PDA

View Full Version : Three Troopers Injured

05-20-2007, 08:52 PM
ST. PETERSBURG – Three Florida Highway Patrol troopers are in stable condition today after being run down while investigating fatal motorcycle crash on Interstate 275 Saturday night.

Troopers Rhonda Hendee, Gregory Taylor and Gene Lebrenz sustained nonlife-threatening injuries, according to Paul Fruik of the Florida Highway Patrol.

They were taken to Bayfront Medical Center in St. Petersburg. Hendee recently got out of surgery, and Taylor is expected to undergo surgery later today, Fruik said.

The troopers were struck while investigating a fatal motorcycle crash that happened shortly before 8 p.m., south of 54th Avenue North, according to FHP reports.

Ryan J. Sneddon, 24, of Seminole, crashed into a guardrail after losing control of his 2006 Honda motorcycle while changing lanes at high speed. He died on scene, according to the FHP.

FHP reports describe how the troopers were injured this way:

Shortly after 11 p.m., they were still working at the crash scene, which was marked with flares, traffic cones, an electronic arrow board and cruisers with emergency lights flashing.

Robert M. Taylor, headed south on the interstate, swerved to avoid slower traffic, lost control of his 2005 Honda Civic and veered into the crash site.

Taylor’s car rotated counterclockwise, pushing one patrol car into another, then continued rotating and hit the three troopers.

After also being treated at Bayfront Medical Center, Taylor, 19, of St. Petersburg, was arrested on three counts of DUI with serious bodily injury and two counts of DUI with property damage, jail records show.

Taylor remaines in the Pinellas County Jail, with bail set at $31,000, records show.

05-20-2007, 10:48 PM
How can anyone be so brainless? The guy must have been completely wasted to have not seen everything going on in front of him.

I'm glad the troopers will be alright though. Stay safe everyone.

05-21-2007, 03:12 AM
And all this for $3,000 a month. Yea, really worth it!

05-21-2007, 11:14 PM
We wish your Troopers a safe recovery and speedy return to the job. I know we all bust on each other but that could of been anyone of us. Be safe and I hope the smoe who hit them gets to wear some blue uniforms issued by FDOC.

Deputy Sheriff,
Sarasota County Florida

05-22-2007, 01:42 AM

Why dont you go by the hospital and ask them how much they think it was worth? This is a risk we all take. When your laying in a hospital bed, no amount of money eases the pain of broken bones.

05-22-2007, 12:15 PM

Why dont you go by the hospital and ask them how much they think it was worth? This is a risk we all take. When your laying in a hospital bed, no amount of money eases the pain of broken bones.

I bet the Colonel :mrgreen: told them they'll be rewarded later on and used the moment to be seen on TV.

05-23-2007, 05:47 AM
Once again, it is the Tampa/St pete area drivers that have no respect for anything or anyone. They have no fear to drive any way they want because there is ZERO enforcement or visability by FHP on the area roads. Wake up FHP brass, legislators, Senators or whoever. This area is ripe for some serious consequences due to lack of staffing and accountability. LOOK AT THE DEATH TOLL IN HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY ALONE? I am a "MADD" member and will not stop until somebody opens their eyes to this madness on the Tampa roads.

05-23-2007, 06:00 AM

It doesnt? It does ease the pain when I know I can live a life I have always dreamed of, put my kids through college, buy my wife a nice car, and buy a nice house for my family. Instead we are working a dangerous job for what? Nothing! Can't afford a house, cant afford the finer things in life, and cant even afford to RETIRE! I dont know about you, but I dont get thanked much in this job. Usually I hear nothing but negative stuff from the people I interact with, thats the nature of the job. Personal satisfaction and financial wellbeing are two very important items in a job. Getting $5,000 a month does not make getting hit by a car worth it, but Jesus, $3,000 a month just adds insult to injury.