PDA

View Full Version : employment

05-24-2007, 03:56 PM
I'm a retired policeman from a non-Florida jurisdiction. However, I retired for medical reasons. The primary limitation that I had centered around shift work. I'm interested in knowing if I can still be employed by your agency. Any help would be appreciated.

05-24-2007, 04:27 PM
Not sure what your medical situation is, but all I can say is get an application on line, and see how it goes. If there are no real physical limitations there should be no problem. Remember we are a law enforcement agency and require the same qualities as any other department. The only thing different is we mainly work through out the day, and have weekends off, along with holidays and most of the summer. If you are looking for a job that pays good, look elsewhere. Good Luck.

05-24-2007, 05:00 PM
I see your point. Perhaps, I can re-word it a different way. Do you have any officers currently in your employ that are on a disabilty pension from another state?

05-24-2007, 11:09 PM
we have many that probably should be, but not sure.

05-25-2007, 12:02 AM
I see, perhaps someone could check on this. I would appreciated it.
I wish to relocate to Florida in about a year.

05-25-2007, 10:48 AM
There are some officers on disability but each case is looked at seperate. There is no way to advise you if you would be accepted. Put an application in and see. That is the best advice I can give.

05-25-2007, 02:02 PM
When will hiring start once the school year ends ? Thanks.

05-25-2007, 02:46 PM
Do not the answer to that, I do know 26 officers have applications with the Sheriff's office so there should be pleanty of positions available by Sept.

05-25-2007, 03:36 PM
Remember PBSO is on a hiring freeze. And when the Property tax proposal goes through in June /July ,most of the deputies working different areas will be placed back on the road. Didn't mean to rain on anyone's parade.

05-25-2007, 05:49 PM
I guess you don't know anyone in PBSO. But the only thing that was frozen was the 30 new deputies for the Boynton BEach Substation. All current positions are still being processed (40 position available). Sorry to put up the umbrella on your rain. But our parade is still going strong.

05-26-2007, 01:33 PM
There is a freeze on hiring ANYONE right now at PBSO does not matter where, its within the agency period. Unless of course you know someone or something like that. They are looking at taking Deputies from the schools and CP and placing them on the road instead of hiring new ones.
At least for this year

06-01-2007, 11:16 PM
I'm a retired policeman from a non-Florida jurisdiction. However, I retired for medical reasons. The primary limitation that I had centered around shift work. I'm interested in knowing if I can still be employed by your agency. Any help would be appreciated.

You got to know that if you retired for medical reasons from your previous agency, you might want to do a little more research on our agency. I say this because, if your medical reason was based on the fact that you were limited in your job performance as an officer (normal physical duties i.e. Physical arrests, possibly tussling with a perp) you would really have to rethink being hired with us. You might be assigned to a school that resembles the street environment and going into a position like that with a medical condition can be a potentially hazardous situation, for you and your coworkers. Just know that, just because we’re school police officers, it does not mean your job as a police officer is easier than that of an officer on the road. Besides, there’s a very big misconception about our agency and what we do. The main difference is that we are assigned to a smaller area than that of an officer whose jurisdiction is the whole city itself. So with that said, I reiterate,…..Do some digging before you get here. Good Luck!!! :) :)

06-05-2007, 06:25 PM
Here is facts about PBSO, yes there is freeze but only until october. The sheriff is only reviewing applicants on critical need basis right know. He is waiting for the budget issue to be resolved and after that he will resume hiring new deputies. Another is he is currently finishing the final contract issues for the merger with lake worth, PD. As far as CP and other units hitting the streets is they already are, but the manpower still is short and according to our sheriff his going to need and additional 40 deputies apart from the 30-35 human resources is currently waiting to complete their proccess.

Listen to when I say if your guys are planning to leave school police for PBSO rest assure if they qualify they will be VERY, VERY, VERY happy here. We've hired a few of you guys.

Good Luck, to all and I hope things work out for the current school police officers who will be staying!

06-26-2007, 04:12 PM
There are 6 of us that are hired with start date of 7-27-07. Bradshaw stated that he can no longer freeze deputies for public safety concerns. There will be a group going every month until all positions are filled!