PDA

View Full Version : Jim Ley, the Union, SSO & 12 million dollars

05-07-2007, 02:13 PM
Jim Ley asked Sheriff Bill Balkwill to reduce the SSO budget by 12 million dollars. MSO is an agency of similar size as SSO in a county of similar size, yet their budget dwarfs the SSO budget by millions of dollars. What planet is Jim Ley on to ask the SSO to reduce our budget by 12 million dollars? :roll:

The time to come together is now. Overall crime is going down in Sarasota County, but violent crime is skyrocketing. We will probably break our record for annual murders this year. Most of the violent crime and violent murders are drug related. People are shooting and killing other people because they owe them money or because they owe them drugs. And Jim Ley wants us to cut our budget by 12 million dollars??? :roll:

Jim Ley left the fire department alone, but he is attacking the SSO budget and he wants it cut. Something stinks to high heaven.

The SSO union and SSO administration need to "come together." If we don't, then it's going to hurt us.

A house divided cannot stand.

05-07-2007, 05:56 PM
Very well said. It's a two way street. The admin must realize that the union is not the enemy -- and the union must work with the admin to get what we want.

My .02

05-07-2007, 09:13 PM
I guess with Jims Leys salary he can afford to live in Sarasota, maybe he can give up some of his raise. Hes an idiot. The too counties have diffrent tax bases and do not even compare with cost of living and taxes

05-17-2007, 01:43 PM
Yes, well said. We need to get on the same sheet of music people. Jim Ley is going to convince the county commissioners to steam roll us if we let him and them. Don't be complacent.

05-17-2007, 09:09 PM
The county see his tactics and he has no authority over us so relax.

05-26-2007, 07:37 PM
Correct, Jim Ley has no authority over the SSO. He does have a considerable amount of influence with the County Commissioners, the ones who approve the amount of money that will be given to the Sheriff. Organize against Jim Ley or risk being outbudgeted by another county park.

05-29-2007, 12:14 PM
WHEN WILL THE BUDGET BE FINALIZED SO WE WILL KNOW IF THE SHERIFF GET THE AMOUNT HE IS LOOKING FOR?

05-29-2007, 12:58 PM
The state has a special meeting or whatever they call it in few weeks. If they decide on somehting it has to have 3/4 support in state congress. If that happens it will be voted on by the voters. We should have some idea @ end of June early July how its going to shake out.

05-29-2007, 09:40 PM
One of our (SPD) upper level civilian managers wrote her representatives about the proposed budget cuts. If it is any indication on how these folks in Tallahassee feel about the situation I am afraid that the worst might be yet to come.

In a nut shell this individual's office wrote our (SPD's) employee back and stated "Layoffs are part of the work place..." "Once I got over my own anger and frustration about being laid off I picked myself up and got a new and better job" "I hope that your law enforcement experience will help you in obtaining a new position somewhere else...." then proceeded to advise her that North Port is hiring, and then attached a link to their employment page!!!!!

Are you kidding me! WHAT ARE THESE PEOPLE THINKING! If this goes through no agency in the State will be able to hiring anyone! WTF........ :shock: