PDA

View Full Version : ORLANDO AREA

03-19-2007, 01:14 PM
I AM A CERTIFIED POLICE OFC. AND AM APPLYING FOR FHP. I LIVE IN MIAMI AND AM MOVING TO THE ORLANDO/ORANGE COUNTY AREA. IS THERE ANY OVERTIME IN THAT AREA AND ARE THEY MANY OFF-DUTIES? I AM GOING TO TRY FOR THE TURNPIKE AS I WAS TOLD BY A CHIEF RECRUITER THAT LATERALS GET PREFERENCE AND WE CAN CHOOSE WHERE WE WOULD LIKE TO GO. PLEASE DONT TELL ALL THE NEGATIVES I HAVE READ IT ALL. OR IF SOMEONE FROM THE ORLANDO AREA CAN GIVE ME AN EMAIL ADDRESS SO I CAN CONTACT THEM WITH A FEW MORE QUESTIONS I WOULD APPRECIATE THAT.

03-19-2007, 02:43 PM
There is plenty of overtime. There is SOAR which pays time and a half. I'm not sure about the Orlando area, but our district allows us to work up to 18 hours of SOAR a week. There are also hireback jobs at various locations throughout the state that pays time and a half as well. I don't know about any off-duty jobs though, since I am not from the area. Sorry I can't help more.

07-26-2007, 07:14 PM
So can anyone else explain what the Orlando area is like with FHP? I have a feeling i'm going there.

07-27-2007, 01:30 AM
Orlando is like Miami was 25 years ago you go from crash to crash. There is lots of offduty. However if you are a crossover coming from another agency there has to be a vacancy position in the area for you to fill. I do believe the Turnpike is full now as they just got several transfers in. Orlando always has vacancies. Good Luck.

07-27-2007, 06:57 AM
So can anyone else explain what the Orlando area is like with FHP? I have a feeling i'm going there.

All I can say is I hope you like working crashes. In Orlando 90% of your time will be crashes. So if you dont enjoy working them save yourself now and leave.

07-28-2007, 03:01 PM

All I can say is I hope you like working crashes. In Orlando 90% of your time will be crashes. So if you dont enjoy working them save yourself now and leave.

So do most people who get sent to Orlando leave and transfer elsewhere shortly after they realize it sucks? Which leaves the troop even more understaffed, making it suck for the new troopers who arrive there, which makes them want to transfer, creating a vicious circle? :lol:

07-30-2007, 12:39 AM

So do most people who get sent to Orlando leave and transfer elsewhere shortly after they realize it sucks? Which leaves the troop even more understaffed, making it suck for the new troopers who arrive there, which makes them want to transfer, creating a vicious circle? :lol:

The same thing is happening with the ENTIRE FHP agency. The horrible agency issues are driving people out which is making everything more difficult on those we decide to stay or are waiting to get other jobs.

08-17-2007, 07:31 PM
I worked Orlando from '85 to '87. It's worst now (workload) as it was when I was there.

08-18-2007, 01:49 AM
Not to mention the fact that the crime rate in the Orlando area has skyrocketed recently. It's getting to not only be a daily parking lot on the roadways, but quite dangerous. Several Leo's have been shot there and in the Tampa area recently. Basically............it's not all Disney like.