PDA

View Full Version : Detention Deputy

03-15-2007, 08:59 PM
How long does the process take to get on as a detention deputy. Only been in trouble once as a juvie. Had a domestic thing about 11 years ago, but nothing happened. I was just told to leave for the night.

03-26-2007, 03:24 PM
Go down to the SAB and put in an application. That would be a start.

04-04-2007, 08:34 PM
Do employees get paid while they are going through the academy?

04-05-2007, 05:27 AM
They might for Detention, they cant hire fast enough. Call and ask

AlwaysRIGHT
04-17-2007, 05:17 AM
If you don't mind my asking, what is your ethnic background?

04-17-2007, 02:03 PM
What's the shift work like at the jail? How does it work? Do you bid? How often? How do they determine what part of the jail you're going to work in? I'm being serious, so I hope I don't get a bunch of flak on this. I know a lot of folks go there as a stepping stone to being on the road, but I'm not interested in that. Just looking for a fairly decent paying job change in my early 40's, and wanted to know what people there LIKE about working there (and dislikes too!)
Thanks everyone!

04-18-2007, 01:33 AM
Okay Guest, here is my personal opinion (it amounts to nothing more, and nothing less). The jail really is a great place to work. If you take your job seriously, have pride in yourself, have pride in your uniform, and take pride in what you do you will go far. The hardest things about working at the jail are fighting boredom and staving off negativity. Depending on what shift you work, things can get very boring. It is not that there is a lack of work to be done, but rather a lack of ability due to co-workers trying to remain uninvolved. While it is true that every job has it's share of lazy people, the jail is no place for these people, and yet they thrive. DO NOT let them mock you, prevent you, or have you grow bitter toward your chosen profession. In some cases, it seems almost as if there were certain people left on the payroll after so many years for that very purpose. A positive attitude and professional drive will take you far.

Also, remember a few other things. TAKE PRIDE IN WHAT YOU DO. This is NOT an easy job. It is depressing, frustrating, arduous at times, and thankless. Living with inmates can get well beneath your skin. Having to develope a rapport with them, finding ways to communicate with them (sometimes by getting on the level), and developing an attitude that commands respect in a one on 20 or so environment can leave you feeling tired and resentful. Some officers here forget this. They (again) become lackadazical (sp?), and they shirk their responsibilities. And please, for the love of God, take pride in being a CORRECTIONS OFFICER, and remember that you are NOT a POLICE OFFICER. Our job is dangerous, and their job is dangerous. We are well trained, and they are well trained. We both know how to kick ass and take names, and we both know how to be profession, courteous, respectful public servants. So, take pride in what you do and remember there is a difference between us. They enforce the law. They worked just as hard to get where they are as we did. Do not try to cut in on their action. That is disrespectful. I hate when I see our people doing that. The only reason we have to vie for position is because few people here realize how important this job is, and how much they are SUPPOSED to be doing (but don't), so they ride the coat-tails of road dogs. Don't do it. You will be a state certified criminal justice officer, the same as the road guys. The difference is job function. Remember that and do not try to be what you aren't. Most of them couldn't work our job, don't try to tell people that you work theirs. That will save you much grief and criticism. This profession needs Deputies who are proud to be in this facility, not malcontents that didn't want to risk trying to go to the police academy on their own dollar.

The shift work in this facility is good. There is never a shortage of things to do. The problem, as stated earleir, is finding someone to do them with you. As we get newer, and more motivated people this is becoming less of a problem. But, as it stands right now, our hands are almost tied. Policy prevents us from doing just about everything by ourselves out of the sheer virtue of the fact that, as a facility, we officers are severely outnumbered at any given time, and are thus required to do most everything in teams. This presents an obvious problem when one considers the lack of participation by our supposed team mates... which in turn leads to the incorrect and undeserved reputation this entire bureau has for being a bunch of lazy hacks.

I'm sorry for my rambling, but I hope I answered some of your questions. This is a great place to work. It is a great job to have. The training is outstanding, and this is some place to be if you are looking to see interesting and exciting things. Everyday is different and holds it's own challenges IF you do your job as an officer and actually work. Take pride, and do as much as you can. Take the training opportunities, try-out for CRT, put in for transfers, get your dual certification, and take your promotional exams. Good luck to you! Bottom line, this job is what you make it. Good day all, and stay safe everyone (Road Dogs, and Jailers)!

04-18-2007, 04:33 AM
you sound like a suck azz. the jail sucks. its micro management hell and a lot of jailers cry about dumb shit to their supervisors. simple fact is adult day care work with 1 % action. the road is a secretary with 1% action and lots of reports

04-18-2007, 08:11 AM
Don't listen to "fukk-u". He's just mad because he realized he can't get away with screwing his 10-15's before bringing them in anymore. He hates the jail, and obviously hates the road. So, either he's really a civilian, or just a $hitty deputy. My sympathy to the road dogs working with him. As I stated in my post, it is just my opinion. I love my job. I don't give a $hit about the sheriff, politics, or anything else. I just love what I do and try to be good at it. "Fukk" anyone that has a problem with that.

04-18-2007, 08:18 AM
And just for your information "fukk-u", in my squad alone our one percent of action for just today consisted of 8 shakedowns, four inmate fights, two batteries on staff (one resulting in a trip to the hospital), and a typical torrent of reports. That is just my squad... not even all of my division, and certainly not the entire bureau. And God only knows how much more crap the Road Dogs had to put up with. Thanks for your input civilian, but keep your nose where it belongs... in some politicians a$$.

04-20-2007, 10:19 PM
And yet he still had plenty of time to post on this site while on duty. i do hope the C.O. is ok. Just shows that not everyone is as motivated as they say they are :? . Also be careful about posting on this site while at work. AID is looking for more and more people to give time off.

04-28-2007, 04:50 PM
Thanks for the input. I'm a probation officer. I live in Pinellas but work in Hillsborough, and was giving thought to a career change. This may sound stupid, but don't you ever get bored, especially on the midnight shift?

04-30-2007, 03:40 PM
as with any job this one has its ups and downs. both first and second shift tends to be fairly busy and yes third gets slow. but its not impossible to get on first or second shift right away.

04-30-2007, 06:27 PM
thank, jailer. what are the shifts like now...8hrs, 10 or 12 hrs? How about requesting time off...is it usually given to new people? how often do you bid on them?