PDA

View Full Version : So called Elite Troopers

04-14-2007, 03:11 PM
Troopers are taught that nothing can hurt them because they are the elite in law enforcement.

HAAAAAAA!!!! If FHP is the elite of law enforement in the State of Florida we are all in big trouble. Most of you guys have never investigated a real crime. Unless you goto traffic homicide investigator none of you ever will beyond a DUI. Most troopers wouldnt know what to do with witness information if it was thrown at them. Ive seen you guys sit there with your thumb up your ass when someone needed to goto jail for disorderly conduct or trespass after warning. Yall dont know what the hell to do. Troopers are outdated and obsolete. You guys write tickets, investigate accidents, write tickets, work off duty details doing nothing at all, write tickets. Youre barely cops and could easiily be absorbed by the Florida Sheriff's Offices.

ELITE?!?!?!? Oh my god thats funny. When's the last time FHP came into any county to show us how its done??? Maybe the north Florida County with 8 Deputies. And your SWAT team is a total joke. Decent equipment, crappy crappy training. Stupid Troopers with machine guns. BLAH AHHAHAH

04-14-2007, 06:05 PM
I think we all know what place the FHP has in our state.

I know for a fact that when a rookie trooper graduate's the academy they believe they are the elite to law enforcement. They are taught that mentality. It's not till they get a year or two on the job that they finally realize what their job entails.

After that probationary period, most move on to City or County law enforcement jobs because they became cops to fight crime, help others etc..

There are the rare few that become assholes and stay to write brother cops and investigate crashes for the rest of their careers. These are the guys I would never want to see on my job.

The thin blue line! STAND BEHIND IT

04-14-2007, 06:41 PM
Boy, the sh!t is getting deep around here. We are the elite and your not. Its easy to tell because your complaining on this website in the first place. I've seen a many of depts in this state that I dont give a fat rats arse about, but I have never felt the urge to go to their website and ***** at them. Im better than that and obvioulsy your not. I bet you guys would'nt make it through the first week of trooper school. A trooper can lateral over to your job with ease, can you do the same to be a trooper. NOT!!

04-14-2007, 08:11 PM
Boy, the sh!t is getting deep around here. We are the elite and your not. Its easy to tell because your complaining on this website in the first place. I've seen a many of depts in this state that I dont give a fat rats arse about, but I have never felt the urge to go to their website and ***** at them. Im better than that and obvioulsy your not. I bet you guys would'nt make it through the first week of trooper school. A trooper can lateral over to your job with ease, can you do the same to be a trooper. NOT!!

I wasn't going to comment until this piss poor Trooper has to open his mouth. The last FHP Trooper who came over to the city I work for couldn't do a damn thing right. Your academy is the same things we do at are PD. If someone who is certified comes to work for my city you have to attend our in-service training that is 2 months long. It's a formality issue. FHP's academy makes sure you have all your traffic certs and they make sure you can qualify with your weapons. I know my buddy went to work for a SO in South Florida and he was a Trooper he said their training was so much more advanced then anything FHP has ever provided. I attended officer survival training is a So Fla SO and this almost killed me. 12 years as US Marine all I have to say is bring on your ***** a** Trooper academy. FHP has to stop thinking that they are the elite. Last year at SWAT round where was FHP??? Nowhere to be found. It looks like it was a local PD who came in first. Followed by several FL Sheriff's Offices. http://www.swatroundup.org/results/overall.pdf

04-14-2007, 09:45 PM
Come on guys, you like to get on here and stir it up so dont get offended if someone likes to give it back to you a little. Why dont you guys post who you work for so we can go to your websites and tell everybody how great we are and what a bunch slugs you guys are. Seems only fair to me.

04-15-2007, 12:49 AM
Wow, sometimes jealousy shines through so brightly. To come on an FHP board as a "Dippity Shurrif" in an effort just to get a rise out of a bunch of troopers....lol. Whether you think we are elite or not is irrelevant. What matters is every citizen in Florida will immediately recognize a black and tan, and they know the respect, courtesy, professionalism, dignity, and rich 68 year history that comes along with those colors. 'Nuff said.

04-15-2007, 02:11 AM
troopers are notorious for having bigger heads then their body can support. It used to be back in the day that the FHP only had juridiction on state and federal highways and only 100ft off the highway on either side. Thats the way it should be, keep them isolated to their own stretch of road fixing flat tires writing people for going 10 over and catching a DUI every now and then.

Troopers get paid low for a reason, they have half the work of a police officer.

Hey if you like that sorta thing then knock yourself out.

04-15-2007, 02:39 AM
troopers are notorious for having bigger heads then their body can support. It used to be back in the day that the FHP only had juridiction on state and federal highways and only 100ft off the highway on either side. Thats the way it should be, keep them isolated to their own stretch of road fixing flat tires writing people for going 10 over and catching a DUI every now and then.

Troopers get paid low for a reason, they have half the work of a police officer.

Hey if you like that sorta thing then knock yourself out.

Well its not back in the day anymore is it. Troopers can do anything you can do, and thats what chaps your arse isnt it. Knowing that there are troopers who have statewide jurisdiction and can enforce any law anywhere in the state. Not to mention that they command more respect than you do.
Hey if complaining about that sort of thing makes you happy, knock yourself out.

04-15-2007, 03:00 AM
Hey Captain Obvious, thanks for restating your jurisidiction again. Thats why you keep that low paying peon job isn't it, cause your "juridiction" makes you feel powerful. Since when did troopers command respect? I don't see dopers fleeing their dope holes because troopers are driving through.

Oh can you do anything more than I can do? Then why don't you? You hand everything non traffic over to city/county cops. Next time you get that road rage highway shooting, or run into the domestic that occured inside the convienence store when your getting a big gulp, you handle them. Don't call us if you can do anything we can do.

Seminole Indian cops do more "law enforcement" than troopers. I'll tell you what, I'll take that extra $20,000 a year and you take your "jurisdiction."

04-15-2007, 03:34 AM
Oh can you do anything more than I can do? Then why don't you? You hand everything non traffic over to city/county cops. Next time you get that road rage highway shooting, or run into the domestic that occured inside the convienence store when your getting a big gulp, you handle them. Don't call us if you can do anything we can do.

We already do everything you do, son. Ever heard of troop K (aka, the Turnpike)?? We handle everything from domestics, robberies, schitzophrenic transients etc. etc. for the entire length of the turnpike, because there ARE no deputies to handle what happens at all the rest areas/toll plazas/service plazas, etc. Hell, it isn't rocket science to do police work other than traffic.

Geez, if it really bothers you that much, maybe you can talk to your undersheriff about issuing you guys some Campaign Covers to get your self-esteem up? As stated earlier, your jealousy shines through so brightly. And as far as the money issue you mentioned, i'll take the $20,000 pay cut to continue to work for such a prestigious, well-respected, and ELITE agency such as the Patrol 8)

04-15-2007, 03:54 AM

We already do everything you do, son. Ever heard of troop K (aka, the Turnpike)?? We handle everything from domestics, robberies, schitzophrenic transients etc. etc. for the entire length of the turnpike, because there ARE no deputies to handle what happens at all the rest areas/toll plazas/service plazas, etc. Hell, it isn't rocket science to do police work other than traffic.

Haha wow! That is probably taking it a bit far there son! This trooper job is pretty lame in the scheme of things. I cant wait to get out.

Geez, if it really bothers you that much, maybe you can talk to your undersheriff about issuing you guys some Campaign Covers to get your self-esteem up? As stated earlier, your jealousy shines through so brightly. And as far as the money issue you mentioned, i'll take the $20,000 pay cut to continue to work for such a prestigious, well-respected, and ELITE agency such as the Patrol 8)

04-15-2007, 04:15 AM

Haha wow! That is probably taking it a bit far there son! This trooper job is pretty lame in the scheme of things. I cant wait to get out.

Looks like mastering the forum's quote function is kicking someone's arse :lol:

04-15-2007, 04:26 AM
Hey Captain Obvious, thanks for restating your jurisidiction again. Thats why you keep that low paying peon job isn't it, cause your "juridiction" makes you feel powerful. Since when did troopers command respect? I don't see dopers fleeing their dope holes because troopers are driving through.

Seminole Indian cops do more "law enforcement" than troopers. I'll tell you what, I'll take that extra $20,000 a year and you take your "jurisdiction."

I will work everything I encounter when I quit going to a minor crash and see 2-3 deputies standing around waiting for me with their thumbs up their arse. When they start working everything they encounter then so will I.

04-15-2007, 08:01 AM
If you guys would only handle the crashes in counties like Pinellas and Hillsborough etc that would be fine with me. The S.O. & P.D. work most of the crashes in these areas as it is, in addition to the other 25-30 calls each unit handles for service in a shift. I don't agree with the above FHP bashing, we all have stressful jobs for the most part, but you guys do need to seriously look at the staffing levels in certain counties. No matter what the fuss though, this Dep will always have your back in a pinch. Be safe.

04-15-2007, 03:09 PM

This is BS and Troopers often mistake "jurisdiction" for power. By the constitution of Florida the Sheriff has the most authority of a LEO. However a city cop can enforce state aw, county ordinances, as well as city ordinances. Therefore a city cop or Sheriff Deputy who is contracted through a city has more broad range Law Enforcement authority. I been a Trooper now for 17 years and started with a small city. I came to FHP because I like working traffic and I already had one retirement. Any Trooper who thinks they are the elite is full of crap. We don't command any more respect than anyone else. I work down in South Florida and the majority of the time I get told "I can't do anything I’m just a traffic cop." This isn't Virginia or Louisiana where they have a true state police. In South Florida the Sheriff's have more respect then we do, because people here know if the sh** hits the fan the SO can deploy around 2,000 Deputies. They have tanks, up 4 helicopters, the best equipment and so forth. I agree one should have an utmost respect for where they work and always hold their agency to hiring regard. Here in South Florida we go out with 2 Troopers a night, and we have a lot of overweight Troopers as does the cities and county. We have had Troopers in the past get arrested for lots of things, as every other agency had. Heck the most recent one was a Trooper beating his pregnant wife, and he supposedly the elite? We don't have a rigorous hiring standards, just look at we're hiring. The truth is it comes down to your personal choice. if you like doing traffic go to FHP, the others investigate more crimes. The one Trooper who said they work everything on the Turnpike you don't have a clue to what is like to work a busy city. I worked in Fort Lauderdale and I've never been as busy as a Trooper then I was with Fort Lauderdale PD. FHP is a job for most people who don't want to work. In Fort Lauderdale back in the day we would answer 25 to 30 calls a night and have 15 reports. We would go from a shooting to a stabbing, to a rape, to a domestic, to traffic crash, to a DUI get a meal break and that was enough time for the clubs to let out then it was off to break up fights, which usually ended with more stabbings or shootings. Day shift we went from forgery calls, to burglaries, to crashes, to a child abuse, and I think you get the drift. As a Trooper I usually get 4 crashes a night and write tickets. Most of time if there's a fight, SO or city is there before us and usually takes it. The SO and City spend more time with their crime scene as well as investigate skills them most Troopers. If you don't believe me ask the SA you see who writes a better PC and reports and I guarantee FHP won't be on top of their list. I'm content being a traffic cop I love working the highway. I agree we don't need to be in the cities or counties because there is enough work to be done on SR-9. What we need to do is recognize our differences but realize overall we all stand for one common goal, to sever and protect. I would lay me life down for any LEO whether city county state or Federal. People wonder why we lose the war on crime. It's because as LEO's we battle each other before we battle who we should be fighting. Stay safe.

04-15-2007, 03:31 PM
After reading this entire thread, I really got pissed off. And I was going to jump on the "anti-FHP bandwagon." :twisted:

However, the following post calmed me down because he accurately hits the nail on the head:
This is BS and Troopers often mistake "jurisdiction" for power. By the constitution of Florida the Sheriff has the most authority of a LEO. However a city cop can enforce state aw, county ordinances, as well as city ordinances. Therefore a city cop or Sheriff Deputy who is contracted through a city has more broad range Law Enforcement authority. I been a Trooper now for 17 years and started with a small city. I came to FHP because I like working traffic and I already had one retirement. Any Trooper who thinks they are the elite is full of crap. We don't command any more respect than anyone else. I work down in South Florida and the majority of the time I get told "I can't do anything I’m just a traffic cop." This isn't Virginia or Louisiana where they have a true state police. In South Florida the Sheriff's have more respect then we do, because people here know if the sh** hits the fan the SO can deploy around 2,000 Deputies. They have tanks, up 4 helicopters, the best equipment and so forth. I agree one should have an utmost respect for where they work and always hold their agency to hiring regard. Here in South Florida we go out with 2 Troopers a night, and we have a lot of overweight Troopers as does the cities and county. We have had Troopers in the past get arrested for lots of things, as every other agency had. Heck the most recent one was a Trooper beating his pregnant wife, and he supposedly the elite? We don't have a rigorous hiring standards, just look at we're hiring. The truth is it comes down to your personal choice. if you like doing traffic go to FHP, the others investigate more crimes. The one Trooper who said they work everything on the Turnpike you don't have a clue to what is like to work a busy city. I worked in Fort Lauderdale and I've never been as busy as a Trooper then I was with Fort Lauderdale PD. FHP is a job for most people who don't want to work. In Fort Lauderdale back in the day we would answer 25 to 30 calls a night and have 15 reports. We would go from a shooting to a stabbing, to a rape, to a domestic, to traffic crash, to a DUI get a meal break and that was enough time for the clubs to let out then it was off to break up fights, which usually ended with more stabbings or shootings. Day shift we went from forgery calls, to burglaries, to crashes, to a child abuse, and I think you get the drift. As a Trooper I usually get 4 crashes a night and write tickets. Most of time if there's a fight, SO or city is there before us and usually takes it. The SO and City spend more time with their crime scene as well as investigate skills them most Troopers. If you don't believe me ask the SA you see who writes a better PC and reports and I guarantee FHP won't be on top of their list. I'm content being a traffic cop I love working the highway. I agree we don't need to be in the cities or counties because there is enough work to be done on SR-9. What we need to do is recognize our differences but realize overall we all stand for one common goal, to sever and protect. I would lay me life down for any LEO whether city county state or Federal. People wonder why we lose the war on crime. It's because as LEO's we battle each other before we battle who we should be fighting. Stay safe.
I've read the FSS and it specifically relegates FHP to:
1. highways & byways
2. motor vehicles.
3. disturbing the peace in the troopers presence (this is the only non-traffic event, other than warrants)

If you read the FSS closely, FHP pretty much isn't allowed to take action for anything else, unless it "happens in their presence." The FSS is specifically written this way to prevent them from becoming a state police.

04-15-2007, 03:50 PM
Well said brother stay safe we're all in the same boat and fight.

04-15-2007, 03:56 PM
You morons dont have a clue :? You interpret the law any way you want. A trooper can do anything you can do. Afforded the same rights as other officers.

04-15-2007, 05:24 PM
You morons dont have a clue :? You interpret the law any way you want. A trooper can do anything you can do. Afforded the same rights as other officers.
Okay Nimrod, let's take a closer look at FSS 321.05, shall we? :roll: Specifically, FSS 321.05 addresses the duties, functions and powers of FHP troopers (http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?mode=View%20Statutes&SubMenu=1&App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=highway+patrol&URL=CH0321/Sec05.HTM). Since you're a little slow, I'll cut-n-paste it for you. ;)

The members of the Florida Highway Patrol are hereby declared to be conservators of the peace and law enforcement officers of the state, with the common-law right to arrest a person who, in the presence of the arresting officer, commits a felony or commits an affray or breach of the peace constituting a misdemeanor...
According to the FSS, it has to happen "in the troopers presence." Furthermore, the FSS says:

...and they shall apprehend, without warrant, any person in the unlawful commission of any of the acts over which the members of the Florida Highway Patrol are given jurisdiction as hereinafter set out and deliver him or her to the sheriff of the county....
The FSS is about to get specific, regarding what FHP can and can't do!!! Keep reading my illiterate friend!!!!

... in which patrol officers have primary responsibility as set forth in subsection (1).
We're getting warmer to what FHP can and can't do!!!! Let's take a looksie at section one (1), shall we? ;) :roll:

(1) To patrol the state highways and regulate, control, and direct the movement of traffic thereon;
Ahhhhhh it's relegated to "traffic enforcement" so far; but wait!!! There's more!!! Keep reading!!!

...to maintain the public peace by preventing violence on highways;
Violence on the highways!!! Ahhhhh FHP is relegated to the highways!!!!

...to apprehend fugitives from justice;
Ahhhhh here's the one exception that I previously referred to e.g. troopers can execute warrants because they might come across an outstanding warrant on the highways and byways.

...to enforce all laws now in effect regulating and governing traffic, travel, and public safety upon the public highways and providing for the protection of the public highways and public property thereon;
Mmmmmmm the FSS is still relegating FHP to the highways and byways!!!!

... to make arrests without warrant for the violation of any state law committed in their presence in accordance with the laws of this state;
Do you notice that the violations must be "in the presence" of troopers in order for them to make an arrest??? Now you know why we don't dispatch troopers to investigate domestic batteries, retail thefts and other similar crimes e.g. because troopers can't arrest for it because it didn't occur "in their presence" and they are relegated to the highways and byways. The truth stings. Keep reading my illiterate friend:

... to regulate and direct traffic concentrations and congestions; Traffic enforcement!!!

....to enforce laws governing the operation, licensing, and taxing and limiting the size, weight, width, length, and speed of vehicles and licensing and controlling the operations of drivers and operators of vehicles;
Motor vehicle enforcement!!!!

...to cooperate with officials designated by law to collect all state fees and revenues levied as an incident to the use or right to use the highways for any purpose;
Highway enforcement!!!!

...to require the drivers of vehicles to stop and exhibit their driver's licenses, registration cards, or documents required by law to be carried by such vehicles;
Vehicular enforcement!!!!

...to investigate traffic accidents, secure testimony of witnesses and of persons involved, and make report thereof with copy, when requested in writing, to any person in interest or his or her attorney;
More traffic enforcement!!!!

... to investigate reported thefts of vehicles and to seize contraband or stolen property on or being transported on the highways.
More vehicular enforcement!!!!

The FSS allows us (police and sheriff) to summon FHP troopers to assist us in non-traffic duties in specific instances:

To assist other constituted law enforcement officers of the state to quell mobs and riots, guard prisoners, and police disaster areas.
But then the FSS quickly reverts back to traffic enforcement:

...To make arrests while in fresh pursuit of a person believed to have violated the traffic and other laws.
And troopers can get engaged in motor vehicle pursuits. But don't take my word for it. You can read the FSS for yourself by clicking here (http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?mode=View%20Statutes&SubMenu=1&App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=highway+patrol&URL=CH0321/Sec05.HTM). Read it and weep. It's called the Florida Highway Patrol for a reason. :snicker:

04-15-2007, 11:14 PM
Generally, State Troopers, State Police and State Highway Patrol officers always have, always do and always will garner more respect from the public than local, city or county officers will.

Sorry if you find this fact distressful.

04-15-2007, 11:33 PM
Generally, State Troopers, State Police and State Highway Patrol officers always have, always do and always will garner more respect from the public than local, city or county officers will.

Not in Florida

04-15-2007, 11:44 PM
Not in Florida[/quote]

Check again dolt.

04-15-2007, 11:46 PM

Not in Florida
In the old days, Florida troopers commanded respect, but as people get more educated in the 21st Century, they now understand that Florida doesn't have a state police and our troopers are only traffic enforcement officers. Period. Nothing else. Once citizens realize this, then their fear of troopers departs, along with their respect. :shock:

04-16-2007, 12:03 AM
Troopers are not limited by city or county lines in their job. Primarily FHP's mission involves traffic enforcement and crash investigation. The ignorant misinterpret this to mean they can do nothing else. They have basically the same powers as the local, city or county officers. They are only limited by their own choice.

04-16-2007, 12:08 AM
To Max..Get your head out of your ass, your paid $33,000 a year for a reason and I get paid $55,000 a year for a reason.

In fact they could turn all of FHP into just Traffic Accident Investigators (non-LEO) and then they would save money by paying you less and only responding to traffic crashes. Kinda like what your service officers do. You do the same things they do only with a gun.

04-16-2007, 12:24 AM
Well, I as a trooper have investigated domestics and Im sure that there have been a lot of them on the FL Turnpike investigated by us. But according to the above idiot Howdy Partner we cant do these things. You sound like one of those local idiots who thinks that they know it all, brother you dont know sh!t. You can read 321 any way you want it, it still says troopers can do anything you can. I am impressed with all the cut and paste though, shame you did it all for nothing arsewipe.

04-16-2007, 12:30 AM
Troopers are not limited by city or county lines in their job. Primarily FHP's mission involves traffic enforcement and crash investigation. The ignorant misinterpret this to mean they can do nothing else. They have basically the same powers as the local, city or county officers. They are only limited by their own choice.

Citizen have a arrest powers too, it's called CITIZENS ARREST. Once they hold the suspect, they call the cops. FHP does the same thing with every arrest other than traffic related cases. If it's a felony or misdemeanor that is not traffic related they "TOT" the call to the local jurisdiction because of the FSS that is referred to in this post.

FHP, stick to the traffic stuff, the rest of us real cops will do the rest. Go find a cop to write. It's what you do best.

04-16-2007, 12:32 AM
To Max.."Get your head out of your arse, your paid $33,000 a year for a reason and I get paid $55,000 a year for a reason.

In fact they could turn all of FHP into just Traffic Accident Investigators (non-LEO) and then they would save money by paying you less and only responding to traffic crashes. Kinda like what your service officers do. You do the same things they do only with a gun."

To guest.. FHP pay needs improvement as most agency's do. The current starting salary of $36,100.00 doesn't seem to deter applicants who apply to be "TROOPERS". "I'm a State Trooper" just sounds better then podunk city cop or deputy dog. Most that apply will not be hired by FHP. Past issues they may have had are usually the reason. Luckily, for those applicants, the less stringent requirments of local, city and county agencies should provide a way for them to enter law enforcement. God Bless us All, for only he knows why we do what we do for any amount of pay.

04-16-2007, 12:44 AM
You'll find this definition in Florida Law:

(8) "Law enforcement officer" means:

(a) All officers or employees of the United States or the State of Florida, or any agency, commission, department, board, division, municipality, or subdivision thereof, who have authority to make arrests

04-16-2007, 12:52 AM
Max, why even respond to that local piss ant on here. 55,000 a year, right, didnt know Wakenhut was paying so much. Screw these guys, their only looking for a responce from someone they have pissed off. Trust me, they are trying to piss you off because they are not one of us.

04-16-2007, 01:09 AM
Max, why even respond to that local piss ant on here. 55,000 a year, right, didnt know Wakenhut was paying so much. Screw these guys, their only looking for a responce from someone they have pissed off. Trust me, they are trying to piss you off because they are not one of us.

Wackenhut is a more respected job than FHP, bunch of ticket happy goons. If you all got into this job for "respect" of any kind you found the wrong field. Keep your "respect" like the above poster mentioned..I'll take the pay, because my head isn't bloated I know whats gonna really matter...and its not the "respect" I get from the public.

FHP does have alot of applicants, and obviously none care about benifits or pay, it must be because they want power and "respect" huh?

You guys are a joke, I'd have more respect for the FHP if they just knew their place, and I don't know why its so hard. We don't have this problem with DOT, FWC, or DEP.

Are you guys trying to command respect when you write another brother? Is that it?

A Veterans Affairs cop commands more respect than you jokers! HAHAHAHHAHAHAHA :lol:

04-16-2007, 01:10 AM
Trooper, I'm not pissed. I enjoy the exchange with those who complain about people they don't know and a job they don't do. It is sad that so much ignorance exists with some local, city and county L.EO.s. I started out a city cop and hated the micromanagement. I went to a Sheriff's Office and hated the politics. Now, as a trooper, I love what I do and where I work. Money isn't everything. Happiness is. I've met many 30+ year troopers, but very few local, city or county officers with that much time in one agency. FHP isn't perfect, but I like it. Find your niche and you'll be happy. Traffic is my business and business is good.

Oh and after 19 years I'm still waiting to write my first L.E.O., but he'll have to be one huge a$#h*le.

04-16-2007, 01:18 AM
Typical response from one of Florida's Helpless Police. I'm a Deputy Sheriff and to me it sounds better than State Popper Trooper. I wasn't going to comment, but for me I was a Trooper but I choose to be a Deputy. I've seen some of your Troopers and you can stick in your a** if you think you are better than us. It responses like this Troopers that give all Troopers a bad name. I'm sorry some of these fat Troopers in Troop L look like they should be on the biggest loser. I saw one of the Troopers the other day pull a car over by driving in the front of the vehicle and stopping, real good officer safety. Then I was on sr-9 and love to see you guys sitting in the cars writing tickets no wonder so many of you guys get killed. Further a Trooper backed me up the other night and my radio went out for a armed robbery in progress, the Trooper was backing me up who barley spoke English said finish writing the ticket before you go. Wow what an idiot. But that's typical, traffic always comes first. I've seen so many unprofessional and piss poor Troopers over the past several years. We have them in every agency and in every race. Pay is not the issue here, I like working in the city. It a sense of pride and where I work, and too me where I work is 100 times better than FHP. However I can't blame the Troopers for being upset when people come on here and constantly bash them. The hiring standards where I work now were more strenuous than with FHP. I don't discredit FHP but when they start disrespect other agencies like the post above, I can point out several reason to leave FHP. Like someone said above we all do the same job. I don't think respect for any agency is more or less, cops just don't get respect anymore. I stopped at a rest area in Fort Lauderdale and there was a Domestic. When FHP arrived the man began trash talking him saying he was nothing more than a ticket writer that he wanted to deal with me. So be it, I took the case, but like someone else said most people know FHP is not state police. Also, I had a guy on SR-9 tell me I couldn't stop him because I was a Deputy on SR-9. The truth is the majority of people don't know the difference and see us all as "cops". The Sheriff is the top cop, but what does that really accomplish. Who cares we need to work together. Sure I get pissed when I see FHP bashing the locals and vice versa. FHP just lost several people to Orange SO and Orlando PD. Different stroke for different folks. Come on people we all have our differences but we need to work on the common goal of combating crime. After all we are our brother's keeper.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_Highway_Patrol

04-16-2007, 01:20 AM
So was it the polygraph test that prevented you guys from making it into FHP and settling for a county job, or did the 30 week long, para-military academy scare you off? Come on, just talk to the Sheriff. I'm sure he would issue you some campaign covers if you asked him nicely. Then you could look somewhat pseudo elite.

04-16-2007, 01:24 AM
So was it the polygraph test that prevented you guys from making it into FHP and settling for a county job, or did the 30 week long, para-military academy scare you off? Come on, just talk to the Sheriff. I'm sure he would issue you some campaign covers if you asked him nicely. Then you could look somewhat pseudo elite.

actually it was knowing my back-up would come from some dumb wit cop like you who doesn't know his a** from his mouth. That's okay because when my radio rings out FHP needs help I'll remember this.

04-16-2007, 01:37 AM
City Cop please don't give in to these post. Not all of us Troopers are like the ones posting here. I don't see any difference between you and me other than the uniform. This crap has got to stop. I love being a Trooper, my brother is a Deputy. He makes more money, and he loves his job as much as I do. We don't compete to see who's better. I love working wrecks, he loves working homicides. I would drive as fast to a city and county cop as I would for one of mine own. I can't believe we are having this discussion. It doesn't matter who has more power. There are plenty of people who hate us that aren't cops do we need the animosity between each other? I hope we can stop posting about this, and just remember to any LEO I got your back.

04-16-2007, 01:52 AM
Too bad most people don't think like this.

Home > Opinions
For the love of fuzz: Police deserve respect
Kate Drolet
Issue date: 11/28/05 Section: Opinions
PrintEmail Article Tools Page 1 of 1 Drugs, theft, prostitution, intoxication and high-speed chases earn the show 'Cops' high television ratings. In ordinary encounters, though, police officers don't receive such a warm welcome from regular citizens.

Americans respect and revere the military soldiers who, despite potentially perilous job hazards, join the service to protect complete strangers. We rally around our troops, but we riot against our police.

Despite the fact that police officers share core values and duties with military soldiers, we stigmatize cops with negative nicknames and a general loathing.

Without meaning to perpetuate stereotypes, I used to share the wariness of law enforcement officials. I'd never had a negative experience with them, but I conformed to the popular suspicion regarding cops. Then my fiance enrolled in a police academy, and I learned about the men and women who choose to enter this often-thankless profession.

In my experience, most of them don't do it for a power trip or the access to weaponry. Police academy is far too grueling for those with shallow interests. My fiance class endured 17 weeks of intense physical exercise, self-defense instruction and role-play scenarios. They memorized state and national laws, learned about subjects like domestic violence and child abuse, saw graphic depictions of accidents, discussed community policing and learned how to serve citizens through crime prevention, education and law enforcement.

All this because they have a passion for justice, a genuine desire to help people they might or might not know.

On more than one occasion, I've seen officers out doing their jobs and heard my friends randomly say, "Ugh, I hate cops."

None of those people drive by the VFW and say, "Ugh, I hate veterans."

But they might as well.

From pursuing dangerous criminals to breaking up bar fights, cops deal with the darker side of humanity so we don't have to. These 'pigs' we dislike so much work on weekends and holidays, risk their lives to ensure public safety, and devote their entire careers to civil service. Sounds kind of like the military personnel we loyally honor. So why do we despise the police instead of celebrating their dedication?

A common response: "Cops are jerks."

Of course some cops are jerks, but so are some teachers and accountants and waitresses and flight attendants and grocery store cashiers. Stupid people work in every profession. We shouldn't ostracize all police officers because we happen to get ticketed by an unsympathetic highway patrolman or run into a cop having a bad day.

Appreciate a police officer this week. Whether you smile, wave or stop to thank them for their service, give 'em some love. They, like our soldiers, deserve thanks for their willingness to risk their lives for the sake of ours.

AMEN

04-16-2007, 02:37 AM
Some of you guys kill me. All you do on here is complain and ***** about troopers. A few of them get tired of reading your crap and post a few not so nice replies. Why dont you guys act like the professional, top notch officers you say you are.

04-16-2007, 04:05 AM
I can't blame the Troopers for being upset when people come on here and constantly bash them. The hiring standards where I work now were more strenuous than with FHP. I don't discredit FHP but when they start disrespect other agencies like the post above

I see, its okay to bash the hell out of the troopers but they cant respond to the crap you local guys dish out. Are we just supposed to sit back and take it with a smile. You know after 19 years of law enforcement taking crap from a smartarse is not high on my list of things to do. If you dont like getting crap thrown at you, dont throw it in the first place.

04-16-2007, 04:15 AM
I have been a city cop for 25yrs and cant believe the crap which goes on here..For christ sakes,leave the troopers alone!!!!! They have plenty on their plate,what with the dumb a$$ who dont get the COURTESY issue and the fools who think they are BETTER than the rest!!
WE ARE ALL COPS SO LETS RESPECT EACH COJONE!!!!!
Troopers,any cop who doesnt back another cop,is a piece of shit,got that?
Now lets move on!

04-16-2007, 08:14 AM
This Hillsborough Deputy respects all brothers & sisters in uniform and feels to see anything constructive coming from the above posts. We each have our individual jobs to do, but when the sh#t hits the fan all were gonna have is each other. You all be safe!

04-16-2007, 11:17 AM
I agree with the Hillsborough deputy above. We here in Polk could care less what color uniform you wear. If you need help we'll bust our a$$es getting there! When an FHP sergeant was recently murdered on US 27 in Highlands County we piled out of here enmasse without waiting for an okay from above to go down there and help catch the pieces of sh*t that did it. We just went! Having been through our own tragedy on September 28, 2006 when so many from all over the state came to help us you can bet we'll return the favor without question or hesitation no matter if you wear brown, green, or blue. To hell with the city limits or the county lines anymore. Each other is all we have out here!

04-16-2007, 03:59 PM
Well I, as a trooper, have investigated domestics and Im sure that there have been a lot of them on the FL Turnpike investigated by us. But according to the above idiot Howdy Partner we cant do these things. You sound like one of those local idiots who thinks that they know it all, brother you dont know sh!t. You can read 321 any way you want it, it still says troopers can do anything you can. I am impressed with all the cut and paste though, shame you did it all for nothing arsewipe.
Throughout the great State of Florida, troopers are not routinely dispatched to non-traffic related calls-for-service; and the reason for that is the FSS specifically relegates troopers to traffic enforcement. The state police have no such statutory limitations. The FSS limits the jurisdiction of the FHP to traffic-related offenses. Period.

Granted, FHP troopers can write traffic related tickets throughout the state, but the types of enforcement that troopers are statutorily limited to are "traffic enforcement" issues -- and if you don't believe it, then please go back and re-read the FSS that is posted for you. For FHP, it talks about:
1) traffic enforcement
2) vehicular enforcement
3) making arrests for warrants
4) making arrest for crimes committed "in their presence"
5) being summoned by the local police to help quell disturbances.

FHP isn't tied into the 911 system to dispatch them to all kinds of calls-for-service i.e. domestic disputes, retail thefts, disturbances, bank robberies, armed robberies, murders, barking dog calls, burglaries, etc. Hell, if a trooper is murdered, the FHP doesn't even investigate the case!!! Instead, the local (real) police or the local sheriff conduct the investigation!!! The reason FHP will never investigate the murder of a trooper is because they aren't statutorily allowed to. The only exception is if it is a traffic homicide.

Do you know why the FSS limits the FHP to traffic enforcement, while the FSS doesn't limit deputies and municipal police??? Think about it genius. Only the FHP is statutorily limited in their duties and functions, while municipal police and sheriff departments are not statutorily limited to traffic enforcement. :wink:

04-16-2007, 04:02 PM
I can say the same for Sarasota. We all have a great working relationship. We bust on each other in person but not like this. This is dumb. We had a Trooper who thought she was better and wrote her own and Deputies but her work ethics cost her her job as a trooper. Come on people this crazy. Who cares what uniform you wear. Ill back up up an cop PERIOD.

Deputy Sheriff
Sarasota SO

Next topic......

04-16-2007, 05:21 PM
I can say the same for Sarasota. We all have a great working relationship. We bust on each other in person but not like this. This is dumb. We had a Trooper who thought she was better and wrote her own and Deputies but her work ethics cost her her job as a trooper. Come on people this crazy. Who cares what uniform you wear. Ill back up up an cop PERIOD.

Deputy Sheriff
Sarasota SO

Next topic......

I work for PBSO and I love sitting in the median up North County with my Trooper brother and sisters. Doesn't seem to be an issue down here. We all have that one person who would write his or her own mother. Every agency has one period. No cop is better than another; we all do the same job. God Speed and stay safe!

04-16-2007, 05:53 PM
The problem is with the PASCO County troop. Those guys just don't get what the brotherhood is all about.

I too agree that Hillsborough County and south to Miami, the troopers are a different breed. I appreciate our brotherhood and hope PASCO can change their ways.

Trooper FRYE, You are responsible for this entire explosion on LEO Affairs. Bad decisions burn bridges and you sir put many of your fellow troopers lives in danger.

Many cops will still help you when the shit hits the fan but what happens when the one who is closest to you won't. Wake up!

04-16-2007, 10:11 PM
Hell, if a trooper is murdered, the FHP doesn't even investigate the case!!! Instead, the local (real) police or the local sheriff conduct the investigation!!! The reason FHP will never investigate the murder of a trooper is because they aren't statutorily allowed to. The only exception is if it is a traffic homicide.
Is there any truth to this??? Why wouldn't the Florida State Police investigate the murder of one of their own??? I find this hard to believe.

04-16-2007, 10:15 PM
The same crap all the time, The PD's thing they are god. All I have to say is Law Enforcement is the same. We have Troopers that arrest on everything. I worked down in south Florida as a Trooper. I have arrested people on trespassing, domestics, and agg assault and all the other crap you speak of it's only paper work not rocket science. The Trooper's you talk about, not arresting anyone for those crimes are lazy. They are scared. You can not put every Trooper in the same hat. We are all different. Alot of us came from other department's, or military police. We were tired of those arrest we wanted a change. If you think for one minute that big arrest don't come from traffic you are wrong. I have seen many deputies and PD officers let people go for crimes that they should be arrested for, so it is not just Troopers. I am tired of people coming on here bashing us all the time. Give your name SUPER COP. I want to talk you your fellow officers and see if you are the cop of the year. Hell I might elected you mayor. The way you talk you are the man. A Devil Dog for 12 years wow, SWAT, I am amazed by your talent. Well SUPER COP lead us to the promise land. I will follow you into battle on your word alone. Have a good day and feel free to post your impressive resume on the FHp blog anytime.

04-16-2007, 11:02 PM
How can any of you hope to command respect from your brothers in Law Enforcement or the public you serve, if you can't get over what seems to be nothing more than kindergarten playground bullying BS.

Grow up. My goodness, I never realized SO's and PD's were such babies. I haven't seen such childishness from people who were supposed to be the "up standing" maturer, honorable folks of our state. SHOW IT!! Grow up!!!

I hope the majority of Law Enforcement is not like you folks. Just makes me proud to pay my taxes...

04-17-2007, 02:05 AM
[quote="howdy partner":1aap1rdb]Hell, if a trooper is murdered, the FHP doesn't even investigate the case!!! Instead, the local (real) police or the local sheriff conduct the investigation!!! The reason FHP will never investigate the murder of a trooper is because they aren't statutorily allowed to. The only exception is if it is a traffic homicide.
Is there any truth to this??? Why wouldn't the Florida State Police investigate the murder of one of their own??? I find this hard to believe.[/quote:1aap1rdb]

There is NO Florida State Police.

The Florida Highway Patrol is part of the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles and their job is Highway Patrol.

There is a separate state law enforcement investigative agency - the Florida Department of Law Enforcement. Their primary mission is forensic support of the County Sheriff's and City police throughout the state. They also do selected "sensitive" investigations that involve state officials and a variety of other things. They are not uniformed.

04-17-2007, 02:06 AM
[quote="howdy partner":3rvet0do]Hell, if a trooper is murdered, the FHP doesn't even investigate the case!!! Instead, the local (real) police or the local sheriff conduct the investigation!!! The reason FHP will never investigate the murder of a trooper is because they aren't statutorily allowed to. The only exception is if it is a traffic homicide.
Is there any truth to this??? Why wouldn't the Florida State Police investigate the murder of one of their own??? I find this hard to believe.[/quote:3rvet0do]

The Florida Dept. of Law Enforcement (State Bureau of Investigations) investigates the death of a trooper, or anyone a trooper has to kill or dies while in his or her custody. New Jersey cop, dont believe half the crap you read on here. We would never leave something like that up to the locals. Some people like to stir it up here. I wouldnt believe anything howdy doody post. Hes a Wakenhut guard who plays on the bosses computer at night while hes in between cleaning the crappers.

04-17-2007, 02:49 AM
I've come to the conclusion that Howdy Partner is a complete and utter idiot. I believe that he is a defense attorney who is not worth a sh!t in the real world and all he has to do with his time is get on this website and pollute the world with his B.S. The next time you get stopped by a trooper, please express your views to him in person as you have here, or even flag one over the next time you see one.
I forgot, I over estimated you, that takes balls and Im sure thats something you dont have. Have a nice day.

04-17-2007, 03:32 AM
[quote="howdy partner":2frpaglo]Hell, if a trooper is murdered, the FHP doesn't even investigate the case!!! Instead, the local (real) police or the local sheriff conduct the investigation!!! The reason FHP will never investigate the murder of a trooper is because they aren't statutorily allowed to. The only exception is if it is a traffic homicide.
Is there any truth to this??? Why wouldn't the Florida State Police investigate the murder of one of their own??? I find this hard to believe.[/quote:2frpaglo]

The only diffirence between here and New Jersey is in New Jersey the state uniform div. is part of the state investigative bureau. This forms the New Jersey State Police. Their troopers are sharp, aggressive and well paid, Florida could learn a lot from them. In Florida, the state uniform div. is separate from the investigative div. This is a political move that makes the sheriffs of this state fell less threatend by a state police and more powerful politically. Imagine if the uniform div. of the New Jersey state police were under highway safety and the investigative bureau was under the New Jersey Dept of Law Enforcemet. then you would have what you have in Florida. Seems as arse backwards to me as it would you.

04-17-2007, 11:51 AM
Wrong, that is not the only difference. In New Jersey, the state police take calls in unincorporated areas. They are not just responsible for traffic like the FHP is here. Big difference, thats why they are the State Police and here its just the Highway Patrol, get it???

04-17-2007, 01:26 PM
Wrong, that is not the only difference. In New Jersey, the state police take calls in unincorporated areas. They are not just responsible for traffic like the FHP is here. Big difference, thats why they are the State Police and here its just the Highway Patrol, get it???
Very well written.

The NJ State Police (NJSP) cannot be compared with the Florida Highway Patrol (FHP). The NJSP is a full service police agency whereas the FHP is a traffic enforcement agency. If you disagree with this, then it proves that you're an illiterate fool. Grow a set and admit that you're wrong! :roll:

Yes, I do have a problem with a lot of holier than thou FHP troopers. Not all, but many. The next time I get stopped and lectured and yelled at, I'm gonna tell the trooper "Either shut up and write me a ticket or let me go, but I don't have to sit here and listen to you yell at me. I don't yell at citizens when I pull them over and I'm sure as hell not going to let you yell at me." :twisted:

Many FHP troopers develop "tunnel vision" for traffic enforcement because that's all they do. It warps their thinking. There is more to life then catching speeders, but many troopers only focus on speeding, which warps their thinking.

Been There, Done That
04-17-2007, 02:15 PM
Let me clear up some confusion here. Cops, be we FHP, County or PD's DO NOT HAVE POWER ! ! ! We have AUTHORITY UNDER THE LAW ! ! !
Of course FHP trains their Troopers they are the ELITE. Its an academy isnt it? They want them to be PROUD of their agency because the pride shows on the outside. Unfortunately for them, they are a State agency and dont get paid very well. I work for a county and as slick sleeve deputy I make about what an FHP Lt. makes. I get along well with the troopers in my area. We try to get them to apply with us from time to time, but for reasons of their own, they stay. If you enjoy your workplace, more power to you ! ! I do things FHP would have problems working ONLY because they dont work it often. And I dont do many DUI's and HATE accidents...so I am not very good at them. In fact, i would probably screw up a DUI badly.

In short, lets just all get along. When one of us gets shot, the other will come running to our aid anyway. We all get the same size font on the National LEO Memorial Wall.

04-17-2007, 06:54 PM

Your a smart guy. What do think the post said. IF New Jersey was set up like Florida, they would be highway patrol as well. IF Florida was set up like New Jersey, troopers would be anserwing calls in unicorporated areas. Your right, there is a big diffirence. GOT IT????

04-17-2007, 07:32 PM
I read somewhere on here where Virginia was referred to as a true state police by someone. Watching the news yesterday regarding the terrible event that ocurred at VT, I noticed that there were a lot of sheriff deputies, sheriff swatt and their patrol cars had call 911 on the side of them. The sheriffs office there has a pretty substantial operations. Guess you can have a powerful sheriff and a state police all work together.

04-17-2007, 10:24 PM
I read somewhere on here where Virginia was referred to as a true state police by someone. Watching the news yesterday regarding the terrible event that ocurred at VT, I noticed that there were a lot of sheriff deputies, sheriff swatt and their patrol cars had call 911 on the side of them. The sheriffs office there has a pretty substantial operations. Guess you can have a powerful sheriff and a state police all work together.
You're right: Virginia has a state police and also has powerful sheriff departments. By law, the sheriff is the top dog, but in reality, the troopers are pretty much the top dogs.

The state police seem to have more power in Northern Virginia where a lot of the sheriff departments have either been abolished or neutered or relegated to serving papers or just running jails. Fairfax County is a weird example of that. But in Central Virginia and Southern Virginia, sheriff departments haven't been neutered. Most of the neutering has happened in Northern Virginia or, specifically, in the DC metro area (the Virginia part).

In Virginia, a citizen could be giving a deputy sheriff or a municipal police officer a lot of lip, but whenever a state trooper showed up, the citizen usually shut up and started showing respect. You have to see it to believe it. BTW, I was a cop in Virginia before coming to Florida.

04-18-2007, 03:18 AM
You're right: Virginia has a state police and also has powerful sheriff departments. By law, the sheriff is the top dog, but in reality, the troopers are pretty much the top dogs.

The state police seem to have more power in Northern Virginia where a lot of the sheriff departments have either been abolished or neutered or relegated to serving papers or just running jails. Fairfax County is a weird example of that. But in Central Virginia and Southern Virginia, sheriff departments haven't been neutered. Most of the neutering has happened in Northern Virginia or, specifically, in the DC metro area (the Virginia part).

In Virginia, a citizen could be giving a deputy sheriff or a municipal police officer a lot of lip, but whenever a state trooper showed up, the citizen usually shut up and started showing respect. You have to see it to believe it. BTW, I was a cop in Virginia before coming to Florida.

Guess you couldnt make it as a trooper in either state. That obviously explains your dislike for state troopers.

04-18-2007, 10:41 AM
Guess you couldnt make it as a trooper in either state. That obviously explains your dislike for state troopers.
I respect the Virginia State Police troopers because they are a full service police agency, but I have nothing but contempt for the Florida Highway Patrol because they are not a full service police agency and they are limited to "traffic enforcement."

I never applied to be a trooper in Virginia and when I came to Florida, I didn't apply to be a FHP trooper because I thought that they were the cream of the crop and I didn't think I'd be able to get hired by them, due to their strict standards. However, after working in law enforcement in Florida for one year, I quickly realized that: FHP is low paid.[/*:m:3afb0eek]
FHP can't hold onto troopers (they quit for good reason).[/*:m:3afb0eek]
FHP isn't a full service police agency.[/*:m:3afb0eek]
FHP is limited to "traffic enforcement" (triple A with a badge).[/*:m:3afb0eek]
FHP has some weirdos working for them. Some troopers are good, hardworking, honest people, but others are just wack jobs. [/*:m:3afb0eek]
Many FHP troopers have a reputation for writing other cops for chickenshit civil violations, which makes other cops scratch their heads (espicially visiting cops from other states). Virginia troopers don't have that kind of a weird reputation, like FHP troopers do. [/*:m:3afb0eek]
Many FHP troopers develop "tunnel vision" because all they do is traffic enforcement. Virginia troopers don't develop "tunnel vision" with traffic enforcement because they are busy doing all kinds of police work because they are a full service police agency, unlike FHP.[/*:m:3afb0eek]Mannnnnnnn I could go on and on about how weird FHP is --- and a lot of other cops agree with me. Many troopers are squared away, but geeze the high number of "weirdo troopers" destroys the image and reputation of the entire Florida Highway Patrol. It's really really sad and I don't see it ever changing. Even worse, the public is starting to become aware of these issues, due to the medium of the internet where information is exchanged lickety split, statewide and nationwide. FHP has issues. Sad Sad Sad. :cry: :?

I have no ill will towards the normal FHP troopers. I only hate the weirdo FHP troopers --- you know who you are.

04-18-2007, 08:06 PM
Many FHP troopers have a reputation for writing other cops for chickenshit civil violations, which makes other cops scratch their heads (espicially visiting cops from other states). Virginia troopers don't have that kind of a weird reputation, like FHP troopers do.
Many FHP troopers develop "tunnel vision" because all they do is traffic enforcement. Virginia troopers don't develop "tunnel vision" with traffic enforcement because they are busy doing all kinds of police work because they are a full service police agency, unlike FHP.[/list]

No way am I going to sit here and let you get away with that false statement.

I worked for years as a plain clothes federal agent, living at different times in Maryland and Virginia.

The Virginia State Police have a lousy reputation for their practice of writing traffic tickets to other law enforcement officers. (No, I never got a ticket, so I have no axe to grind in that regard.)

If you visit some other "cop message boards" you will find lots of gripes from LEOs in the northeast who complain about getting traffic tickets when passing through Virginia on the way to Florida.

One Virginia State Police officer, when asked why he wrote traffic tickets to fellow LEOs, is famously quoted as saying that he had to in order to show enough activity because "almost everyone around here (Washington, DC) carries a badge of some kind."

So, contrary to what you say Virginia troopers DO have that kind of a weird reputation, like FHP troopers do.

:P :P :P

04-18-2007, 09:42 PM
What was that you say? Not every department is perfect w/ the perfect people......well Dam. Theres a new one??. Thanks for the defense brother, and do take care!

04-19-2007, 12:31 AM
Well Howdy, there you go. Every dept in the country has them from the locals to the state troopers. Why dont you do us all a favor and go to the Virginia State Police website and ***** at them for awhile since they too :D are also obviously known for writing other cops. :D

04-19-2007, 01:29 AM
While I will agree that VSP are a full service police agency and are not at all like the FHP, I will disagree with the fact that VSP does not carry a reputation for citing other LEO's.

VSP is the agency responsible for citing the lead car for speeding in a Katrina convoy.

With that said, FHP also has this reputation. I know TPD has had ours the same with HCSO, but not to the extent of FHP. It seems like whenever some asshole retires from FHP (ie KING), another one rises (FRYE).

Whenever you hear about it coming from a TPD officer its usually an isolated incident involving bad blood between the stopping officer and the officer who commited a traffic violation. I can't remember the last time a TPD cop cited another brother for doing 13 over, now that is uncalled for. I wouldn't write a civilian for that much less a brother.

04-19-2007, 04:06 AM
I am tired of coming on here and all I see is someone stirring the pot, like always. All agencies have a different function. The deputy that stirred the pot again is lucky that the Sheriff's deparments are so strong because if they didnt cry all the time about having all the power then there would be a Florida State Police. So lets face it. All SO and PD's have the same problem we do. They all have a few that just dont get it. I believe very strongly in the brotherhood of Law Enforcement. I am not in charge of the few that cant get on board. I have done your job and i wanted a change, I like working traffic. I know you so called real cops are like whatever you left because you couldn't hack it, that is not the case I just got a little tired of playing a marriage counselor. He hit me, his music is loud, he's my neighbor and he bother's me take him to jail. whatever. To all the super cops dont judge all Trooper's by a few that wont get with the program. If you do then I am sorry we are not all super cops like you and that you are the police department and you are the greatest. I know your job and I know what you do. Any major case gets turn over to the detective's but I bet you are very good and holding a scene or let me guess you already have the case solved before the get there, because you are that good. Well go get em. I have been in this game for 20 year i spent my first 10 year as a deputy so I know what you do so do not try to pass that crap that we are real cops and Trooper are triple A with a badge. When I was a Deputy I never had a problem with a Trooper. They always treated me with respect. THe one's I knew where hard workers and take any case the ran up on. I guess maybe you are just meeting the wrong Trooper's. So if you want to bash a Trooper go on you own blog not this one

04-19-2007, 10:31 PM
I am a detective. Just FYI!

04-20-2007, 03:03 AM
I am tired of coming on here and all I see is someone stirring the pot, like always. All agencies have a different function. The deputy that stirred the pot again is lucky that the Sheriff's deparments are so strong because if they didnt cry all the time about having all the power then there would be a Florida State Police. So lets face it. All SO and PD's have the same problem we do. They all have a few that just dont get it. I believe very strongly in the brotherhood of Law Enforcement. I am not in charge of the few that cant get on board. I have done your job and i wanted a change, I like working traffic. I know you so called real cops are like whatever you left because you couldn't hack it, that is not the case I just got a little tired of playing a marriage counselor. He hit me, his music is loud, he's my neighbor and he bother's me take him to jail. whatever. To all the super cops dont judge all Trooper's by a few that wont get with the program. If you do then I am sorry we are not all super cops like you and that you are the police department and you are the greatest. I know your job and I know what you do. Any major case gets turn over to the detective's but I bet you are very good and holding a scene or let me guess you already have the case solved before the get there, because you are that good. Well go get em. I have been in this game for 20 year i spent my first 10 year as a deputy so I know what you do so do not try to pass that crap that we are real cops and Trooper are triple A with a badge. When I was a Deputy I never had a problem with a Trooper. They always treated me with respect. THe one's I knew where hard workers and take any case the ran up on. I guess maybe you are just meeting the wrong Trooper's. So if you want to bash a Trooper go on you own blog not this one

Well said brother. Be safe and watch 6.

04-23-2007, 05:44 PM
I don't know if this was posted earlier but....FHP works under DHSMV, ALL other agencies work for FDLE...enough said. :lol:

04-24-2007, 01:48 AM
I don't know if this was posted earlier but....FHP works under DHSMV, ALL other agencies work for FDLE...enough said. :lol:

FDLE sets the statewide standards for leo's, the only agency they have under them is capital police. Knowledge is power, use it.

04-24-2007, 02:05 AM

I know of this FHP Sgt. that tried to come over to an S.O. here in south Florida. He didn't do that great during his FTO assignment and as fate would have it, after he went out on the road on his own, within 2 weeks he left and went back to FHP. He just couldn't hack the type of calls that the S.O. dealt with, after all, he was raised in Tallahassee to use the 316, 320 statutes to solve all his problems and then as a Sgt. he did even less road work so when someone thinks that a transition can be made "WITH EASE" be careful in what you speak of, apparently it did not go all as planned for this guy. Oh, and just for the record, I don't know of any city cop or county deputy that aspires to be a trooper, we can't afford the paycut!

04-24-2007, 11:27 AM
I know of this FHP Sgt. that tried to come over to an S.O. here in south Florida. He didn't do that great during his FTO assignment and as fate would have it, after he went out on the road on his own, within 2 weeks he left and went back to FHP. He just couldn't hack the type of calls that the S.O. dealt with, after all, he was raised in Tallahassee to use the 316, 320 statutes to solve all his problems and then as a Sgt. he did even less road work so when someone thinks that a transition can be made "WITH EASE" be careful in what you speak of, apparently it did not go all as planned for this guy. Oh, and just for the record, I don't know of any city cop or county deputy that aspires to be a trooper, we can't afford the paycut!
We had a local trooper who tried to get on with the city and with the county, but nobody would hire her. The fact that she was a trooper didn't matter. You can keep her. I guess you'll have to since nobody will hire her. ;)

04-24-2007, 07:54 PM

Howdy there Doody, I know of this city officer who went through the FHP crossover training academy and he didnt make it out of FTO before he quit, took a pay cut and went back to his old job. Not everyone is made to be a trooper as some troopers are not made to be locals. Everyone does what makes them happy. You know, like you love to ***** and complain on this website. Whats next, you dont like how we keep the grass cut at our stations.

04-25-2007, 03:17 AM
TROOPER, that cop you were refering to, did he/she come from the Waldo police department?

You stated they took a paycut to go back to their old job, must not have been a real agency if they get payed less than FHP. I could take a job as a McDonalds manager and make more than a Troopers. I would still deal with more crime, all those 15-17 year olds pilfering the cash register and giving away free food.

In fact here you go in case you are interested..

http://www.mcdonalds.com/usa/work.html

04-25-2007, 12:37 PM
There is one agency in the US that IS elite, in a state that has NO counties and NO sheriff's. It has full police power anywhere in the state and has both a uniform and non uniform section under the same dept.

Who is it?

04-25-2007, 01:57 PM
There is one agency in the US that IS elite, in a state that has NO counties and NO sheriff's. It has full police power anywhere in the state and has both a uniform and non uniform section under the same dept.

Who is it?
Alaska has no counties and no sheriff departments. Additionally, the Alaska Department of Public Safety (http://www.dps.state.ak.us/ast/) is a full service police agency. The reason for this is because Alaska wasn't created until 1959, so the state is unencumbered by many common law traditions, such as the creation of sheriff departments.

Been There, Done That
04-25-2007, 10:57 PM

Who is it?
Alaska has no counties and no sheriff departments. Additionally, the Alaska Department of Public Safety (http://www.dps.state.ak.us/ast/) is a full service police agency. The reason for this is because Alaska wasn't created until 1959, so the state is unencumbered by many common law traditions, such as the creation of sheriff departments.

THIS is how it should be nation wide ! ! In this day and age, it is only to a States benefit to have such a set up. Lets be real here. If i am a long way from home, i am NOT gonna get wrapped up in some minor traffic ticket and have to go back to wherever it is. In Florida, ALL can make felony arrests outside their home jurisdictions. It should be this way for misdemeanors as well. Put the "habeus grabus" on them IF NEEDED and call the locals for treansport. WE DO OUR OWN ROUGH/PC ! !
The flying situation is about the same mess. Full time LEO's should be allowed to fly armed. There should be a special FAA approved training class. I doubt the guys with muskrats on their faces will try a plane again, but better safe than sorry.

04-26-2007, 01:20 AM
TROOPER, that cop you were refering to, did he/she come from the Waldo police department?

You stated they took a paycut to go back to their old job, must not have been a real agency if they get payed less than FHP. I could take a job as a McDonalds manager and make more than a Troopers. I would still deal with more crime, all those 15-17 year olds pilfering the cash register and giving away free food.

The pay in north Florida is very low for some depts. There are plenty of them up here that start barely over 20k a year. In some parts of north Florida, troopers are the highest paid. 60k a year in south Florida is comparable to 35-40k a year here. The average cost of a family home can vary 100k from north to south Florida. Its like two diffirent states. You go and save McDonalds with all your superior crime fighting skills. Ask for a liter of cola.

04-26-2007, 01:30 AM

The pay in north Florida is very low for some depts. There are plenty of them up here that start barely over 20k a year. In some parts of north Florida, troopers are the highest paid. 60k a year in south Florida is comparable to 35-40k a year here. The average cost of a family home can vary 100k from north to south Florida. Its like two diffirent states. You go and save McDonalds with all your superior crime fighting skills. Ask for a liter of cola.

At least he would know what to do if someone stole that cola! Oh, I forgot you've worked off duty at Dillards...my bad. :lol:

04-26-2007, 01:41 AM

At least he would know what to do if someone stole that cola! Oh, I forgot you've worked off duty at Dillards...my bad. :lol:

Dillards was always good to the patrol. Working there just showed us how easy your real crime fighting jobs are. Bag em, tag em and wait for another happy customer. Nothing to it.

04-26-2007, 01:47 AM

Dillards was always good to the patrol. Working there just showed us how easy your real crime fighting jobs are. Bag em, tag em and wait for another happy customer. Nothing to it.

Half of their case are no prosecution because Troopers are too dumb to write a good PC. Usually they call us to take the call at Dillard's. They got the detail because someone's family was a Trooper. What a joke. FHP tried working details in neighborhoods, but the residents realized how dumb they were and went back to the city. In the end, FHP will not prevail.

04-26-2007, 01:52 AM

Sure they are easy. You wouldn't know what to do with a home invasion, a rape, and child abuse, sexual battery on a minor, conducting a controlled phone call, responding to an active shooter, setting up a perimeter for a burglary in progress, a forgery, identify theft, and everything else related to everyday police work. I'm very well versed on 316, 320 long forms, short forms, and yes I'm THI certified as well as DRE certified. I do more traffic in my city than a Trooper does in the same area. Grow up guys, FHP is better than everyone.

04-26-2007, 01:58 AM

Half of their case are no prosecution because Troopers are too dumb to write a good PC. Usually they call us to take the call at Dillard's. They got the detail because someone's family was a Trooper. What a joke. FHP tried working details in neighborhoods, but the residents realized how dumb they were and went back to the city. In the end, FHP will not prevail.

Must of been a big family cause FHP had just about all the Dillards wrapped up in south FL. Anyway, I cant help it that you have a hard on for FHP for whatever reason. Dont know what to tell you other than re-apply.

04-26-2007, 02:15 AM

Sure they are easy. You wouldn't know what to do with a home invasion, a rape, and child abuse, sexual battery on a minor, conducting a controlled phone call, responding to an active shooter, setting up a perimeter for a burglary in progress, a forgery, identify theft, and everything else related to everyday police work. I'm very well versed on 316, 320 long forms, short forms, and yes I'm THI certified as well as DRE certified. I do more traffic in my city than a Trooper does in the same area. Grow up guys, FHP is better than everyone.

Sorry, I overlooked your last post, Yeah, you mentioned a lot of things that I have not directly worked. I've done 6 of the 9 things you listed. Its all about on the job training. If troopers were to start working these things, it would'nt take us long to figure it out. If you learned it, anyone can, even though you forwarded most of that stuff to an investigator. A trooper is the uniform and the investigator all in one.

04-26-2007, 03:01 AM

Why would FHP be working a detail in a neighborhood thats within a city in the first place. This makes no sense. The city is supposed to handle all law enforcement functions within its jurisdiction. Its even FHP's policy not to patrol within a city. Guess this is someone who's trying to blow smoke up someones arse.

04-26-2007, 06:26 PM
[quote="Anonymous":1i7zxx9k]TROOPER, that cop you were refering to, did he/she come from the Waldo police department?

Why would FHP be working a detail in a neighborhood thats within a city in the first place. This makes no sense. The city is supposed to handle all law enforcement functions within its jurisdiction. Its even FHP's policy not to patrol within a city. Guess this is someone who's trying to blow smoke up someones arse.[/quote:1i7zxx9k]

FHP was working a detail in the city because they neighborhood didn't know the city worked details. Come to find out a Trooper lived in the area and that's how they got the detail. When the neighborhood found out FHP was charging them an arm and a leg as well as not provided good services they went back the city. A Trooper working a neighborhood is a joke. They don't get dispatched by the city or county so how would a Trooper know if a burglary in progress went out in the neighborhood? It wasn't safe, but it's over now.

04-26-2007, 07:07 PM
What neighborhood are we talking about smart guy?

04-26-2007, 11:37 PM

It's in West Palm Beach, dumb a**

04-27-2007, 01:29 AM

The trooper on-duty should have had a pager or something like that to be paged in the event something happened. I worked down there a few years ago, I dont recall having any neighborhoods to patrol while off-duty. Theres tons of off-duty down there, why not sit on the side of the road for 40-50 dollars an hour vrs. working a neighborhood. If I wanted to do that I would have applied with the locals.

04-27-2007, 01:53 AM

The trooper on-duty should have had a pager or something like that to be paged in the event something happened. I worked down there a few years ago, I dont recall having any neighborhoods to patrol while off-duty. Theres tons of off-duty down there, why not sit on the side of the road for 40-50 dollars an hour vrs. working a neighborhood. If I wanted to do that I would have applied with the locals.

FHP doesn't work any neighborhoods anymore in Palm Beach County. The locals took the all over, and I think there was only one. As a Trooper it's more effective to have locals do the neighborhoods. Even a pager takes 2-4 mins to notify. FHP isn't going to take a domestic, per UCR the locals have to take it. It's a lot quicker to have a dispatcher dispatch the call right to the radio. I like the highway. I wouldn't want to make house calls.

04-27-2007, 02:28 PM
Well i have news for FHP !! If you want to work the details, expect to take the paper that happens on your watch. I cant speak for anyone else, but if I get sent someplace where FHP is working a detail, I am leaving it in THEIR hands regardless if they like it or not. If you are not willing to do the paper, dont take the details. Since these type of calls are no big deal, you shouldnt mind anyway, right??????
If we see talking about the same neighborhood, the place is called Terracina and its on Jog betwen Belvedere and Southern....and the Troopers LOST the detail because teh guy who in charge of Security documented the Troopers leaving the site for 30 mint to 1 hour. NICE JOB GUYS.

04-28-2007, 08:43 PM
“FDLE sets the statewide standards for leo's, the only agency they have under them is capital police. Knowledge is power, use it”.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a common misnomer that is perpetuated by the FDLE. The FDLE is not the agency that sets the Standards and Training for Law Enforcement if Florida. That task is assigned by Florida Law to the Criminal Justice Standards & Training Commission. (CJSTC)-- http://www.fdle.state.fl.us/cjst/Commission/ . The Commission is not “A part of the FLDE”, it is a separate state entity charged with setting and enforcing Law Enforcement Standards for all Florida Law Enforcement (including the FDLE). The specific duties of the Commission are as follows:

Primary Responsibilities of the Commission
• Establish uniform minimum standards for the employment and training of full-time, part-time, and auxiliary law enforcement, and correctional and correctional probation officers.
• Establish and maintain officer training programs, curricula requirements, and certification of training schools and training school instructors.
• Certify officers who complete a Florida Basic Recruit Training Program, or who are diversely qualified through experience and training, and who meet minimum employment standards.
• Review and administer appropriate administrative sanctions in instances when an officer, a training school instructor, or a training school is found in violation of Florida Statutes and Commission standards.
• Promulgate rules and procedures to administer the requirements of Chapter 943.085 – 943.257, F.S.
• Conduct studies of compensation, education, and training for the correctional, correctional probation, and law enforcement disciplines.
• Maintain a central repository of records of all certified officers.
• Conduct quarterly meetings to discuss issues and make into law, policies that relate to officer standards and training.
• Develop, maintain, and administer the State Officer Certification Examination for criminal justice officers.
The CJSTC by agreement with the FDLE uses the resources of the FDLE to maintain the records for the Commission and performs the various ministerial duties for the Commission.

Knowledge is power and you should use it.

04-29-2007, 01:17 AM
Well i have news for FHP !! If you want to work the details, expect to take the paper that happens on your watch. I cant speak for anyone else, but if I get sent someplace where FHP is working a detail, I am leaving it in THEIR hands regardless if they like it or not. If you are not willing to do the paper, dont take the details. Since these type of calls are no big deal, you shouldnt mind anyway, right??????
If we see talking about the same neighborhood, the place is called Terracina and its on Jog betwen Belvedere and Southern....and the Troopers LOST the detail because teh guy who in charge of Security documented the Troopers leaving the site for 30 mint to 1 hour. NICE JOB GUYS.

That was another one they lost. This one was in the city limits of West Palm Beach. They are in the process of losing Greenacres Bowl to the city of Greenacres. Pretty soon FHP will be on the interstate for all their details. It's not like they don't make enough money doing that.

04-30-2007, 12:58 AM
“FDLE sets the statewide standards for leo's, the only agency they have under them is capital police. Knowledge is power, use it”.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a common misnomer that is perpetuated by the FDLE. The FDLE is not the agency that sets the Standards and Training for Law Enforcement if Florida. That task is assigned by Florida Law to the Criminal Justice Standards & Training Commission. (CJSTC)-- http://www.fdle.state.fl.us/cjst/Commission/ . The Commission is not “A part of the FLDE”, it is a separate state entity charged with setting and enforcing Law Enforcement Standards for all Florida Law Enforcement (including the FDLE). The specific duties of the Commission are as follows:

Primary Responsibilities of the Commission
• Establish uniform minimum standards for the employment and training of full-time, part-time, and auxiliary law enforcement, and correctional and correctional probation officers.
• Establish and maintain officer training programs, curricula requirements, and certification of training schools and training school instructors.
• Certify officers who complete a Florida Basic Recruit Training Program, or who are diversely qualified through experience and training, and who meet minimum employment standards.
• Review and administer appropriate administrative sanctions in instances when an officer, a training school instructor, or a training school is found in violation of Florida Statutes and Commission standards.
• Promulgate rules and procedures to administer the requirements of Chapter 943.085 – 943.257, F.S.
• Conduct studies of compensation, education, and training for the correctional, correctional probation, and law enforcement disciplines.
• Maintain a central repository of records of all certified officers.
• Conduct quarterly meetings to discuss issues and make into law, policies that relate to officer standards and training.
• Develop, maintain, and administer the State Officer Certification Examination for criminal justice officers.
The CJSTC by agreement with the FDLE uses the resources of the FDLE to maintain the records for the Commission and performs the various ministerial duties for the Commission.

Knowledge is power and you should use it.

You are right, I stand to be corrected. Thanks for the info.

04-30-2007, 01:09 AM

FHP doesn't work any neighborhoods anymore in Palm Beach County. The locals took the all over, and I think there was only one. As a Trooper it's more effective to have locals do the neighborhoods. Even a pager takes 2-4 mins to notify. FHP isn't going to take a domestic, per UCR the locals have to take it. It's a lot quicker to have a dispatcher dispatch the call right to the radio. I like the highway. I wouldn't want to make house calls.

UCR's are done by FHP the same as any other dept. I agree with you on working domestics and stuff like that, but you can work them the same as anyone else. I've worked them and made arrest and never had a problem. If I'm not mistaken, the only thing that a trooper is not supposed to do is serve a court issued domestic violence injunction. That is handled by the sheriffs.

04-30-2007, 02:38 AM

Dont worry brother, if I'm working the detail, I would not pass anything over to a local while I'm there. Thats what we are paid to do. Troopers can work anything as long as they are willing to learn how to do it rather than pass it on.

05-01-2007, 06:43 PM

Dont worry brother, if I'm working the detail, I would not pass anything over to a local while I'm there. Thats what we are paid to do. Troopers can work anything as long as they are willing to learn how to do it rather than pass it on.

Except those pesky warrants for FTA-DWLSR. Those are tough we better call the locals.

trooper2143
05-10-2007, 10:58 PM
Troopers are taught that nothing can hurt them because they are the elite in law enforcement.

HAAAAAAA!!!! If FHP is the elite of law enforement in the State of Florida we are all in big trouble. Most of you guys have never investigated a real crime. Unless you goto traffic homicide investigator none of you ever will beyond a DUI. Most troopers wouldnt know what to do with witness information if it was thrown at them. Ive seen you guys sit there with your thumb up your arse when someone needed to goto jail for disorderly conduct or trespass after warning. Yall dont know what the hell to do. Troopers are outdated and obsolete. You guys write tickets, investigate accidents, write tickets, work off duty details doing nothing at all, write tickets. Youre barely cops and could easiily be absorbed by the Florida Sheriff's Offices.

ELITE?!?!?!? Oh my god thats funny. When's the last time FHP came into any county to show us how its done??? Maybe the north Florida County with 8 Deputies. And your SWAT team is a total joke. Decent equipment, crappy crappy training. Stupid Troopers with machine guns. BLAH AHHAHAH

Okay I really usually don't care what is written in these post. I actually find most things pretty funny, however I don't appreciate this one. I have been militery police and I have worked for A north Florida Sheriff's office before becoming a trooper. I am very proud of my job and of the officers I work with. I have been on both sides of the fence and I enjoy this career more than being a deputy. I have a very good working relationship with all of the other agencies. I will be the first to admit that we have some people that are real winners, but we are not all like that.

For you to sit there and say that we don't know how to do anything but work crashes and write cops tivkets is just ignorant. I would never talk about another agency the way you are speaking about ours. where I work we hold our brotherhood as a sacred society. Another thing I have taken calls when the sheriff's office was busy. I have worked aggravated battery's and an attempted murder. I have recieved convictions on both. We, with the exception of a few, Know how to do our jobs and do it well.

Please think before you start spouting off at the mouth. I would appreciate it. I don't knock your job so don't knock mine.

05-11-2007, 06:49 AM
u went from MP to deputy to trooper. You have extensive and varied experience. Im glad you found your niche, but most troopers came from civilian life and dont have the same experiences.

05-12-2007, 11:21 PM
Okay I really usually don't care what is written in these post. I actually find most things pretty funny, however I don't appreciate this one. I have been militery police and I have worked for A north Florida Sheriff's office before becoming a trooper. I am very proud of my job and of the officers I work with. I have been on both sides of the fence and I enjoy this career more than being a deputy. I have a very good working relationship with all of the other agencies. I will be the first to admit that we have some people that are real winners, but we are not all like that.

For you to sit there and say that we don't know how to do anything but work crashes and write cops tivkets is just ignorant. I would never talk about another agency the way you are speaking about ours. where I work we hold our brotherhood as a sacred society. Another thing I have taken calls when the sheriff's office was busy. I have worked aggravated battery's and an attempted murder. I have recieved convictions on both. We, with the exception of a few, Know how to do our jobs and do it well.

Please think before you start spouting off at the mouth. I would appreciate it. I don't knock your job so don't knock mine.
Okay, both you and I know that the vast majority of Florida State Troopers are outstanding people, but they don't get credit for it. Instead, we get about 3% of the troopers who are idiots and they give the other 97% of troopers a bad name. It shouldn't happen, but it has. They are d-i-c-k-s and they don't know it and they treat other cops like s-h-i-t, which pisses off the cops!!! I recoginize that 97% of all the troopers out there are good eggs. The complaint isn't against them. It's against the idiots who they they are way above the rest of us when, in fact, they are below us. That's our perception. Getting "lectured" by someone that we see as our inferior just pisses us off -- and it gives all troopers a bad name (unjustifiably -- but it still happens).

05-13-2007, 12:15 AM
I dont know any troopers that judge ALL city and county cops the same based on the actions of a few.

05-13-2007, 02:19 PM
I dont know any troopers that judge ALL city and county cops the same based on the actions of a few.
If an officer from my department were to write an officer of another department a civil infraction without any extenuating circumstances (i.e. a crash, a DUI, etc...), then we would beat his azz. Okay, maybe we wouldn't actually batter him, but we'd "put'em in his place" and he would never be able to live it down. He would be blackballed and nobody within the agency would talk to him. He would be all alone with little to no back-up. Maybe that's why county deputies and city officers don't write other cops tickets??? Plus, we rely on each other for back-up. We treat each other with respect and we don't write BS civil tickets to other cops for doing 14 mph over the speed limit (or whatever civil infraction you want to drum up); and we certainly don't "lecture" or "yell at" other cops, simply because they committed a civil fraction. Some troopers DO DO that!!!! :roll:

And we all know it. :?

05-13-2007, 08:13 PM
If an officer from my department were to write an officer of another department a civil infraction without any extenuating circumstances (i.e. a crash, a DUI, etc...), then we would beat his azz. Okay, maybe we wouldn't actually batter him, but we'd "put'em in his place" and he would never be able to live it down. He would be blackballed and nobody within the agency would talk to him. He would be all alone with little to no back-up. Maybe that's why county deputies and city officers don't write other cops tickets??? Plus, we rely on each other for back-up. We treat each other with respect and we don't write BS civil tickets to other cops for doing 14 mph over the speed limit (or whatever civil infraction you want to drum up); and we certainly don't "lecture" or "yell at" other cops, simply because they committed a civil fraction. Some troopers DO DO that!!!! :roll:

And we all know it. :?

You have the luxury of probably knowing everyone in your dept. There are hundreds of troopers out there that dont know each other and may work 500-600 miles away from each other. You cant judge the entire dept based on a handful of troopers.

05-15-2007, 09:29 PM
Howdy partner I am pretty sick of seeing your posts on this thread. Your comment "...would receive little to no back up..." demonstrates just exactly how good of a cop you are. For you to make that statement disgusts me and leads me to believe that you are a bitter old timer who probably is never satisfied! I am sure you are not well liked within your own dept. because you spread hate and discontent. Most likely your evaluations say "doesnt play well with others..."

Get back to your cross draw holster and get a life, stupid red neck! :evil:

05-16-2007, 12:38 PM
Howdy partner I am pretty sick of seeing your posts on this thread. Your comment "...would receive little to no back up..." demonstrates just exactly how good of a cop you are. For you to make that statement disgusts me and leads me to believe that you are a bitter old timer who probably is never satisfied! I am sure you are not well liked within your own dept. because you spread hate and discontent. Most likely your evaluations say "doesnt play well with others..."

Get back to your cross draw holster and get a life, stupid red neck! :evil:
There now, do you feel better? :roll:

So anyways, as I was saying...

I would not ax the Florida Highway Patrol -- abolishing it will never happen. Every state needs some sort of "representation" and Florida has FHP as our token. For that reason, FHP is here to stay -- forever. However, as long as the Florida Sheriff's Association remains a powerful political block in Florida, then FHP will never become a full-service police agency e.g. a state police. Have you ever wondered about the politics that have kept FHP's pay so low??? Think about it. ;)

05-19-2007, 09:19 AM

I would not ax the Florida Highway Patrol -- abolishing it will never happen. Every state needs some sort of "representation" and Florida has FHP as our token. For that reason, FHP is here to stay -- forever. However, as long as the Florida Sheriff's Association remains a powerful political block in Florida, then FHP will never become a full-service police agency e.g. a state police. Have you ever wondered about the politics that have kept FHP's pay so low??? Think about it. ;)

I SUPPOSE YOU FEEL THE SAME WAY WHEN A CONTINGENT OF THE FHP ROLL UP...
JUST AFTER THE TORNADO TOUCHES DOWN; OR
WHEN THE HURRICANE PASSES THROUGH AND YOUR AGENCY IS SO OVER-WHELMED YOU NEED RELIEF; OR
WHEN THE NATIVES GET RESTLESS AND CIVIL INSURRECTION ERUPTS; OR
WHEN THE TRAIN DERAILS THAT WAS LOADED WITH HAZ-MAT; OR
WILDFIRE IS CONSUMING YOUR PATROL ZONE AT A RAPID RATE; OR
THE RIVER HAS BREECHED ITS BANKS AND YOUR GOING DOWN FOR THE 3RD TIME; OR
WHEN THAT FELON ESCAPES AND YOUR RESOURCES WON'T LET YOU SECURE AND ENFORCE A PERIMETER.
NEED I CONTINUE?
THE LIST OF EXTRAORDINARY DUTIES A "TROOPER" PERFORMS MAKES THEM "ELITE"!
YOU DON'T SEE THE GOVERNOR CALLING ANYONE ELSE WHEN THE FECAL MATTER HITS THE OSCILLATING ROTATOR.

05-19-2007, 03:13 PM
How do those things make your agency "elite". It sure is not any special training, broader police powers or anything of the sort. The main thing is the fact that you have state-wide jurisdiction. So what, it does not make any of you elite, just differant. To be elite, you would have to have something over and above everyone else in terms of training and mission. You do have that, so you are not "elite". Elite would maybe people who are SWAT trained, some other type of extra specialized training. As far as the crap you was spewing about natural disasters, give me a break. When we got tore up by hurricane Charley a couple of years ago, it was the local agancies who responded and assisted us right away. Took you all a couple of days to show up. Hell, we had FBI agents helping us as well as ICE, US Marshals, etc. These people stood at a bunch of our intersections for hours on end and directed traffic and everything. I saw you guys at one maybe two, and those people *****ed about that. I know, because I was there and I personally observed this myself. So get off of your high horse. The types of mission you described go mostly to the national guard any way.

05-19-2007, 10:31 PM
Hey "Give Me A Break" ! Didn't we see you in Mississippi after Katrina? Oh..My Bad. Sorry...I mistook you for someone special.
I guess you weren't part of the Elite after all.
You can always join us...If you can make the cut.
The app is on the FHP website http://www.fhp.state.fl.us
Peace! 8)

05-20-2007, 04:22 AM
Wow , you must be another person that did not pass the background check.

Carl Shawver
05-20-2007, 01:32 PM
Wow , you must be another person that did not pass the background check.

It appears to me that the poster of this message was attempting to imply that it was written by me.

It was not!

I am at a loss to understand why this was done.

A reminder: I recently had a "letter to the editor" published in the Tampa Tribune urging a significant raise in pay for FHP Troopers and a substantial increase in the number of Troopers in the patrol.

Best wishes, Troopers.

Carl D. Shawver, Hillsborough Co. S.O. (Retired)

:D

05-21-2007, 08:01 AM
Thanks Brother Shawver!
All Troopers appreciate what you've done.
God Bless in you in retirement.

05-28-2007, 05:18 AM
I saw this new show the other night called the Academy. It's about the LA County, CA. Sheriffs Office basic academy. Sure looked like FHP's academy up till the point they let them all go home for the night. I sure dont know of any local academy like that around Florida. Those boys in LA County got it together.

05-31-2007, 05:39 PM

I SUPPOSE YOU FEEL THE SAME WAY WHEN A CONTINGENT OF THE FHP ROLL UP...
JUST AFTER THE TORNADO TOUCHES DOWN; OR
WHEN THE HURRICANE PASSES THROUGH AND YOUR AGENCY IS SO OVER-WHELMED YOU NEED RELIEF; OR
WHEN THE NATIVES GET RESTLESS AND CIVIL INSURRECTION ERUPTS; OR
WHEN THE TRAIN DERAILS THAT WAS LOADED WITH HAZ-MAT; OR
WILDFIRE IS CONSUMING YOUR PATROL ZONE AT A RAPID RATE; OR
THE RIVER HAS BREECHED ITS BANKS AND YOUR GOING DOWN FOR THE 3RD TIME; OR
WHEN THAT FELON ESCAPES AND YOUR RESOURCES WON'T LET YOU SECURE AND ENFORCE A PERIMETER.
NEED I CONTINUE?
THE LIST OF EXTRAORDINARY DUTIES A "TROOPER" PERFORMS MAKES THEM "ELITE"!
YOU DON'T SEE THE GOVERNOR CALLING ANYONE ELSE WHEN THE FECAL MATTER HITS THE OSCILLATING ROTATOR.

BLAHH HAAA HAAA HAAAA!!!!!!!!!!! Oh my god now thats funny. The same FHP that employs the trooper that stopped a contingent of Deputies that were en route to Santa Rosa after the hurricane??? HAHAH. Those Troopers we dont need. Trroopers do one thing well, crashes. And well might be too strong of a word yet. You guys take forever to arrive, do nothing for traffic control and leave without a thank you after we directed traffic for your scene for an hour. And don't worry all the callls that are getting stacked on us while we wait for you arent your concern.

Troopers calls:

crashes (provided its not private property)
reckless drivers
speeders
traffic fatalities in unincorprated areas

Deputies & Officers calls:

thefts
robberies
burglaries
domestics
assaults
batteries
frauds
murders
fights
prowlers
child abuses
drownings
natural deaths
neighbor disputes
narcotics violations

-oh and-

crashes
reckless drivers
speeders
traffic fatalities

-and-

AOA to FHP for a crash they cannot respond to, thanks

05-31-2007, 06:54 PM
I GUESS YOU DIDN'T SEE THE NEWS LAST NIGHT WHERE THERE ARE TROOPERS ASSISTING, WITH WEAPONS DRAWN, LOOKING FOR THE THE DIRTBAGS WHO SHOT THE 2 OCSO DEPUTIES. WE ALL HAVE A PLACE IN LAW ENFORCEMENT. I NEED YOU JUST AS MUCH AS YOU NEED ME! WE ARE ALL A TEAM! CALL ME FOR BACK UP ANYTIME........[/b]

05-31-2007, 07:04 PM
You forgot one call: Looking like sh*t w/ your shirt untucked. Man? you respond to all that. Awesome.... we are proud of you and the job you choose to do. Thanks for keeping everyone safe, superman!

05-31-2007, 09:21 PM
Thank God Almighty I'm A Trooper! :evil:
I'd hate to have all that other ca ca de toro on my plate. Come to the light Deputy Dumb Butt! We'd love to have ya and we'll even take your lateral to a better thing...

05-31-2007, 11:07 PM
If a poll was done of Judges, attorneys, defendants and citizens in general, asking to rank Law Enforcement agencies by professionalism. The result would be #1 State Agencies, #2 County Agencies and last City Agencies. This is the reality. Like it or not.

06-01-2007, 12:37 AM
hahaha i interned at the PBC state attorneys office for 8 weeks. everytime, the 2 worst agencies to get a pc affidavit from were fhp and riv beach. u are in another world if you believe that. professional is not patent leather shoes and dumb hats. its experience, pride, ability and many other attributes combined together. DUI DUI DUI is about the only crime FHP sends through. FHP is so sad in PBC the sheriff has basically marginalized u guys. because of your size, FHP hires anybody. i wont delve too deep into this realm, but u all know what i mean.

there are plenty of agencies entrusted with state wide le authority in fl. all are very professional. its not a matter of who is better then who. its a function of what level of govt you work for. some of the best trained, best paid and busiest agencies are city agencies. youd be hard pressed to find a trooper working alone, in a boat in the ocean or river. fwc and dep do this all the time, and can work traffic. who really has the broadest police powers now??

in many northern states, the state police has earned the reputation, through time, performance and experience, of being an elite state police agency. they are granted broader authority and discretion. fhp is not this way. your discretion has been whittled away to zilch (must write ticket on sig 4, etc), your mission is very narrow and your recruits are out of highschool. many fhp troopers try to cash in on the surface similiarities between northern state police agencies and fhp. many joined fhp to be a trooper, thinking all is same just bc you are called a trooper. but the fhp has relied too heavily on their title and not enough on actual experience and or peformance to attain this elite status. many state leos are dispatched to civil unrest, hurricanes, etc. its not a matter of eliteness, its a matter of bodies in intersection, and to help local le IF they request it. think think think before you act. dispute my post all you want, but deep down we all know its true. trooper is a dynamic title. in northern usa, it denotes broad le authority, discretion and the ability to speak on behalf of the state govt. in fl, it means youre low paid, work on the highway and continually loses any discretion they ever had due to dumb policies.

Be good at what you do and take pride in what you do. dont ride the coat tails of other state agencies and live in fantasy land.

06-01-2007, 04:58 AM
I just re-read my post above and wanted to qualify some things i said. FHP rep with the SA's office isnt quite as bad as Riviera Beach. But RBPD is dealing with a shooting almost nightly and the complexity of their crimes are a bit more intense. However, considering FHP focuses exclusively on traffic, and mainly DUI, their investigations are not any better than the PD officer who works one or two a year. And their sig 4 reports, even with all the fancy computers, are usually shi*ty. PBSO dui unit sends some good stuff through ref. DUI. WPBPD too. Most agencies do, actually, bc its not that difficult of crime to prove. But those two agencies stand out.

All cops and departments have their weak traits, just like FHP. but at least most other cops recognize this.

Most attys and judges would rank state first huh? I know a lot of them that were never asked. FHP is marginalized and generally is not relevant when discussing LE related issues. believe me, all the new asst sa's get sent to traffic division where u cant screw up.

06-01-2007, 06:30 AM
I just re-read my post above and wanted to qualify some things i said. FHP rep with the SA's office isnt quite as bad as Riviera Beach. But RBPD is dealing with a shooting almost nightly and the complexity of their crimes are a bit more intense. However, considering FHP focuses exclusively on traffic, and mainly DUI, their investigations are not any better than the PD officer who works one or two a year. And their sig 4 reports, even with all the fancy computers, are usually shi*ty. PBSO dui unit sends some good stuff through ref. DUI. WPBPD too. Most agencies do, actually, bc its not that difficult of crime to prove. But those two agencies stand out.

All cops and departments have their weak traits, just like FHP. but at least most other cops recognize this.

Most attys and judges would rank state first huh? I know a lot of them that were never asked. FHP is marginalized and generally is not relevant when discussing LE related issues. believe me, all the new asst sa's get sent to traffic division where u cant screw up.

You cannot judge the entire FHP by whats in WPB. I have worked in WPB and thats one of the most screwed up places in this state to work. Yeah, FHP has a few bozo's there but they cant hold a candle to some of the locals in Palm Beach Co. that I've seen. PBSO and some of the other depts pay well but it cost an arm and leg to live there, not to mention all the arseholes who think they are above the law. You can carry on about how great things are there and how great all the elite local law enforcement is but your whole county sucks. I would not come back down there for Lt. Cols pay.

06-01-2007, 10:28 AM
Hey intern, I need another cup of coffee, then I need you to go pick up my dry cleaning

06-01-2007, 05:03 PM

Erm...I'm sure You meant "CLARIFY"...

Yeah--learn to read and write and perhaps you can join the elite FHP. :)

We take pride in our job.

By the way, you might want to clean up your nose there--looks like you have shit all over it. Keep kissing the SA's ass. Maybe you'll get somewhere...someday....when I'm retired :)

Kids...

06-02-2007, 12:17 AM
No contest smokies, we need you to work traffic crashes, we will handle the real stuff. Please just show up for wrecks so we can do our jobs and stop your incessant crying about how and what your jurisditional authority is. Nobody cares, you are traffic cops...simple, do your job and shut up.

06-02-2007, 12:21 AM
Oh my, no wonder you guys are so low paid, you spend your time on this blog instead of working wrecks and writing tickets for 5 miles over the limit. You want to be elite, be a real cop, or even better just do your stinkin job...

06-02-2007, 04:28 AM
Oh my, no wonder you guys are so low paid, you spend your time on this blog instead of working wrecks and writing tickets for 5 miles over the limit. You want to be elite, be a real cop, or even better just do your stinkin job...

I thought all the locals spent all their time on this blog. I think we should turn this website over to the locals, thats all thats on here. Seems to me all you locals have little man syndrome. I guess I would to if I were you. After all, ask any person in the country if they have heard of the FHP or Florida State Troopers and 99% of them will say they have, but ask if they have heard of a local dept in Florida and see what they tell you. Yea its got to suck for you guys, you have my sympathy.

06-02-2007, 02:07 PM

I thought all the locals spent all their time on this blog. I think we should turn this website over to the locals, thats all thats on here. Seems to me all you locals have little man syndrome. I guess I would to if I were you. After all, ask any person in the country if they have heard of the FHP or Florida State Troopers and 99% of them will say they have, but ask if they have heard of a local dept in Florida and see what they tell you. Yea its got to suck for you guys, you have my sympathy.[/quote

Oh yea they've heard about you!!! How low paid you are, how shitty of a job you do, how Tate's momma tried to coerce the system. Oh yea, you turds are great. As for real state police like New York, we've heard about them. Go pound sand Troop you're obviously as dumb as they come!

06-02-2007, 04:40 PM

I thought all the locals spent all their time on this blog. I think we should turn this website over to the locals, thats all thats on here. Seems to me all you locals have little man syndrome. I guess I would to if I were you. After all, ask any person in the country if they have heard of the FHP or Florida State Troopers and 99% of them will say they have, but ask if they have heard of a local dept in Florida and see what they tell you. Yea its got to suck for you guys, you have my sympathy.[/quote

Oh yea they've heard about you!!! How low paid you are, how shitty of a job you do, how Tate's momma tried to coerce the system. Oh yea, you turds are great. As for real state police like New York, we've heard about them. Go pound sand Troop you're obviously as dumb as they come!

Go you little man go. If this kind of talk and bashing makes the bannie rooster feel good up next to the big boys then good for you. If you locals think that all this bashing bothers any trooper on here your crazy. We only fire sh!t back at you because its fun to screw with people like you who dont have a clue. Remember its all in fun and we all cover each others arse in the end.

06-02-2007, 10:53 PM

Go you little man go. If this kind of talk and bashing makes the bannie rooster feel good up next to the big boys then good for you. If you locals think that all this bashing bothers any trooper on here your crazy. We only fire sh!t back at you because its fun to screw with people like you who dont have a clue. Remember its all in fun and we all cover each others arse in the end.

That is sooooooooooooooooooo TRUE!!!!!!!!! :P :P :P All in fun and at the end, I still gotcha BACK!!! 8) 8)

06-03-2007, 08:16 AM
Qualify, meaning to justify what I said I why I think what I think. Clarify would also be approriate. Kudos for the alternate verb usage. I know it's a big word, but try to stay with me. Also, im former LE, now in law school. An internship in the SAO's office is not uncommon for a 1st, 2nd or even 3rd year law student, especially a law student with a LE background. You should know that since it's mostly certified legal interns prosecuting misd. traffic cases, which is the predominant charge type sent through by FHP. In any event, I have many good memories working 10-12 with FHP and we got a lot of good work done. I did not work in PBC though. One of my closest friends is a trooper and I always ragged him a little bit, just like he did to me. All in fun, so calm down...and we're outta coffee.

06-05-2007, 11:49 PM
My God...I can't really believe what I am reading here! Current LEO with over 3 decades of experience. I have worked municipal and county law enforcement; one of which was out of State. What is up with FL Law Enf.? Many years ago I truly believed in the "Thin Blue Line" thing but I gotta tell ya, I honestly believe it is a farce in most places. What it is, is a feel good thing though, but is it really practiced? Just read some of these replies and it will answer the question for you. Why all this badgering of each other? For cryin' out loud guys/gals, aren't we all doing the same thing? Are we all not trying to do a job, get home safe, play with the kids, save for vacation and TRY to make a decent living by working our butts off with O/T and details? I have met several Troopers during my career and folks, they are simply people like us. I never met one with an "attitude" like they are better than anyone else. If you elect to "bash" any group (cops or not), should you not expect them to defend themselves. Come on....But who cares? Really...who cares? I could give a hoot what color car you drive, what it says on the side or what color uniform you wear or where you patrol. It is this immature "bashing" along with other things that at times, makes me a bit embarassed about what I do for a living and I hate feeling like that. I have always been proud of what I chose to do with my life. Come on troops (and I refer to all LEO's).....knock it off...enough.

06-06-2007, 04:07 PM
To those that say FHP troopers aren't real cops, why don't you come to Highlands County and tell Sergeant Sottile's family and friends he wasn't a real cop. He gave his life being a real cop, a trooper that served his state, his community and helped anyone who needed it, no matter the uniform or who they were.

I am a deputy, who does respond to calls in progress and what others would consider "real crimes", but those that say troopers don't do real police work, then you are the ones that aren't cops. Aparently you haven't done to many traffic stops and the person has a gun right under the seat or worse yet their hand is on it. My friend, Sgt. Sottile, was doing his job and conducting a traffic stop, because a piece of crap punk wanted to kill a cop, any cop, and got himself pulled over and shot him. No reason, didn't even know him. Now Nick won't get to enjoy retirement, didn't get to see his son get married or will never hold his grandchild...so those that say troopers aren't real cops, come tell us that and then we'll see about that...It is those that judge others in such a way as you do that are a disgrace to those that do this job for the right reasons. And if you have to ask what the right reasons are, then you aren't doing them.

06-06-2007, 04:37 PM
To those that say FHP troopers aren't real cops, why don't you come to Highlands County and tell Sergeant Sottile's family and friends he wasn't a real cop. He gave his life being a real cop, a trooper that served his state, his community and helped anyone who needed it, no matter the uniform or who they were.

I am a deputy, who does respond to calls in progress and what others would consider "real crimes", but those that say troopers don't do real police work, then you are the ones that aren't cops. Aparently you haven't done to many traffic stops and the person has a gun right under the seat or worse yet their hand is on it. My friend, Sgt. Sottile, was doing his job and conducting a traffic stop, because a piece of crap punk wanted to kill a cop, any cop, and got himself pulled over and shot him. No reason, didn't even know him. Now Nick won't get to enjoy retirement, didn't get to see his son get married or will never hold his grandchild...so those that say troopers aren't real cops, come tell us that and then we'll see about that...It is those that judge others in such a way as you do that are a disgrace to those that do this job for the right reasons. And if you have to ask what the right reasons are, then you aren't doing them.

Well said brother. Nick was a close personal friend of mine. He was a fine man and will be missed by all. Stay safe.