PDA

View Full Version : So who is really the RAT?

Curios George
04-28-2007, 03:45 PM
Consider the following:

Police Principles -

1. The basic mission for which the police exist is to prevent crime and disorder

2. The ability of the police to perform their duties is dependent upon the public approval of police actions.

3. Police must secure the willing co-operation of the public in voluntary observation of the law to be able to secure and maintain the respect of the public.

4. The degree of co-operation of the public that can be secured diminishes proportionately to the necessity of the use of physical force.

5. Police seek and preserve public favor not by catering to public opinion, but by constantly demonstrating absolute impartial service to the law.

6. Police use physical force to the extent necessary to secure observance of the law or to restore order only when the exercise of persuasion, advice, and warning is found to be insufficient.

7. Police, at all times, should maintain a relationship with the public that gives reality to the historic tradition that the police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full-time attention to duties which are incumbent upon every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence.

8. Police should always direct their action strictly towards their functions, and never appear to usurp the powers of the judiciary.

9. The test of police efficiency is the absence of crime and disorder, not the visible evidence of police action in dealing with it.

Supreme Court Justice Brandeis spoke, in the case of Olmstead v. United States when he said:

"Decency, security and liberty alike demand that government officials shall be subjected to the same rules of conduct that are commands to the citizen. In a government of laws, existence of the government will be imperiled if it fails to observe the laws scrupulously. Our government is the potent omnipresent teacher. For good or ill, it teaches the whole people by it's example. Crime is contagious. If the government becomes a law breaker, it breeds contempt for the law; it invites every man to become a law unto himself; it invites anarchy. To declare that in the administration of criminal laws the end justifies the means --- to declare that the government may commit crimes in order to secure the conviction of a private criminal --- would bring terrible retribution. Against that pernicious doctrine this Court should resolutely set its face. . .

In the words of Curios George; it is not about a tiny little speeding violation, more so, about accepting responsibility for your actions. Doing so will ensure that the principles of law enforcement are not compromised so that our children may grow up in a civilized democracy as we have. If we as COPS refuse to be accountable for our actions, both on and off duty, we will ultimately undermine the publics trust and ultimately ourselves…

It is not about writing a fellow cop a ticket, rather, shame on you for putting me in a position to make that decision. So who is really the RAT?

04-28-2007, 04:49 PM
George please spare me of your holier than thou attitude. To answer your question...You are a RAT so live with it. If you write another cop a ticket you are a scumbag. PERIOD! Nothing more nothing less! If you are so obsessed with pleasing the public, get a job at Mcdonalds or run for a political position. Until then, we'll have to agree to disagree. Like I told the other poster, when you are facing death on the job and your brothers and sisters save you, things will become more clear. You, cupid, and paradise are in the minority. Real cops look out for their own in regards to a measly speeding INFRACTION. I understand traffic is the most important part of YOUR job, but you must also use that thing on top of your shoulders. By the way, next time you decide to quote someone, give them the credit for it instead of passing it off as your own!

04-28-2007, 07:53 PM
"By the way, next time you decide to quote someone, give them the credit for it instead of passing it off as your own!"

What are you talking about Guest?

The Priciples of Law Enforcement is a philosophy that is taught in Criminal Justice courses. George did not pass that off as his own.

The qoute from the Supreme Court Justice was plainly marked and identified as such including the case. Also not passed off as his own.

The only thing that George took credit for was the last part of his post that said his name beside it.

You make little sense. You are also missing the big picture of his post. Law Enforcement is only effective if the public trusts the system. Since cops are the public who are charged with making the system work, give a cop something that they would not give the public, then favortism is shown which breaks down the system of public trust. Once public trust fails, the system fails. You then have to establish rule through force like a dictatorship or you are left with an ineffective government such as Iraq and other chaotic countries.

It is the principle of policing. Get mad all you want but if it is not followed, then you will be out of a job one way or another.

04-28-2007, 08:35 PM
dictatorship? look around, we have a dictator!

04-29-2007, 12:15 AM
YOU PRO dONNY RATS THAT DON'T KNOW ABOUT THE BOYS USING THEIR DISCREION TO PROTECT THEIR OWN SHOULD SHUT UP!!! IF YOU KNOW AND STILL SUPPORT HIM YOU REALLY NEED TO SHUT UP!! WE'LL GET IN TROUBLE IF WE USE OUR GIVEN RIGHT TO USE OFFICER DISCRTION BUT THEY CAN DO WHATEVER THEY WANT AND GET AWAY WITH!! FDLE SHOULD HAVE BEEN CALLED YEARS AGO!!! AND NOT ABOUT SPEEDING!!!

04-29-2007, 12:16 AM
Yes outsider I know where the principles come from. Georgy was trying to pass it off as his own thoughts. He's not fooling anyone.

04-29-2007, 10:43 AM
cubs - you must be refering, in part, to the job the man did in protecting colonel bob - under the rug it went! maybe you read the felonious file...or are your refering to the interference he ran for chief bill? there are so many instances...perhaps you should leave a trail of bread crumbs for us.

Paradise
04-29-2007, 08:21 PM
George,

Excellent post and a good reminder to look at the bigger picture. I know retnuh, his cousin cubs1615 and their pseudo Guest entries talk about giving information to the new deputies but this is the best I have seen that serves all; no matter how long or short you have been on the job.

It is easy to get disappointed at the system sometimes because for the most part we put our heart and soul into our beliefs. It becomes frustrating when we see that what we believed was a perfect system is not a perfect system but rather a perfect philosophy run by imperfect humans. All we can do is strive to do our best and not let the disappointments of our realization of the system cloud our judgment. Accepting the system for what it is and looking for happiness in our own performance will add to a long and fruitful career.

Bottom line, I think we all chose to do this job because we like to help others. Some are able to keep a positive attitude even after realizing the system is not perfect. Others find it difficult and start finding fault in every aspect of the job. Those are the ones who become bitter and frustrated. To compensate for their disappointment about the job they begin to adopt the attitude to no longer serve others but to serve themselves.

It is not hard to see on this forum who has adapted and who has not.

04-29-2007, 08:38 PM
performance? feel free to post the number of arrests you have, your level of education and amount of legitimate training hours. throw your id number out here and we can see what you do in wings - feel free - we'd like to see the view from your high horse - bet you stand mute.

04-29-2007, 08:55 PM
performance? feel free to post the number of arrests you have, your level of education and amount of legitimate training hours. throw your id number out here and we can see what you do in wings - feel free - we'd like to see the view from your high horse - bet you stand mute.

Dude, where in this entire thread does anyone speak of performance? Am I missing something? I thought we were discussing attiudes and the philosophy of policing.

I guess we should start testing for reading comprehension.

04-30-2007, 02:15 AM
start with yourself kind one...last line of the second paragraph...you must have one of those npd degrees

04-30-2007, 08:57 AM
I.G says, "shame on you for putting me in a position to make that decision". Lets' think about this for a second. Citizens put us in "that" position everyday. It's called our job!! And this might be a new one to you donny rats, you still have officer discretion. I believe Fl. state law requires a law enforcement officer to do one of three things...give a verbal warning, a written warning or a written citation. So George how hard is it to make a "decision" with three options. And why do 95% of cops across the board agree with the nonrats?

04-30-2007, 10:00 AM
One more thing I.G. And here's something for you poor souls applying with donnyville. Several years ago, I was put on some red light/ traffic detail and directed to write tickets. On the first day I had eight stops and had given one ticket with several written and verbal warnings.

Next day I was given a speech and politely "directed" again to write tickets because that's what donny "perferred". Well I didn't feel any of my stops warranted a ticket so that day after numerous traffic stops, no tickets. But 90%written warnings.

Next day, I get a visit from the traffic LT. who danced around his "order" for me to write tickets. Once again, telling me that's what donny wants. We proceeded to get into a little argument where I had to educate him on officer discretion. That day numerous traffic stops, no tickets.

To make a long three day story short, it went up the chain, stopping short of donny. Needless to say, after alot of heated discussions, a certain Lt., Sgt., and Cpl. from the traffic unit and a certain Lt. from CID had to eat a little crow and shut their mouths. Even better I wasn't invited to any more traffic details.

Bottom line, these are civil infractions not crimes. Why not use your discretion? If you going to give joe citizen a verbal, why not someone you call a brother?

04-30-2007, 10:07 AM
Dear guest, we'll get to the undy. Unfortunately, there seems to be alot of donny lovers who haven't been around that long and don't remember the undy. But these mutts that have been there for six seconds think they know how great it is in donnyville!! They'll learn!! But we'll get there soon ......

04-30-2007, 04:09 PM
George and Paradise sound like college boy types who rose up the ranks quickly and have no real experience and never had a chance to learn. They just dont sound like cops they sound like people talking out of books and just repeating what some other college boy told them. Too much theory and not enough practical knowledge. The more I read here, the more I think maybe cubs and retnuh and some others have some very valid points.

04-30-2007, 10:39 PM
Thanks guest...you are 100% right! These guys are bookworms who have zero common sense. Obviously we can't show them the way it should be so I'll stop trying. When they get a little more time under their belt they will understand. Until then we will have to listen to their mindless bookworm banter.

04-30-2007, 10:48 PM
Rusty Handcuffs and Parasite report to my office in the morning....you boys are in a heap of trouble.

Boss Hunter

05-01-2007, 09:23 AM
cant wait for the undy stories...i hear they are good

05-01-2007, 09:08 PM
cant wait for the undy stories...i hear they are good

So Hoppy has Jake's Undys? Tell us these undy stories please

05-02-2007, 05:33 AM
So hoppy and Jake are at band camp and hoppy found a snake. He did'nt have anything to carry the snake in so he used his undys. The end