PDA

View Full Version : PBA MEETING JUNE 5, 2007

06-06-2007, 01:38 AM
Sheriff Bradshaw was in attendance
$66,000 in scholarships awarded
Salary and benefits will conform to contracted issues for next budget year
5 significent cities have contacted PBSO for merger
Promotions will commence shortly (possible as early as next month)
All deferred comp will be switched to Hartford shortly
No transfer fees on above
Hiring freeze still in effect, but any vacancies caused by retirement, resignation, etc. will be filled. The additional 30 DS in budget still on hold
CP will be going back to district areas
School Resource Officers will be transferred to JAM unit and road patrol
Sheriff Bradshaw will not accept any campaign donations from employees of PBSO in the upcomming election. This will take any indications of the good old boy system away. This in itself shows the professionalism and dedication of Sheriff Bradshaw to our agency and his employees.

06-06-2007, 01:41 AM
See how easy that was for someone to post what happened at the meeting. Thank you for the information. Sheriff Bradshaw is a true leader and deserves our continued support. If we can't make monitary donations, we need to get the word out to the voters that he is our man. We must do what we can for this man. He has been very good to us and we have to repay him by getting him re-elected. He has my vote. I will do whatever this man asks. He is a true professional.

06-06-2007, 02:02 AM
See how easy that was for someone to post what happened at the meeting. Thank you for the information. Sheriff Bradshaw is a true leader and deserves our continued support. If we can't make monitary donations, we need to get the word out to the voters that he is our man. We must do what we can for this man. He has been very good to us and we have to repay him by getting him re-elected. He has my vote. I will do whatever this man asks. He is a true professional.

:idea: I TOTALLY AGREE, LET'S GET HIM RE-ELECTED.

THE PBA SHOULD HAVE POSTED THIS MEETING, OR WAS THIS A

SECRET MEETING?

I WOULD LIKE TO ATTEND, AND LISTEN TO THE SHERIFF MYSELF.

I HOPE THE ABOVE LISTED AGENDA IS TRUE. TOO BAD I HAVE TO

LEARN ABOUT IT THIRD PARTY, ON THIS THREAD. :?: :?: :?: :?:

06-06-2007, 02:55 AM
This was the best post to date. It was information that all have been waiting for with baited breath! Who ever posted this thread, thank you for doing something positive for the agency.

To all those who will read this thread, please keep only positive replies.

Tell all your friends theirs a new Sheriff in town and his name is Ric Bradshaw!!!

Be safe my brother and sisters of PBSO, including our Commo brother and sisters.

Regards
a pleased deputy

06-06-2007, 04:38 AM

SECRET MEETING?

The meeting was for the reps, elected/appointed and site. Not the membership. That's why we elect reps. They get the S/14 and pass it along to us. Guys/Gals, I know this union thing is kind of new; but ya'll better brush up on the by-laws and learn what you can and can't do. We CANNOT attend the quarterly meetings, again those are for the rep's, not us. I've read other postings on this site asking that we don't vote for our current president next time around. Guess what? We don't have to. He doesn't have to run. He gets elected by the reps, not the membership. So guess what? He's pretty much there for as long as he wants. The union is a good thing for us. Better for those in power. The by-laws were written to protect them. I have no problem with that. I don't care how much money K makes in OT or PBA salary/expense account along with his PBSO pay. As long as we keep getting better pay and benefits, he has my support.

06-06-2007, 01:21 PM
Sheriff Bradshaw was in attendance
$66,000 in scholarships awarded
Salary and benefits will conform to contracted issues for next budget year
5 significent cities have contacted PBSO for merger
Promotions will commence shortly (possible as early as next month)
All deferred comp will be switched to Hartford shortly
No transfer fees on above
Hiring freeze still in effect, but any vacancies caused by retirement, resignation, etc. will be filled. The additional 30 DS in budget still on hold
CP will be going back to district areas
School Resource Officers will be transferred to JAM unit and road patrol
Sheriff Bradshaw will not accept any campaign donations from employees of PBSO in the upcomming election. This will take any indications of the good old boy system away. This in itself shows the professionalism and dedication of Sheriff Bradshaw to our agency and his employees.

You forgot one very important issue: The Sheriff did say the list for promotions is golden and will be honored. So those on the list will be promototed and will not have to re-test.

06-06-2007, 03:08 PM
Anyone know those 5 agencies?

06-06-2007, 03:42 PM
The Sheriff is NOT going to promote the entire Sgts list. He promised to fill the vacancies that come open PRIOR to the end of the current list.
Example....If there are 25 vacancies for sgts, at the time the list expires, he promised to take those 25 from the existing list. Those left on the list would not automatically be promoted.

06-06-2007, 04:39 PM
Anyone know those 5 agencies?

I heard Lake Worth is a definite and we're also looking at Riviera Beach, but I don't know if their city is included in this set of 5.

06-06-2007, 04:58 PM

SECRET MEETING?

The meeting was for the reps, elected/appointed and site. Not the membership. That's why we elect reps. They get the S/14 and pass it along to us. Guys/Gals, I know this union thing is kind of new; but ya'll better brush up on the by-laws and learn what you can and can't do. We CANNOT attend the quarterly meetings, again those are for the rep's, not us. I've read other postings on this site asking that we don't vote for our current president next time around. Guess what? We don't have to. He doesn't have to run. He gets elected by the reps, not the membership. So guess what? He's pretty much there for as long as he wants. The union is a good thing for us. Better for those in power. The by-laws were written to protect them. I have no problem with that. I don't care how much money K makes in OT or PBA salary/expense account along with his PBSO pay. As long as we keep getting better pay and benefits, he has my support.

OK I UNDERSTAND THIS, BUT.......
IS WHAT YOUR SAYING A GOOD THING? HISTORICALLY, ABSOLUTE POWER CAN LEAD
TO ABSOULTE CORRUPTION.
I'M JUST THINKING OUT LOUD HERE, AND NO ONE TELLS US ANYTHING. NOT THE UNION REPS, OR THE UNION WEB SITE. OVERSIGHT KEEPS THAT IN CHECK.
I'M NOT SAYING ANYONE IS CORRUPT, BUT BACK DOOR DEALS, AND CLOSED MEETINGS MAKE THE MEMBERSHIP NERVOUS.
IT'S JUST THAT WE HAVE TO BE CAREFUL, AND
KEEP ASKING THE HARD QUESTIONS. I DON'T BELIEVE IN BLIND FAITH, ESPECIALLY WHEN IT COMES TO MONEY.
A LITTLE INFORMATION FROM OUR OWN REPS, UNION PREZ, OR THE PBA WEB SITE WOULD BE HELPFUL.

06-06-2007, 05:13 PM
[quote=Anonymous]See how easy that was for someone to post what happened at the meeting. Thank you for the information. Sheriff Bradshaw is a true leader and deserves our continued support. If we can't make monitary donations, we need to get the word out to the voters that he is our man. We must do what we can for this man. He has been very good to us and we have to repay him by getting him re-elected. He has my vote. I will do whatever this man asks. He is a true professional.

SECRET MEETING?

OK I UNDERSTAND THIS, BUT.......
IS WHAT YOUR SAYING A GOOD THING? HISTORICALLY, ABSOLUTE POWER CAN LEAD
TO ABSOULTE CORRUPTION.
I'M JUST THINKING OUT LOUD HERE, AND NO ONE TELLS US ANYTHING. NOT THE UNION REPS, OR THE UNION WEB SITE. OVERSIGHT KEEPS THAT IN CHECK.
I'M NOT SAYING ANYONE IS CORRUPT, BUT BACK DOOR DEALS, AND CLOSED MEETINGS MAKE THE MEMBERSHIP NERVOUS.
IT'S JUST THAT WE HAVE TO BE CAREFUL, AND
KEEP ASKING THE HARD QUESTIONS. I DON'T BELIEVE IN BLIND FAITH, ESPECIALLY WHEN IT COMES TO MONEY.
A LITTLE INFORMATION FROM OUR OWN REPS, UNION PREZ, OR THE PBA WEB SITE WOULD BE HELPFUL. [/quote:21ibug93]

All of what was said at the PBA meeting will be coming out in an outlook message for all you non-believers

06-06-2007, 11:04 PM
anyone know if the "Gangbusters" guys r going back to the road?

Also, this JAM unit; if u r selected for it, do u get a pay grade raise?

I don't understand how people got these positions without having to interview, etc?

06-07-2007, 12:39 AM
What is the JAM unit?? Never heard of it. My God, we are notorious for creating some ridiculous units to hide people.

06-07-2007, 01:15 AM
I forgot a few important things that also were discussed. I apologize.

The Sheriff is looking into purchasing Glock 40 caliber handguns for the entire agency. This would be your duty weapon. He is also looking into purchasing rifles for everyone. Some money has been received from the state for purchase of rifles.

In regard to the "five substancial agencies" there was no mention of city names due to contract negoiations. We can only speculate but the ones strongly rumored are Lake Worth, Greenacres, Palm Springs and Jupiter. Again these are just "strong rumors", nothing more. Other rumors have Delray Beach and Boynton Beach, but who knows. Merging services with cities is a win-win solution to law enforcement. I know there will be some people brought over with rank. We can all dispute the advantages and disadvantages of this. Fact is, having these agencies will create many opportunities, not only for us but for those officers comming over, in the future.

Again I apologize for not mentioning these items last night. The meeting was positive. I am discouraged the PBA website is not updated with this info, or an ALL USER message has not been sent at PBSO thus far. We really do need a better mechanism for union infor and news.

06-07-2007, 01:32 AM
JAM is an acronym for Juvenile Arrest Management (or something similar to this). The Deputies assigned to this unit will not get 5% speciality pay. This is an expanded SHOCAP program, that's all. The program can handle more juveniles and do more things. While this is a great program, it should be part of the Correction Dept responsibilities...much like the in-house arrest program, probation, etc.

06-07-2007, 01:49 AM
As far as mergers go. It is not always a win win for us. To get the contracts, we promise them more for their dollar. We increase the shift size they would normally go out with. And we guarantee it due to the contract. Then, when their shift is short due to sick call outs, training or what ever, they frequently pluck from the general district patrol. I have seen this happen with Lake Park, Royal Palm and Mangonia Park. So it leaves the district shift smaller. And each time we merge, many Deps are sent to the city as extras to make up the increase. How many guys were TDY'd to Belle Glade, Pahokee, Royal Palm and Mangonia Park? Lots of them! Not to mention that one or two of the western contracts fell way behind in their payments which screwed us. As far as the rank is concerned. What is the promotion process for these cities? Probably no where near as tough as the 6 month process we had to endure for Sgt. and Lt. If you were sitting near the top of those lists and all of a sudden several Sgt.s and Lt.s from a city get blessed in, you would not be feeling the positives of that move. A year of preparing for a promotion that someone else just got for free.

06-07-2007, 01:56 AM
J.A.M. Is Juvenile Assessment and Monitoring. The only change to this unit is the name. It was called Shocap, but they changed the name becuase that is what other sheriff agencies are calling it. Therefore our dept. wanted to stay in line with the other sheriff agencies. It's tracking juvenile criminals and it's now being utilized with the gang unit to help track gang members. It's almost like a juvenile tac team.

As for why it was never announced was because no one in the agency can transfer to another unit. So the dept. felt since the unit is under community services and they wanted to get it started right away they would use Deputies already in Community Services Division. This is where most of the SRO'S are going to work. They were informed if they didn't want to work in the unit then they could transfer back to the road.

06-07-2007, 01:56 AM
I forgot a few important things that also were discussed. I apologize.

The Sheriff is looking into purchasing Glock 40 caliber handguns for the entire agency. This would be your duty weapon. He is also looking into purchasing rifles for everyone. Some money has been received from the state for purchase of rifles.

In regard to the "five substancial agencies" there was no mention of city names due to contract negoiations. We can only speculate but the ones strongly rumored are Lake Worth, Greenacres, Palm Springs and Jupiter. Again these are just "strong rumors", nothing more. Other rumors have Delray Beach and Boynton Beach, but who knows. Merging services with cities is a win-win solution to law enforcement. I know there will be some people brought over with rank. We can all dispute the advantages and disadvantages of this. Fact is, having these agencies will create many opportunities, not only for us but for those officers comming over, in the future.

Again I apologize for not mentioning these items last night. The meeting was positive. I am discouraged the PBA website is not updated with this info, or an ALL USER message has not been sent at PBSO thus far. We really do need a better mechanism for union infor and news.

THANKS FOR THE UPDATES. PBA NEEDS TO WORK ON INFO SHARING.

06-07-2007, 02:06 AM
You obviously don't understand how contracts are handled. The city pays for the number of deputies they contract for. We have added additional deputies to handle the initial problems at our expense. This is not a constant. The contracts for the western cities was complicated. We did not hire many of their officers due to the fact they were substandard to say the least. PBSO had to compensate for this and put deputies in the cities to abide by the contract. These same three cities have failed to abide by their monetary obligations which has resulted in PBSO funding them. This is essentially the same if the city would simply abolish their police dept. PBSO would have to staff a police dept. This is state law. As for the three western cities, if they continue to forfeit on their monetary obligation, PBSO can ask the county commissioners to intervene. This means the county could go to Tallahassee and ask for their city charters to be revoked. This will be done in time. Either way PBSO is required to staff the cities.
Now on to the present cities expressing interest. They have been advised any costs of training their officers to come up to PBSO standards and any costs of staffing in addition to what they provide, would be born by the city. PBSO has learned from their mistakes. All new contracts will be much better. This was a learning experience for all.
Promotions....some cities have strigent exams as we have endured during the last promotion process which took eight months of our lives. It is not fair for a long term supervisor of a city to loose his rank just because the city no longer can fund the agency and it is taken over. Imagine if it were the other way and cities were annexing everything and PBSO was getting smaller. You would want the same considerations. Merging with cities is a great thing. We will not see all the advantages right now, but will in the future. There will be more promotions, more investigative openings, etc. Don't be short sighted on this. It is a win-win situation for all. I can feel your pain about the promtion process as I too am on the waiting list. But let's look at the whole picture, not just to the end of our own noses. Support the Sheriff and support the mergers. This is all another step to a metropolitian police department.

06-07-2007, 03:48 AM
You obviously don't understand how contracts are handled. The city pays for the number of deputies they contract for. We have added additional deputies to handle the initial problems at our expense. This is not a constant. The contracts for the western cities was complicated. We did not hire many of their officers due to the fact they were substandard to say the least. PBSO had to compensate for this and put deputies in the cities to abide by the contract. These same three cities have failed to abide by their monetary obligations which has resulted in PBSO funding them. This is essentially the same if the city would simply abolish their police dept. PBSO would have to staff a police dept. This is state law. As for the three western cities, if they continue to forfeit on their monetary obligation, PBSO can ask the county commissioners to intervene. This means the county could go to Tallahassee and ask for their city charters to be revoked. This will be done in time. Either way PBSO is required to staff the cities.
Now on to the present cities expressing interest. They have been advised any costs of training their officers to come up to PBSO standards and any costs of staffing in addition to what they provide, would be born by the city. PBSO has learned from their mistakes. All new contracts will be much better. This was a learning experience for all.
Promotions....some cities have strigent exams as we have endured during the last promotion process which took eight months of our lives. It is not fair for a long term supervisor of a city to loose his rank just because the city no longer can fund the agency and it is taken over. Imagine if it were the other way and cities were annexing everything and PBSO was getting smaller. You would want the same considerations. Merging with cities is a great thing. We will not see all the advantages right now, but will in the future. There will be more promotions, more investigative openings, etc. Don't be short sighted on this. It is a win-win situation for all. I can feel your pain about the promtion process as I too am on the waiting list. But let's look at the whole picture, not just to the end of our own noses. Support the Sheriff and support the mergers. This is all another step to a metropolitian police department.

Very well said, and very accurate. Thank you for spreading the truth

06-07-2007, 05:24 AM

Ditto. Very well written. This is the kind of info that should be posted on this site. Not the venom spewing hatred of the minority. I agree that merging is a positive. There will be far more promotions due to merging. Ask any Broward deputy, they will tell you the same. Their unincorporated area continues to shrink, but their agency continues to grow.

Very well said, and very accurate. Thank you for spreading the truth

06-07-2007, 05:57 AM
Great take over more departments I cant get the amount of details I need now thats what I need another 500 hungry cops....Bring my pay up. The Sheriff feels I should get $28.00 working at a gas station watching people cash pay checks....but when I work the road protecting the citizens I am worth only $21.00...go ahead and bring more people in I'm ready to declare bankruptcy.

06-07-2007, 10:28 PM
40's for everyone???? I see people at in-service who can't hit THE BURM with a 38 or "wonder 9"......what the heck are they gonna do with a 40......And with a budget crunch, they wanna buy us guns??? That will cost a BUNDLE

06-07-2007, 11:49 PM
I want everyone to know there is a group of well organized individuals that operate nationally trying to catch cops doing something wrong. They have a website entitled policeabuse.org They will approach a deputy/sergeant/etc and ask to get a complaint form to report an employee of your agency. They are video taping this encounter. They have been in New York, Philly, Miami, Broward County and have caught some very unpleasant exchanges. Please be aware that any encounter now a days may be video and/or audio taped. Sergeants and above are suppose to have the complaint form readily available and can furnish the forms when requested. Deputies should refer the individuals to a supervisor or even have the supervisor meet them. Do not ask what the complaint is about because they are looking for an altercation. Once this happens they sue, and post the video on their site for all to see. Remember to be pleasant at all times, even to the most disrespectful person out there. You could be taped. FYI/PBSO has been tested several times and has passed each time without any problems.
Keep up the great work out there and be safe!

06-08-2007, 12:09 AM
Thanks for the heads up. We appreciate someone who actually posts positive things and just doesn't complain and whine as has been said. Thanks again for all the information.

06-08-2007, 12:36 AM
Great info for a change.

My point of contention is that I have to come here to get any scuttlebutt.

Here's an idea we can run up the flag pole.

Why doesn't the apps page have a page where the Sheriff or who ever else can pass the word. It would help dispell rumors and keep the shenanigans in forums like this to a minimum.

In the Marines we had a simialr thing call ALMAR messages.

the army, i'm sure has something similar but it probably came with a medal or a ribbon.

the navy delivered their messages in flag semiphore, none of them ever understood.

the air force had their system on the in house air conditioned cable tv access channel that airmen cold access from thier lazyboys.

just a thought.

06-08-2007, 01:34 AM
I concur with my fellow Marine, Mr. Jarhead. Lets place this on APPS page.

06-08-2007, 03:08 AM
The glock 40's will all be issued this weapon or will current be aloud to keep what they carry currently??????

I spent alot money on my weapon and would hate not to be able to carry it.

06-09-2007, 07:53 PM
Great info for a change.

My point of contention is that I have to come here to get any scuttlebutt.

Here's an idea we can run up the flag pole.

Why doesn't the apps page have a page where the Sheriff or who ever else can pass the word. It would help dispell rumors and keep the shenanigans in forums like this to a minimum.

In the Marines we had a simialr thing call ALMAR messages.

the army, i'm sure has something similar but it probably came with a medal or a ribbon.

the navy delivered their messages in flag semiphore, none of them ever understood.

the air force had their system on the in house air conditioned cable tv access channel that airmen cold access from thier lazyboys.

just a thought.

The only problem with this is that everybody knows marines can't read...