PDA

View Full Version : Fraudulent Posts

mod 167
04-15-2007, 02:40 AM
It has been brought to my attention that a registered member used another registered members screen name and password to post a fraudulent response in this forum.

Some may view this as a joke but I do not. The only accountability that this web site has to offer is when you register your screen name. By doing so it allows you to always use that screen name and gives the reader a sense of confidence the authenticity of your thoughts and opinions.

To use someone else’s password and screen name violates this accountability and reduces the effectiveness of this forum. You may not always like what someone else has to say but if they are registered, at least you can believe who it came from.

Furthermore, what you may think is funny at the time may in fact cause lasting repercussions for that user professionally or personally. I view this as harmful and malicious behavior. Therefore, I have deleted the fraudulent post and will offer these words of caution:

1. Please use a password that cops would not normally use (You know what that means)
2. Any fraudulent postings under someone else’s screen name and password will be forwarded to the SYSOP Administrator for identification and removal of your I.P. address.

I welcome the increased number of postings and participation on our forum. As with anything, this site can be used as a very positive tool to discuss issues anonymously without fear of retribution or accusation. BUT, like any tool, the opposite can occur if we misuse the opportunity or replace it with disrespect and contempt for your brothers and sisters.

Stay safe and please participate on this site in the same professional manner as you do while serving Collier County.

Mod 167

04-15-2007, 06:05 PM
Mod, I don't believe that someone used the members name AND password to post. I think it is a weak attempt of that member to shift the focus of the discussion from himself. It seems to fall in line with his ethics.

Just my opinion.

mod 167
04-15-2007, 06:40 PM
Thank you for bringing that viewpoint to my attention but under the current situation I removed the post on good faith that the truth was being told. To verify for sure would require an inspection of I.P. addresses by the SYSOP, which I do not feel is warranted at this time.

Viewing I.P. addresses is not what we like to do unless it reaches an extreme and requires removal of that address. Keeping it in this format will promote our efforts beyond a reasonable doubt that your identities through I.P. addresses are kept secret, thereby, keeping the integrity of the forum in tact.

I am hoping that this is an isolated incident and everyone can move forward.

If anything positive came out of it I would have to say that reminding deputies to not use certain numbers as their passwords was good advice. (Me included :oops: )

Stay safe,
Mod 167

04-15-2007, 08:47 PM
Are any of the Moderators associated with CCSO in any fashion?

mod 167
04-15-2007, 09:29 PM
The requirements to be a Moderator are as follows:

1. Be a sworn or retired CCSO deputy
2. Have a willingness to remain anonymous
3. Remain impartial
4. Agree not to make political or personal posts as a moderator

I do not hold the rank of Lieutenant or above. I have been a member of LeoAffairs.com since the beginning days…way before I was a Moderator on this board.

I hope this helps answer your question.

Mod 167

04-15-2007, 10:46 PM
Mod 167, thank you for your response. You have answered my questions with the exception of one. Do you have access to IP addresses, email addresses of registered posters, or names of people posting comments on this site?

04-15-2007, 11:31 PM
yep

mod 167
04-16-2007, 03:23 PM
Mod 167, thank you for your response. You have answered my questions with the exception of one. Do you have access to IP addresses, email addresses of registered posters, or names of people posting comments on this site?

Board Moderators do not have access to I.P. addresses, emails, password, screen names, instant messages…nothing!!!

As a Moderator the ONLY thing I have access to that you do not is the ability to:
1. Delete Posts
2. Edit my posts
3. Delete Threads
4. Lock a Thread
5. Create a Sticky
6. Create an Announcement
7. Create a Poll

Your IP address can be checked by only 4 staff members. With the IP address we can see who your ISP is but that is the extent of it. We look at IP addresses when someone is violating the Terms of Use and needs to be removed from the site. No one has the time to just randomly look at I.P. addresses or other information. It is too time consuming and goes against the reason why this site exists.

The owners of LeoAffairs.com have successfully fought in court to prevent release of IP addresses to the Sheriff of Hillsborough County. We will continue to fight the release of any of this type of information.

Even if someone did get your I.P. address, the hard part would be trying to prove who was actually at the controls of your computer and typed what was said. Unless you have a camera in your home filming whoever is at the computer with a time and date stamp, it would be nearly an impossible case to prove.

This web site was developed to promote free communication among officers about ANY subject without fear of reprisal. This is what we believe in, have fought for and continue to invest our money and time to. To do anything else would be self destructive for this site.

Mod 167

Curios George
04-16-2007, 06:25 PM
I have been participating on this site for several years and have never felt threatened for doing so. The owners have fought hard to protect the very reasons why this site is enjoyable. The last thing I worry about is if the agency would or could know who I am. If I did, I would not be here.

Bottom line, I may not always agree on what our agency does or does not. Just like they may not always agree on what I do or do not. As long as we conduct ourselves in a responsible and professional manner there should be no shame in freely discussing hot topics or pressing issues.

Look at all of the agencies and people who use this site through out the U.S. every day. If there was an issue of not protecting your identity you would have heard about it by now.

Enjoy the site, I know I have and will continue to do so!