PDA

View Full Version : Police Officer Charged With Vehicular Homicide

04-10-2007, 10:02 PM
FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. -- A Fort Lauderdale police officer officially surrendered to authorities Monday, according to police.

After months of investigating by the Fort Lauderdale Police Department and the Broward County State Attorney's Office, state attorneys filed one count of vehicular homicide against Officer Alexander Griss.

On June 19 shortly before 5:30 a.m., a woman was hit and killed by a cruiser driven by Griss in the 2100 block of South Federal Highway, police said.

Police said Griss was finishing his shift and heading home in a marked patrol car when he hit 39-year-old Althea D. Tobias McKay, who stepped off the curb and into a lane of traffic. McKay of Lauderdale Lakes died at the scene.

The highway was shut down in both directions from the 1900 block to the 2300 block for about three hours while the crash was investigated.

Immediately following the incident, Griss called Fort Lauderdale Fire-Rescue who responded within minutes, according to police.

Griss is currently on administrative leave from the police department.

04-10-2007, 11:53 PM
FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. -- A Fort Lauderdale police officer officially surrendered to authorities Monday, according to police.

After months of investigating by the Fort Lauderdale Police Department and the Broward County State Attorney's Office, state attorneys filed one count of vehicular homicide against Officer Alexander Griss.

On June 19 shortly before 5:30 a.m., a woman was hit and killed by a cruiser driven by Griss in the 2100 block of South Federal Highway, police said.

Police said Griss was finishing his shift and heading home in a marked patrol car when he hit 39-year-old Althea D. Tobias McKay, who stepped off the curb and into a lane of traffic. McKay of Lauderdale Lakes died at the scene.

The highway was shut down in both directions from the 1900 block to the 2300 block for about three hours while the crash was investigated.

Immediately following the incident, Griss called Fort Lauderdale Fire-Rescue who responded within minutes, according to police.

Griss is currently on administrative leave from the police department.What a vague article. It sounds like another abuse of power by a State Attorney. I guess we will have to wait and see. I preay for Officer Griss and his family as well the the victim's family.

04-11-2007, 03:47 AM
Sounds like she was Jay-Walking to me

04-11-2007, 05:04 AM
These are the questions I ask:

- Was the pedestrian under the influence or had a history of mental illness? Maybe the victim was attempting suicide.

- Would a reasonable person step off a sidewalk seeing a car with its headlights on coming up the road?
- No one talks about this...Why did the pedestrian JAYWALK?

In order to be found guilty of this charge, they have to prove the elements of reckless driving. McCreary v. State

It's going to be hard for the state to prove this charge because if he has a good defense attorney, he will be able to prove that the victim contributed to his death by jaywalking.

Don't forget the county officer that allegedly killed the woman off u.s.1. She was found guilty and 2 yrs later during appeals, had the charges dropped. Why? Because speed alone isn't enough usually. And, in that case they didn't introduce the toxicology report showing the victim was under the influence of crack cocaine.

04-11-2007, 07:00 AM

There is something missing here. In order to charge vehicular homicide, which is basically the same as manslaughter, there has to be some element of recklessness on the part of the driver, i.e. excessive speed or reckless driving. The news article doesn't mention that. It also doesn't say if she was in a crosswalk or what.

04-11-2007, 10:37 AM
All the newer cars have the little black box that records the last several seconds of vehicle performence. When the car is involed in an accident, it retains the speed, if brakes were used, seat belt use etc. It started off as away for the car companies to check up on thier cars performence, But attorneys heard about them and they have become more important in cases like these. This is the third case in which the box has been used like this. Guys it just ain't worth it slow doowwwnnnn.......

04-11-2007, 11:24 AM
This has taught me that if I hit someone while going 40 mph over the speed limit I should gradually slow down to the speed limit, circle the block, and then slam on my brakes just shy of where the jay walker landed.

The black box will record that I was going the speed limit.

04-11-2007, 12:39 PM
This has taught me that if I hit someone while going 40 mph over the speed limit I should gradually slow down to the speed limit, circle the block, and then slam on my brakes just shy of where the jay walker landed.

BRILLIANT! CLEARLY YOU ARE AN EXPERT IN ACCIDENT RECONSTRUCTION! I WAS UNDER -- AND OBVIOUSLY ERRONIOUS ASSUMPTION -- THE ONBOARD COMPUTER, THE BLACK BOX AS YOU CALL IT, WOULD RECORD ALL SUDDEN IMPACTS, SLIGHT OR SIGNIFICANT AS WELL AS, ANY SUDDEN STARTS OR STOPS, STORING THAT INFORMATION IN A CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER OF OCCURRENCE, WHICH UPON ANALYSIS OF THAT DATA BASE, WOULD YIELD THE SEQUENCE OF EVENTS. IN THIS HYPOTHETICAL CASE, THE COLLISION, THE SLOW DOWN AND THEN SUDDEN BRAKING. THANKS!

04-11-2007, 01:01 PM

This is a pretty old case. If I recall correctly the officer is alleged to have been speeding (70-80) on his way back home after his shift. There is a former Metro cop currently serving time for this same sort of incident, except she was on-duty, responding to a call.

04-11-2007, 01:05 PM

And make it worse than it already is???? You might as well just keep going and make it an 18. Dont even think about it. Do you not think that the accident investigators will be able to determine the approximate speed based on physical evidence on both the vehicle and the subject.

04-11-2007, 05:02 PM
Again all I was trying to remind you is that it is one more piece of evidence to give to the state attorney do with it as you please.

04-11-2007, 10:24 PM
You are right ...make it an 18 and then call in your car as a 22. By the time the county responds you can ditch it in a canal and get a ride back to your house and put on your pajamas.

04-11-2007, 10:30 PM
i always knew all you cops is river cops. all you is thugs and crooks

04-11-2007, 11:45 PM
i always knew all you cops is river cops. all you is thugs and crooks Translation: Im learning to read and write, and some day I will be a school cross gaurd.

04-12-2007, 12:07 AM

I don't understand EBONICS

04-12-2007, 12:19 AM
He's an idiot. Learn to write and make coherent sentences before joining in the conversation.

05-15-2009, 10:45 PM
He's an idiot. Learn to write and make coherent sentences before joining in the conversation.

05-16-2009, 09:49 PM
Word,,,,,,,,,Go and polish your gold Toof and come back whe you have learned to speak english,,,,and dont come back AXING any questions

05-20-2009, 03:08 PM
Word,,,,,,,,,Go and polish your gold Toof and come back whe you have learned to speak english,,,,and dont come back AXING any questions

MARICON! I urinated in my pants and it's all your fault. HAHAHahahhhahhahheheheheheh. That was very funny. :lol:

05-21-2009, 01:57 PM

Hey stupid, river cops weren't SPEEDING, FOOL.