PDA

View Full Version : Wrongly Accused

05-11-2007, 02:02 AM
How many of you have ever thought about loosing your careers, your homes, your freedom; all because of a false accusation? As Cops we are constantly judged by public perception for decisions that we have to make. Now imagine that accuser having the right connections, and embellishing his story to not only get you in trouble at your job, but getting you sent to prison? That is exactly what is happening to Rick Farnham, a former Pinellas and Hillsborough Deputy.

Rick was deployed to Pensacola in the aftermath of a destructive hurricane. In uniform, he and a Santa Rosa Deputy were checking a vacated home, when they were confronted by an angry neighbor, who believed they were looters, and didn't take a second to recognize that he was firing his handgun, not at criminals, but at uniformed Law Enforcement Officers. Rick deployed his taser, and subsequently subdued the man. A struggle ensued involving the man's angry wife, as well as other angry neighbors coming to his defense. The intricate details of this struggle are what is being argued, however all parties have agreed that the man fired his handgun, and was tasered. In a surreal decision, the State Attorney arbitrarily "no filed" on the man. Coincidentally, the man is a retired NY City Corrections Captain, and his neighbor is a retired high ranking officer from the military. Each of them used connections to file a Civil Rights complaint agaist Rick. The Pinellas Sheriff's Office defended Rick through the entire process. Unbelievably, Rick was convicted for a Misdemeanor Federal Civil Rights Violation. He has been sentenced to 12 months in Federal Prison. He resigned from the Sheriff's Office after the verdict, and is now loosing everything.

In addition to the sentence, Rick was ordered to pay $2500.00 in restitution. He also has a civil trial coming up for litigation. I realize that there are those who do not like Rick, or choose to believe the other sides version of events. This post isn't here for bashing Rick, please use another thread to voice that. For those of you who are as disgusted as I am that this has happened, an Account has been set up at all Bank of America Branches, for Non tax deductible donations. Even a $1.00 bill will help. If you want to donate money, go to any Bank of America branch, simply put the account number on the front of the envelope and whatever amount you wish to donate, and drop it in the night deposit box anonymously. The Bank of America Account number is 229005152048.

Thanks in advance for your help

05-11-2007, 03:24 PM
Would it be OK for me to go into the branch, sit down with a bank employee, confirm the details of the account, identify myself and donate the money? Or would you prefer I do it anonymously via the night drop when no one is there? How about if I put it under the door mat at your house?

Since everyone gripes that anyone can post on this website without identifying themselves (sorry, I don't know you, Griff) why don't you get with the PBA or FOP and advertise this in their newsletters or identify yourself some other way?

I know this sounds cynical, but how do we know you aren't some scammer taking advantage of Farnham's situation?

05-19-2007, 05:25 PM
Whats wrong Griff, you scum bag!!!! Suddenly can't afford your house and expensive cars...maybe its time to move back in with mommy and daddy!!!! You have long since been exactly whats wrong with this agency and now you have decided to come on here and act like you care about a fellow officers well being...Well, im here to let everyone know that griff does not give a crap about any officer at his agency or any other. After you read this dont forget to run to your lt. and complain that someone is talking about you.

05-19-2007, 05:40 PM
Please post a comment that makes sense.

05-19-2007, 06:44 PM
Wrong guy dude

05-20-2007, 12:27 AM
Franham was not sentenced to 12 months for tasering and taken the guy into custody. He was sentenced for kicking him inthe head and causing major damage to the guy's neck..while he was proned out on the ground with 50k running through him.

I understand that those were chaotic times..and I promise you that I would not take kindly to being to shot at myself. But the bottom line is that we are in the police business..not the revenge business. The difference between us and the wolves out there is that we have control.

The guy who did the sueing didn't do anything to Farnham that any other citizen can do. He was just smart enough to do it. The bottom line is that if you go over board, make a bad arrest "not in good faith," use excessive force u risk a federal law suit.

I feel bad for Farnham, I met the guy and have nothing against him...but I think that he was wrong in this one..based on what I know...now maybe my facts are wrong...I always give LEOs the benefit of the doubt. But when I heard the details...I shook my head and sighed...