PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new union?

03-26-2007, 02:50 AM
Just so everyone knows, the International Brotherhood of Teamsters represents law enforcement officers. This is not new, just not very well known. The Teamsters will agressively represent it's members. Teamsters Local 385, http://www.local385.org has represented police officers and deputy sheriff's for well over ten years. Local 385 employs active and retired law enforcement officers as business agents to better represent it's members. These business agents have considerable experience in representing officers/deputies in internal affairs investigations and the disciplinary process. If your agency is not represented, or you are considering making a change, please contact the Teamsters. Teamsters has a hundred year history of representing members to improve wages, hours, and working conditions, no other union can say that.

03-26-2007, 02:55 AM
What about legal representation 24 hours a day when we shoot someone while doing the job? Do not want the oppressive goverment within Hialeah violating my civil rights.

03-26-2007, 11:16 PM
Just so everyone knows, the International Brotherhood of Teamsters represents law enforcement officers. This is not new, just not very well known. The Teamsters will agressively represent it's members. Teamsters Local 385, http://www.local385.org has represented police officers and deputy sheriff's for well over ten years. Local 385 employs active and retired law enforcement officers as business agents to better represent it's members. These business agents have considerable experience in representing officers/deputies in internal affairs investigations and the disciplinary process. If your agency is not represented, or you are considering making a change, please contact the Teamsters. Teamsters has a hundred year history of representing members to improve wages, hours, and working conditions, no other union can say that.

I think this would be good for us but to many people are probably scared to try. The majority of this dept. will not stand together for change.

03-27-2007, 01:43 PM
How long have we tried to get back to FOP and can't make it happen? whoever we have need to be a strong union while these manaics are in charge around here.

05-10-2007, 06:13 PM
BIG MISTAKE! Don't do it.

05-10-2007, 09:48 PM
Guys the PBA does great with MDPD and many other departments. Maybe we are the problem and not the union. Can the union force members to file grievances and picket the Mayor where ever he goes including his private life. A union is only as good as its members period. PBA, FOP, Teamsters does it really matter when all of your members are so scared they should be working in a shoe store and not carrying firearms.

:cry:

05-11-2007, 12:54 PM
[quote="POPO1"]Guys the PBA does great with MDPD and many other departments. Maybe we are the problem and not the union.

POPO1 is right! The union can't do $#it if its members aren't willing to do anything but whine like promiscuously deflowered 18-year-old females! What to do? YOU CAN ACT LIKE ADULTS AND SHOW SOME FORTITUDE!

On your days off picket all city council meetings; notify the media, bring the family, create the climate for change or swallow the load! Enough said!

05-11-2007, 02:54 PM
"Old Cop" you are 100 % right! However, we are so divided it is ridiculous. Just the other day I told someone that the administration could not discipline you for writing an average of under two citations a month. However, this person right away said no! We have fought that battle before and lost. So I challenged them to find me one counseling or any type of discipline that stated the officer was being discipline for writing under an average of 2.0 tickets a month or anything like that which uses the number 2.0 in it?

Guess what he could not! Why because the city can issue discipline for performing below the average patrol officer. So if everyone is writing at least two tickets, you will get discipline for writing below the standard. However, if everyone was writing closer to an average of one citation a day they would not be able to write you up. Yes I know that there will always be a few individuals that will kiss A$s and write more. However, that does not matter. What matters is what 80% to 90% of the patrol force writes. But we all know how divided they have us and that can never be done. Just like we can not get more than 10 people to picket the Mayor's residence! Yes his residence and not on a 62!!!!

So be happy with what you have and stop whining for more because none of us as a union or membership deserve anything more. Mr. Concepcion you are more powerful than our Union!!!!

PS I challenge anyone to find any disciplinary action reference citations which states on it the words an average of 2.0 citations per day or month!!!!

:x

05-11-2007, 08:33 PM
In 1982 150 HPD officers marched from Triangle Park to City Hall during the first contract negotiation with Raul. 150 uniformed chanting officers waved picket signs and packed the council chambers.
At that time it was just about every cop on the department, less the 6 that were on duty at the time and the other 6 that were sleeping from the midnight shift. It was the show of unity that got us what we wanted. It was on TV and in the papers and it worked, but it sparked a feud with Raul that haunted us for years.
I don't think there's enough unity to do that again.
About 5 years ago the Reps met with the PBA and requested that they back off in their attacks on the mayor and the chief to try and seek a truce. It worked to a degree and things improved somewhat.
I saw an article in the Heat recently that said that Robaina was one of the best mayors to work for in Dade County and I haven't seen any negative stuff about RDB in the Heat either. If keeping Hialeahs affairs on the down low is not working maybe the PBA needs to start cranking that up again in the Heat. John Rivera lives for that stuff and I'm sure he would be more than happy to slam the city in print again.
The PBA should also inform other agencies in the area that the city is using IA investigations to hinder the chances of officers who have applied at the other agenies and look into filing an unfair labor practices lawsuit on the city.

05-12-2007, 01:18 PM
will our dues be w/ the teamsters?

05-12-2007, 09:04 PM
EX-HPD is right. I was there at the tail end of it and I am still there now. I do think this mayor has better intentions that the old 5k but perphaps he needs to be enlightened just a tad. We need to make our situation public and make a stand. Making a stand does not mean work stoppage or slowdowns, that just gives them ammunition to fire back. Picketing, marching, getting the media involved, those are strategies we should consider. It also needs the be the vast majority getting involved, not just a select few. I do think the current mayor has aspirations to continue onward in his political endeavors, lets show him we have aspirations to continue onward in our law enforcement endeavors within the City of Hialeah. 100 already admitted on TV that our moral does not concern him, I bet the mayor will not make that same mistake.

05-14-2007, 07:43 PM
I writing this because I think there are a few officers in Hialeah who actually care about the city and want to be there and have a career there.
The previous 5K was on the Cuban radio every day telling people that the cops were no good lazy crooks, no better than the people they arrested. After a while the people started to believe it and that preception is still with you today. The community doesn't support you so why should the politicians want do anything for you. By not doing your jobs you play right into the hands of the administration by perpetuating the myth and allowing them to point at your stats to prove it. The administration has provided a great tool to use to your advantage. As long as you do the minimums they can't touch you.

STEP ONE:
The biggest mistake you can make is to take your frustrations out on the residents. Go out and do your jobs, but at the same time do some positive things out in the community to get them back on your side. Traffic is the best tool for making a positive contact with the voters. When you stop someone and see they are a resident/voter, give them a warning and make sure you tell them that you're letting them slide because they are Hialeah residents. Give them the feeling they are special.
Another good way to make public contacts are 62's. If the 62 is at a park or public place, get out a walk around. Say hello to people, give them an impression that you care....even if you don't. When you're in the nice neighborhoods wave at people as you drive by, stop and talk to them. You can try it in the projects too even if they don't use all their fingers when they wave back.
Act professional at all times. Don't give people the impression that you don't care about their problems. You're not doing this for them you're doing this for you!

STEP TWO:
Get the PBA involved in spreading some positive PR at the local level. John Rivera hablas espanol, he can act as a spokesman on the same Cuban radio stations that serve the politicians so well to spread the lies. Get the reps to go on talk shows and field questions from the listeners about the hostile conditions between the administration and the PD.
Public perception is not something that will change overnight but eventually the word will get out that Hialeah cops are not the rotten spoiled crybabies the mayor and police chief said they are.
The message you convey should be that the Hialeah Police Department is there for the citizens in spite of the low pay, negative politics, and apathetic administration.

STEP THREE:
Get politically involved. Identify the politicians who support you and support them. Since most of you don't live in the city, your vote doesn't count but your time and money do. Identify the politicians that don't support you and work to get them unseated. The mayor runs the city but the council can overrule the mayor. Work to get a majority of council members to support you. If you can't get them out by the electoral process look for alternatives. The way we got rid of the old 5K for a while was to get some dirt on him, turn it over to the feds and got him indicted. Unfortunately it was only temporary since the main witness against him changed his story after he got out of jail. But old 5K was out long enough for us to get some major benefits, like the 3 percent retirement multiplier and some insurance changes we never would have got while he was there.
Most politicians have something to hide. They profit from their power. The political corruption in Hialeah is out in the open so it shouldn't be too difficult to figure out who is crooked. You guys are cops, do some detective work. Who's having lunch with who over at Chico's.

Its all about respect. Get the community to respect you then you will command the repect from city hall. Show them that the police department is a political force to deal with.