PDA

View Full Version : Change work hours to 8.5

05-23-2007, 09:02 PM
I'd like to take apoll to see how many guys and girls would like to go back to 8.5 hour work schedules. a posted article stated that officer safety becomes an issue after 9 hours. The article states that after 9 hours officers become too tried to handle stressful situations and may cause injury or even death to officers. A poll was taken five years ago and the majority stated they wanted to go back to 8.5 hours but Beluich said no!

Oh, and this is not P writing this it's a deputy who would like to spend more time with his wife and small children. Not other peoples families in Westagte, Lake Worth Corridor Etc.

If enough people voice their concerns, I'll take this web page to the PBA.

05-23-2007, 09:13 PM
I'd like to take apoll to see how many guys and girls would like to go back to 8.5 hour work schedules. a posted article stated that officer safety becomes an issue after 9 hours. The article states that after 9 hours officers become too tried to handle stressful situations and may cause injury or even death to officers. A poll was taken five years ago and the majority stated they wanted to go back to 8.5 hours but Beluich said no!

Oh, and this is not P writing this it's a deputy who would like to spend more time with his wife and small children. Not other peoples families in Westagte, Lake Worth Corridor Etc.

If enough people voice their concerns, I'll take this web page to the PBA.

Sorry i'll keep my 4 on 4 off and spend time with my family that way! However I wouldn't mind a 10 hours shift with 4 on 3 off.

05-23-2007, 11:19 PM
4 ON 3 OFF 10 HOUR SHIFTS 10-4 10--4 10-4

05-24-2007, 01:55 AM
Flush out your head gear new guy.

8.5, it means two days off per week or 8 per month.

11.5 means 15 days off per month, comp one day a month and you have twice as many days off to do what you like.

8.5 means permanent days off. If you'll volunteer to take permanent Monday and tuesday you've got a deal. Been there, it blew.

Possibly best schedule we had was back in 98-99. 9.5 or 10 hrs, can't remeber exactly, rotating days off, every weekend a three day weekend.

05-24-2007, 12:15 PM
I love this schedule. I work 15 days a month and I'm off 15 days a month. Plus we have every other weekend off. Thats plenty of time off to spend with the wife and kids. Do the math.

05-24-2007, 01:14 PM
I LOVE my 4 on/4 off or go to the 4on/3off, that is the ONLY other schedule I'll consider. Gives me more time with my family than any other.

Ghostrider
05-24-2007, 01:18 PM
At times I feel like I have too much time off......Wait,, strike that,, I can never have too much time off. :lol:

05-24-2007, 06:30 PM
At times I feel like I have too much time off......Wait,, strike that,, I can never have too much time off. :lol:

LEAVE THE SCHEDULE ALONE.....I AGREE WITH THIS GUY

05-25-2007, 05:44 AM
the 8.5 hour shift was 5 on 2 off/ 5 on 3 off not a straight 5/2
you had DAILY time to rest, go to school, work out, help kids with schoolwork, go to the park etc. and it linked up with the spouses schedule that is 8 hours at every other job but this. The ONLY good thing about the 11.5 is the days off but thats a problem all by itself. The days off are all that anyone cares about. The dayshift people start milking everything at about 1530 hours either by self preservation or because enough guys have been burned by this schedule to know how to get off on time. Why should a deputy's kid be the last kid picked up from daycare or school ?
Back when we had the 8.5 hour shifts, people were alot more positive about their jobs and there was alot less in fighting and backbiting.
The people who refer to taking care of kids on their 4 days off either don't have kids or they aren't doing right by their spouses or kids at home. Your kids need your time everyday, not just on your RDO's .
the 4/3 system is good but it never rotates so it isn't really fair to everyone although the set days can be a benefit. you don't work 11.5 anyway. You have to get ready, drive to a useless lineup, listen to the all important briefing, work your shift, nearly never get relieved on time, turn in paperwork at the end of shift and finally go home after what is often a 13-16 hour day. If you have court, forget about it. 8.5 or 9 hours is the best for your health and your family. Anyone who tells you otherwise is in la la land. Your kids need you everyday and you put your life on the line for strangers. YOU DESERVE to have a healthy schedule.
Everybody got along alot better back then. If you weren't here then you don't know.

05-25-2007, 07:59 PM
Would I rather have 8 days off per month or 15 days off? 15 of course. We all agree this job **** and it has always been difficult on our family and kids. But that is the life of a police family, always has been. With the 11.5 hr days we have more time off and alot more holidays and weekends off. LEAVE THE SHIFTS ALONE

05-27-2007, 04:19 AM
#1 this job isn't bad. you have decent benefits and a take home car that saves you at least 200 dollars a month. I guess this is another cop that went from bag boy at publix to police academy to PBSO. If you ever had to dig a ditch or tie steel all day in Florida you might not think PBSO is so bad.
#2 you might work 15 days a month but you get paid by the hour.
at the dayshift 3/2-2/3 or the night shift 4/4, you work alot more hours per pay period so your hourly rate is less. So enjoy those days off or sit around scratching your head wondering how you make less per hour than a guy working 8 hours. On the 5/2-5/3 you have time with your kids everyday and your health is less challenged. you can't take the most dangerous job in the world and increase the duty hours per day and come out with anything other than more stress and more fatigue. when PBSO had a 3 shift system at 8.5 hours, the attitude was better, the performance was better and the in fighting was a fraction of what it has been since the 11.5 assaulted the employees with families or working spouses. it's simple, when you're rested you're better at everything.

05-27-2007, 04:29 AM
this job hasn't always been difficult on our family and kids
Sheriff Bradshaw didnt create this mess either.
And NO, not being there everyday for your kids is not automatically a part of a police officer's life.
Lots of cops have kids that rebel and get into trouble because we immerse ourselves in our jobs and forsake the bigger picture.
your kid should feel like the luckiest kid in the world, not the lonliest.
don't live for this job and it's gold badges or stripes and titles .
live for changing diapers, learning ABC's, school plays, football games, graduation and weddings
VERSUS
jail visits and embarrassment because you were too busy being a PBSO superstar and a part time parent to teach your kid values.
YOU NEED TO BE A PARENT EVERYDAY and the 11.5 hour shift is an attack on the deputy and his family's quality of life. Don't kidd Yourself.

05-27-2007, 12:19 PM
How about the old schedule D1 use to work. 5 on 4 off, 5 on 4 off, 6 on 4 off, and they were 10 hour days. There was a nice overlap with afternoons and mids and the 10 hours day wasn't bad. If I remember there was only 1 week a month where you didn't have a piece of the weekend off.

05-27-2007, 02:16 PM
The hours are to long. What are you a girly cop? This has to be a woman here.

05-28-2007, 03:15 AM
OBVIOUSLY THE FIVE 0 GUY IS MISSING THE POINT.
11.5 ON DUTY TRANSLATES INTO A REAL LIFE MINIMUM OF 14 HOURS COUNTING GETTING READY AND GETTING HOME TO SAY NOTHING OF DICTATION AND PAPERWORK THAT MIGHT REASONABLY PUT YOUR REAL LIFE WORKDAY AT 15 OR 16 HOURS. HOW DO YOU SLEEP ENOUGH TO STAY ALERT THE NEXT DAY WHILE STAYING ON TOP OF PARENTAL RESPONSIBILITIES ? THE ANSWER IS....YOU DON'T.
YOUR KIDS, FAMILY, HOUSEHOLD,PHYSICAL FITNESS AND ATTITUDE TOWARD YOUR JOB ALL DECLINE WITH THIS SCHEDULE. BE HONEST.
PEOPLE MILK CALLS AND BLOW OFF CALLS AND STICK THEIR ZONE PARTNERS LIKE CRAZY FOR THE LAST 2-3 HOURS OF DAYSHIFT, A SIGNAL 1M ISAS GOOD AS HOME AND LOTS OF CALLS ARE NPA'D BECAUSE THESE OTHERWISE GOOD COPS HAVE BEEN LATE TO PICK UP THEIR KIDS SO MANY TIMES THAT THEY'VE LEARNED TO DEAL WITH IT THIS WAY. IF A GUY GETTING OFF AT 1500 MAKES AN ARREST AT 1445, HE CAN HAVE THAT 1015 AT THE JAIL LONG BEFORE HE HAS TO GET HIS KIDS AT 1830. THE REST OF THE WORLD WORKS ON REGULAR HOURS.
IF YOU DONT HAVE KIDS, YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND. IF YOU DON'T HAVE KIDS, YOU STILL DESERVE JUST AS HEALTHY AND WELL RESTED WORK ENVIRONMENT AS ANYBODY ELSE. THE 11.5 HOUR SHIFT IS ABOUT SAVING MONEY, NOT YOUR RDO'S. BUT ALL THAT MONEY PBSO SAVES DOESNT TEACH YOUR KID ANYTHING OR IMPROVE YOUR HEALTH ONE BIT. IT'S TIME THAT PBSO DO THE MORALLY RIGHT THING .

05-28-2007, 04:23 AM
OBVIOUSLY THE FIVE 0 GUY IS MISSING THE POINT.
11.5 ON DUTY TRANSLATES INTO A REAL LIFE MINIMUM OF 14 HOURS COUNTING GETTING READY AND GETTING HOME TO SAY NOTHING OF DICTATION AND PAPERWORK THAT MIGHT REASONABLY PUT YOUR REAL LIFE WORKDAY AT 15 OR 16 HOURS. HOW DO YOU SLEEP ENOUGH TO STAY ALERT THE NEXT DAY WHILE STAYING ON TOP OF PARENTAL RESPONSIBILITIES ? THE ANSWER IS....YOU DON'T.
YOUR KIDS, FAMILY, HOUSEHOLD,PHYSICAL FITNESS AND ATTITUDE TOWARD YOUR JOB ALL DECLINE WITH THIS SCHEDULE. BE HONEST.
PEOPLE MILK CALLS AND BLOW OFF CALLS AND STICK THEIR ZONE PARTNERS LIKE CRAZY FOR THE LAST 2-3 HOURS OF DAYSHIFT, A SIGNAL 1M ISAS GOOD AS HOME AND LOTS OF CALLS ARE NPA'D BECAUSE THESE OTHERWISE GOOD COPS HAVE BEEN LATE TO PICK UP THEIR KIDS SO MANY TIMES THAT THEY'VE LEARNED TO DEAL WITH IT THIS WAY. IF A GUY GETTING OFF AT 1500 MAKES AN ARREST AT 1445, HE CAN HAVE THAT 1015 AT THE JAIL LONG BEFORE HE HAS TO GET HIS KIDS AT 1830. THE REST OF THE WORLD WORKS ON REGULAR HOURS.
IF YOU DONT HAVE KIDS, YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND. IF YOU DON'T HAVE KIDS, YOU STILL DESERVE JUST AS HEALTHY AND WELL RESTED WORK ENVIRONMENT AS ANYBODY ELSE. THE 11.5 HOUR SHIFT IS ABOUT SAVING MONEY, NOT YOUR RDO'S. BUT ALL THAT MONEY PBSO SAVES DOESNT TEACH YOUR KID ANYTHING OR IMPROVE YOUR HEALTH ONE BIT. IT'S TIME THAT PBSO DO THE MORALLY RIGHT THING .

If you don't like it, then go to BSO and Work 5/2 with Wed/Thurs as your days off on the afternoon shift. How about the fact that guys on probation can be on dayshift when available. That is unheard off, which speaks more for a family life than anything. THIS WORKS, LEAVE IT ALONE!!!!

05-30-2007, 02:02 PM
DUHHHHHHHHH IF YOOS DONTZ LIKEZ IT, DENNNN GOES TO BSO
IT'S NOT ABOUT YOUR RDO'S. DON'T TALK LIKE AN IDIOT
IT'S ABOUT BEING THE BEST YOU CAN BE AT WORK AND AT HOME
THE 11.5 HR SHIFT HAS GREAT ROTATION BUT YOU'RE KIDDING YOURSELF IF YOU DENY THAT THE DEPUTIES GO INTO "STAY 10-6 ON B.S." MODE FROM 1500 ON. THE LAZINESS AND INTENTIONAL UNDERCOOKING OF CALLS IS HORRENDOUS. THIS JOB IS ABOUT CATCHING CRIMINALS, NOT HAVING WEEKENDS OFF TWICE A MONTH.
YOU ACTUALLY PROVED MY POINT. THE ONLY THING THE PEOPLE WHO DEFEND THE 11.5 HOUR SHIFT CAN DO IS PRAISE THE DAYS OFF BECAUSE THEY SURE CANT PRAISE THE OVERALL WORK PRODUCT.
THERE ARE A FEW D/S WHO KICK BUTT ON THIS SHIFT BUT THE MAJORITY ARE BOBBING AND WEAVING AFTER 3 PM.

05-31-2007, 11:22 AM
Posted: 05/30/07 09:02:53 Post subject: the shift

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DUH IF YOOS DONTZ LIKEZ IT, DENNNN GOES TO BSO
IT'S NOT ABOUT YOUR RDO'S. IT'S ABOUT BEING THE BEST YOU CAN BE AT WORK AND AT HOME
THE 11.5 HR SHIFT HAS GREAT ROTATION BUT YOU'RE KIDDING YOURSELF IF YOU DENY THAT THE DEPUTIES GO INTO "STAY 10-6 ON RODE FROM 1500 ON. THE INTENTIONAL UNDERCOOKING OF CALLS IS HORRENDOUS. THIS JOB IS ABOUT CATCHING CRIMINALS, NOT HAVING WEEKENDS OFF TWICE A MONTH.
YOU ACTUALLY PROVED MY POINT. THE ONLY THING THE PEOPLE WHO DEFEND THE 11.5 HOUR SHIFT CAN DO IS PRAISE THE DAYS OFF BECAUSE THEY SURE CANT PRAISE THE OVERALL WORK PRODUCT.
THERE ARE A FEW D/S WHO KICK BUTT ON THIS SHIFT BUT THE MAJORITY ARE BOBBING AND WEAVING.

06-02-2007, 03:46 AM
the 11.5 hr shift is only good for 2 things....
saving a little money on patrol budgets AND
giving cops weekends off enough to make them think their schedule is good.
the work product is poor
the dent in crime is lessened
the family life is challenged
the daily rest is lessened
the only people who actually benefit from the 11.5 hr shift are people without kids.
The 11.5 or more realistically, the 14 hour shift is a ruse. DEPUTIES STILL ONLY WORK 8.5 HOURS (if you're lucky) of the shift and all these guys care about is their RDO's. There is minimal focus on actual police work

06-02-2007, 03:51 AM
don't speak what you don't know...I love the 11.5 shift and work my butt off the whole time. My numbers speak for themselves so I certainly don't need, nor appreciate, you trying to speak for me. If ya wanta work 8 hrs, go be a detective.

06-02-2007, 03:21 PM
The schedule we have is great. You are only trying to make an excuse. Maybe if you actually tried to do proactive police work instead of hiding between calls, you could see what the real cops are saying. If you don't want to be a real cop, go to the airport, the courthouse or parks where you can still act like you are a cop but only have to work 8 hours per day. This way you can quit posting here.

06-04-2007, 02:58 AM
AND THERE YOU HAVE IT THE TYPICAL IN GREEN
CAN'T HANDLE A CALL ( BUT LOVES THAT 11.5 HR SHIFT)
AS USUAL. NO WONDER CRIME IS RAMPANT. THE DEPUTIES ARE JONESING FOR THEIR RDO'S.

06-10-2007, 01:00 PM
Let me see.... Hmm... I work 2 days one week and 5 the other. Darn no time on my hands. I must not be so wise after all.

06-11-2007, 09:19 PM
There you have it ladies and gentlemen. The "wisest of men" knows nothing of what he speaks. he obviously was not here back in the day when we worked 5 days a week, every week. This schedule is great. It was also overwhelming voted upon by the deputies at that time rookie. Hey, simple as this.....if you don't like it here....QUIT
There are many people who want your job. Don't stay here since you are not happy. Go flip burgers and enjoy life.