PDA

View Full Version : Guns

04-16-2007, 02:04 AM
Are CCSO personal who are not Certified but on duty allowed to carry guns on them if they have a concealed weapons permit? Are they allowed to carry them off duty if they have the permit?

04-16-2007, 09:45 AM
The answer to your first question is no. Even if you have a concealed weapons permit you can NOT carry while on duty until you are certified and qualify at the range.

As far as being off duty, and in possession of a concealed weapons permit, you can carry a weapon but you must comply with Florida Statute in regards to when, where and how.

oldschool
04-16-2007, 12:29 PM
How does the policy address this? Part of the law regarding licensed concealed carry clearly prohibits the licensee from carrying concealed in government or publicly owned buildings-the courthouse, schools, the post office , police stations, etc. SO the person couldn't carry at work, could they? Also, CCSO has a short list of accepted firearms for carry, on and off duty. But a CCW allows you to carry a much wider variety of weapons. Bottom line, if you are gonna carry as a private citizen, you will have to follow the CCW guidelines., which are not going to let you have that gun in the building on duty. If you are a CSD, to my knowledge at least, CCSO isn't going to let you carry on duty, because if they did we would have armed uniformed members who are non-sworn (no le-co certification) out there operating under a completely different set of rules than the CJSTC matrix when it comes to deadly force...If this is an area in which you have a real concern rather than just an acedemic question, I would seek a written opinion from Legal.

Curios George
04-16-2007, 06:02 PM
Oldschool,

I have not seen you on the forum in a while. I always enjoy reading your responses.

Welcome back!

04-17-2007, 01:45 PM
What is the best kind of gun to get if you do happen to get a concealed weapons permit?

oldschool
04-17-2007, 01:57 PM
one that feels good in your hand that you can actually shoot accurately.

There is no one "perfect" gun for everyone, especially for concealed carry.

Probably your best bet is to go to the range on a Saturday morning and talk to the firearms instructors there. They will probably have access to some different guns you can try if you ask them the right way, and they will give you good advice.

Know this, however. It is not as simple as just getting a pistol and shoving it in a holster. To gain any level of proficiency with it will require time, patience, and practice.

Good Luck, and be safe....