PDA

View Full Version : Pay Issues

05-02-2007, 11:47 PM
Well let me start by saying this is the first time That I have come on here and made a statement. I have always been up front and honest in my approach to the people I come in contact during the course of my job and in my private life. Those of you that know me understand this and will verify that fact to those that don't.
I am very upset in fact pissed about what just happened with the pay issue.
Let me say this. Bill Smith, Dennis Hobbs and the other members of the PBA FHP board spent long hours and time away from home and OFF DUTY Jobs to work with the FLorida PBA and legislature to get our issues done.
We did get the separation issue accomplished and was told right up to the last minute that the pay issue was a done deal.
I am still investigating what happened on that. I do know that it was held up in the Senate side and the House had already approved it.
I don't know if it was open to vote or if it ever got to the floor. I will find out about this.
I do know for a fact that FHP staff (Colonel Knight) is very very upset about this. Heck with the 5%, if they only would give that 500.00 per year up to ten would have been something.
The fact of the matter is. It was not the fault of the PBA, although we will take the brunt of it. It damn sure wasn't managements fault. They were going to get the same amout as rank and file was. IT WAS THE LEGISLATURE THAT FAILED US.
In the past we, tucked our tails between our legs and said well we will try next year.
This is my stand on what happened. We got the ROYAL SHAFT, period.
There has been talk about the blue flu, work slow down, quitting PBA, or even going to another agency.
You do what you feel you must do to accomplish your demonstration of frustation. I will be the last to tell you what to do or what not to do.
I do think that we should do something as a UNIT. AS ONE TROOP, ONE VOICE, ONE MIND. I don't care if you are IUPA, FAST, PBA or just the loner hanging out. THis is the time now for all of us from the COLONEL to the highest ID number in the academy to be ONE.
I propose that we first send the $1000.00 back to Senator Pruitt and tell them that evidently the state needs it. I know that there are those of us out there that need that $1000.00 and take it if you need it, this should be done in letter form. I will just work 3-4 Off duty jobs to cover that.
Next we need for FL-PBA, IUPA or anyone else to stand side by side with us at a media event to discuss why we are so displeased with the actions of the legislature.
Personally I believe that a work slow down or blue flu or not writing tickets will come back and bite us on the ASS. It could have a negative effect, but again it might be the solution. I don't know. But I think we aught to try making our statement be heard through the media through a single day media blitz that is coordinated from Pensacola to Key West.
I for one will not stand for wait till next year excuse. Something went terribly wrong during that session and we need to find out.
Two questions I need answered.
1) did the legislature receive a pay increase?
2) Will FHP get the money we asked for Now that we have our own bargaining unit?

Remember my fellow troopers, sometime in the near future month or two, we will have to vote on who we want to represent us as a bargaining unit. And then we have to vote in the executive board. PBA needs to stand up now if they want to continue doing that job. If they don't then whoever we get to represent us, we need to make sure we support them. I have said this over and over. In fact one trooper that used to work with the US Postal Service said it accurately, we are not working together. Our union is weak and the law makers see that because they know what the membership is. Lets pull together now and make this happen.
Today I heard House Speaker Rubio state that June 3, 2007 a special session will be held for the property tax issue. Lets get together and make the special session a trooper pay issue also. We need to get out there and make some noise. But remember we are professionals and need to act accordingly.
PBA staff, get us a meeting with Gov. Crist and the leaders of the House and Senate.
Troopers contact your Senator, reprensative and tell them how you feel. Have your spouses, parents, children, friends and anyone else to do the same.
Lets make a difference. I challenge everyone that wears the FHP uniform to do it. I challenge FAST, PBA, IUPA, FOP, or any other union to step forward and help in this.
I am looking forward to comments and I will respond. I take criticism as well as praise, but have YOUR FACTS ready to defend your position. Anyone can bellyache when they don't have a solution or the facts.
Just my take and always concerned about my fellow TROOPERS

Cpl. Frank O. Burke
Troop C
Hillsborough/Pinellas THI

727-804-7022

05-03-2007, 12:29 AM
I'm not a trooper, and in fact am a civilian, but that was darned impressive. I feel for you guys and wish there was something I could do to help. Given that Cpl. Burke is so passionate and articulate, perhaps you should recruit him to take a leadership role in the bargaining process. I have immense respect for troopers, have known some great ones -- including Nick Sottille -- and wish all of you the best.

This non-LEO citizen will be getting in touch with his legislators, who clearly have more important things to do than endlessly debate over the state song while troopers and their families nearly go hungry. What a disgrace.

Be safe.

05-03-2007, 01:18 AM
Thank you Cpl Burke for your thoughtful and candid approach to this problem. Having come in contact with you before, I can say for a fact that your statements are true and heartfelt.

My issue with your statements are few but I would like to make one very strong point. This pay issue DOES NOT affect FHP alone. There are many state Law Enforcement agencies that have also gotten the royal shaft. These agencies include the following: Department of Transportation, Department of Environmental Protection, Office of Agricultural Law Enforcement, Department of Financial Services, FDLE (Capital Police) Attorney General Office, and many more. (Pease forgive me if I omitted other state agencies). I can not stress the following point enough, FHP is not the only state agency in existance. We all have a vital role in state law enforcement and we all need equal recognition.

I agree that if the state needs the money more than we do, I will send mine back, certified mail, to Alex Sink with a sympathy card.

I also agree that we need media recognition for our cause. I know the media likes to jump on "underdog" stories. Perhaps now with all of the cop bashing the media has done in the past, we can now get them to sympathize with our poor working and pay conditions. I like the idea ALOT.

I again agree that the PBA had nothing to do with this. The fought for us very hard. More this year than any other year in the past. Until Monday of this week, everything still looked very good. What put a stop to this pay increase? We want answers!

Senator Ken Pruitt sent an open letter to all state law enforcement officers approximately one year ago that "encouraged" all state LEO's to vote for the PBA. The letter went on to state that he has worked with the PBA on many issues and thinks they are the best union for all LEO's. He continued to "encouraged" all LEO's to think very strongly about electing the PBA as our union. Well Senator Pruitt... we held up our end of the deal and voted in the PBA. The PBA held up their end of the deal and got a reasonable pay increase on the table for the legislature. The House said O.K. to the pay plan. The Senate was a little shaky but agreed. But, you and Representative Marco Rubio stopped everything cold! NOTHING!!!

I have written my representative, senator, Sen Pruitt, Rep. Rubio and my governor today. My replies from those officials were nothing. No surprise there.

We need to stick together as one group of all state law enforcement to get this accomplished. I have many friends and aquaintances that work in many facets of state law enforcement. Our concerns are always the same. Whether your uniform is tan, green, blue, gray or even a shirt and tie, the issues are always the same. The patches on our shoulder should not seperate us any longer.

Thank you Frank for a very thought provoking and intelligent posting to a very angry situation.

Another State Officer

05-03-2007, 01:31 AM
I am state leo and I agree to return the huge raise! It would be nice and would send a strong message if the majority of all leo's participate. I don't think many of my co-workers would be up for it, but I'm going to return it. It is demeaning and a slap in the face to all of us.

I have many friends that are troopers and I really feel for all of you. You are on the front lines and deserve a decent, competitive salary. If it wasn't for off duty details, you would be on food stamps and probobly qualify for HUD housing.

I hope we find out exactly what happened with the pay issue. It has been my experience that everyone points fingers and is a little reckless with the truth and you never really know what happened.

This was supposed to be a GREAT year for law enforcement. If thats true, the next three ought to be a doozy!

To Cpl. Burke...you sent a very well written message and I hope you get the support you deserve. I will be calling you tomorrow to find out where to send my check.

I am not signing this for a good reason...I can't fit any more targets on my body.

05-03-2007, 02:36 AM
Im ready to stand up and fight. This issue with the pay is just out of control and I will not stand for it anymore. I love this job and I think we can do a lot of good out there on the roads if the state of Florida will make FHP what it needs to be. Right now though it is a shame and a lost cause. We all deserve better than this. As of right now I have no choice but to leave this agency. I simply can't afford to work here anymore. Clearing $2400 a month does not go very far in Hillsborough County. I feel I deserve better, but Im still willing to fight so we can get FHP back where it needs to be.

I used to post here anonymously, but I will no longer. I have nothing to lose and I do not fear any repercussions for what I say. Anyone that disagrees about my feelings on this agency is living under a rock anyway. The current situation with FHP is 100% criminal.

Tpr. S. Nickel

C-TPA

05-03-2007, 03:35 AM
Our $1000, Minus taxes, etc. that brings us to $700, divided by 52 weeks, that equals about $13.46 a week. You convinced us to join PBA and screw IUPA, but only to show us that it wasn't the IUPA that was the bad representation, but Pruitt? This is why PBA requested a two year contract, to stop us from getting rid of them if they didn't get the raise we were promised? Not only am I disappointed, but this is hurting my family.

05-03-2007, 03:38 AM
:cry: :cry: :cry:
SEND THEM BACK THE MONEY, THATS WHAT THEY WANT YOU TO DO SO THEY CAN WASTE IT ON LUNCHES, COFFE, DINNERS, AND EXPENSES AND SAY YOU DIDN'T NEED IT. THIS IS ONE OF THE RICHEST STATES IN THE COUNTRY PEOPLE. THE MONEY FLOWS LIKE AIR AROUND HERE. JUST LOOK AROUND, ORANGES, TURIST, BUILDING, DIGGING, MINNING AND THE LIST KEEPS GOING ON. LETS GET TOGETHER, ALL OF US AND SHOW THE STATE GOVERNMENT WHAT A DAY OR TWO WOULD BE LIKE IF THERE WERE NO STATE EMPLOYEES AT WORK. ONE DAY, IS THAT WHAT WILL WAKE THEM UP. ITS TIME ALL STATE AGENCIE EMPLOYEES UNITED AS ONE NOT MANY. THEY HELP RAISE OUR TAXES, INSURANCES (AUTO AND HOME) YET THEY CAN'T FIND THE MONEY TO HELP US LIVE NORMAL LIVES LIKE THEM. I AM SORRY THEY MAKE LESS THAN ANYONE ON PAPER BUT DO THEY REALLY. ITS TIME TO TELL THEM WE'RE TIRED OF THEM STEALING FROM THE MANY AND GIVE BACK TO THEMSELVES. WRITE LETTERS MAKE CALLS, BUT IF YOU WANT THINGS DONE RIGHT FOR ONCE IN HISTORY COME TOGETHER AND DEMONSTRATE HOW WE ALL MAKE THIS STATE RUN. LETSA SHOW THEM ITS OUR STATE TOO, NOT JUST THIERS TO DO WITH AS THEY PLEASE. STATE GOVENMENT IS SUPPOSE TO HELP ITS PEOPLE, NOT BASH THEM AGAINST THE FLOOR UNTIL EVERY DROP DIGNITY IS SPILLED. ITS TIME TO WAKE UP PEOPLE LOOK AROUND SEE, READ, ASK ABOUT WHERE THOSE TAX, TURIST, AND ORANGE CROP DOLLARS ARE GOING. ITS LATE I AM TIRED, ITS BEEN A LONG DAY LIKE USUAL. GOOD NIGHT STAY SAFE ALL!

05-03-2007, 03:42 AM
I am state leo and I agree to return the huge raise! It would be nice and would send a strong message if the majority of all leo's participate. I don't think many of my co-workers would be up for it, but I'm going to return it. It is demeaning and a slap in the face to all of us.

I have many friends that are troopers and I really feel for all of you. You are on the front lines and deserve a decent, competitive salary. If it wasn't for off duty details, you would be on food stamps and probobly qualify for HUD housing.

I hope we find out exactly what happened with the pay issue. It has been my experience that everyone points fingers and is a little reckless with the truth and you never really know what happened.

This was supposed to be a GREAT year for law enforcement. If thats true, the next three ought to be a doozy!

To Cpl. Burke...you sent a very well written message and I hope you get the support you deserve. I will be calling you tomorrow to find out where to send my check.

I am not signing this for a good reason...I can't fit any more targets on my body.

I TRIED HUD AND WASN'T ELIGABLE AS A TROOPER. I RENT!

05-03-2007, 04:15 AM

I TRIED HUD AND WASN'T ELIGABLE AS A TROOPER. I RENT!

I can barely afford to RENT a house. I guess the state expects me to live in some little 1 bedroom, 800 sq ft apartment in Plant City.

05-03-2007, 04:24 AM
I've been on for 18 years. I remember when we got a 250 a month across the board raise back in 90 or 91. I remember a lot of the old timers saying you watch, you wont get sh!t again for a long time. Being a rookie trooper I thought right, a state like Florida doesnt treat people that way. Then came Lawton Chiles, boy was I wrong. I have never seen a state that does not give a sh!t about the people who protect it like Florida. For the time I've been on its been a constant uphill battle for pay raises. WHY? What is it about state cops that the legislators hate so much. Theres been plenty of ideas to fund raises that were always shot down. WHY? Its time to find out who shot us down and let them answer WHY.

05-03-2007, 04:34 AM
I've been on for 18 years. I remember when we got a 250 a month across the board raise back in 90 or 91. I remember a lot of the old timers saying you watch, you wont get sh!t again for a long time. Being a rookie trooper I thought right, a state like Florida doesnt treat people that way. Then came Lawton Chiles, boy was I wrong. I have never seen a state that does not give a sh!t about the people who protect it like Florida. For the time I've been on its been a constant uphill battle for pay raises. WHY? What is it about state cops that the legislators hate so much. Theres been plenty of ideas to fund raises that were always shot down. WHY? Its time to find out who shot us down and let them answer WHY.

I really think the state is trying to disband FHP. That is the only explanation anymore that makes sense. They are refusing to do anything with FHP because it is their goal to shut it down and give the funds to the county and city agencies. Why else would they refuse to give us anything for so many years? And IMO I wish they would shutdown FHP. The way it is being ran now is only hurting the employees and the citizens of Florida. Give the money to the cities and counties and allow them to hire more people to work our calls. Today in Hillsborough County there were 3 troopers out for the evening shift. We were not even needed. Our calls could easily by absorbed by the county and city. Actually if this was done things would probably run more smoothly.

05-03-2007, 05:03 AM
Florida needs to do one of two things. Make state law enforcement a full service agency by merging FHP and FDLE together, giving them decent pay or they need to disban it and give the money to the locals. Be like Hawaii, have a sheriffs office that covers the entire state. Hell, even Mississipi and Arkansas have done this.

05-03-2007, 05:14 AM
This is easy, of course, for me to say because I'm not a trooper. Anyway, it looks like there's going to be a tremendous boycott of gasoline on 05/15/07 to try and put a hurting on the oil companies. Of course, everybody will just buy twice as much gas the following day, but hopefully we'll make our point. Perhaps that landmark day would also be a good day for the vast majority of FHP troopers to just happen to get the flu or a terrible cold or something. The fact is that 99% of the public have no idea what's going on or that FHP troopers (and LEOs in general) are so poorly paid. I'm a lawyer and had no idea just how bad it was until I stumbled across this page a few weeks ago (I do largely poverty law, and I'm poor too).

The only thing the governor and legislature will respond to is pressure. And the public have no idea. Something that makes headlines is probably necessary for the public to get the idea, and for the legislature to, accordingly, do whatever they must to make their constituents happy so they can get re-elected.

Again, this is easy for me to say since I'm not in the arena with you. But my suggestion is that troopers do something highly visible so as to make the general public aware of the situation and just how dire it is. I somehow doubt John and Susie Q. Citizen would take kindly to troopers calling in sick en masse or leaving in droves for other agencies, and would demand that their legislators do something about it.

Be careful and safe!

05-03-2007, 05:17 AM

I really think the state is trying to disband FHP. That is the only explanation anymore that makes sense. They are refusing to do anything with FHP because it is their goal to shut it down and give the funds to the county and city agencies. Why else would they refuse to give us anything for so many years? And IMO I wish they would shutdown FHP. The way it is being ran now is only hurting the employees and the citizens of Florida. Give the money to the cities and counties and allow them to hire more people to work our calls. Today in Hillsborough County there were 3 troopers out for the evening shift. We were not even needed. Our calls could easily by absorbed by the county and city. Actually if this was done things would probably run more smoothly.

Hillsborough County, what a joke. Why is that place not a CAD county. Dont they have the number of troopers leaving for other agencies to justify it. Just another example of the state not having a clue.

05-03-2007, 06:06 AM
THE STATE AGENCY THAT GOT SHAFTED THE MOST.IS DJJ (DERT OF JUVENILE JUSTICE).MOST PEOPLE THINK WE ARE JUST A DAYCARE CENTER FOR FLORIDA'S CHILDREN.THE TRUTH BE TOLD.WE ARE ACTULLY CERTIFIED STATE OFFICERS.WHO ARE ALSO GETTING THE SHIT END OF THE STICK.
MOST OFFICERS WHO COME IN FROM OTHER AGENCIES,AND SPEND SOMETIME IN SOME OF OUR FACILITIES ALWAYS SAY I COULDN'T DO IT.WE DEAL WITH RAPEST ,MURDERER,SEX OFFENDER'S,DRUG DEALER'S AND ALL OF THE REST OF THE SCUM FROM THE STREET.CRIME IN THE STATE IS UP.WE HAD A 10 YR OLD IN MY JAIL WHO STABBED HIS MOTHER.THEY WILL PUT HIM IN A PROGRAM FOR MAYBE A YEAR OR 2.THAN HE WILL BE BACK ON THER STREETS AGAIN.THE NEXT TIME HE MIGHT KILL SOMEONE.
75%OF THE JUVENILES I COME IN CONTACT WITH ARE HARDIN CRIMINALS JUST WAITING TO BE DIRECT FILED TO THE ADULT SYSTEM.
MORE OFFICER'S GET HURT IN DJJ THAN ANY OTHER AGENCY INTHE STATE.
I DON'T KNOW WHERE I'M GOING WITH THREAD ,BUT I HAD A BAD DAY AT THE JAIL AN OFFICER GOT STABBED 3 TIMES IN THE HEAD BY A JUVENLIE.HE IS 16 YRS OLD 6"2 240 LBS.BUT HIS JUST A KID.
THANK YOU FOR LETTING ME BLOW OFF STEAM.
ALWAYS BE SAFE.
JJDO.

05-03-2007, 07:23 AM
The people that get on here and say that the public and media must not be aware are dead wrong. THE MEDIA AND THE PUBLIC JUST DO NOT CARE ABOUT LAW ENFORCEMENT! The only time they get involved is when they have something negative to report on us. If you think they are going to help us...........you are going to have a long wait. They only care about law enforcement when they need help, and then they complain that the incident was not handled properly. You all need to band together and drive to Tallahassee in your cruisers for one big protest. Pay for the gas yourselves if that will be a issue. The only thing that gets attention is numbers. Look at the huge illegal alien demonstrations they just had across the country. Did you happen to see all the benefits that certain states provide the illegals................like free college, meals, tax exemption and I could go on and on. The news was all over it, but good citizens and Leo's like ourselves can't even get a small raise. This State and this Country have gone to SH*T! Stop living in poverty and support whats right. This has got to end!!!!!!!! If I knew what I know now.............I would have NEVER made law enforcement a career.

05-03-2007, 12:56 PM
The people that get on here and say that the public and media must not be aware are dead wrong. THE MEDIA AND THE PUBLIC JUST DO NOT CARE ABOUT LAW ENFORCEMENT! The only time they get involved is when they have something negative to report on us. If you think they are going to help us...........you are going to have a long wait. They only care about law enforcement when they need help, and then they complain that the incident was not handled properly. You all need to band together and drive to Tallahassee in your cruisers for one big protest. Pay for the gas yourselves if that will be a issue. The only thing that gets attention is numbers. Look at the huge illegal alien demonstrations they just had across the country. Did you happen to see all the benefits that certain states provide the illegals................like free college, meals, tax exemption and I could go on and on. The news was all over it, but good citizens and Leo's like ourselves can't even get a small raise. This State and this Country have gone to SH*T! Stop living in poverty and support whats right. This has got to end!!!!!!!! If I knew what I know now.............I would have NEVER made law enforcement a career.

:x :x :x
YOU DON'T NEED THEM TO CARE, U NEED THEM TO KNOW WHATS GOING ON AND WHATS GOING TO HAPPEN. USE THEM TO GET WHAT U WANT, LET THEM INFORM THE PUBLIC FOR U AND LET THE PUBLIC GO AFTER THE LEGISLATORS. LET THEM SWEAT IT OUT, 5-11-07 MAKE IT THE DAY AND SPREAD THE WORD. LET THEM KNOW IT COULD HAPPEN AGAIN AND AGAIN, THE MEDIA WILL DO IT FOR US. WE JUST HAVE TO COME TOGETHER ALL OF US AS 1 BIG TROOP.

Unregistered
06-13-2017, 09:16 PM
Pay issues after 10 years. Troopers leave and leave now. It will never change. Rookies, PLEASE get out of this dump. Not worth risking your life for pennies. Go somewhere else where you are appreciated and respected. This thread is from 2007 and the problem has been there even longer than 10 years.

Unregistered
06-14-2017, 01:58 AM
Damn! Pathetic!

Unregistered
06-14-2017, 08:20 PM
Sad that nothing has changed in such a long time with FHP. I don't see a bright future.

Unregistered
06-14-2017, 09:50 PM
It is not just FHP. Go look at the Volusia County S.O. site here. Pay issues for ten plus years. Leadership issues as well.

Unregistered
06-14-2017, 11:14 PM
It is not just FHP. Go look at the Volusia County S.O. site here. Pay issues for ten plus years. Leadership issues as well.

Go look at Pinellas SO, they make $70,000 a year and are complaining about pay, and leadership issues. Also, they were told their step plan is being frozen.

Unregistered
06-14-2017, 11:49 PM
FHP gets paid exactly what they deserve. They drive around and write tickets. They do alot of accidents, alot of blue forms when there are no injuries and some DUI's. In my county, you sometimes have to wait up to an hour because they are so short handed. It would be more cost effective if they just disband the agency and make the few agencies that don't work accidents work them in their juridiction. Maybe hire one or two to patrol the interstate in their county and they would make more money and save the taxpayers by not having to buy equipment, all the support staff and the building. Once again, they get paid exactly what they deserve.