PDA

View Full Version : Boynton Beach Fails to curb gang problem

05-28-2007, 10:36 PM
Boynton Beach fails to curb gang problem

By Erika Pesantes
South Florida Sun-Sentinel
Posted May 28 2007

Boynton Beach · The city has made several attempts to curb the gang violence that has gripped Palm Beach County.

Following the fatal Christmas Eve shooting inside the Boynton Beach Mall, officials publicly recognized the gang presence and scrambled to find ways to stop the killings. They held meetings, encouraged other cities to be more proactive and even passed a loitering ordinance aimed at keeping gang members from gathering.

LocalLinks

But the city has little to show for its efforts.

No one has been arrested under the new ordinance since it was instituted April 17, a proposal to hire a gang expert has fizzled, and the flurry of anti-gang activity has not yielded results.

During the Jan. 16 commission meeting, Henderson Tillman, chairman of the city's Community Redevelopment Agency, proposed hosting an anti-violence summit. The CRA also considered budgeting $250,000 to hire a gang expert and a conflict resolution consultant. But the summit was never held and the money was not earmarked.

Tillman said the agency is looking for the city's guidance for a coordinated effort.

"I know the city has stepped up efforts to do what they can within a targeted area," he said. "Right now, I think they're taking the lead."

City manager Kurt Bressner organized a closed-door meeting Jan. 23 and invited city managers and police chiefs of neighboring Delray Beach, Lantana and Lake Worth.

Another meeting was held Feb. 14. An inventory of youth programs hosted by these cities was compiled. The list shows 39 programs, ranging from Delray Beach's Irish dancing classes to Boynton Beach's The Links Junior Golf School.

Bressner said he has not followed up with these cities, in an e-mailed response. And he also said, "We are treading lightly on any new program initiatives until we have a better indication of the impact of property tax cuts."

Mayor Jerry Taylor said other cities "don't seem to be quite taken with" anti-gang efforts.

Meanwhile, the city has partnered with the county's Criminal Justice Commission to create the youth violence prevention program that targets at-risk teens. The city also plans to apply for the Weed and Seed program, which could award the city up to $1 million in U.S. Department of Justice grants.

On April 13, Taylor called his own meeting of mayors that included State Rep. Maria Sachs, D-Delray Beach, and officials from Boca Raton, Lantana, Delray Beach and Lake Worth.

Taylor encouraged these cities adopt similar loitering laws aimed at gang members. So far, none have followed suit, Bressner said.

05-29-2007, 01:07 AM
Why is this on the PBSO board?

05-29-2007, 06:48 PM
Why are more than 60 Gangbuster Deputies patrolling the Cities of Riviera, West Palm, Lake Worth, and Boynton??? I guess unincorporated PBC doesn't have a GANG PROBLEM (OOPS I meant Suspended DL's)

05-29-2007, 07:14 PM
Why are more than 60 Gangbuster Deputies patrolling the Cities of Riviera, West Palm, Lake Worth, and Boynton??? I guess unincorporated PBC doesn't have a GANG PROBLEM (OOPS I meant Suspended DL's)

Because the majority of gangs are within the city limits, not all but the majority. I've attended numerous gang meetings with city officals who claim their city doesn't have a gang problem. Therefore someone has to step to the plate and address these issues, hence operation gang buster. Who cares where they patrol, we have county jurisdiction!

06-02-2007, 03:21 AM
Boynton Beach Police couldn't find an elephant at the zoo. They need to be taken over by PBSO to finally end the good ol boy system that has been in place forever there.

06-04-2007, 09:23 PM
Boynton Beach Police couldn't find an elephant at the zoo. They need to be taken over by PBSO to finally end the good ol boy system that has been in place forever there.

Why is Boynton PD disliked by you guys?

06-17-2007, 07:58 PM
check this out .....signal 4 at caloosa park(d4)..i go code ...i get there there 8 BBPD cars including sgt. and LT. BBFR is also on scene.. the min i walk over to a group of BBPD officers they said nothing...got in there cars and fled faster then the ****roaches on Casa del monte. Well the body/7 and bike lay just inside the park by about 30 feet but the POI was in the city...even according to our VHI sgt. who knows a thing or about wrecks...But at our req. there VHI guy showed up a 2nd time (bc i recognized him from the 1st time ...****erroach) and satated ...im not afraid to take paper ! it not ours its the SO..even though i havent taken any traffic classes i could see a 1/3 inch groove in the pavment left from the pegs of the bike 100 feet into the city..But we are the Sheriffs Office. We are the Biggest, we have the most resources, and we are the most Efficent Law Enforcment Agency in the County and one of the top in country...so we took it....MY home state is 1200 miles away and PBSO is known up there....no not NY we dont like NY yankees