maybe Magnum PI aint the right one but he's looking like he's starting with more than Hunter did in the beginning. Hope we have more choices.

07-06-2007, 08:39 PM
to be fare i think mr. Hunter did spned some time in the army or army reservees. it was his dad who got him in wit sheeriff rodgers.

veteranrookie
07-06-2007, 08:48 PM
and i'm going out on a limb here but Air Force barely qualifies for hard core Military service.

DevilDogg
07-07-2007, 05:52 PM
Vetrook, no truer a statement has ever been made.

07-08-2007, 02:40 AM
huh? youu dont see the army or the mareines great as they are flying F-16s or F-15s or Navy tomctats or hornets or B-52s. leve the air force alone

07-08-2007, 10:52 AM
The navy has a bigger air force than the Air Force does.

ReelsouthernLeo
07-09-2007, 04:47 AM
No matter what the Sheriff's background is...he has the experience in his position that Magnum doesn't. He has the juice to go head to head with the county commission and win.

Although I don't agree with every decision that he has made, I still feel that he is the best person to lead the agency.
I don't agree with every decision that my wife makes either, but overall she is still the best thing going. Or at least until I find a rich 21 year old.