PDA

View Full Version : Increase in violent crime

04-21-2007, 04:29 AM
Is it just me, or has there been an increase in violent and or gun related crime in the city?

On a side note, anyone on patrol interested in learning a few tricks and tips to easier in-car cads usage?

04-22-2007, 08:48 AM
Try the dispatcher's page

04-23-2007, 05:52 AM
We have a page? Care to share the info? Then again, if it’s horribly depressing and negative please don't share.

Anyway, the offer is for IN-CAR Cads usage tips, and dispatchers don’t have in-car computers. In short, tips and tricks for patrol to make self initiated activity easier on all of us. For example, the next time you do an Extra Patrol, try putting a % sign in front of common place names like %Seminole Docks or %Valencia Park and watch the address automatically go in for you. Watch out for common places that have more than one location in the city as sometimes the computer will put in the wrong one, i.e. %CVS.

Think about this . . . Sometimes, the different worlds of reality (patrol) and virtual reality (dispatch) can be made more enjoyable and effective by learning from each other. What a concept!

We do a lot of gossip and venting on this site, but rarely use it to help each other become better at what we do. This medium could also be used as a more user friendly way to disseminate information. Perhaps alleviating pet peeve problems in a positive manner would be more effective that memos and training orders after the proverbial poop hits the fan.

So, you don't understand why Info takes a bit longer to give you your Code 5 results than your in-car computer? Ask, but not if you run a Rodriguez, Smith, or White. That is self-explanatory. Answer… we have to do it in 2 different systems. NCIC/FCIC and DOS based PCJIS. Our system does not run them both at the same time.
You have not done a missing juvenile call in a while and can't remember if the kid listed out of another agency requires a C#. Ask. The answer is no by the way.
You have what would seem to be a really stupid question, are too lazy to look up the answer in the foot thick SOP's (and who can blame you) but don't want to ask your squad for fear of looking like an ass? Post ANON, and ASK. One of us remembers.
A dispatcher has an annoying habit they are obviously not aware of. Find a way to let them know without attacking their character. Say something like, "Hey ____, I know you guys can be pretty busy up there, but sometimes it seems like you have not had the time to read the call before you verbally dispatch it. I don't mind waiting 15 seconds while you familiarize yourself, so don't feel rushed. You’re doing a great job otherwise." Not “____ sucks at this job and does not know their sphincter from a hole in the ground.” That might make you feel better momentarily, but it does not fix the problem.

Now, there's a discussion topic for you! Enjoy.

05-02-2007, 02:24 AM
Thanks for the tip with the in-car computers, I'll be giving it a try and see how well it works.

On another note, I do remember that when I first started, so many years ago, I had to several sit-alongs with dispatch. It was as much an eye opener as when I did ride-alongs with officers. I have always said that I felt new officers should spend a little time upstairs to get an appreciation for the job dispatchers do. It is easy ridicule a person when you don't know what the job is like. Like-wise, I also felt it is important for dispatchers to do ride-alongs with officers. We should all have an idea what the job is like for each other so we can appreciate what the other has to go through.

If you have any other tips for us with Radcom in the cars, please do pass it along.

Stephan Hole

05-03-2007, 09:05 PM
What's your suggestion for the Officers who do traffic stops or are more active than the dispatcher would like, and can clearly hear an attitude of disgust on their voice becuase they are being bother.

I also understand and have seen first hand how busy a shorthanded unit upstairs can get, but I have also seen dispatchers with magazines, DVD players, clip art stuff and other non police related crap all over their desk. So when an Officer calls up for that General Order question becuase he is on a call in a citizens house and its not very practical to go to his car to look it up, how should he approach the call taker?

The good thing about this topic, is there are two sides and both are and have been equally wrong. I have heard numerous officers with attitudes when there is clearly no reason to have one, talk to dispatchers like criminals.

And as for the % address idea, thats good info, but officer safety comes first. If its 0300 in the morning and an officer silent dispatches himself %Seminole docks, and walks into a mess and no one knows he's there, % Seminole, just may get him hurt. % main station to take personal maybe be a good idea, but anything that may lead to something ugly requires voice dispatch. Just some clarity on %%%%%%%%%%%

05-05-2007, 05:11 AM
What's your suggestion for the Officers who do traffic stops or are more active than the dispatcher would like, and can clearly hear an attitude of disgust on their voice becuase they are being bother.

Well that's because you are bothering them. You're interrupting their gossip, card game, scrap book or personal phone call. Now this is not true of all dispatchers but you probably know which ones it applies to. I was trained to pay full attention to what you are doing and never to pre-occupy myself with anything that could delay my response to your call. My advice is to keep on doing what you do and if you feel the dispatcher ain't working with you, complain to your Sgt. and the Com super. Us dispatchers are here to make your job easier and safer. If that doesn't happen, we don't deserve to be here. :!: