PDA

View Full Version : The Lely 9 "Prank"

Paparazzi LEO
05-25-2007, 12:41 AM
I saw this posted today in the NDN under Letters to the Editor. It was sent from one of our own. Great letter and thought more should read it!

Personally I believe that the School Board has just created a big mess for us with the graduating class of 2008; an open invitation to destroy school property and trespass on school grounds after hours. I hope no one gets hurt as a result of this liberal policy.

What are your thoughts?

Then what?

Editor, Daily News:

Imagine this for a moment if you will:

Three masked men are observed by an off-duty deputy trying to exit a public high school at 1 a.m.

The deputy, thinking that this is just a high-school prank, as it has been in the past, decides not to take action.

The next day, those same three students arrive at school and retrieve numerous semi-automatic weapons hidden throughout the campus. There is now nothing to stop their plan of terror prior to the final days of school. Naples is now the next city to suffer a horrific event in which students were murdered.

The media learns that the deputy, the night before, saw those students and chose not to act because in the past it was just a high-school prank.
How would our community and nation react?

Luckily this was not the situation. Bravo that the off-duty deputy chose to get involved. Thank you, Collier County Sheriff’s Office, for taking school security serious even if the principal does not.

Since 9/11 and the shootings at Columbine High School in Colorado, times are not the same. We as a society must learn to accept this and change our thinking and actions accordingly. Failure to do so will result in continued violence against the innocent.

I understand what the kids were trying to do was innocent in nature, but in today’s world of violence and twisted beliefs, innocence will not protect you or your loved ones. The School Board and teachers should use this situation as an example in teaching our children why it is so important to think about the consequences of our actions.

High school is more than learning about history; it is also about preparing our children for the future, no matter how innocent it used to be.

Dwaine Parker/Naples

05-25-2007, 12:46 AM
Dwayne, you are right on. I think the situation was handled properly by the CCSO deputy at the school, but I also think that the students should be dealt with civilally at this point. Should they have been detained, absolutely. Did the deputy use good discretion, yes he did. I just think that it is a shame these kids will not walk at the their graduation over a prank eventually determined to be unharmful.

05-25-2007, 08:59 PM
Is the law...THE LAW... or not? If it isn't, we should call it "Florida State Suggestions" (F.S.S.). In this case, the prosecution should move forward. The elements of the crime are clearly met. That is what a jury of citizens is for. If 6 or 12 hard working, tax paying citizens (I know I know....) see it as harmless, then they can acquit the fine little future role models. LEO's are left out to dry when the Florida State Suggestions are twisted by personal needs. What if a response to resistance had been required....what then??

"Entitlement...will be the death of this country"

05-25-2007, 10:08 PM
great caesar's ghost....relax

Curios George
05-26-2007, 03:27 AM
In this article, the Principle of Lely speaks of the seniors who were banned from attending graduation as if they were some sort of hero’s. He speaks as if they were the victims of this crime. I may be old fashion but his attitude and actions are only encouraging students to continue this type of behavior. If he had any ounce of responsibility he should have made a statement indicating that the “Prank” was innocent in nature but the reality of it was dangerous and uncalled for. He missed his chance to be a leader and a mentor.

Again, we have a situation which is being judged after the fact based on intent. The law applying to all citizens does not waiver with intent or from the lack of knowledge of the statutes we enforce. As the other poster stated, that is a job for a jury of your peers not ours, the SAO or the School Board.

This is the same thing that happened to the Hillsborough deputy who arrested the fleeing driver who later proclaimed she was a victim because her father had a heart attack three hours earlier and was already admitted in the hospital. The only difference is that our deputy did not get a 5 day suspension.

The world of law enforcement and accountability the way we knew it is changing for the worse. I just hope the same latitude is given to us when our intent was to enforce the law the way it was intended.

http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2007/may ... aking_news (http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2007/may/25/lely_principal_makes_note_7_seniors_banned_graduat/?breaking_news)

05-26-2007, 05:13 AM
Agreed, but I do not think the kids (as long as they are not documented criminals, which I believe they are not) should be prosecuted fully. When I said agreed, I do not believe this should be turned around and the suspects be looked at as victims. They were out of line, committed a felony offense occording to state statue. Lets remember that we (CCSO) did the right thing and arrested the kids. I am only pointing out the SAO should use discretion, as they already did, and chalk this up to a prank gone bad. Great job CCSO members involved, I back your judgement 100 percent.

Paradise
05-26-2007, 05:54 AM
Q: Out of everything that has happened, what has taken place that will act as a deterrent to keep this from happening again?

A: Nothing

Opinion: If the law or punishment can not act as a deterrent then the system has failed.

05-26-2007, 05:56 AM
Guest10 - You say that this was a prank gone bad. What made it go bad? The fact that they were caught?

05-26-2007, 03:41 PM
Paradise,
Kids (high schoolers) were arrested, booked into jail, parents called, names posted in the Newspapers, names aired on the news at 10 and 11 o'clock, kicked out of graduation ceremonies, and I could probably go on for a while. I would say that is one hell of a deterant.
Cupid,
It was a prank gone bad. Do you believe these kids meant to cause permanent damage? I doubt it. As reported, the mess was cleaned up before the start of school that same morning. Had windows been broke (like another place), property damaged beyond the easy fix which occurred, or it placed students, teachers, staff in danger...I would not be disputing some of your thoughts. The worst part of this mess was the Deputy having been awaken to people with ski masks on and the possibillity of an officer safety issue (thank God know one got hurt, especially the deputy).
If anyone has information about these kids, such as previous criminal history, attitudes of the kids involved, ect, I would like to know. Let me note, I am not defending the kids here, I am merely noting that I would not agree with a full prosecution of these kids for the crime committted. The information I have so far points to a bunch of good kids doing something really stupid. Lucky the Deputy on scene had a calm, cool, collected mind when this went down. These kids may have been killed had a deputy believed something other than a prank was happening.

Paradise
05-26-2007, 04:44 PM
A Prank is a Prank right?

Then I guess those who are joking around prior to getting on a commercial flight at an airport should not be prosecuted for stating they have a bomb in their luggage. Especially if they are good citizens with no history of arrest.

As the other person stated on here I guess we need to revise the FSS to include "Harmless Prank" as a non-criminal act which punishment must be limited to your name posted on TV and the newspaper.

As for the Lely 9, having all the media attention was not a deterrent but boasted them to celebrity status. If not then why would the Principle and fellow students cheer them on when the cameras were watching?

George has it right, I hope everyone is as forgiving if I ever make a mistake. After all, I have never been arrested before and would never intentionally harm anyone or thing.

I'm done with this subject...Vote Republican :)

05-26-2007, 05:42 PM
I am done with this subject as well, and I will be sure to always vote Republican :!: Everyone be safe over this weekend. Remember, because we may agree to disagree, or just disagree all together, it doesn't change the fact we will ALWAYS support our own if they do the right thing.

05-26-2007, 08:05 PM
Paradise,
Right on with your posts!!!! We have stopped being a nation or community of citizens and started being a country of individuals. When mommy and daddy stop teaching their children about accepting responsibility for their actions, then we end up with this shat!!!!!!
Whatever happened to 'do the crime, do the time!' Harmless prank? What about the taxpayers money that goes to clean up the prank? Couldn't that be used for additional supplies or for something to benefit all students?

Paradise
05-26-2007, 11:09 PM
Thanks for the debate Guest10. It is always a pleasure :)

Stay safe as well.

Thanks for the support Couldbe :!:

Until nextime...

05-28-2007, 01:44 PM
Could Be,
I guess we'll just have to adapt to these ever so changing times and worry about the kids pushing drugs through the schools, or participating in gang activity, or breaking into our houses. I would much rather prosecute someone that is giving our kids guns and drugs than putting the true scholar and athlete in jail that would never harm you or I.

05-28-2007, 06:57 PM
prosecute them all i say, and then goose step back to the puzzle palace

06-02-2007, 07:06 PM
Guest,
I'm not saying give the kids the death penalty, but what about their actions? No, they didn't kill anyone but they still broke the law. What message is this sending to them to let them go? Not marching in graduation? Please, the only time I ever walked at a graduation was during my academy days.... I had to or wouldn't have.... I have three college degrees and just told the administration, send me my diplomas...
The fact is, the deputy saw them called it in, the kids did damage and you have all the manpower and time put in by CCSO. That's a lot of money wasted!!!!!!!!! Doesn't make any sense. At least make mommy and daddy reimburse the school board and CCSO!!!!!! Or even better, make the kids spend some of their summer working for them to make amends.. All I'm saying is if there is no consequences for thier actions, what have they learned?

06-03-2007, 07:24 AM
They learned to get a job with a political organization so that you never have to answer for your wrong doing's.

06-03-2007, 11:37 AM
retnuh, is that you up there in disguise?

06-04-2007, 12:45 AM
no.