PDA

View Full Version : Overtime + Salary

05-07-2007, 03:21 PM
How much overtime will a first year trooper make if he/she spends 6-7 days a week on patrol? (includes SOAR, Overtime, Off-duty gigs, etc).

Is there a possibility of making over 20K in overtime alone?

I know the base salary is around 34K which we all know is not enough to live on....but I thought overtime made it a bit more feasible. Thoughts?

05-07-2007, 04:59 PM
How much overtime will a first year trooper make if he/she spends 6-7 days a week on patrol? (includes SOAR, Overtime, Off-duty gigs, etc).

Is there a possibility of making over 20K in overtime alone?

I know the base salary is around 34K which we all know is not enough to live on....but I thought overtime made it a bit more feasible. Thoughts?

It is no different than any other job. If you want to work a bunch of overtime you can make more money. That is a given. My point has been why work for FHP and make 50K a year with 10 hrs of overtime a week when you could just work somewhere else and make over 50K for 40 hrs of work. Do you really want to work 7 days a week with this job? Do you have no family, friends or life? Troopers always brag about how much money they make with all their 208, but just remember there are MANY other LE jobs out there where you could be making the same amount of money for only 40 hrs of work a week.

05-08-2007, 01:16 AM
PBSO starting pay is currently $42,744 and at the end of their current three year contact a deputy will top out at $70,272.

05-08-2007, 02:10 AM
NY, PA, IL, OK and about 20 other state agencies make more in the ACADEMY than a Florida State Trooper makes after 10 years. Do you think that is pretty sad?

05-08-2007, 02:31 AM
PBSO starting pay is currently $42,744 and at the end of their current three year contact a deputy will top out at $70,272.

Thats great pay no doubt, but who wants to live in Palm Beach. I did 2 years there back in the 90's and man people are arseholes down there, not to mention what it cost to live there. Good pay but no thanks.

05-08-2007, 03:12 PM
I agree with not wanting to live in Palm Beach. Unlike the Patrol they will allow you to live outside of your assigned area, in this case out of the county and still take your car home. They have deputies who live in Broward, Hendry, Martin, St. Lucie and Okeechobee counties who work at PBSO and drive their cars home. Only catch is you can not use it for personal use if you live out of Palm Beach county. Might be worth the extra pay if you can live in one of the other counties and work in Palm Beach. And, if the top out pay for a regular deputy is $70,000 plus at the end of this contract, even with just small cost of living raises of %3 in the course of 10 years they will be making upwards of $85,000 a year just as a deputy. Work in a little off-duty, which by the way the Sheriff's Office adds to you salary and counts towards your retirement, and you could easily make $100,000 a year there in 10 years. Then maybe I could afford to retire someday. You know what they say, sometimes you have to give a little to get a little, in this case you stand to gain a lot, or you can stay at FHP and get nothing. Just a thought.

05-09-2007, 06:51 PM
I agree with not wanting to live in Palm Beach. Unlike the Patrol they will allow you to live outside of your assigned area, in this case out of the county and still take your car home. They have deputies who live in Broward, Hendry, Martin, St. Lucie and Okeechobee counties who work at PBSO and drive their cars home. Only catch is you can not use it for personal use if you live out of Palm Beach county. Might be worth the extra pay if you can live in one of the other counties and work in Palm Beach. And, if the top out pay for a regular deputy is $70,000 plus at the end of this contract, even with just small cost of living raises of %3 in the course of 10 years they will be making upwards of $85,000 a year just as a deputy. Work in a little off-duty, which by the way the Sheriff's Office adds to you salary and counts towards your retirement, and you could easily make $100,000 a year there in 10 years. Then maybe I could afford to retire someday. You know what they say, sometimes you have to give a little to get a little, in this case you stand to gain a lot, or you can stay at FHP and get nothing. Just a thought.

If I knew 17 years ago what I know now, I would have signed on. Hine sight is 20/20.

05-12-2007, 11:19 PM
NY, PA, IL, OK and about 20 other state agencies make more in the ACADEMY than a Florida State Trooper makes after 10 years. Do you think that is pretty sad?

Thats because in many those states they are state police, not highway cops who are so self obsorbed that they write other LEO's tickets for chicken sh*t stuff. Why not let other LEO's go, I know I have let troopers go before, but maybe it is time to start that turf war and start writing troopers.

05-13-2007, 12:03 AM

Thats because in many those states they are state police, not highway cops who are so self obsorbed that they write other LEO's tickets for chicken sh*t stuff. Why not let other LEO's go, I know I have let troopers go before, but maybe it is time to start that turf war and start writing troopers.

This has absolutely nothing to do with my initial question. Did you get stopped for speeding? Were you doing 10 mph over or 40 mph over? Did you deserve the ticket? I don't advocate LEOs writing other LEOs simply because I feel they should look out for each other--but if you were an a**hole about being stopped, then you deserved to be ticketed.

If you're going to make a blanket request to start a *turf war* against troopers and begin to write them citations, be prepared to justify that by giving details on what happened to *you* and if you've had contact with almost every trooper in the state of Florida. Some troopers cite other LEOs (which I don't agree with unless there is a high level of disrespect involved)--and some troopers do not. Stop being ignorant.