PDA

View Full Version : NEW TOY

03-19-2007, 09:16 AM
The Florida Highway Patrol (FHP) has signed an agreement with StarChase LLC to become the second-beta test site for StarChase’s patented vehicle-tagging and tracking-pursuit management system. The first agreement was signed with the Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) to conduct trials of the new technology, which is designed to alleviate the need for high-speed chases of suspect vehicles.

The launching device is mounted behind a police vehicle’s grill. Courtesy of StarChase LCC
The StarChase system consists of a vehicle-mounted launching device, which discharges a tagging projectile containing a miniature Global Positioning System [GPS] receiver, battery, and radio transmitter embedded in an epoxy compound. The tag adheres to the suspect’s vehicle and transmits its location coordinates to a central server. Police dispatchers can view the vehicle’s location and movements superimposed on a computer map display through a secure Internet connection.

“The Florida Highway Patrol is pleased to collaborate with StarChase in the testing of its tagging and tracking-pursuit management system,” said Colonel Christopher A. Knight, director of the FHP. “This technology seeks to provide a solution to one of the most vexing problems faced by contemporary law enforcement. Too often, law enforcement officers are faced with the choice of whether to allow a suspect to escape or to give chase, which could potentially endanger the fleeing suspect, pursuing officer, or innocent bystanders.”

StarChase completed proof-of-concept trials in July 2005. The beta tests with LAPD and FHP will take place during the third quarter of 2006, with full commercialization by the end of the year.

In recent months, StarChase has also announced agreements with key suppliers for engineering and integration support in commercializing certain components of the system. Archetype, Inc. is supplying the GPS/GSM tracking module and the IP-based backbone architecture, and Metal Storm, an Australia-based company, is responsible for developing and integrating the launcher and projectile.

03-21-2007, 07:54 PM
The Florida Highway Patrol (FHP) has signed an agreement with StarChase LLC to become the second-beta test site for StarChase’s patented vehicle-tagging and tracking-pursuit management system. The first agreement was signed with the Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) to conduct trials of the new technology, which is designed to alleviate the need for high-speed chases of suspect vehicles.

The launching device is mounted behind a police vehicle’s grill. Courtesy of StarChase LCC
The StarChase system consists of a vehicle-mounted launching device, which discharges a tagging projectile containing a miniature Global Positioning System [GPS] receiver, battery, and radio transmitter embedded in an epoxy compound. The tag adheres to the suspect’s vehicle and transmits its location coordinates to a central server. Police dispatchers can view the vehicle’s location and movements superimposed on a computer map display through a secure Internet connection.

“The Florida Highway Patrol is pleased to collaborate with StarChase in the testing of its tagging and tracking-pursuit management system,” said Colonel Christopher A. Knight, director of the FHP. “This technology seeks to provide a solution to one of the most vexing problems faced by contemporary law enforcement. Too often, law enforcement officers are faced with the choice of whether to allow a suspect to escape or to give chase, which could potentially endanger the fleeing suspect, pursuing officer, or innocent bystanders.”

StarChase completed proof-of-concept trials in July 2005. The beta tests with LAPD and FHP will take place during the third quarter of 2006, with full commercialization by the end of the year.

In recent months, StarChase has also announced agreements with key suppliers for engineering and integration support in commercializing certain components of the system. Archetype, Inc. is supplying the GPS/GSM tracking module and the IP-based backbone architecture, and Metal Storm, an Australia-based company, is responsible for developing and integrating the launcher and projectile.

What's the deal? Did they implement it yet? Has anyone used one?

03-22-2007, 05:36 AM
They better get a faster patrol car if they expect us to shoot a mini gps tracker into the rear of someones car who is running from you.

12-16-2007, 07:01 PM
Are they still getting these?

12-16-2007, 08:07 PM
Dumbest thing I have ever seen. Technically we will have to "chase" them for a while in order to deploy this device. On top of that when we do find the car it will be sig 11 somewhere. Why don't we just chase like a real cop and actually try to reduce crime? The PIT is a wonderful thing.

12-16-2007, 08:13 PM
Beam me up Scotty!

12-16-2007, 09:31 PM
Beam me up Scotty!

Man you have to be kidding. Another bullcrap waist of my money that should go towards raises for troopers. Management should be fired like a losing coach. Change the pursuit policy and instill fear in the violators that run. Also I want my .357 back with a pearl handle. Grow a set of balls, chase the violators and beat them into submission if they resist.

12-17-2007, 09:20 PM
How can u deploy it if your not allowed to chase it?

12-17-2007, 09:52 PM
Punisher, waist is that thing hanging over your gunbelt. I think you mean waste!

12-17-2007, 10:11 PM
Punisher, waist is that thing hanging over your gunbelt. I think you mean waste!
You're right need to lose a few pounds!!! Thanks

12-21-2007, 02:05 PM
Star Wars!!

01-04-2008, 07:59 PM

01-04-2008, 08:11 PM
Beam me up Scotty!

Man you have to be kidding. Another bullcrap waist of my money that should go towards raises for troopers. Management should be fired like a losing coach. Change the pursuit policy and instill fear in the violators that run. Also I want my .357 back with a pearl handle. Grow a set of balls, chase the violators and beat them into submission if they resist.

Nah, we dont want to actually reduce crime.