PDA

View Full Version : Thank God this didn't happen here!

05-31-2007, 09:46 PM
((From Bay News 9))

Boy Killed by Colliding Cruisers in Pa.
Thursday, May 31, 2007
E-mail this story | Print

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By MICHAEL RUBINKAM
ALLENTOWN, Pa. (AP) -- As the out-of-control police cruiser hurtled toward them Wednesday night, Crystal Lagrande grabbed her two youngest children and took cover behind a wall.

Lagrande's boyfriend snatched up her eldest, a 4-year-old boy named Daviay, trying to reach safety, too, but they couldn't escape.

The patrol car struck them, killing Daviay Lagrande and shattering the boyfriend's legs. Furious residents later massed at the crash scene and threw bottles and rocks at police.

On Thursday, Mayor Ed Pawlowski apologized to the family, took responsibility for the crash and said the city would pay the family's funeral expenses.

"I want to express my deepest condolences and our most sincere apologies," he said at a news conference. "I'm a parent myself. I can't even imagine the pain they're going through."

Two officers _ one a rookie, the other an eight-year veteran _ had been responding to the same report of a man with a gun when their cruisers collided at a downtown intersection. One of the cruisers slid onto the sidewalk, just a half-block from Lagrande's home.

Crystal Lagrande remembers the car coming toward them, said her uncle, David Jones, a family spokesman.

"She grabbed the baby in the stroller, and she grabbed the daughter and ran to the other side of the wall," Jones said. "Her boyfriend grabbed Daviay and tried to move away, but couldn't."

Another witness, Crystal Spearman, said: "First you heard the sirens, then you heard the tires screech, then you heard the bang. The little boy was laying there, severed in half."

The boyfriend, Jason Marcella, 20, was hospitalized, but police said his injuries were not life-threatening.

Jones said he believes it's clear that police are culpable. "If you have two police cars speeding to the same scene, and there's no recognition that they're both approaching the same intersection, obviously something's wrong," he said.

Witnesses said one of the cruisers had a green light, the other a red light. Police Chief Roger McClean said departmental rules and state law allow officers to run red lights with caution when responding to a possible crime scene.

"Obviously, officers have to proceed to any incident with care," he said.

Residents tossed bottles and rocks at police and cursed at them following the accident, which took place in a poor, heavily minority neighborhood where tensions with police have run high. Several clergy members were called in to help restore order.

"It was an incredibly tense situation last night," Pawlowski said.

Lehigh County District Attorney Jim Martin asked residents for "patience and an open mind" as he determines whether to file charges against the officers. They were placed on paid leave pending the results of state police and internal investigations.

Pawlowski said the officers, whose names were not released, "of course are devastated, as everyone here is at the city."

So, too, is Crystal Lagrande.

"She's lost a child and she's going to carry that for the rest of her life," Jones said.

(This version CORRECTS the last name of the victim to Lagrande, not Lagrand.)

05-31-2007, 11:32 PM
That is clearly a tragic event. Noone ever wants to see an innocent victim hurt or killed, but as usual blame is placed entirely on the police. My guess is if there wasn't a minority person in the minority neighborhood with the gun, the police would not have had to be responding to the scene.

Black on Black crime needs to be addressed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

06-02-2007, 04:42 PM
You are right. Had the child been killed by a couiple of young jitterbugs in a stolen vehicle, no would say anything about it. It reminds me of a call on 31 St S years ago. A two year old, unsupervised, walked in front of a oncoming southbound vehicle and was struck after only 11 feet of skids were layed down. The people who were supposed to be watching the kid show up and drag the middle aged white woman out of her car and beat her to a pulp. Same ignorant dumba$$ mentality. You can't reason with ignorance and anyone or group that has NEVER accepted responsibility for their actions as a group.

06-02-2007, 05:33 PM
You are right. Had the child been killed by a couiple of young jitterbugs in a stolen vehicle, no would say anything about it. It reminds me of a call on 31 St S years ago. A two year old, unsupervised, walked in front of a oncoming southbound vehicle and was struck after only 11 feet of skids were layed down. The people who were supposed to be watching the kid show up and drag the middle aged white woman out of her car and beat her to a pulp. Same ignorant dumba$$ mentality. You can't reason with ignorance and anyone or group that has NEVER accepted responsibility for their actions as a group.

Careful where you're going with this....Although the truth hurts...be careful.

Because intended ignorance does not want to see the truth.

http://www.inpdum.org/index.shtml

06-06-2007, 09:56 PM
2 police officers involved in a motor vehicle accident and the story doesn't mention their condition.