PDA

View Full Version : Why I stay

04-09-2007, 02:56 AM
First of all I am a CPO and enjoy the flex schedule. The pay could be better but all in all I think this can be the best job in the CJ system. It was a lot better when we had time to know our cases and attempt to get them to change. We also had credibility with the rest of the system. CPO's were respected by the courts, SAO and PD's.

The problem is that with the move towards LEO and paper accountability many have forgotten what our true jobs. We are first and foremost LEO to protect the community. This is the only function many, especially new recruits, are attempting to do. I see us losing professionlism every day in order to make arrests. I see many who will go to any length to make an arrest but will not take the time to actually listen to an offender. They will not lift a finger to assist or encourage an offender in making changes.

Believe it or not counseling and assisting in changes is also a form of community protection. If we assist an offender in making long term changes then they are less likely to commit a new offense thereby protecting the community long term not the nearsightedness of todays system. Getting a drug addict into treatment, I know is seems useless because of the failure rate, is also a movement towards community safety. Making a sex offender admit and get out of denial so they can move on is also a form of protecting the community.

I have posted jokes here at times because we have some CPO's that have really blurred the line. With the open firearms and 0 tolerance we have become jokes. No judgement calls because that means liability. God forbid we admit that Probation is not an exact science. We look bad once, Deltona which was an isolated incident, and the entire system is knee jerked. Did we need to increase PC arrests? Yes we did but it was overkill after Deltona. Discourage that part of the job for years and once an incident happens start arresting everyone for everything.

I am not against the PC arrest policies but I think we need to use discretion with the other situations. Not all VOPS need to be PC'd. As a younger officer I wanted to PC every VOP. The reality though is that it is detremental to the entire system. Who's comming out the back make room in the front?

The system is also failing us with our policies. No discretion. We are college educated robots. I stopped having to use my degree about 6 years ago.

Our administration is also failing us with policies that do not allow us to be effective in the community when we need to be. There is a time when discretion is needed. The officer should be trusted to act in the best interest of the state and not have to ask "mother may I". If it meets criteria or if the officer believes handcuffs need to be applied then we need to have the freedom to act. If we are properly trained why must we ask permission to do everything? Is there no trust in training?

The best officers I have ever seen are those that can balance both jobs and still function. Work with offenders when not a threat and lock them up quickly when they are. You can be hard, fair and compassionate at the same time. The best, most effective, officers are those that can do all three at once.

Bottom line is I stay because I am stuck in one respect. I have too much to lose by leaving. On the other hand, I still hold out hope that someday things will get better. I can try my best to make changes at my level- Which is a joke because no one listens to line staff unless it is in their best interest. Maybe just maybe one day I will be in a position to make changes. I just hope, if I ever get there, that the changes I will be making will be the ones facing the field staff at the time and not what I remember from when I was a PO 20 years ago.

With the current adminstration it is keep low and CYA. The Secretary may want openess but who else do you trust? Can you even trust the Secretary? He appears to be the real deal but the messages are not clear from admminstration. The code of conduct, oath, and mission statement are great but when was the last time you were trained on it or it was referred to? Has the adminstration followed the soul of the agency or do they continue to march to a drummer long gone? When things are made up to hang officers and no responses are recieved how are we suppose to think that the agnecy is ethical. When we are playing games with due dates how can we say we are ethical? When administartion supports unethical practices of employees how can we say we are ethical?

Why don't I trust? Because we still seem to be stuck with the same issues we had when Secretary's Crosby and Moore were in power. Not so much the corruption but management by fear versus leadership. The other issue is the tenure of the Secretary. Will he be here after this year? The adminstrators will be and they have long memories.

04-09-2007, 02:29 PM
Well stated and very true!!

04-10-2007, 07:02 PM
i stay here because i cant be a police officer or deputy sheriff. i failed out of both fto programs within a 6 year period. i am stuck here and not happy making the salary i am making.

04-10-2007, 09:34 PM
that was a good message.The zero tolerance policy really changed the probation side.we know are offenders better than anyone.we should have more input, not just check the block.I am all for public safety and if an officer feels that the offender should be taken into custody or be allowed to remain in the community should be allowed to make the call.However common sense should be utilized for violent acts or sex offender,violent prison releasees . they need to be no bonded until they until their vop hearing.Tech violations such as not paying costs on time,late getting into drug treatment should be looked at on a case by case basis. why i stay?I do like my job and i have alot of time vested.The department needs to address the pay issue.If not the turn over rate will continue to climb and this places stress onto good PO'S.

04-11-2007, 12:33 AM
Where did you learn to write? Romper Room? You need to do a better job of proof reading your work because you write like a second grader. You sound more like a Sparrow than a Bald Eagle! :snicker:

04-11-2007, 03:24 AM
H and H on the attack again, cutting down his fellow employees. Your monicker should be BACKSTABBER! Do you ever have any positive input toward your fellow officers or are you just destined for putdowns?

Not everyone had the educational opportunity afforded the more affluent such as your proclaimed self. Go pose in front of the mirror before your next attack. You may have a hair out of place. Oh, forget it, just flex those biceps baby! All the women will bow down to the self proclaimed God of P and P.

04-12-2007, 12:25 PM
You finally got something right, old man! :snicker:

04-14-2007, 10:47 AM
I did get it right- THE DC BACKSTABBER- and you admitted to it. All Hail to Mary!!!!!!! H and H admitted to being the almighty DC BACKSTABBER. Oh how confession blesses the soul!!

You simply prove a point with your responses- PUNKS need to learn respect both at home and at work. Now go ask your Momma for forgiveness since most PUNKS still live at home.

You can call me old all you want. FRS just sent me my statement and my DROP will be $176,772 in 2012 and DROP begins in June. Then I can ski the black diamond runs in Utah as much as I want while you my friend will still be inputting COPS and doing ETRAIN. This laugh is on you for a change.

And by the way, learn how to respect your co workers, both young and old. It will make your job alot easier and someone might use the word professional occasionally when your name comes up in a discussion.

04-15-2007, 07:41 AM
hey oldster you should of been a cop you would have more money $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ instead a small pension only half special risk also haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa 8)

04-15-2007, 01:21 PM
I did get it right- THE DC BACKSTABBER- and you admitted to it. All Hail to Mary!!!!!!! H and H admitted to being the almighty DC BACKSTABBER. Oh how confession blesses the soul!!

You simply prove a point with your responses- PUNKS need to learn respect both at home and at work. Now go ask your Momma for forgiveness since most PUNKS still live at home.

You can call me old all you want. FRS just sent me my statement and my DROP will be $176,772 in 2012 and DROP begins in June. Then I can ski the black diamond runs in Utah as much as I want while you my friend will still be inputting COPS and doing ETRAIN. This laugh is on you for a change.

And by the way, learn how to respect your co workers, both young and old. It will make your job alot easier and someone might use the word professional occasionally when your name comes up in a discussion.

So you're proud of ripping off the taxpayers all these years? Enjoy your retirement at the old folks home, I'm headed for Ybor City!. :snicker:

04-15-2007, 10:01 PM
Hey Stud Muffin,
Just curious what caused your hatred and disrepect towards veteran officers? Did one of them outshoot you on the range or show you up in DT?

As far as the old folks home, if you consider the black diamond slopes of Utah a nursing home, that's where I'll be when you are entering your COPS account.

In regards to ripping off the tax payers, when you can put Officer of the Year on your resume, lead firearms instructor in North Florida for over 10 years having trained over 100 officers in firearms, mentored dozens of rookie officers for over 20 years and been asked by FDLE to write a firearms program for the DC, then you can come talk to me about my value to DC and the State of Florida. Until then, you are just blowing smoke up your own a$$ to make yourself feel good at the expense of your fellow employees.

You obviously have your own agenda and it does not include your co- workers. I thank the Lord you do not work in my circuit as we do things to improve morale and not cut each other down as you continue to do on every posting you originate.

Remember, you can work hard and soar like an eagle or you can chose the course you are currently on by cutting down everyone else to make yourself feel good. Have a great day and grow up and value those you work with. They are called friends and you are in serious need of recruiting some.

04-16-2007, 01:28 AM
Hey Stud Muffin,
Just curious what caused your hatred and disrepect towards veteran officers? Did one of them outshoot you on the range or show you up in DT?

As far as the old folks home, if you consider the black diamond slopes of Utah a nursing home, that's where I'll be when you are entering your COPS account.

In regards to ripping off the tax payers, when you can put Officer of the Year on your resume, lead firearms instructor in North Florida for over 10 years having trained over 100 officers in firearms, mentored dozens of rookie officers for over 20 years and been asked by FDLE to write a firearms program for the DC, then you can come talk to me about my value to DC and the State of Florida. Until then, you are just blowing smoke up your own a$$ to make yourself feel good at the expense of your fellow employees.

You obviously have your own agenda and it does not include your co- workers. I thank the Lord you do not work in my circuit as we do things to improve morale and not cut each other down as you continue to do on every posting you originate.

Remember, you can work hard and soar like an eagle or you can chose the course you are currently on by cutting down everyone else to make yourself feel good. Have a great day and grow up and value those you work with. They are called friends and you are in serious need of recruiting some.

Funny how you mention you mentored so many officers over the years. I can remember my first year with the Department. It was horrible. No one really cared to teach me the right way to do things. They were to worried about their own time versus actually teaching me anything.

Then along came an angle. A CPSP who actually took the time. It didn't take much but I am grateful to this day. If she had not volunteered I would not be here today. I would have quit or been fired. The funniest part is that of all people you would expect to help, she had some personal issues she was dealing with, she is the best trainer I have ever learned from.

To this day there are certain officers and supervisors I respect and try to emulate. I try to help where and when I can but I am still in awe of many of my cowokers at all levels.

I guess what I am trying to say is than-you to you as well as the others that have stayed and have made a difference. Maybe not in the grand scope of the department but by making day to day survival a lot better.

04-16-2007, 04:13 AM
Mentoring is an important part of life, whether it be at home, work or in the community. I coached girls fastpitch softball for 14 years and mentored over 100 young girls starting at age 4 in Tball all the way through age 14. I still run into many of them who have grown up and the best feeling in the world is having one of them hug me and call me Coach Jamie. I made a difference in their lives and have been rewarded many times over watching them grow up. Some went on to play college ball and some never played again, but I taught them sportsmanship and how to be a winner in life whether we won the game or not.

Work is the same way. DC does not utilize an officer training program and newbees are ill prepared coming out of the academy, dependent on either their supervisor or a veteran officer. Some newbees are fortunate to have someone train them as you did and some are less fortunate and fail. I assist all new employees as best as I can and treat them with respect. Maybe that is why I banter with H and H so much because he doesn't get the picture. It is not about posing your huge biceps in front of the mirror and belittleling your fellow employess because they mispell a word or have imperfect grammer. It is about improving their performance and advancing their skill level. It is about working together as a team and making the situation work.

We all know DC has its issues, but putting down your co-workers just for $hits and giggles is immature and selfish and H and H is the King of Backstabbing. Too bad he can't grow up and be a part of the solution. Besides, his kind dies off quick and goes somewhere else anyway. Always in search of greener pastures, and those pastures have weeds as well.

DC has been good to me and I am proud of my career. No, I have not always been happy at work due to incompetent management, but I now have good managers all the way up to Region and it is reflected in my output and outlook.

Thanks for the comment about mentoring because it means something. If even one veteran will help someone tomorrow that needs assistance, this message has meant something.

04-16-2007, 05:30 AM
now if you were a cop retiring with 25 plus yrs you would have done something you were just a cpo thats it. it is not a big deal and the ob is not special.

04-16-2007, 11:15 PM
Officers of the Year? Gee, can I have your autograph because I am impressed! :snicker:

04-16-2007, 11:34 PM
All I ask is that you stop bashing your fellow employees. Not everyone was born with the same opportunities as you and some never developed the same work ethic that you and I have. I was raised very poor and took advantage of the scholarship opportunites afforded the poor in this counrty and as a result was able to get my education. Fortunately, it led to this job which has allowed me to raise my family in a fairly decent lifestyle and will provide for them for the rest of my life.

I am just curious what has caused your strong dislike for veteran officers as many of us work hard and are active in the community. Any insight in regards to this question.

I agree with you that there is a lot of dead weight hanging around, but not all of us fit in that category and rarely does one size fit all. Enough said about this topic. Let's move on to the important issues such as the upcoming pay raises and compression pay for the old guys like me with 15 years service or more.

04-17-2007, 11:51 AM
I STAY HERE AT DOC BECUASE I MAKE A GREAT SALARY AND GET A GREAT TAKE HOME CAR AND I AM ISSUED NEW GEAR EVER OTHER YEAR AS WELL AS A NEW YEAR BI YEARLY. I LVOE TEH CHALLENGING JOB AND ADVANCED LEO TRAINING I GET. I LOVE THAT EVER YEAR I MAKE MORE MONEY ON TOP OF THE RAISES AND MAINTAIN LONGIVITY PAY ALSO. I LOVE TEH YEARLY CLOTHING ALLOWANCE AND SHOE ALLOWANCES AND DRY CLEANING WE GET. I LOVE THAT I HAVE A JOB MOST CANNOT DO AND HAVE TO PASS A FTO AND EXTENSIVE BACK GRROUND CHECK TO OBTAIN. I LOVE THAT MANY PEOPLE WOULD LOVE TO DO THIS JOB AND THAT MY JOB IS HIGHLIGHTED ON TV AND BIG SCREEN ALOT. BEIGN A CPO IS THE THRILL OF A LIFE TIME. THIS JOB IS SO KOOL AND THE MONEY AND OPPORTUNIIES ARE SO GREAT.

04-17-2007, 12:14 PM
I STAY HERE AT DOC BECUASE I MAKE A GREAT SALARY AND GET A GREAT TAKE HOME CAR AND I AM ISSUED NEW GEAR EVER OTHER YEAR AS WELL AS A NEW YEAR BI YEARLY. I LVOE TEH CHALLENGING JOB AND ADVANCED LEO TRAINING I GET. I LOVE THAT EVER YEAR I MAKE MORE MONEY ON TOP OF THE RAISES AND MAINTAIN LONGIVITY PAY ALSO. I LOVE TEH YEARLY CLOTHING ALLOWANCE AND SHOE ALLOWANCES AND DRY CLEANING WE GET. I LOVE THAT I HAVE A JOB MOST CANNOT DO AND HAVE TO PASS A FTO AND EXTENSIVE BACK GRROUND CHECK TO OBTAIN. I LOVE THAT MANY PEOPLE WOULD LOVE TO DO THIS JOB AND THAT MY JOB IS HIGHLIGHTED ON TV AND BIG SCREEN ALOT. BEIGN A CPO IS THE THRILL OF A LIFE TIME. THIS JOB IS SO KOOL AND THE MONEY AND OPPORTUNIIES ARE SO GREAT.

Correction, Lucky Dog, you stay here because you are too much of a pansy-a$$ crybaby loser to leave and get another job. Stop blaming this place...no one has a gun to your head and I'm sure most of your co-workers will hold the door for you on your way out. I can handle people who hate their jobs. What sickens me is peices of sh*t like yourselves who come on here and complain about hating a job THEY CHOOSE TO BE IN!!!!! Do you not see that YOU are the loser, not us? Actually, it's quite funny to read your stuff over and over and over again. All I ask myself is "is this person not tired of themselves yet?" and I guess the answer continues to be "no".

So, Mr or Mrs Lucky Dog, keep posting your slam comments on here. All you do is make yourself look like an idiot for staying at a job you hate. You don't make ME look like a fool, I'm here because I want to be here. You, on the other hand, come on here and insult yourself more than you insult us. You can insult the job, that's no slam on me personally. But to ***** about how much of a loser job this is, when you're the one who stays here, is stupidity at it's finest.

But keep it up. And your funny screen names. We all love to hear from you. You should post at least 10 of these a day. We can't get enough!!!

04-17-2007, 12:20 PM
Amen to that!! I love to hear people complain about they job they have when they won't do anything to change it. Makes them look like the fool, not us. And the guy or gal who keeps posting the "woo hoo" comments tears me up! What intelligent dialog!! God, I love this place and my fellow man!!!!!!!!!!!

04-27-2007, 10:46 AM
i stay as a cpo becuase of the take home car, ot, step pay, longivity pay, details,training,equiptment,special units,kool job,cpo max out pay in 10 yrs at 64k, etc. i stay because people want this job and its top notch. :D

04-28-2007, 02:11 PM
i stay as a cpo becuase of the take home car, ot, step pay, longivity pay, details,training,equiptment,special units,kool job,cpo max out pay in 10 yrs at 64k, etc. i stay because people want this job and its top notch. :D

Yawn.

05-01-2007, 03:56 AM
I STAY BECAUSE I KNOW I HAVE A JOB MANY SEEK AND ALL OF THE OTHER LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS WANT BECAUSE ITS VERY HARD TO OBTAIN. THE MONEY IS AWESOME AND THE BENEFITS ARE GREAT THE OVERTIME AND EXTRA MONEY, TRAINING AND EQUIPTMENT IS STATE OF THE ART. OK I WORK WITH A BUNCH OF NON LEO'S AND ANYONE CAN GET THIS JOB AND ITS RATHER CRAPPY I TRIED. :lol:

05-01-2007, 11:20 PM
i stay for the big check and nice unmarked crusier i was assigned 2007 baby v8 and a fuel card to go with it take home policy and all. i love being a cpo it da bomb every college grad wants this job, come on you all know it. a career as a cpo $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, great leo training and high tech gear and weapons HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. :shock:

05-01-2007, 11:53 PM
i stay for the big check and nice unmarked crusier i was assigned 2007 baby v8 and a fuel card to go with it take home policy and all. i love being a cpo it da bomb every college grad wants this job, come on you all know it. a career as a cpo $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, great leo training and high tech gear and weapons HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. :shock:

yawn.

05-02-2007, 12:22 AM
I stay for the $1,000 :oops: