PDA

View Full Version : employment questions

06-06-2007, 05:11 AM
Hello all, I am currently enrolled in the HCC academy to be graduating mid november I had a few questions refrence employment with your agency:

How strict is the residency radius? I live 5 miles outside of the residency radius and never expected to get a take home car. I am primary care giver to a disabled family member and cant move do you think they would let me slide?

How is the overtime and off duty work? Is there alot to go around?

Any help I can get would be great, thanks.

06-06-2007, 08:52 AM
There is a 20 mile radius for residency. Everyone has a take home car.

06-06-2007, 02:51 PM
Hello all, I am currently enrolled in the HCC academy to be graduating mid november I had a few questions refrence employment with your agency:

How strict is the residency radius? I live 5 miles outside of the residency radius and never expected to get a take home car. I am primary care giver to a disabled family member and cant move do you think they would let me slide?

How is the overtime and off duty work? Is there alot to go around?

Any help I can get would be great, thanks.

In the past, the residency radius was very strict. It led to one officer resigning. The radius was extended. If you are beyond the new radius, you need to contact the Dept directly (813-757-9200) and ask. Chances are you will be out of luck

Regarding overtime and off duty, there is little to go around except for certain times of the year (Strawberry Festival, Christmas Parade, etc.)

06-07-2007, 02:48 AM
Does everyone like the 12 hr. shift ? I have heard pro's and cons. Some think it's unhealthy and not good for the family. Some think an 8 hr. shift with one hr. to eat and one hr. to workout with a three day off once a month would be better. The 8 hr. shift could be 40 hrs. with 2 days off with a bonus of the three day off once a month, some departments are doing this.

06-07-2007, 03:03 AM
Does everyone like the 12 hr. shift ? I have heard pro's and cons. Some think it's unhealthy and not good for the family. Some think an 8 hr. shift with one hr. to eat and one hr. to workout with a three day off once a month would be better. The 8 hr. shift could be 40 hrs. with 2 days off with a bonus of the three day off once a month, some departments are doing this.

We had a 8.5 hour and a 9 hour shift here many years ago. It was terrible. It seemed like I was always tired, our days off changed individually, etc. One of the downfalls of a shift like the one you named is, you can't always guarantee a lunch break and many officers won't workout if you leave them in the gym for the entire 8 hr shift. In the end, you are at work for 50 hours and get paid for 40. While the 12 hour shift seems to drag at times, you get 15 days off a month versus 8. The 12 hour shift seems more family friendly to me.