PDA

View Full Version : John King....and The Next 18 months

06-07-2007, 06:23 PM
We that voted for the Sheriff feel we did the right thing. It was a better of the 2 choices given. I still strongly feel that way, however it was not my first choice. I felt that David FLowers would have been a good administrator, and John King a very knowledgeable Under Sheriff about the Law.
Well David is happy where he is so that probably does not bring him in to this.
BUT John King is retiring from FDLE and he would be probably a good if not great choice. He was with the Sheriff's office, left has been with FDLE and now free fom there. Yes, he is from Avon Park, but we won't hold that againist him. He has never been one to look down on you for having an opinion. He is not a Good Ole Boy and has always shot straight from the start. Oh and let us not forget he knows many things that none of us have any idea about. That would rattle some door knobs if he decides to run!
So what about it John?

The next 18 months will be like walking on a frozen lake that is starting to melt, a reminder of the last elections. I would hope that not one member will be as ugly as it was the last time. Many friendships were lost and will never be repaired because of it.

May God Bless you all each and everyday.

06-15-2007, 09:31 PM
I am humbled by your comments. I have heard the talk circulating around town, and will tell you that running for Sheriff was not the reason for my retirement, nor a plan of mine. I must admit though after receiving many phone calls that the prospect of doing so is appealing. I'm just not sure how much support there is out there in the general public. I really think that Sheriff Benton will be difficult to beat for a number of reasons.

The department (HCSD) has made some great strides (improvements) in the past years and a few steps back. I will never speak ill of the Sheriff's efforts, as I beleive she is well intended. I have seen many transitions with various Sheriff's Offices in my 30 years of service and more often then not find that its the delivery/implementation and methods used during the transition, where things go wrong. You got to have the right people in the right places. Enough said.

I am giving the matter some serious thought, but must confess that I have only starting burning my excess leave credits two weeks ago. I have four more weeks to burn with my official retirement date being July 12th. I need to decide if this retirement thing is right for me. I am soon to be 49, which most would say is to young to retire. I am wrestling with this issue as well.

Only time will tell.

Thanks again for the kind words.

06-18-2007, 12:55 AM
When you make a decision please let us know on this board. I think with your background you have a great chance. Enjoy the next month or so.