PDA

View Full Version : Thin to Win

04-15-2007, 05:25 AM
I want to give my congrats to Team Dagger on their ability to lose. They sure are great at losing. Keep it up fella's.

04-15-2007, 05:59 AM
I want to give my congrats to Team Dagger on their ability to lose. They sure are great at losing. Keep it up fella's.GREAT JOB GUYS!

Curios George
04-15-2007, 12:56 PM
That is great that people are losing the weight but I have a serious question and I hope no one takes offense to it but here it goes;

If you are a smoker, our insurance company takes money out of every paycheck to cover the increased risk of medical problems. Why don’t they take money out of pay checks if you are very obese?

Obesity causes current and long term medical problems and I would think the cost to the insurance companies is far greater over the same coverage period as compared to smokers. Plus, there are more obese people than there are smokers. (IMHO)

I am not for or against either but think it would be fair to “tax” the obese as they do the smokers…just a thought

04-17-2007, 10:05 PM
Thats a touchy subject. I think CCSO should grandfather everyone employed in right now, and then make tabacco against policy from here on out if they want to make issue of it. I agree it is non-sense, and I also agree fat people (Team Dagger) should be penalized also if us smokers are.

04-17-2007, 10:34 PM
This post looks like it's already been hijacked so I'll chime in too. First congratulations to those who really buckled down and lost alot of weight. It is very difficult if you've skipped a few years of running, weight training and strict diet. As for the tobacco, there are already many agencies who will not hire you without at least six months of tobacco free prior to application and still more now requiring at least an associates degree no matter what LEO experience you have. There are even more still that don't hire using the easy physical fitness test that we use. They have a timed run based on your age as well as weight lifting, situps and pushups. I can't complain about the 5 or ten bucks our insurance charges for the coverage we get. BUT if you want to talk about fair, here's one for you; Next time you're at the movies,restaraunt or whatever, ask for the senior citizen price! Isn't it illegal for them to charge me more because of my age??? So I'm only 42 yoa. That means I pay more for the same service or product solely because of my age??? What about charging more for women instead of men. Or beacuse I am christian instead of jewish??? Last time I checked discrimination has to do with age,sex,race religeon.....? :shock:

04-18-2007, 01:25 AM
I don't know about this blog being hijacked, but you bring up some good points guest. I think I will sue Denny's for age discrimination.

04-18-2007, 06:34 PM
"Now where did I put my pack of Lucky Strikes and Bucket-O-Lard?" Mmm, Mmmm.

04-19-2007, 02:36 AM
smokers. fat people. old. young. near-sighted. far-sighted. bald. pigeon-toed. those who lisp. or stutter. or limp. tall. short. or are just plain too dumb for the rest of us. or the command staff, who are far more sophisticated and intelligent... to quote that great 20th century philosopher, "can't we all just get along?"

04-20-2007, 03:02 AM
Pushing for healthy weight loss is a noble cause. A "quit smoking" push would be even better. But, how about next time, we have a "common sense" contest. On second thought, probably not a good idea since we'd automatically loose at least halph if not more right from the starting gate.

04-20-2007, 03:11 AM
Well we could always having a spelling bee. Ding fries are done dude. It's "half" not "halph". Can you spell JDF? (jail deputy forever)

04-20-2007, 06:22 AM
I'd still take someone with an ounce of common sense, over a masters degree in english, any day.

04-20-2007, 06:34 AM
Oops, my bad, on the spelling. Must be the mass amounts of alcohol I have to drink, to mask the frustrating pain of having to put up with boots like you who come out of the jail acting like they are owed something.

04-20-2007, 04:58 PM
Hahaha that is pretty funny. Funny, and true. There are sure alot of boots coming from the jail that act like they run the place. What ever happened to FTO where the boot shuts his mouth and takes five-six reports a shift. We baby them and they turn out like RETNUH, cowardly!!

Ten8hotel
04-21-2007, 02:48 AM
Recruits are not boots. That's a pretty derogatory term for a man who may one day give his life for you. If he's in your car with a grey uniform on it's because he's earned that through some sacrifice and determination to be a deput sheriff. He's obviously had a great deal of respect for those who have done this job before him and and it sparked a drive in him to be one. He's a student full of questions and ready to be molded into a professional law enforcement officer not a drill camp canditate that needs to be broke down and then built back up like a civilian becoming a U.S. Marine. These are in fact ladies and gentlemen learning from more experienced ladies and gentlemen.

04-23-2007, 10:49 AM
What ever. Some of the ones this place hires need to be broken down and rebuilt like a military recruit. Not as bad a jarheads though.

04-23-2007, 12:36 PM
:x aaahhhh...Political correctness!!!! Now we can't call a recruit a boot? I was a boot, a FNG, a rook, and what ever else the guys could think of. Its a right of passage and I am not scared for life. If you can't handle a nickname when you are a new guy, you may have a rough time through your career. We don't have to break down recruits like the military, but we do need to train them from the ground up, sometimes even retrain them, similiar to the military. Political correctness will be the death of us! :x

04-23-2007, 02:22 PM
I agree with guest. When i came out of the jail Iwas warned by one of my F.T.O.'s that I was going to work my ass off, and I did. I took every report that came down the pike. I changed flat tires and directed traffic for hours in all sorts of weahter. I spoke only when spoken to because I was training with a shift that had about 75 years of law enforcement experience.

My time spent training was memorable and I went hom every night/day exhausted, but I am much better off from the experience. Thicken up your skin. I have seen guys come to the road crying about how they were treated. To be honest, I don't want to work with cry babies.

I have only seen a few men/women wash out and was glad to see it. If you can't handle the training how are you going to do it on your own.

04-23-2007, 02:26 PM
I forgot to tell you , I did not have a name, I was a boot, or so and so's (whoever my f.t.o. was at the time) boot. Every call that came out that could possibly be backed logged to someone was held for me.

04-23-2007, 04:13 PM
Right on the money here. You are a trainee until you prove you can make it on your own. The acdemy does not give you a get out of jail free card to the law enforcement world. Not everyone that graduates the academy has the common sense and street smarts to be a road guy. The new guys need to be pressed and challenged with reports, calls, and a even a little bit of joking to make sure they can make it on their own. Not everyone needs this, but everyone gets it. Now a days, even if you are a seasoned veteran from another agency doesn't mean you are ready for the road in Collier. I have seen several veterans wash out and rightfully so.