PDA

View Full Version : Budget Cuts: First Page News Again!

06-06-2007, 12:51 PM
Click on any news Web Site today and all you read about are cities and counties that are going to be forced to cut their budgets. And why are these citiy admisnistrators talking about a loss of public safety-type of services? Why should we, the people, be cheated on this deal and have their safety jeaopardized by a rise in crime and traffic problems? You want to trim some "fat" in the city budget? Why don't you cut the stuff that 90% of residents don't use or need?

I would start cleaning house at our favored Park Station. Cadell? Do we really need a "Media Affairs Director?" We already have Fire and Police Public Information Officers don't we? What other city department needs to disclose "affairs" to the media? If it is going to affect me or my safety, I am sure the PD or FD will make me aware of it. I have never seen "Breaking News on Bay News 9.......Pinellas Park Parks Department finds a clogged urinal at Helen Howarth Park....tune it at 11 for details!" How much of my tax money goes to this position? And while we are at it....

I would rather you cut out some of these parks than a firetruck or two. I think they are very nice, but if we need to desperately cut our budgets, they are in fact a luxury. I am almost 1/2 of a century old and have yet to visit these parks. Whenever I turn on the TV and see men picking up teenage boys for sex, or someone being robbed or shot, it is in a city park. Not this city, just in general.

How many other TOP paid do-nothings does this city have? Poor TC is only the most visible one because of his job. We can do without poorly produced Park TV channel can't we? I mean, we have strived to come such a long way only to turn on that channel and see some of that useless programming. We might as well have signs put back at the city limits warning certain minorities not to let the "sun set on you" in Pinellas Park.

Go to Public Works or the Garage. You see a lot more guys in brightly colored city polo shirts than you do under a car or tractor on a lift. How many supervisors do those poor guys have to anser to?

You know none of these useless people will be cut because, they are right under the department head making the decisions. So, when you are waiting for 3 hours for an officer to respond when you come home and find your house boroken into, you might as well go wait at one of the city's beautiful parks! When your loved one is trapped in an overturned car on US 19 and dies because the fire department is strapped and running calls on the other side of town, at least you can tune into Park TV and hear about it later.

And God forbid the Parks Department finds a clogged urinal at Helen Howarth Park........you will have our "Media Affairs Director" standing by just in case Bay News 9 wants to lead off with it!

DO NOT CUT ESSENTIAL SERVICES WHEN THERE ARE SO MANY NON-ESSENTIAL ONES THAT NEED TO GO FIRST!!!!!!!!

06-06-2007, 09:08 PM
You kinda answered your own question about why the administration claims Public Safety will be cut.

A VERY small number of people would support keeping taxes higher for parks, rec centers, senior babysitting, lawn mowing around the bandshell, etc.

But, if you want to public to roll over and let you screw them on taxes, scare 'em with "no more cops or firefighters!"

06-06-2007, 10:18 PM
Excellent Point Guest.....

That is exactly why the cities are talking this way...

06-08-2007, 02:50 PM
I think the city should spend millions more tax dollars on property and buildings around the city. They can continue to pour millions more into renovations for what? Look at the old church across from Sanders, was that really needed? This city spends money on foolish things like the antique looking sign posts, but giving your safety people a raise? All over the city we have department heads with tons of assistants dept heads, then supervisors, then workers. This city creates positions at will, now cops and fire fighters are going to take the hit when the money is no longer around to use? I just don't understand

06-10-2007, 04:54 PM
NOT THAT I DISAGREE WITH MUCH OF WHAT HAS BEEN SAID BUT I DO KNOW THAT THE ANTIQUE STOP SIGN/STREET SIGN POST WERE THE RESULT OF A GRANT TO THE CITY. NOT AT CITY OR TAXPAYER EXPENSE.

06-10-2007, 05:02 PM
Not only does the the city government have too many superviors and sub-supervisors and sub-sub-supervisors but they are all over payed as are most of the administrators and department heads and a whole lot of positions at city hall. This is evidenced by the use of administrators to delve into the personal lives of worker bees and make big investigations out of nothing that was brought to their attention by a snitch seeking to get in their favor and not a one complaint from a citizen or a tax payer. The police department is a well known source of such over zelious witch hunts.

06-10-2007, 05:50 PM
NOT THAT I DISAGREE WITH MUCH OF WHAT HAS BEEN SAID BUT I DO KNOW THAT THE ANTIQUE STOP SIGN/STREET SIGN POST WERE THE RESULT OF A GRANT TO THE CITY. NOT AT CITY OR TAXPAYER EXPENSE.

Was that a grant from a private organization? I doubt it. You see, a Federal grant still came out of the taxpayers pockets. You can't look at JUST the local property taxes as an issue. We all pay at least three levels of taxes (Local Property, State & County Sales, FICA).

06-10-2007, 06:58 PM
Your right...The City of Pinellas Park should turn away federal grant money so that it can be used by our neighbors in Largo and St. Petersburg.

I may agree that the federal tax dollars should be used for more important things but the reality is if we didn't use the money, another city would. So if you want to complain, do so to your congressman or senator and stop posting nonsense on this board.

As for the enlightened one who posted that supervisors at PPPD are overpaid....Um...look at the studies that the FOP just completed...You will be proved wrong......

06-11-2007, 02:30 AM
Relax Sgt, read the post again, the post was towards admin at city hall not overpaid supervisors at the PD.

06-11-2007, 05:31 AM
Corrected I stand

06-13-2007, 03:03 PM
latest news is a resolution was developed and it will not effect public safety jobs. There will be no increase, but there won't be any cutbacks either. The new plan doesn't take effect until October.

I'm keeping fingers crossed that this means no hiring freezes.