PDA

View Full Version : OPS

03-22-2007, 10:04 PM
Why are Captains and Lt's allowed to work OPS? I thought that the idea behind OPS was to allow us to make some extra money without having to work off duty while simutaneously providing extra coverage for the parks.

The OPS in my district is very limited to times and days that I can work becaue the OPS budget is running low.

It is taking money out of patrols pockets and food off our tables for our families..

I can understand a few hours here and there when extra coverage is needed and officers are sort. Some of these Capt. and Lt's abuse it and fund their vacations. They make too much money an hour to work OPS at time and a half.

Officers are rarely allowed to work it if we have days off duting the week and want to work. We are restricted to weekends. If it is during our days off during the week, we are told that we have to work hours that are outside of our normal hours to deter us from working the hours.

Is it like this in all Districts?

03-23-2007, 04:04 AM
OPS is a touchy subject. If you polled people around the state, you would find a great deal of inconsistency as to how the funds are managed. All it would take for someone to see if certain captains / lieutenants are abusing it is to pull the biweekly spreadsheets. It ain't rocket science.

03-23-2007, 04:06 AM
Why are Captains and Lt's allowed to work OPS? I thought that the idea behind OPS was to allow us to make some extra money without having to work off duty while simutaneously providing extra coverage for the parks.

The OPS in my district is very limited to times and days that I can work becaue the OPS budget is running low.

It is taking money out of patrols pockets and food off our tables for our families..

I can understand a few hours here and there when extra coverage is needed and officers are sort. Some of these Capt. and Lt's abuse it and fund their vacations. They make too much money an hour to work OPS at time and a half.

Officers are rarely allowed to work it if we have days off duting the week and want to work. We are restricted to weekends. If it is during our days off during the week, we are told that we have to work hours that are outside of our normal hours to deter us from working the hours.

Is it like this in all Districts?

Captains and lieutenants don't get time and a half...it's a fixed rate. There is at least one corporal who earns more per hour on OPS than captains and lieutenants. It's fair.

03-23-2007, 04:12 AM
Why should I work OPS at times that are inconvenient for me when I can get 60 bucks an hour to work a construction detail?... :roll:

03-23-2007, 12:14 PM
Because not all of us can get off duty jobs, much less ones that pay $60 an hour. If we could, then the OPS money would not be an issue.

03-23-2007, 12:36 PM
OPS is a touchy subject. If you polled people around the state, you would find a great deal of inconsistency as to how the funds are managed. All it would take for someone to see if certain captains / lieutenants are abusing it is to pull the biweekly spreadsheets. It ain't rocket science.
Some Lt's actually do patrol work while on OPS to fill in the gaps where there are no officers or where there are vacancies. A bettter guage of abuse is not to check the spreadsheet, but check the activity. Did they write any tickets or warnings? If not, then they should stop using the OPS funds. This was created to provide more officers in the field during the busy times.

03-23-2007, 09:08 PM
Using it to fill in the gaps to help out their officers is fine and welcomed. I think that a check of both time sheets and activity is a good idea.

Also, what is the fixed rate that the Capt. and Lt's receive?

03-24-2007, 02:51 AM
Using it to fill in the gaps to help out their officers is fine and welcomed. I think that a check of both time sheets and activity is a good idea.

Also, what is the fixed rate that the Capt. and Lt's receive?

$35