PDA

View Full Version : Non Certified

04-22-2007, 05:40 AM
If a Non Certified member dies in the line of duty/ or accidentally off duty, do they get a big funeral like the Certified Deputies do? :?:

04-22-2007, 06:49 AM
If it is an election year...

04-22-2007, 07:32 AM
NOT HISTORICALLY!

04-22-2007, 02:20 PM
If a Non Certified member dies in the line of duty/ or accidentally off duty, do they get a big funeral like the Certified Deputies do? :?:

A non-certified member is a civilian. How can a civilian die in the line of duty? To die in the line of duty would require you to be "Special Risk", "High Hazard" (Certified).

So I guess what your asking is "If a civilian dies at work while shuffeling paper, would they get a big funneral?"

No...Why do you ask? Know something we don't?

04-22-2007, 02:47 PM
Nice with the whole shuffling paper crap. Obviously you are ignorant and inconsiderate of those who help to make your job easier. Civilians can die on the job just like the certified. CSD's aren't certified and yet they are on the road while on duty and deal with the public. Not only that, us paper shufflers deal with the public as well and all it takes is one disgruntled person. I find it sad that you think Civilian deputies don't deserve the same as a Certified in regards to funerals. As for the "Do you know something we don't" bit...No I don't. It was just a question that popped in my head after reading about deputies dying in the line of duty. I find it unbelievable how the certified seem to belittle the Civilian members but as soon as they need something from us, they are nice as can be. I don't think I will ever look at Certified Deputies the same way. Thanks.

04-22-2007, 03:15 PM
There was no disrespect directed towards civilian employees. Your question was vague and left a lot of room to answer!

First off, there has never been a civilian killed while working at CCSO so to know exactly what will happen based on the past is unknown. Knowing the Sheriff, he would do what is right!

Second, there is a BIG difference from a CSD dying because they were struck by a car while directing traffic or rolling up on what dispatch thought was a delayed call versus an in-progress call. A cituation like that I am sure would demand a full funeral service since that person died serving their communtiy.

BUT, if a clerk at the main office was to have a heart attack and die, although we would ALL be concerned and saddened, I do not think you would see our honor guard or helicopter flying over...I may be wrong but that is my beliefe.

For the record, NO AGENCY could funtion without the civilian support staff! It is a crucial part of our agency and I have nothing but the utmost respect for them! Next time you ask a question why don't you be more specific or do not get pissed when you get a general answer to a vague question that could have been interpreted in numerous scenarios.

Hope that helps...

04-22-2007, 03:18 PM
OHH and by the way, your screen name coupled with your question left me scratching my head. I am sure I was not the only one.

04-22-2007, 04:00 PM
There have been many civilian employees killed in the line of duty througout the U.S. Be it CSD's or CSO's as they are called at police dept's. One which comes to mind was in Farmington NM a few years ago. CSO responded to a house for a vactaion house extra patrol request. He was shot dead in the driveway by a burglar with a shotgun in the middle of the day. Email the Farmington NM police to find out what they did. Civilian employees wearing dept jackets have been shot and killed stopping at a 7-11 for milk on the way home from work. Well they wern't on "duty" but they were assasinated because they were identified by a criminal as "Law enforcement." Suppose what happens when a school crossing gaurd in uniform is killed by someone. The criminal has no time to ask if they are a school gaurd or a cop. Dispatchers have been killed sitting at their console by intuders in smaller Police departments where lack of building security is common. How volunerable would a county be to bank robberies and chaos with the call taker and dispatcher out of action back at the station? It simply just hasn't happened here.........YET.
My guess on the funeral question would be that if the employee was killed either by being struck while a car at work or killed purposely by a criminal because of their job either on or off duty that it would be the deciding factor. I think "the right thing to do" factor would play a big part in that decision on what type of funeral would follow.

04-22-2007, 04:39 PM
The way you worded your response sounded sarcastic which is why I responded the way I did. I apologize if you weren't being sarcastic when answering my question. As for the SN, I chose it because the question was in regards to death, nothing more.

04-22-2007, 07:12 PM
O.K. Sport; ref identity of Red Devil, post some supporting evidence or stop shooting in the dark. You're doing a hit and run thing here on every post subject on the Collier board.

mod 167
04-22-2007, 08:01 PM
O.K. Sport; ref identity of Red Devil, post some supporting evidence or stop shooting in the dark. You're doing a hit and run thing here on every post subject on the Collier board.

I agree.

The posts were deleted because they state a person’s full name with no basis to justify the accusation. This is not within the Terms of Use and serves no purpose but to hurt someone’s reputation and to create controversy.

Please conform to the rules when posting messages on this board.

Thank you,
Mod 167

04-22-2007, 08:07 PM
How on earth do you think your job as a civilian can even compare to a certified position?

Ten8hotel
04-22-2007, 10:10 PM
I have seen no comparisons made by any of the previous posts. However if you would like one then, How on earth can one person who is certified and give his or her life, give more than a civilian employee who has given the same amount? Having given your life in performance of duty is the most that one can give period. We're just talking about hypothetical funeral services here. If you can think of a way to still give more than a clerk,dispatcher,csd or bailiff assistant that has been KILLED, then let us know. Death seems to be an equal between all differences. Someone has merely posted a question about the respect given afterward. When we participate in funerals for those who have given the ultimate for this society or country we should honor them with all that we have because in effect we have not given nearly as much if we are in attendance. I can think of nothing more precious than life.