PDA

View Full Version : Now What?

04-18-2007, 10:09 PM
Ok, so the dreaded tax reform bill passed the house today...

http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/2007 ... +sales+tax (http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/2007/4/18/240309.html?title=House+passes+plan+for+no+propert y+tax,+higher+sales+tax)

So what does this mean for the future of the city and of the agency?

Also, what does this mean individually for those of us that work here?

I'm sorry to say..but I am considering looking for a new horizon...what is the point of working for agency that won't get a decent raise for who knows how long, just to have it fold half way through my career?

04-19-2007, 01:44 AM
Don't paint doom and gloom just yet. A couple of things. 1) It has to be matched with a Senate version that is much more realisitic and less dramatic on the county and city governments. 2) This is going to effect all government in the state except for the state agencies of course. That means it also means whatever tax changes effect us also effect PCSO, SPPD, CPD, LPD etc. That means they will face the exact same issues we will face so it seems unlikely that even if our politicians were willing, the S.O. would be hard pressed to have room in their shrinking budget for us.

Also, don't you think it is a bit premature to leave an agency that has been around for 92 years when there has been no mention of consildation on our cities part. In fact, they have said just the oposite. It is our city that leads the charge to stand up against the county repeatedly on annexation and consolidation issues. I think your fear is likely misplaced.

This contract is no different than any others. When has the city ever just rolled over and given exactly what we wanted without a little back and forth. It wouldn't be called a negotiation then.

Too soon for panic....Relax

04-29-2007, 04:49 PM
hey youngster, having watched the same sort of "gloom and doom" from city hall, of almost every city come CONTRACT time, rest assured u r safe. Whiel u really could see a hiring feeze, the erst is all NEGOTIABLE

for at least the past 22 years, I have been in Pinellas law enforcement, Pinellas Park and all the rest grasp at something to paint a sorry, money-strapped picture where little money is available for raises, etc the Park has been no different than any other agency in Florida that come bargaining time u have to fight for what u want, then when its over u see the $$$ flowing to city projects like a river....relax and watch n learn, it haopens every contract year....thsi could be different, COULD, as already said, it ain't in stone yet

05-02-2007, 08:17 PM
can you say Dunedin $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
thats what is all about boys, nothing else. The city has been spending money like a drunken sailor. Now the money is gone so either slim down or wear green :twisted:

05-03-2007, 04:36 AM
Um....might want to do a little research to see if the statewide tax changes will effect just the cities or the counties too...

Let me save you some time.

Counties will suffer the same if not greater than the cities. I think the saying the bigger the man the harder the fall is approporiate here.

The bigger the budget, the bigger the cuts.....Sorry deputy, this will effect your agency even more so than ours....

I'll be the bigger man and be the first to say that I hope it doesn't effect either agency.

Then I'll go on to say that I feel sorry for the contract cities like Dunedin and Seminole. The Sheriff will jack up the price for law enforcement service to help offset the budget reductions. He will have to...But the cities won't have a choice but to pay...Kind of a monopoly wouldn't you say....Well you might not but I just did.

Thanks for coming on to our site and having this little chat.

05-04-2007, 01:58 AM
we got officers jumping ship already, more to come. The city talks of layoffs but they may not need to do it

05-04-2007, 05:03 AM
Any talk that they are jumping ship because of what was reported in the paper is a misguided cover. Their application would have had to be in the work for months.

My question is what makes the officer think that other agencies wouldn't be in the same boat if we are? This effects all all counties and cities. It wouldn't effect state agencies, but then the legislature just denied state employee raises this year.

It is a risky time to jump ship.

05-05-2007, 12:20 AM
I am glad you are the bigger man and stepped up to have a good debate instead of attacking. So lets have a chat. Hopefully you are proud of your uniform and what you do but for a second I want you to think about it from the outside of the box. Everything is about $$$$$. I am going to give you several situations and you decide.

1. Your car is broke and your mechanic in PP wants $800 to fix it and he is darn good at what he does. But a mechanic in Largo does just as good as job but only wants $550 to fix it and he will put a guarantee on it. Who are you going to go to.

2. You have a 100 pound super model (really hot) and you have a 250 pound big man. (a little chubby but over all in good shape) They both cut their body weight by 15%. Who has the greater health risk?

3. You are getting the living Sh@# knocked out of you by some dirt bag
do you really care who shows up to help?

4. Are you upset about your proeprty taxes?

Now for the City of Seminole and Dunedin, lets look at the real facts.
Seminole is a bad example because they never had a pd and besides that the Seminole Traffic units make enough money to pay for the contract.
Dunedin has saved over 10 million dollars and has gotten rid of their liability. (big savings) so do they care if the contract goes up $100,000 :?:

So brother, its not about you or me its about what the tax payer wants to pay. So be safe and if you need someone to back you I will be there :D

05-05-2007, 02:32 PM
Let's face it...We all have special units that run programs and conduct special enforcement operations that target citizen complaints. It is those units that will be cut first from all agencies. All county and city agencies are effected by the this.

Check out the bay news 9 article on the cuts at Tampa PD. Kind of takes the wind out of your fat man...supermodel article though.

This time, this effects us all.