PDA

View Full Version : Just checking

05-21-2007, 04:46 AM
Just dropping by and asking a few question.
1. what is the starting pay for the department?
2. is there a cost of living increase?
3.how much time do you really have?
4.when do you get a take home car?
5. specialized units?
6.state retirement?
7. is there an actual step (pay scale) program? or do you have to fight for a raise every three years or so?

Just asking because I'm a Miami Dade School Police officer trying to see if we are getting cheated. If you want to pass by and post on our site feel free to do so, we would like to hear what it is like to work at an agency similiar to ours. We are also going to contract negotiations and would like some input to help fight for our cause.......since your our brothers from up north tell us what you getting and maybe we can use this site for some good to help each other in contract negotiations.

05-22-2007, 05:40 PM
start pay is low. The school board just gave us a three year raise of a whoping 2% next avail contract 2009. Not 2% per year but 2% total! No take home card, as a matter of fact you have to drive your personal veh. while on duty. no step plan although they say there is it is just unable to get. The only thing about this job that is good is the days off.
I'm going green!!!!! stay away!!!!

05-24-2007, 05:55 PM
alright never mind.....I guess I got my answer from reading your other post......wow.....no take home car, 2 % percent increase in pay, no cost of living, .....now I don't feel so bad about our situation in dade county......I thought we were getting cheated, well if any of you guys or gals want to come over we are hiring.....we are looking for 50 officers, we have take home cars availalbe right after completion of the f.t.o program, we are re-negotiating our contract, hopefully it will push our starting pay up to the mid-40's, a five step program in which your fifth year will we will be topped out at 58725 and then receive a 4 % cost of living increase from there every year, longevity pay starting at 5, then 10, 15, and 20 years of 4 %, we are starting a swat team, we have k-9 officers, detectives, a gang unit, and are hoping to start a tactical narcotics type unit, we are also trying to start a motors unit, mounted patrol, and a traffic homicide unit.......but we work 24 hours, we have s.r.o assigned to schools, a patrol unit that has three shifts, 10% percent of our department works on holidays on an overtime basis, we work in the summer (sort of, if you know what I mean), and we assist the adjacent agency's with task forces and other stuff...

05-24-2007, 06:20 PM
Sounds like you have ot pretty good down south. We do not have anything near what you have. Good luck and be safe!

05-29-2007, 07:09 PM
What did you guys ask for in your contract? You guys sound like we did a couple of years ago, stay strong and keep fighting for what you deserve, next contract negotiation use us as an example for negotiations, we went through a couple of unions and a couple of years trying to get what we have now, and we are still fighting for what is the norm around dade county and what we deserve, I even heard that we once had our tickets books taken away from us.
stay safe

05-30-2007, 09:17 PM
What did you guys ask for in your contract? You guys sound like we did a couple of years ago, stay strong and keep fighting for what you deserve, next contract negotiation use us as an example for negotiations, we went through a couple of unions and a couple of years trying to get what we have now, and we are still fighting for what is the norm around dade county and what we deserve, I even heard that we once had our tickets books taken away from us.
stay safe

Ok, like every department we have our own problems. Now if you're an officer assigned to a high school, you can make some money. The OT is an ample amount of easy-going after school activies. With that being said, I started a few years ago and my first year I cleared a little over 51K, (WITH EASE AND NOT KILLING MYSELF DOING IT @ a Middle school). Once I got assigned to a high school the OT got easier and a lot healthier. Not to mention, if you're an elementary officer you'd be going 10-7 @ 1500 hours and available for any details after that. Elementary, Detectives, Transport Officers and Supervisors all get take-home cars (for work only BUT THINK ABOUT GAS PRICES). JUST REMEMBER-----NO ONE IS PERFECT!!!!

05-30-2007, 09:22 PM
stay safe

Ok, like every department we have our own problems. Now if you're an officer assigned to a high school, you can make some money. The OT is an ample amount of easy-going after school activies. With that being said, I started a few years ago and my first year I cleared a little over 51K, (WITH EASE AND NOT KILLING MYSELF DOING IT @ a Middle school). Once I got assigned to a high school the OT got easier and a lot healthier. Not to mention, if you're an elementary officer you'd be going 10-7 @ 1500 hours and available for any details after that. Elementary, Detectives, Transport Officers and Supervisors all get take-home cars (for work only BUT THINK ABOUT GAS PRICES). JUST REMEMBER-----NO ONE IS PERFECT!!!!

PS---You might not want to become a supervisor because they are getting screwed right now!

05-31-2007, 02:54 PM
13 Round see if you can figure that one out. :lol:

06-01-2007, 10:56 PM
13 Round see if you can figure that one out. :lol:

Yes. That was a real good one.