PDA

View Full Version : Whats the deal with IUPA

06-12-2007, 07:34 PM
Is this crap they are trying to sell true. Did PBA present the contract before our meeting. Is it true that they already bargined a 3% raise which is crap

06-12-2007, 07:49 PM
I was at the meeting! **** Brickman said himself that they already submitted the contract to the Sheriffs office. The PBA is screwing us again. We need to get IUPA voted in. IUPA will have a local union for BSO, elected by BSO and funded by BSO and only have the interest of BSO deputies. Who gives a crap about the other cities falling under the PBA. On another note, why was Pat Hanrahan and Debbie Riggio seen circling all of the cars in the parking lot of the IUPA meeting and writing things down. Ask Pat if you don't believe me, he was confronted and took off

06-12-2007, 08:31 PM
wtf so its true, how can they get away with that, what pisses me off is that if no one said anything I would have never known. I refuse to go these pba meetings because I feel like its the mafia. It dont matter what u want or say :evil:

06-12-2007, 09:15 PM
OK, here it is....... neither the IUPA or the PBA is worth a damn. Sunrise PD just went FOP a few months ago and seems very happy except for a few malcontents. I'm not saying the FOP will have all the answers but I've heard bad things about IUPA and of course we all know how the PBA operates by now. The fact of the matter is that Brickman is in bed with Jenne, has been for years, thats why we are in the sad state of affairs that we are at this time. All Brickman will say after a "NEGOTIATION" is that, this is the best I could get for you, take it or leave it! Well, now is the time to do what's best for all of us, drop the PBA and instead of the IUPA who is trying to woo all BSO PBA members to them at this coincidental time, just before contract talks start, think about going to FOP. I am a member of the PBA but I will support any effort to go to the FOP for the best interest of all BSO brother and sister deputies. We must unite against all efforts to do us no good, we all deserve much better than we've gotten over the years, and we all know it deep down. So, in closing, lets part company with a bad partner in the PBA who do us all here at BSO absolutely no good whatsoever!

06-12-2007, 09:51 PM
FOP is huge in DC and I mean big they pretty much run the whole city, its very powerful

06-12-2007, 10:01 PM
You can not say that IUPA is trying to woo PBA members at such a time when negotiations are going on. Let me educate you on how the election works. PERC petition cards are only good for 1 calender year so someone trying to replace a union can start from one year out from the expiration of a contract. During that year, an orginization has a time window from 90-150 days from the expiration of a contract to submit the PERC cards for an election. This is state law, not a ploy by any union. Once 30% is delivered to PERC, they will certify the cards and notify the IUPA,Sheriffs office and the PBA that enough PERC cards have been submitted. Perc then asks all parties if there are any objections or if they consent to an election. IUPA is not trying to "pounce" on the timing of the contract that is expiring. They are following the law and submitting the cards according to the law. You may be asking why IUPA is waiting till the last minute to file? Well there is a good reason. If any union can get 30% and file with PERC, a second window of opportunity opens. Lets say IUPA files 1,000 cards 149 days from the expiration of the contract. According to Florida law, any other union can come in and get 10% in signatures and also get on the ballot. They would have a time frame from 149 days until 90 days of the expiration of the contract. In other words, IUPA would do all the leg work and someone else could come in at the last minute with 10% and get in. I fully support IUPA and want to see a union strictly for BSO, run by BSO and elections held by BSO. There will never be a lifetime president under IUPA. There will also be union reps in every district that will have to run for election in their district. This way every district can control themself. Does the PBA want the deputies to have this much power?

06-13-2007, 12:59 PM
You can not say that IUPA is trying to woo PBA members at such a time when negotiations are going on. Let me educate you on how the election works. PERC petition cards are only good for 1 calender year so someone trying to replace a union can start from one year out from the expiration of a contract. During that year, an orginization has a time window from 90-150 days from the expiration of a contract to submit the PERC cards for an election. This is state law, not a ploy by any union. Once 30% is delivered to PERC, they will certify the cards and notify the IUPA,Sheriffs office and the PBA that enough PERC cards have been submitted. Perc then asks all parties if there are any objections or if they consent to an election. IUPA is not trying to "pounce" on the timing of the contract that is expiring. They are following the law and submitting the cards according to the law. You may be asking why IUPA is waiting till the last minute to file? Well there is a good reason. If any union can get 30% and file with PERC, a second window of opportunity opens. Lets say IUPA files 1,000 cards 149 days from the expiration of the contract. According to Florida law, any other union can come in and get 10% in signatures and also get on the ballot. They would have a time frame from 149 days until 90 days of the expiration of the contract. In other words, IUPA would do all the leg work and someone else could come in at the last minute with 10% and get in. I fully support IUPA and want to see a union strictly for BSO, run by BSO and elections held by BSO. There will never be a lifetime president under IUPA. There will also be union reps in every district that will have to run for election in their district. This way every district can control themself. Does the PBA want the deputies to have this much power?

Well, you did not do much for educating anyone here. The fact of the mater stands for itself in that neither the IUPA or the PBA has the best interest of its members at heart and the only ones to suffer are the brother and sister deputies that have been treated like red headed step-children for too long. The PBA is a lost cause just as the IUPA is as well. I would encourage all current PBA members from BSO to consider a change to the FOP, as I posted previously, Sunrise PD just got a substantial pay increase that was negotiated by the FOP as well as many other items that will benefit the officers in Sunrise. We all know how the PBA has sold us down the river in the past, and the IUPA is trying to be the next in line to convince us that it is the savior and answer to our needs. Obviously, the IUPA thinks it can promise us the moon and stars to get us to switch to them but they are sadly mistaken. If we all want to see a significant change for the better the FOP may be our answer.

06-13-2007, 01:54 PM
FOP has no chance with BSO for t least another 10-15 years. There are still to many people here that remember what the FOP did to the sheriffs office before 1994 when we kicked them out of here. Not positive but I think some of the top leaders are still in jail for stealing money. I know what FOP did, I see what the PBA has done so why not bring someone in with a fresh look? I do think I shed some light on your statement with timing though. A lot of people do not understand how and why things are done but with a little information, we can teach people how the process works.

06-13-2007, 02:23 PM
FOP has no chance with BSO for t least another 10-15 years. There are still to many people here that remember what the FOP did to the sheriffs office before 1994 when we kicked them out of here. Not positive but I think some of the top leaders are still in jail for stealing money. I know what FOP did, I see what the PBA has done so why not bring someone in with a fresh look? I do think I shed some light on your statement with timing though. A lot of people do not understand how and why things are done but with a little information, we can teach people how the process works.

Remember, it was the people in the FOP back then that made the mistakes that cost the FOP its chance to represent BSO. Times have changed as well as the current FOP representation, no more clowns like Hatchigan or Moss to foul things up like they did. I see nothing in the PBA, but its like a bad marriage, we will stay with the PBA as we don't know what's behind the next turn, so, we all will continue to wallow in our demise until someone comes to show how we can be represented like we deserve. I know that every paycheck I see the money that comes out for dues then I say, well, what am I getting for those dues, not very much, oh yes, the lousy 3% raise compliments of Brickman. How about 5%, 5%, 5%, for starters! I'm sure the PBA will say, well, no way that's going to happen, just wait and see!

06-13-2007, 08:03 PM
Just a bit of info from IUPA at their meeting. If the Sheriff cries poverty, IUPA will seek a forensic audit of the books. Then we will see where all the money goes. I would like to see the PBA have balls like that. If I were a betting person, I would say that if IUPA gets in, there will be a domino effect in Broward of agencies switching to IUPA or someone else. When a big agency leaves, it sends a huge message to the rest.

06-13-2007, 08:26 PM
Just a bit of info from IUPA at their meeting. If the Sheriff cries poverty, IUPA will seek a forensic audit of the books. Then we will see where all the money goes. I would like to see the PBA have balls like that. If I were a betting person, I would say that if IUPA gets in, there will be a domino effect in Broward of agencies switching to IUPA or someone else. When a big agency leaves, it sends a huge message to the rest.

Audit of the books is a waist of time, I would just take them to the 5th floor :P

06-22-2007, 05:48 PM
What's the deal with the non-addressed envelopes in the district mailboxes? Is IUPA short votes and trying for a last minute push to force a perc election?

When is their deadline? :?:

06-22-2007, 06:25 PM
Non addressed envelopes had to be placed into the mailbox because their was a mass mailing letting people know about the IUPA meeting. Over 75% of the mail mysteriously disappeared from mailboxes throughout the county. Deputies then got the plain envelopes. This is why the Office of the Majors sent out a memo saying no more mail is supposed to be delivered from IUPA. So you tell me, is the PBA scared enough to remove mail from the mailboxes or is the sheriffs office to scared to loose someone in their pocket? Either way, people don't realize. If you get caught taking mail out of a mailbox, it is against the law. Does not matter if it is an inside mailbox or not. Once postage goes on it, it has to be delivered. I just feel sorry for someone thinking they are helping the PBA out and get caught removing the mail. Say goodbye to your pension if they want to charge you. IUPA has enough votes for the election and they will be sent to Tallahassee at the end of the month. The PBA's days are numbered!!!!

06-22-2007, 07:38 PM
Non addressed envelopes had to be placed into the mailbox because their was a mass mailing letting people know about the IUPA meeting. Over 75% of the mail mysteriously disappeared from mailboxes throughout the county. Deputies then got the plain envelopes. This is why the Office of the Majors sent out a memo saying no more mail is supposed to be delivered from IUPA. So you tell me, is the PBA scared enough to remove mail from the mailboxes or is the sheriffs office to scared to loose someone in their pocket? Either way, people don't realize. If you get caught taking mail out of a mailbox, it is against the law. Does not matter if it is an inside mailbox or not. Once postage goes on it, it has to be delivered. I just feel sorry for someone thinking they are helping the PBA out and get caught removing the mail. Say goodbye to your pension if they want to charge you. IUPA has enough votes for the election and they will be sent to Tallahassee at the end of the month. The PBA's days are numbered!!!!

Funny u say that b/c I never recieved the IUPA meeting memo, I found out about the meeting at inservice

06-22-2007, 09:15 PM
IUPA will be sending the cards to Tallahassee on June 27th. If you still want to join the rest of us in sending a card in, you must get it in the mail by Monday in order for it to get there in time.

06-22-2007, 09:51 PM
I got cards and fliers in the mail, but no 43 on a meeting?

What meeting?

When?

Where?

06-22-2007, 10:30 PM
It was on June 6th and June 7th at the IBEW union hall on State Rd 84 behind the Enterprise car rental. The PBA pulled the mail from the district offices. Who knows what garbage can they threw them in. Guess they are scared of IUPA. The PBA is willing to lie and steal mail. The admin is willing to superseed the post office and not deliver the mail. It looks like the PBA and Sheriffs office vrs the IUPA. You think the PBA and Sheriff are affraid of something?

06-24-2007, 06:49 AM
FOP has no chance with BSO for t least another 10-15 years. There are still to many people here that remember what the FOP did to the sheriffs office before 1994 when we kicked them out of here. Not positive but I think some of the top leaders are still in jail for stealing money. I know what FOP did, I see what the PBA has done so why not bring someone in with a fresh look? I do think I shed some light on your statement with timing though. A lot of people do not understand how and why things are done but with a little information, we can teach people how the process works.AMEN BROTHER!!

06-24-2007, 06:52 AM

Funny u say that b/c I never recieved the IUPA meeting memo, I found out about the meeting at inserviceThats because the PBA had someone remove the mail from your mailbox.

06-24-2007, 02:25 PM
Even if IUPA doesn't get in...at least this may wake up the PBA to the fact that nothing is forever and they need to start thinking of OUR best interests.......

06-24-2007, 04:01 PM
Even if IUPA doesn't get in...at least this may wake up the PBA to the fact that nothing is forever and they need to start thinking of OUR best interests.......

Either that or make them feel more entrenched than ever.

06-24-2007, 08:00 PM
Approx 2-4 weeks after PERC certifies the cards, you should start to see posters in every district,sub station training center.... about the upcoming election. These signs are considered sacred by PERC and it is a violation for anyone to remove or deface them. IUPA will have an election and we will be heard one way or the other. Get with people in your districts and start talking the talk when the signs come out. This is our chance. We need a union for BSO only.

04-16-2008, 11:43 AM
bump