PDA

View Full Version : budget cuts

06-04-2007, 02:00 AM
Ok everyone. We all read in the paper that the property tax vote could mean 35 full time spots that get axed. If the worst comes true and we have to cut people, does anyone know how the layoffs will be chosen? will it be mostly office help or will a lot of deputies be out on the streets also???????????? :shock:

06-04-2007, 11:29 AM
It is not going to happen.... Don't sweat it.

06-05-2007, 01:59 AM
what if that property tax bill passes??????? then what happens???? Other SO's are talking about cutting staff if the bill passes. Why should we be any different. does the county have extra money hidden somewhere we dont know about???????

06-05-2007, 02:18 AM
Don't worrt chicken the sky is not falling....

06-14-2007, 02:05 AM
nugent needs to clean out some brass and use 1 major ...cut the fat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

06-14-2007, 12:58 PM
it needs to be done- but he would rather cut deputies to save the money over cutting his high level staff. i feel sorry for the deputies that were just hired. They dont know that this special session in congress could mean their jobs. I hope they dont pass that property tax law.

06-29-2007, 02:54 AM
Check out this little tidbit from a recent article in the Hernando today. It is about the budget crunch we are facing. Pay special attention to he very last sentence-----

"Commissioners have been guarded about speculating on what services will face the budget ax.

All commissioners, that is, except Chairman Jeff Stabins, who recently ticked off a laundry list of cuts he advocates.

Stabins said the county will be forced to do away with: THE Bus, Hernando County’s five-year-old public transportation system. Critics already believe THE Bus is not worth the approximately $600,000 to county dishes out annually for the service.

Also on the chopping block, if Stabins has his way, is the planned $1.5 million expansion of the county’s cooperate extension office and the Regional Enrichment Center special needs shelter.

The county’s recently instituted hiring freeze should remain in effect, he said.

Stabins said it may also be necessary to charge residents more user fees at local parks and other services. He is also suggesting a freeze on all new vehicle purchases.

Stabins also called for Sheriff Richard Nugent to “take another hard look at his budget” during this critical time."

Maybe they should cut STARCOM and Character First to help with the budget crunch. But theyll probably just cut deputy spots instead. The next few weeks should be very interesting.

07-11-2007, 12:33 PM
Way too many chiefs at Hernando SO. Cut back to 2 districts (east -west) and eliminate a LT. several SGT's and support staff. Cut out STARCOM and its support staff and just have Command staff meetings. Get rid of those stupid Charactor books. and thats just a good start......

07-12-2007, 11:11 PM
Amen to that!!!!!

07-18-2007, 11:07 PM
Some of you sound like a bunch of communist. No upward mobility needed. Pay everyone the same. New deputies need to be paid just like guys that have worked their whole lives. Lt's and Sgt's didn't work to get their stripes and let alone a Major. Heck let's reward them for their service by firing them. Communist run rapid among us.

Maybe we pay deputies too much and they are so satisfied that they don't want to move up the ladder?

I think you all need to give morethought to your firing positions. Fat runs along many lines - like those who are not physically fit and those who aren't ready for promotions to command. Like those who take the test and only make a 38. And what about those that don't take the promotion test at all cause they would rather throw rocks and fire leaders than lazy followers.

07-19-2007, 09:44 AM
Um, which side are u on??? From your post I cant tell.

07-25-2007, 09:43 AM
me too!